Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers "LGN" mock V9.0 (NOW W/REVISIONS)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KManX89

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Packers "LGN" mock V9.0 (NOW W/REVISIONS) Reply with quote

Contracts

Not Resigned/retired/released

WR Donald Driver-retired
C Jeff Saturday-retired
SS Charles Woodson-cut
TE Tom Crabtree-not re-signed
RB Cedric Benson-not re-signed
RB Ryan Grant-not re-signed
ILB Brad Jones-not re-signed
OLB Erik Walden-not re-signed
Greg Jennings-not re-signed
RB Brandon Saine-cut
TE Ryan Taylor-cut
TE Tom Crabtree-not re-signed
RB James Starks-cut

Re-signed:

C Evan Dietrich-Smith

CB Sam Shields

ILB Jamari Lattimore

Extended:

Aaron Rodgers-6 years, $90 mil ($15 mil/yr avg) w/escalator incentives that can up his salary to $22 mil/season, $40 mil guaranteed
(This will lower his cap hit for 2013 by around $1.5 mil)

Jermichael Finley-Extended and restructured; 4 yr, $20 mil ($5 mil/yr avg; replaces 1 yr/$8.5 mil contract, frees up $5.5 mil cap savings for 2013), $12 mil guaranteed

B.J. Raji-8 yrs, $68 mil ($8.5 mil/yr avg), $30 mil guaranteed

Clay Matthews-8 yrs $89.5 mil ($11,187,500/yr avg), $35 mil guaranteed

Free Agents:

FS Michael Huff (OAK)/4 yrs, $18 mil ($3.75 mil cap hit in 2013)

Packers nab yet another DB from the Raidahs, and decide to fill the gaping hole at FS with a proven commodity rather than taking a gamble on a draft pick or the unproven duo of M.D. Jennings/Jerron McMillian.

RB Ahmad Bradshaw (NYG)/3 yrs, $8 mil ($1.75 mil cap hit in 2013)

Filling gaping holes at both RB and FS (and at cap-friendly deals for both) allows TT to go BPA.

**TRADE DOWN: Packers trade 1st round pick [26] to SF for their 2nd acquired from KC [34] and 3rd [95].

34. CB/FS Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State
6'3" 185 lbs.

Originally projected as a top 15 pick, Johnthan Banks' stock has slid considerably after a poor showing at the combine. However, still wanting to upgrade the secondary after signing FS Michael Huff from the Raidahs, and valuing tape over Combine numbers, TT trades down to the Niners early 2nd acquired from the Chiefs for Alex Smith. The Niners move up to acquire a coveted DL like Hankins to groom and eventually replace Justin Smith (or an edge-rusher like Damontre Moore to give them a nice, solid rotation with Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks at OLB). In doing so, they get perfect value for the once highly-valued CB (originally projected to the Bucs at #13 prior to the Combine, who will now most likely be taking Rhodes there). Banks is a true shutdown corner, having defended 41 passes with 15 interceptions in his 4 years at Mississippi State. He also has the size needed to cover the biggest and most physical WRs in the NFL, and is a good blitzer against both the run and pass (remind you of anyone previously on the Packers?)

TRADE W/MIAMI: Packers trade CB Tramon Williams and a 2014 conditional pick to MIA for their 2nd [43].

TT sees an ample opportunity here after trading down and acquiring Banks and immediately pounces on it. The chance to dump Tramon's hefty salary for all of his tackling woes the last couple years (good luck playing in a division with Brady and Co.) and replace him with a corner like Banks while acquiring an extra pick in the process was too good to pass up. The Dolphins, meanwhile, have the ammunition to spare with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, so TT calls GM Jeff Ireland up and ships Tramon away to the Dolphins along with a conditional pick in next year's draft (either a 3rd or 4th rounder depending on performance) for their 2nd rounder.

43. DT/DE Datone Jones, UCLA
6'4" 284 lbs.

After trading Tramon away to the 'Phins, TT sees perfect value for a badly-needed defensive linemen (after getting perfect value for a coveted DB, match made in Heaven) and pounces. Datone Jones is a pure 3-down DE, having the perfect mix of blazing speed coming off the edge, pass rush (5.5 sacks in 2012) ability, run support (a whalloping 19 TFL in 2012), and having extensively played DE in UCLA's 3-4 defensive scheme. He also has the ideal size and weight, which is sorely needed in GB's DL core.

57. WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee
6'4" 204 lbs.

TT decides to make it up to the GB faithful after being snubbed on resigning Jennings by taking the ultra-skilled Justin Hunter, who slides all the way to the Packers' 2nd pick at #57. Justin Hunter saw his production drop off some last year, coming off an ACL tear, but still had a nice year, and was a beast racking up YAC in his early years at Tennessee. Can line up either outside or in the slot, much like the guy he's replacing. Plus, his size makes him an even more dangerous target with Aaron Rodgers tossing him the ball. Also gives us needed insurance in case Jordy continues to suffer foot troubles next year.

90. TE Travis Kelce, Cincinnati
6'6" 260 lbs.

Nice complimentary TE to pair with Finley in 2 TE sets, which MM vows to use a lot of to keep defenses honest (and to help eradicate the 2 deep safety sets we were constantly faced with last year), a total monster in all 4 phases of the game (catching, making YAC, route-running and blocking, which will also help the run game).

95. C/OG Brian Schwenke, Cal
6'3" 308 lbs.

Solid run-blocker, and an even better pass-protector. Packers get nice value for him late in the 3rd round, and can shoe-in as the starter right away, with EDS providing nice depth. Can also be moved to guard if injuries along the OL call for it.

121. DE/OLB Corey Lemonier, Auburn
6'4" 246 lbs.

Nice rotational OLB for MM and Dom Capers, can also be utilized in 5 LBer sets and in Capers' psycho packages with Perry, Matthews and Lemonier all on the field rushing the QB simultaneously.

[b]154. WR Tavarres King, Georgia
6'1" 200 lbs.

Having extra picks and no needs gives TT the luxury of double-dipping at the receiver position here. Tavarres King is an underrated prospect who showed flashes at Georgia, but was never fully utilized to his max potential due to the lack of a star QB. Can also shoe-in as a replacement for DD, and add depth.

167. (COMP) DT/NT Brandon Moore, Texas
6'5" 325 lbs.

Depth player on the DL, can play DE or NT to spell Raji. He's very raw, though, but showed flashes of pass-rush/penetration in limited snaps at Texas with 2.5 sacks. Also has the ideal size that we desperately need to see more of on our DL.

184. QB Matt Scott, Arizona
6'3" 197 lbs.

TT finally addresses the backup QB spot by taking Arizona QB Matt Scott. We finally have our own read-option QB, albeit a backup, with a bit more upside than Graham Harrell, who has now slid to our 3rd string QB spot (sorry, Grahammy).

217. K Dustin Hopkins, Florida State
6'2" 190 lbs.

With the last pick, TT drafts a kicker to compete with Mason for the starting job in TC.

53 man Roster
Offense
QB: Aaron Rodgers | Matt Scott | Graham Harrell
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw | DuJuan Harris | Alex Green
FB: John Kuhn
WR: Jordy Nelson | Randall Cobb (KR) | James Jones | Justin Hunter | Tarvares King | Jeremy Ross (PR)
TE: Jermichael Finley | Travis Kelce | Andrew Quarless | D.J. Williams
LT: Derek Sherrod | Marshall Newhouse
LG: T.J. Lang
C: Brian Schwenke | Evan Dietrich-Smith
RG: Josh Sitton
RT: Bryan Bulaga | Don Barclay

Defense
LDE: Ryan Pickett* | Mike Neal | Mike Daniels
NT: B.J. Raji | Brandon Moore*
RDE: Datone Jones* | Jerel Worthy* (PUP) | C.J. Wilson
LOLB: Nick Perry | Dezman Moses
LILB: A.J. Hawk | D.J. Smith
RILB: Desmond Bishop | Jamari Lattimore | Terrell Manning
ROLB: Clay Matthews | Corey Lemonier
CB: Johnthan Banks | Davon House | Jarrett Bush
SS: Morgan Burnett | M.D. Jennings |
FS: Michael Huff | Jerron McMillian
CB: Sam Shields | Casey Hayward

Special Teams
K: Mason Crosby (or Dustin Hopkins depending on who wins the starting gig in TC, if Crosby wins, then DH is delegated to PS)
P: Tim Masthay
LS: Brett Goode

**NOTE: IF Worthy returns next year (and it seems like a big "if" at this point), either C.J. Wilson or Mike Daniels is cut. Pickett goes to backup NT behind Raji, Datone Jones goes to starting LDE, and Brandon Moore is moved to backup LDE/RDE depending on whichever player is let go (Wilson or Daniels).

WR Jarrett Boykin, RT Andrew Datko, LG Greg Van Rotten, C Garth Gerhart, CB James Mixon, S Chaz Powell and NT Jordan Miller delegated to PS (and K Dustin Hopkins if Crosby retains starting gig).

Last edited by KManX89 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 am; edited 2 times in total
persiandud

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of things happening in this mock... Shocked
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut, then re-sign Lattimore...

Not big on Bradshaw, but I know others are.

Pick CB, Trade Tramon. Profit? Meh.

Not sold on your board value, lot of guys low, but you got the time wizard, and that's what counts.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodgers isn't going to take less guaranteed money than Flacco - get serious. You need to up that guarantee by 10 million per year. Why - because he's earned it. I actually like your numbers for Mathews and Raji and Finley - that's more like it.

I don't like 1st round trade downs and not this year when a player of need with a rating equivalent to pick 26 should be there, and that is a spot in round 1 where a player can drop who was projected much higher. SF also has some cap issues and may not be in position to afford another 1st round draft pick and why would TT give SF another 1st rounder - makes no sense to me. Love your picks though 2 WR's makes no sense looking at the Packers current roster.
SE500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like your offseason moves. Love the free agent signings. I don't know how unlikely they are, but I do know you are not going to get Rodgers to sign a deal like you propose. I also do not think you get CM3 that cheap.

As for the draft, Williams isn't going anywhere in a trade. I do not like Banks, especially when we remain with a great need in the D-line. Beyond that I like your picks just fine...
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SE500 wrote:
I really like your offseason moves. Love the free agent signings. I don't know how unlikely they are, but I do know you are not going to get Rodgers to sign a deal like you propose. I also do not think you get CM3 that cheap.

As for the draft, Williams isn't going anywhere in a trade. I do not like Banks, especially when we remain with a great need in the D-line. Beyond that I like your picks just fine...

+1. As much as I hate Williams, we're more likely to restructure than trade unless someone overpays for him. Datone Jones will NOT be at 43 and I'm not sold on Banks either. Other than that, and barring the last two picks, I don't think this draft is that bad.
KManX89

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot, having Jamari Lattimore listed as "cut" and then resigned... that was copy and pasted from my last mocks, and I forgot to take it out. I just noticed that. Laughing It's fixed now.
spilltray

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
that was copy and pasted from my last mocks, and I forgot to take it out. I just noticed that. Laughing It's fixed now.

Try starting from scratch. That will (hopefully) keep it from seeming like more or less the same mock every time and cut down on mistakes.

And seriously, some of the moves are just way too "Madden".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KManX89

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I decided to keep Pickett this time around, since he can be utilized at backup NT behind Raji if/when Worthy comes back (hopefully so, keep your fingers crossed), which we badly need someone to reduce Raji's snap count (he's in his contract year, anyway). Plus, trading Tramon and extending Finley for less saves us an additional $10 mil for 2013, leaving us with $34-36 mil (mind you, that's including rollover money from last year), plenty of dough to target a cap-friendly FA or 2 and extend Rodgers, Raji and Matthews (this puts us at $28.5-30.5 mil for 2013 after signing Huff and Bradshaw). It also guarantees us some rollover money for next year after resigning them, which we'll also need because Bradshaw, Huff, Finley, Rodgers, Raji, and Matthews' salaries will gradually increase with each passing year on their contract, especially Rodgers (though I think he'll settle for less than the $22-25 mil he's worth in reality to help us contend for another SB, which is why I had us extending him for a $15 mil per year extension with escalator incentives in his contract). I also retained Hawk without drafting an ILB to replace him since he took a massive paycut. He gives us that flexibility now, at least for another year. Maybe in next year's draft, we can potentially look at an ILB to groom, eventually replace him, provide depth, whatever, but for now, I think we're good there, since Bishop and Smith will be returning and Manning will have another offseason under his belt.

And trading down to the Niners' 2nd from KC for Smith and an extra 3rd and getting Banks there while trading Tramon to Miami for a 2nd is genius for 2 (actually, make it 3) reasons: 1)the Phins have a hole at CB opposite Patterson with a ton of early round picks to spare (plus they get an extra 3rd or 4th rounder next year), 2)Banks can potentially be that interception king-type ballhawk we've lacked at LCB since Tramon's 2010 season, in which case, teams wouldn't even think about passing the ball on us with him, Burnett, Huff, and Shields/Hayward sharing the same backfield. If not, then Shields and Hayward are more than capable starting corners with him and House as depth and 3)it saves us $4.5 mil this year, and $7 mil next year, which will go a long way in locking up our big 3 to long-term deals (paying all this money for a guy who continues to be a liability in tackling, especially in the run game, makes me cringe).
pacnwpackfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"... teams wouldn't even think about passing the ball on us with him (Banks), Burnett, Huff, and Shields/Hayward sharing the same backfield."

I think you are being kind of a homer, because I don't think that backfield particularly would scare any NFL team. Not a poor defensive backfield, but not great under any stretch of the imagination.
BadgerBoy001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every single on of those guys is a Fairly big reach. I'm guessing your first 3 prospects are all gone by the end of round one. I know it's possible the vikings pick 2 of them. Jones is also probably only gonna rise more as the process goes long. Rodgers contract is too low as well.

And just out of curiosity, when was the last time TT traded out of the first? I don't understand why everybody does it.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you definitely got 4 guys I would like to see in Green Bay this time at least. If the Pack get Lemonier, Schwenke, Hunter and Kelce....I will really like the draft. Those four are on every short list I do when I compile my preferred scenario.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadgerBoy001 wrote:
Every single on of those guys is a Fairly big reach. I'm guessing your first 3 prospects are all gone by the end of round one. I know it's possible the vikings pick 2 of them. Jones is also probably only gonna rise more as the process goes long. Rodgers contract is too low as well.

And just out of curiosity, when was the last time TT traded out of the first? I don't understand why everybody does it.

2008 was the last time we traded out of the first and we did it because we liked Jordy Nelson and wanted to grab him before Minnesota did. Since we put a higher premium on picking Nelson in the 2nd vs. anyone on our board in the 1st, we traded down and picked up an extra 2nd in the process(blowing it on Pat Lee), which at that time, was very lucrative to TT. That said, I can see us doing the same thing this year if Datone Jones or someone of that ilk isn't there at 26.

I actually think there is a strong possibility of Banks and Hunter being available in the 2nd. Banks is a lot like Brandon Browner both in size and aggression. Banks has great ball skills as well. Like Browner, his doesn't have great straight-line speed(4.61 40). So given his lack of speed and a few issues regarding his technique and motor, he'll slide down into the 2nd, possibly further if teams start taking gambles in the 1st round the way Seattle and Chicago did last year.

The same goes for Hunter who actually goes to the Packers in the 2nd in several mocks I've seen recently. The deal with Hunter is that he's got that 4.4 40 that you want out of a WR, but he needs to work on his route-running, decision making, and he's a bit soft over the middle(alligator arms was used in a scouting report I read recently). Detroit brought him in for a workout recently so if we pass on him in the 2nd, provided Detroit or someone else doesn't pull the trigger on him first, he'll definitely go early 3rd round. I think we could be a great fit for him at 55 if he's there because he could develop behind Jones, Nelson, and Cobb for a couple years before sliding up to the #2 or #3 spot.
BadgerBoy001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
BadgerBoy001 wrote:

2008 was the last time we traded out of the first and we did it because we liked Jordy Nelson and wanted to grab him before Minnesota did. Since we put a higher premium on picking Nelson in the 2nd vs. anyone on our board in the 1st, we traded down and picked up an extra 2nd in the process(blowing it on Pat Lee), which at that time, was very lucrative to TT. That said, I can see us doing the same thing this year if Datone Jones or someone of that ilk isn't there at 26.

I actually think there is a strong possibility of Banks and Hunter being available in the 2nd. Banks is a lot like Brandon Browner both in size and aggression. Banks has great ball skills as well. Like Browner, his doesn't have great straight-line speed(4.61 40). So given his lack of speed and a few issues regarding his technique and motor, he'll slide down into the 2nd, possibly further if teams start taking gambles in the 1st round the way Seattle and Chicago did last year.

The same goes for Hunter who actually goes to the Packers in the 2nd in several mocks I've seen recently. The deal with Hunter is that he's got that 4.4 40 that you want out of a WR, but he needs to work on his route-running, decision making, and he's a bit soft over the middle(alligator arms was used in a scouting report I read recently). Detroit brought him in for a workout recently so if we pass on him in the 2nd, provided Detroit or someone else doesn't pull the trigger on him first, he'll definitely go early 3rd round. I think we could be a great fit for him at 55 if he's there because he could develop behind Jones, Nelson, and Cobb for a couple years before sliding up to the #2 or #3 spot.

The more I look at it I guess I could see banks sliding out of the first. I really doubt that happens with jones or hunter though.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

If you scroll down a bit, their is some talk about Justin hunter. Your definately under rating hunter. Ill almost guarantee he goes in the first.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadgerBoy001 wrote:
If you scroll down a bit, their is some talk about Justin hunter. Your definately under rating hunter. Ill almost guarantee he goes in the first.

Thanks for the link, I was using CBS's rankings on Hunter. They have him as the 62nd ranked prospect overall right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: