Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

$19.8 million in cap space: What can we do with it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpnesdude41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmishMafia wrote:
Ronald323 wrote:
need all that

a-rod 18 mil a year

clay 12 mil a year

bj 8 mil a year

Rodgers current cap hit is 10 mil
Clay is 5 mil
and bj is 6.6 mil

Therefore, the increase in cap from the numbers you have are:

a-rod 8 mil
Clay 7 mil
bj 1.4 mil

or 16.4 mil

TT offered Jennings 8 mil per year, so I am betting the contracts he intends to get done, and structured such that we will have at least 8 mil in FA signing money - if need be.

Just adding some perspective here, Jennings and Woody were 2 of the 3 highest base salaries we had. I think them leaving this year is exactly what we needed to keep all these guys around.
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpnesdude41 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
cpnesdude41 wrote:
byzr wrote:
if my thinking is right, Rodgers has 2 years left, and Raji and Clay have are in their contract years, right? if that's right i'd probably say we should have Rodgers and Matthews as the priorities. Get Rodger's and Matthews contracts out of the way.

No Raji and Rodgers aren't FA's til 2015, Matthews 2014.

Rodgers and Matthews probably get re-signed sometime this year. We can def wait on Raji. Plenty of cap and plenty of time. My question is whether or not we have the cash for Rodgers and Matthews...

Raji's year 5 is a voidable year which WILL be voided.

Not by the Packers it won't. His base salary is only a hair over $2mil.

I'm pretty sure either side can void it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blankman0021

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Sign me as a back up K for $15 million, 1 year, fully guaranteed. Pending that I spell my name correctly on the contract. Laughing

You'd be better as backup punter or long snapper. With how erratic Crosby was last year you might actually be forced into action Shocked

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
blankman0021

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
cpnesdude41 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
cpnesdude41 wrote:
byzr wrote:
if my thinking is right, Rodgers has 2 years left, and Raji and Clay have are in their contract years, right? if that's right i'd probably say we should have Rodgers and Matthews as the priorities. Get Rodger's and Matthews contracts out of the way.

Rodgers and Matthews probably get re-signed sometime this year. We can def wait on Raji. Plenty of cap and plenty of time. My question is whether or not we have the cash for Rodgers and Matthews...

We talked about this earlier. I'm fairly sure that it auto voids if certain incentives are hit. From what was said, those incentives have been triggered and he is in the last year of his deal.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
rbens06

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
cpnesdude41 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
cpnesdude41 wrote:
byzr wrote:

If anything it would be year 6. He was drafted in 2009 meaning a 5 year deal would have him hit free agency after the 2013 season. I personally thought the deal signed was a 5 year deal. However, based on other rookies from that class all the voidable years are based on playing time and are automatically voided if that amount of time is hit. Raji would have most definitely hit that playing time clause.

Quote:
Raji's five-year deal is worth $28.5 million, according to an NFL source familiar with the numbers. The guaranteed portion of the contract is worth just under $18 million.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/53185617.html
Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what TT is doing with the cap space...

Rotoworld.com wrote:
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Live that Aaron Rodgers' impending extension with the Packers is expected to be worth over $100 million across four years.
"This is a very simple deal to do for Aaron Rodgers," said Schefter. "There are many people around the league who are expecting a four-year, $25-plus million extension a year. ... That's how that deal is going to come down when it comes down." Schefter confirmed the Packers have been preparing to complete the new deal this offseason, sitting on their salary cap space to lock up Rodgers through age 35. Rodgers is 29 years old. His current deal has two years left.

25 million over 4 years is going to be quite a bit of cap space no matter how the contract is built. However, it's an extension, it'll be $19.9 Million per year over 6 years. He has base salaries of 9.25 million and 10.50 million over the last two years of his current deal. So if it's a true "extension" and they don't just rip up his current deal, it'll be about 20 million per over 6 years with the numbers Schefty is reporting.

Kempes on the custom sig!
dijatool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Pencil in another 5 million for draft and UDFA, and you're looking at an extra $9,117,486ish in cap space.

I have 4.5M for the rookie/UDFA bonus pool but no notes about where I got those numbers.

Don't forget 4.5ish for Sam and EDS, maybe 900k for Benson and some kind of rainy day fund.

Dubyajay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:

Rotoworld.com wrote:
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Live that Aaron Rodgers' impending extension with the Packers is expected to be worth over $100 million across four years.
"This is a very simple deal to do for Aaron Rodgers," said Schefter. "There are many people around the league who are expecting a four-year, $25-plus million extension a year. ... That's how that deal is going to come down when it comes down." Schefter confirmed the Packers have been preparing to complete the new deal this offseason, sitting on their salary cap space to lock up Rodgers through age 35. Rodgers is 29 years old. His current deal has two years left.

25 million over 4 years is going to be quite a bit of cap space no matter how the contract is built. However, it's an extension, it'll be $19.9 Million per year over 6 years. He has base salaries of 9.25 million and 10.50 million over the last two years of his current deal. So if it's a true "extension" and they don't just rip up his current deal, it'll be about 20 million per over 6 years with the numbers Schefty is reporting.

That is ridiculous. There needs to be a % position cap, IMO.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
Ketchup wrote:

Rotoworld.com wrote:

That is ridiculous. There needs to be a % position cap, IMO.

there is.

It's set by each team individual per their discretion.
Big Gilly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:

Rotoworld.com wrote:

SO, if this were true, would Rodgers cap hit remain unchange for the next two seasons, as he plays out the original contract? If so, that would fall in line with the expected bump in cap space for 2015, and would keep the Packers at 19+ mil of space this year to address Matthews and Raji. Seeing as Matthews is already counting for about 5 mil of cap space today, structuring a front loaded deal which would hit us for about 15 mil of cap space this year would still leave us about 9 mil for other deals and signing our draft class. Is my thinking correct?
KManX89

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmikep wrote:
This might be closer.
A-ROD= 22m
CLAY= 12-13m
BJ= 5-6m Packers could draft replacement !!!!!!

Why does everyone keep talking about possibly replacing Raji? He's WAY too valuable for us to let that happen. Plus extending him should be easy, as he won't cost much more than his current deal thanks to the old CBA. Laughing
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Sign me as a back up K for $15 million, 1 year, fully guaranteed. Pending that I spell my name correctly on the contract. Laughing

You'd be better as backup punter or long snapper. With how erratic Crosby was last year you might actually be forced into action Shocked

Spoiler alert: I would miss FGs too... Worse. Laughing

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
KManX89

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/2013/

Quote:
TEAM | OFFENSIVE CAP | DEFENSIVE CAP | CAP ROLLOVER | EST. TOTAL CAP| CAP SPACE
27. Green Bay Packers | 52,794,863 | 53,133,021 | 7,000,000 | 103,304,181 | 19,695,819

Est. total cap space is not including rollover money BTW, although the math on the est. total cap seems to be a little bit off, I got our total cap at $105,927,884 when I added them up. That still leaves us with $17,072,116, $24,072,116 including rollover cap money (okay, so I'll admit I was a little off on total cap space in my last post, but not by much).

Last edited by KManX89 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Ketchup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Gilly wrote:
Ketchup wrote:

Rotoworld.com wrote:

SO, if this were true, would Rodgers cap hit remain unchange for the next two seasons, as he plays out the original contract? If so, that would fall in line with the expected bump in cap space for 2015, and would keep the Packers at 19+ mil of space this year to address Matthews and Raji. Seeing as Matthews is already counting for about 5 mil of cap space today, structuring a front loaded deal which would hit us for about 15 mil of cap space this year would still leave us about 9 mil for other deals and signing our draft class. Is my thinking correct?
Don't know until Rodgers signs the extension but the cap hits will more then likely change because he's bound to get a pretty sizable signing bonus.

Kempes on the custom sig!
CWood21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/2013/

Quote:
TEAM | OFFENSIVE CAP | DEFENSIVE CAP | CAP ROLLOVER | EST. TOTAL CAP| CAP SPACE
27. Green Bay Packers | 52,794,863 | 53,133,021 | 7,000,000 | 103,304,181 | 19,695,819

Est. total cap space is not including rollover money BTW, although the math on the est. total cap seems to be a little bit off, I got our total cap at $105,927,884 when I added them up. That still leaves us with $17,072,116, $124,072,116 including rollover cap money (okay, so I'll admit I was a little off on total cap space in my last post, but not by much).

It does count for rollover.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap-hit/

Scroll to the bottom.
Active Contract: 114,862,884
Top 51 Rule: 110,182,884
Dead Money: 121,297
Rollover Money: 7,000,000
Rollover Cap Space: 103,304,181

So that means the Packers have a little under 19.7 million in cap space.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: