Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our situation at Safety
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
We should make an ask palmy thread. If palmy would be up to that.

That seems to be all this is.

To be fair, however, if you poll people who don't get paid to do this which position they find the hardest to evaluate, the overwhelming response will probably be "Safety".

Yeah, being safety scout was interesting Razz

PSN: ShiiNyIV
HokieHigh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is Ed Reed not getting any love here?
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HokieHigh wrote:

Because he's old, lost a few steps and still expects to be paid like he was Ed Reed of 3 years ago?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
HokieHigh wrote:

Because he's old, lost a few steps and still expects to be paid like he was Ed Reed of 3 years ago?

Wants 7M a year.

Pretty shocking :S

PSN: ShiiNyIV
Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
HokieHigh wrote:

Wants 7M a year.

Pretty shocking :S
He's never going to get that. And if he keeps bulking at the offers from Houston and Baltimore, he's going to lose even more money. He's one of those odd ball guys though that might just retire if he can't get the money he thinks he's till worth.

Kempes on the custom sig!
Madtown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reed is a guy I'd love to have if we had a speed demon at the other safety position. Unfortunately, that's what I feel we're lacking.
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British wrote:
Palmy, what's your take on trying out House at safety?

I don't make that move until he fails at CB. Might need him at CB pending how everything goes with Williams in the near future. Doubt they love Hayward much outside. But a combo of Shields and House outside with Hayward over the slot sure looks the part on paper.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Huff would be a very good signing for this team. He's not an amazing safety, but I think his strengths fit well with what the team needs right now. Plus, it would allow TT to go into the draft feeling pretty good about the secondary.
pacnwpackfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safety is one of the top positions we need to address in FA; I think it is up there with ILB, considering the injury and talent concerns going into the year.

The loss of Collins obviously was a big one and the team hasn't recovered from that. Burnett is an average NFL safety and he is the best we have. None of the other guys give me any belief that they can be consistently good starters that both have the physicality and coverage skills we need.

In this draft, I like Elam alot. I also like Phillip Thomas and Shawn Williams in the late 2nd Round as they appear to be guys that can hit, blitz, and cover. Don't know much about Cyprien, but in the highlights I've seen he certainly looks the part, so he'd be an option around there, too.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacnwpackfan wrote:
Safety is one of the top positions we need to address in FA; I think it is up there with ILB, considering the injury and talent concerns going into the year.

The loss of Collins obviously was a big one and the team hasn't recovered from that. Burnett is an average NFL safety and he is the best we have. None of the other guys give me any belief that they can be consistently good starters that both have the physicality and coverage skills we need.

In this draft, I like Elam alot. I also like Phillip Thomas and Shawn Williams in the late 2nd Round as they appear to be guys that can hit, blitz, and cover. Don't know much about Cyprien, but in the highlights I've seen he certainly looks the part, so he'd be an option around there, too.

Shawn Williams is the only guy we should even be thinking about out of those three. Phillip Thomas is way too slow to play in the league and Cyprien is going to get more flags thrown at him than Jarrett Bush.

The correct answer at Safety in the draft is Shamarko Thomas. Thomas is only 5-9, but he's got the speed, tenacity, and coverage skills to play at the next level. The positives clearly outweigh the negatives on this guy.

That said, House at Safety sounds interesting, but I think he's better at CB because he has the size, speed, and the fluid hips that teams look for at CB. My only concern with him at this point is the shoulder injury. It's the same one Slowpoke had and look how Slowpoke has played since...

That, and that alone, is why we need to draft a CB in this draft and if I had my way with this draft, I'd simply go with the following to fix the situation.

1. Eifert
2. Shamarko Thomas
3. Robert Alford
4. Brandon Jenkins
5a. Schwenke
5b. Ty Powell
6. TJ Barnes
7. Earl Wolff

You look at how we've been beat in the playoffs the past two years and you can't help but look at Slowpoke Williams and the Safeties as almost the sole problem.
pmikep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palmy, what is your take of Phillip Thomas in Packer D ?
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't get this "move House to Safety" talk. Look back at how House played in camp last year before injuring his shoulder in the preseason: he was probably the best outside CB on the team.

It's not 100% guaranteed that he will regain that form, but his 2012 play (in TC) was a revelation compared to his 2011 play. Let's see if the guy can actually play cornerback before we start moving him to another position, and honestly if a guy's really only been held back by injuries "playing safety" may not be the best career choice for him.
bigKev2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A question for everyone, not just palmy.
We all agree Burnett + Collins was the plan, and it would have been good. But does Burnett need that kind of stud on the other side to be good? If we could clone him, would the Burnett-Burnett duo be good enough? I think Burnett is an average to above average safety. I also think that is easier to come by than the star Nick Collins type.

I honestly think that if we had a safety that matched most of his skills with better speed or tackeling then we have a game changer but if we had a Burnett caliber guy there it wouldn't hurt us thats a definite.
pacnwpackfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NCPackFan"][quote="pacnwpackfan"]Safety is one of the top positions we need to address in FA; I think it is up there with ILB, considering the injury and talent concerns going into the year.

In this draft, I like Elam alot. [b] I also like Phillip Thomas and Shawn Williams in the late 2nd Round as they appear to be guys that can hit, blitz, and cover. Don't know much about Cyprien, but in the highlights I've seen he certainly looks the part, so he'd be an option around there, too.[/b][/quote]

Shawn Williams is the only guy we should even be thinking about out of those three. Phillip Thomas is way too slow to play in the league and Cyprien is going to get more flags thrown at him than Jarrett Bush.

[/quote]

I'm not sure you can project penalties when you talk about Cyprien. That is coaching and if the guy has premium talent you can coach out the head hunting, etc.. Anyway, with today's NFL almost every db is going to have to adjust that you can barely breath on a receiver.

As far as Phillip Thomas, his 40-time at a low 4.6 is about the same as Vacarro's and the rest of his performance was pretty good (bench press could have been better). It is one of those things that they need to look at the film, pro day, and combine. Be interesting how his pro day works out later this week.

I do agree that Shamarko looks like a great athlete, but his height is a concern as you say. As I recall Bob Sanders was short, too, but what a player he was when he was healthy.
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Jefferson, Reid, Huff or bust.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: