Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Michael Huff signs with Ravens
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Packers start getting more active in free agency now that the feeding frenzy appears to be over - it is TT's pattern and he is looking to get stronger up the middle on both offense and defense. I expect safety and DL will be targets in free agency and we will see soon enough.
SpaceEcho34

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be reasonable to assume that our interest in him has a lot to do with his ability to take over Woodson's "hybrid" role (at least to some extent)? Not that he's anywhere close to Woodson against the run, but he definitely seems to have some pass rush ability and the CB/S tweener skillset.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackMan22 wrote:
He certainly fits the mold we need at safety. It goes without saying that the price has got to be right.

What I would like about it is that it would really open up our options in the draft. If we get Huff for 3 years, it allows us to draft BPA. What would our major hole be going into the year if we solidified the safety position?
I would say D line, we have plenty of guys, be we don't really have that one guy who can be a game changer, especially when Raji has to play so many snaps.

I was against the idea in the other thread. But I think that this sentiment rings true. It makes a lot of sense to allow us to draft the best player on the board. It also gives the group of McMillian, Jennings and Richardson another year to get some part time playing time and assures that two of them won't be starting should Burnett get injured.

I would say DL, RB and S are the weakest part of our team.

palmy50 wrote:
Huff is a solid football player. But I must say I missed on that one a bit on draft day. Felt he would be a superstar!

As I had more time to devote to the draft, I felt the same way. That Texas team was loaded back then. (And this guy wasn't happy about it at all)

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
PackersGuy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass!...he is a good tackler. With above avg. Covarge skills.
I like what GB has in j.Mcmillen and m.burnett

Let him go to baltimore!
gregoreo22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackersGuy wrote:

Let him go to baltimore!

Just because a couple young guys have potential doesn't mean you should completely lean on them at that position, though, don't you think? It's not like this guy's going to break the bank, and he could be a solid addition to a thin position group.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this fit. S is a tough learning curve so Huff on a 2 year deal I'd do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another player that will sign somewhere else.

Props to Uncle Buck for the sig.

Last edited by Hinkle on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
RCobb18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely be interested in a two year deal on the cheap. Isn't too old and he would be an upgrade over what we have now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregoreo22 wrote:
PackersGuy wrote:

Let him go to baltimore!

Just because a couple young guys have potential doesn't mean you should completely lean on them at that position, though, don't you think? It's not like this guy's going to break the bank, and he could be a solid addition to a thin position group.

+1

We do this and grab Shamarko Thomas and we probably don't have to worry about the Safety position for awhile...
pmikep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a very good fit. 3 year= 8m
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackersGuy wrote:

Let him go to baltimore!
He's trying to spur DAL into action. And if we did sign him, it would be to replace MD Jennings, not McMillian
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huff I think would cost in the range of 4-5 mil. http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/safety/

Never been a big fan of Huff, but I really think he might be able to work in our defense. Not as a Charles Woodson clone though, but more of a Nick Collins/free ranging safety.

I worry about the cost, but to be truthful, if we're willing to "pay" Finley an obscene amount for his "production" and we're willing to pay Tramon Williams for his "production"... Well, what's a dollar worth?

Huff isn't a spring chicken, but at 30 and playing FS we could get quite a few years out of him. He's very athletic and Capers and staff can do a lot with athletes.

So I'm not against this, but by no means am I gonna call for Thompson's head if he decides to pass. I could also see this turning into a bidding war - he's visiting the Ravens before us - and I just don't think Huff is one of those players you need to bid for. Truth be told, don't know how much better he is than a guy we could develop.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huff has been forced to play several positions over the last few years. Probably a bit underrated as a free agent because of this. However, if he's over the learning bumps, he could be an excellent value signing.

Safety is a spot where getting a veteran is preferable to a rookie anyway IMO.
GBPackers79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please provide a source.
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying out of the box he wouldn't be better... I think he would. But my concern is this, a new guy is gonna take a year, year and a half to develop. But he's still gonna have athletic ability for 5 years... I think that's the whole time you can protect a player. And the whole time, it's very cheap to keep him, maybe the last of those 5 years it could be expensive.

Where will Huff be 3 years from now? Gotta think he won't sign for anything under 4 yrs/4 mil. A lot of average guys are getting that pay. So you might have 3 rookies in that time for the price of Huff's service. It's a huge win if he can be that playmaker. If not? Lotta money wasted on what we might just see a rookie end up beating him out for.

These are the kinda decision I don't envy the Packer staff for having to make.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: