Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post-FA Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Post-FA Mock Reply with quote

So we have a 5th round comp and we've lost our #2 TE along with an OLB.

We've got our work cut out for us but having a 5th round comp should help us move around in the draft in order to target players who can make an impact Day 1.

I'm not even going to bother talking about possible FA for us. I'm starting to think we won't even bother bringing anyone in unless we need a stop-gap somewhere.

I also believe that we'll trade into the 2nd round and pick up a 4th and a 7th. We will then take our 4th and non-comp 5th to move up to the 3rd. There seems to be more value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds for us than the first.

The last mock I posted was a mock that was a gut feeling. This mock is more or less what I think we should do given needs and tailored to how we usually draft.

2a. Margus Hunt, DE, SMU: Hunt is the most logical pick for us at this point in the draft. We trade down after Pittsburgh selects Tyler Eifert at 17. You would think Zach Ertz would be on the radar, but Ertz only has one year of experience as a starter and the knock on him is that he's soft over-the-middle. We don't need that from a big TE. Therefore, we have to address the need of D-line. I could see us using a pick on a WR at that point, but why? Therefore, Hunt makes the most sense and we're not reaching for players.

2b. Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse: Thomas is a bit short, but when has that stopped us from drafting a player? Mike Daniels is only 6 feet tall, yet has found success along our D-line. That said, Thomas is excellent value here and can step in as an impact player from Day 1.

3a. Robert Alford, CB, Southeastern Louisiana: We have two CB's with the same shoulder injury. One sustained his in Week 2 of the 2011 season and has been pillow soft ever since. The other CB is a developing player who sustained the injury during a preseason game last year; the jury is still out on that player in so many different areas. Point being, CB is a need and Alford is a solid player that can be broken in playing the nickel position. Despite the fact that he played at a small school, Alford proved to handle tougher competition quite well during the invite bowls.

3b. Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati: Finley is a headache, Crabtree is now gone, Williams hasn't stepped up, and Taylor is all but MIA. Therefore, we have a glaring hole.

4. Brian Schwenke, C, Cal

5. Ty Powell, OLB, Harding: Powell is a versatile player who can line up anywhere on the field. Powell has the physical tools and the moxie to play just about anywhere in Capers' system. According to Harding's website, Powell also played QB in HS winning a CA state championship his Senior year.

6. TJ Barnes, NT, Georgia Tech: Barnes is a very large man(6-6, 370) and has the tools to play NT in the 3-4. Barnes is an excellent candidate for a project player at this position. Barnes backed up two current NFL players before taking over this past season and has played solidly as a rotational DL; the type of DL in which our team affixes value.

7a. Travis Long, OLB, Washington State: Long is a versatile player who can help out in run support and is impeccable at locating the ball. May not be the quickest or flashiest player, but he's solid and gets the job done. Could possibly evolve with NFL coaching.

7b. Denard Robinson, WR, Michigan: Guys fall down the board ALL the time. Just a month ago Robinson was projected as a 4th round pick, now he's struggling to be considered a draftable player. After losing Jennings and seeing potential here, TT pulls the trigger.

notable UDFAs: Brennan Williams, OT, UNC; Damion Square, DE, Alabama; Ray Polk, FS, Colorado; Baker Steinkuhler, DE, Nebraska; Braden Wilson, FB/H-Back, K-State; Keenan Davis, WR, Iowa
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is there are too many good players that will be available in round 1, pick 26 to only get a 2nd, 4th and 7th - I think that is a bad trade unless that trade partner has a very high pick in round 2. Point value for round 1 at pick 26 is 700 points, round 2 picks 1-10 is between 480 and 580 points, round 4 picks 1-10 is between 82 and 112, and round 7 picks 1-10 is between 10.6 and 14.2 points.
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I really don't want Hunt

PSN: ShiiNyIV
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feels like way too many risky project players than football players that I trust to make it and to have an impact early.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
My opinion is there are too many good players that will be available in round 1, pick 26 to only get a 2nd, 4th and 7th - I think that is a bad trade unless that trade partner has a very high pick in round 2. Point value for round 1 at pick 26 is 700 points, round 2 picks 1-10 is between 480 and 580 points, round 4 picks 1-10 is between 82 and 112, and round 7 picks 1-10 is between 10.6 and 14.2 points.

I was thinking we'd be trading with the Bucs or possibly the 49ers.

I'm not the biggest fan of Hunt either but he's best in a rotational D-line as fits our scheme and I just don't see anyone at 26 that's worth it for us unless Eifert falls. You'd think Sylvester Williams would be a possibility but I'm not so sure he can play in the 3-4.

The only two guys here that are really project players are Barnes and Long; you could argue Robinson but he's more of a return guy at this point. I think Powell, Thomas, and Alford can step in right away.
GoPackGo25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
God I really don't want Hunt
I feel the same way. Laughing IMO there will definitely be better players available at that pick, but I guess I could learn to live with it.

Credit: TheDeeeeej

Adopt a T-Wolf: Kevin Love
PPG RPG APG
pacnwpackfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be excited to get Hunt and I had projected them getting him with a trade back in the 2nd as well. The guy has all the physical tools and has a great motor. The only negative I see on him is his age. But he has less wear on him as he hasn't played football that long and he is going into what would be his prime, so if you can get 5-6 good years out of him why not. I'd much rather have a guy that is balls out every play like Hunt than players like Worthy who have all the tools but give inconsistent effort.
justo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the "no Hunt till the 3rd" wagon. I feel like he is better than guys that are projected in our 3rd slot, but he's not worth a 2nd, IMO. DL is so top heavy this year.

Thomas is a solid pick.

If you are scared of injuries you need to look into Alford's medical condition. He's got Crohn's. Also got called out by his DC. I had him as my #1 small school guy for a long time. The talent is there, but the medical and work ethic need to be checked out.

Kelce is really good for that slot. He's the 3rd best TE in the draft class.

Schwenke <3

Long played everywhere, but he's probably not going to do anything but push Moses and play special teams. That's enough for a 7th rounder though.

Denard is weird. Dude seriously needs to work on his hands, but he can be a nice slot piece.

Don't know that much on Powell and Barnes (besides he's huge)
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
I'm on the "no Hunt till the 3rd" wagon. I feel like he is better than guys that are projected in our 3rd slot, but he's not worth a 2nd, IMO. DL is so top heavy this year.

Thomas is a solid pick.

If you are scared of injuries you need to look into Alford's medical condition. He's got Crohn's. Also got called out by his DC. I had him as my #1 small school guy for a long time. The talent is there, but the medical and work ethic need to be checked out.

Kelce is really good for that slot. He's the 3rd best TE in the draft class.

Schwenke <3

Long played everywhere, but he's probably not going to do anything but push Moses and play special teams. That's enough for a 7th rounder though.

Denard is weird. Dude seriously needs to work on his hands, but he can be a nice slot piece.

Don't know that much on Powell and Barnes (besides he's huge)

Well, I put everything I know about Powell there basically. I think he's a great sleeper pick if he pans out. Long is basically what you put out there. He's a developmental guy who could eventually take over for someone who isn't performing behind our starters there.

As for Alford, the emboldened part of the quote just removed him from my board completely. I hate to get all personal and stuff, but my family just lost a very close friend of ours just after Thanksgiving last year. She was a WWII refugee from Germany that married a man from Northern Wisconsin and after he passed on, she went to live with my grandfather after my grandmother passed away back in the late 90's. After my grandfather died, my family allowed her to stay in my grandfather's house. In her latter days, she had Crohn's so badly that she couldn't even sleep in a bed; she had to sleep in her recliner chair in the living room.

So when I hear about a player having Crohn's disease, that tells me that the player will be in so much pain he won't know if he's actually injured or if he's just having a flare up. I wish the best for him, but I know he will have a very short career due to the Crohn's.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwenke in the fourth?

Laughing

Too slow for me.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Schwenke in the fourth?

Laughing

Too slow for me.

oh ha ha.....
Hinkle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
Feels like way too many risky project players than football players that I trust to make it and to have an impact early.

I agree with this post this mock would make me cry may not even see the playoffs next season with this mock.

Props to Uncle Buck for the sig.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacnwpackfan wrote:
I'd be excited to get Hunt and I had projected them getting him with a trade back in the 2nd as well. The guy has all the physical tools and has a great motor. The only negative I see on him is his age. But he has less wear on him as he hasn't played football that long and he is going into what would be his prime, so if you can get 5-6 good years out of him why not. I'd much rather have a guy that is balls out every play like Hunt than players like Worthy who have all the tools but give inconsistent effort.
And a complete ignorance of leverage.
Scuba St3ve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO MARGUS HUNT PLEASE GOD NO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: