Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Outlook - Is it that bleak, or are we missing something

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: 2013 Outlook - Is it that bleak, or are we missing something Reply with quote

Sitting here eating lunch atm and pondering our FA and roster moves so far and comparing it to our other NFC West rivals and it has me thinking, what is the plan?

You can tell a team's talent I believe, by how much is stolen by rivals if they are able too, look at our FA and cuts how many have signed or have even been chased by rivals teams, can count on one hand, that aint good, look at SF and SEA for example.

Our starters by the by rank ok or if not better than theirs, but our backups, or 2nd on the depth chart are way inferior, hence our poor record when injuries hit, hence their better record, we have no depth, that is why Whiz and Graves are no longer here, too many misses, not enough hits.

That being said, I am beginning to believe that 2013 is a makeup year. All our deals for players are small low risk deals, short term as well, nothing to rock the boat, nothing that cannot be fixed should it not work.

Are we clearing the house of all problems ? suffering through season 1 of Arians and then making a proper go of it in 2014?

Now time will tell, but I don't see us winning any NFC West game in 2013, each team has gotten much better and we have gotten worse technically.

Now I am not advocating 2 win seasons yet and I hope to be proven wrong, as tanking for a year effects bottom line, attendance, morale, star player attraction etc and all these need to be considered, but it might not be the worst idea to do it. If we can draft top 3 in 2014, we get the QB we want or even Clowney and then go from there, this team is not a one year fix, even if you have red tinted glasses.

Pretty much a ramble and not sure if you lot think about this stuff, but interested to hear your views on it all.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 2013 is building towards 2014. Which is fine I like that with a new GM and Head Coach. We won't be just flat out awful like last year, there will at least be a glimmer of hope

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could be awful, we could be worse, too early to call

Draft and next month will decide our fate.
iRobot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure everybody is thinking the same thing. But I've actually seen some "analysts" that think we've made positive moves and will be more competitive next season.

I don't see how but I'll remain optimistic. I think at the very worst, we're looking at a rebuild/retool year and can be a top the NFC W again in 2-3 years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will be competitive too. We might be staring at 4 loses(9ers and Seahawks) but who knows. Play the games and see what happens

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'll be competitive, just we'll lose some close games and end like 5-11 again

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no guarantees, but right now, on paper our offense is looking a lot better than it was last season.

If you go back and watch this team over the final 5-6 weeks of the season, the offensive line is out there playing some pretty good ball (despite the efforts of Snyder and Colledge) and we are missing opportunities because our quarterbacks could not hit the broad side of a barn.

With Stanton and Hoyer coming into the season we are looking a lot better than where we were at from week 6ish onwards last season. And that is the period in which we won one game and lost a bazillion.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against the pass we should remain top-notch but Dan Williams needs to a.) start playing and b.) play well. We liked using Nickel but he needs to be out there. With Schofield healthy and Acho past his sophomore slump the pass-rush should be there (I think we were top 10 in sacks anyway).

We won't run it well until a.) our OL drastically improved and b.) our RB's stay healthy. Our QB's will get injured if we continue to lead the league in sacks allowed.

Tbh I'd rather win 3 games than 6 but BA will have them motivated and they'll overachieve.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
apollo14000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The playoff certainly seem unlikely in 2013. I honestly wouldn't mind trading our 2nd this year for a 1st next year and perhaps another pick. That's sets us up to trade up for a QB if Stanton/Hoyer don't work out and if it does, we'll have two first round picks in a draft that will probably be stronger than this one.

Ideally, IMO, we trade down in the first a little bit, pick up a 2nd or 3rd, draft Warmack, Lane Johnson, or a pass rusher, trade a 2nd for a future 1st and then some.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo, I am more balls in than you.

I would trade our 2014 1st for a 2013 2nd and 3rd and go all in.

Extra second grab Manuel or Barkley or Wilson, whichever is there at say 37, then go OL with other 2nd rounder, then 2 LB, ILB and OLB in the 3rd say.

Really go out with a bang.
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personal think we are so fare behind the 49ers and seahawks that it will be a few years and another staff change before Arizona pushes for anything.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the strategy this offseason - it's refreshingly different from what we did making a "splash" the year we traded for Kolb.

We have pretty consistently screwed up big contracts for free-agents from other teams - Colledge, Snyder, Bradley - so if I'm Steve Keim it was a top priority going into this free agency period to find a way to make better decisions. In addition to that, signing lower priced free agents to short contracts is a great way to mitigate risk if you still ended up making a mistake.

The defensive make-over losing Greg Toler, Kerry Rhodes, and A-Dub was tough. It's really hard to say what we're going to have / need with the changes to the defensive coaching staff and scheme though - they wanted to keep Toler, but didn't value him as much as Indy did and we ended up with Jerraud Powers and Antoine Cason instead. I'm in wait and see mode - regardless of the personnel moves - on the defensive side of the ball.

So going into this season I thought we have a chance to be a decent team if our pass defense doesn't regress and we improve even marginally on offense. My optimistic view now is we have a lot of good young players that improve this season and the QB position becomes at least a bit more settled than it has been the past 3 years. I don't see us as a contender this year - but if we get that situation going into the following season with more cap flexibility and more options at QB then the future looks good.

So even though we aren't contenders this season there's plenty to watch on the road to contending:

1. Biggest issue - coaching staff - really need to see what they bring to the table and on defense if they can keep at least some of the good aspects of last year's performance.
2. Can we at least count on Drew Stanton or Bryan Hoyer - or a rookie - emerging as an average performer at QB with some ability to stretch the field?
3. The running game - can we get the yards we need consistently or even break off some big plays, hopefully behind an improving line?
4. Young players - even more this year I'm looking for young guys to improve / continue to improve and form the core of this team going forward.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: