Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No new FA on to a Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbens06

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: No new FA on to a Mock Reply with quote

Cap
$123,000,000
Right now I have the top 51 players (what the offseason goes by) plus our dead money counting for $109,401,884.
This leaves us with $13,598,116 in available space without regards to any rollover.

Retirements
Donald Driver
Jeff Saturday

Notable Not Retained/Cuts
Brad Jones: As of now, I think TT will let Jones test the waters of free agency. Next season Bishop and Smith should be 100% to play along side Hawk. Plus we still have Manning and Lattimore to give us depth. Also, if Jones does not get an offer immediate TT can explore bringing him back like with James Jones.
Frank Zombo: Zombo has not stayed healthy for the majority of his career and the Packers decide to let him go. Like Walden, he is someone I could see the Packers bringing back later in the offseason, after the draft, for some depth.
Charles Woodson: Already said goody-bye to Woodson.
Greg Jennings: Signed with Minnesota.
Tom Crabtree: Signed with Tampa Bay.
Erik Walden: Signed with Indianapolis.

Resignings
Evan Dietrich-Smith: EDS is a tough and gritty player that has been solid in the relief appearance he has made. He has a lot of versatility, being able to play all interior spots of the line, giving him a lot of value to us. He is a good utility guy to have and gives the line flexibility. It looks like he is going to be given every opportunity to win the starting C position next year. Lowest tender, right of first refusal $1,323,000
Sam Shields: Shields is a restricted free agent and I feel will get the highest tender level. The money would not be that much and if someone would bite on him we would be getting a high return on him. Second round tender $2,023,000
New Top 51: $11,212,116

Free Agency
At this point of free agency there are few big name players left and only incidental signings much like Hargrove last year.

Draft
I think we do receive at least one compensatory pick; I will put this as a 4th. Flynn may not play a ton, but he did get paid a good chunk for this year. My guess is Wells is offset by Saturday’s signing. Looking back on players that garnered a 3rd were the massive contracts/”superstar” signings like Peppers and probably Williams this year.

1. Datone Jones DE UCLA 6’4 280lbs

I think there will be a rush on defensive lineman and guys like Williams, Short, Hankins, and Richardson could be gone. That leaves the next tier of players available and ideally TT trades back and gets better value in one of those guys, but right now I am not going to project a draft day trade. I have been back and forth on Jones at this spot because he seems to be a bit of tweener that does not really fit ideally anywhere, personally I think he fits best as a left defensive end in a 4-3 scheme much like Adrian Clayborn when he come out. However, Jones has played 3-4 defensive end and does have a lot of the traits to develop into a solid end for us. He has good upper body strength to hold his man up, but he can struggle to anchor down. He has a good initial step and quickness off the ball that allows him to get good initial penetration. Also, his hands seem to be pretty active at the point of attack. As an added benefit he does a good job at rushing the passer inside and would be a good option for our 2 line nickel package. Overall, with Neal coming up on his contract and Worthy coming back from injury that pass rushing end is something we still need.

2. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama 5’11 230lbs

Lacy’s draft status in my opinion is in limbo. I could see a team taking him at the end of the first, but at the same time I can see him, and most runningbacks, falling. There has been a few backs turnover teams and probably a couple more to come (Wells and Bradsahw). The other teams that have been linked to a running back early (Cincinnati, Denver, and Atlanta) either pick after us in the 2nd, signed a free agent, or Lacy is not there mold. Fortunately Lacy falls to us and TT takes him. Lacy is a bigger back that has the size to pound it, but the he has good quickness and speed for a back his size. He does a good job at getting yards after contact and has a very good spin move to break out of tackles. He is still becoming more patient as a runner, which should develop with time and make him a better runner in our system. Lacy is someone that can take pressure off of Rodgers and give him more short conversions. Plus Lacy has the size and power to be an effective short yardage, goal line back. He was not used a ton as a receiver/blocker, but he did do a good job catching the ball when he got the opportunity. Blocking assignment will probably be the biggest question mark, but he has the size and has shown the willingness to block; he just needs to be more consistent and better with technique. Overall, a guy like Lacy as our number one and spelled by Harris/Green can gives us a much more efficient running game to counterbalance our high octane passing game.

3. Gavin Escobar TE San Diego State 6’6 254lbs

Escobar very well could be gone a round earlier, but I think his board is really set once Eifert and Ertz go. There are a few teams that could snag one, or both, of them in the first, but outside of them they could take a fall into the second round. If that is the case a guy like Escobar is going to fall. Escobar is in line with the tweener tighend mold that is better suited split outside. Much like Finley, Escobar is a receiver first and a blocker second. He is not going to be a guy that will dominate blocking, but hopefully can continue to develop and not be a total liability there. He has good size, speed, hands, and range for a tightend. He uses his quickness and speed to gain separation on his man and does a good job at locating the ball and making the play on it. Also, he does a nice job of making difficult catches and can be a tightend that stretches the seam/field for us. He gives us a really good insurance policy incase Finley is not retained at the end of this year and it gives us a year to prep him if that is the case.

4. Jelani Jenkins LB Florida 6’0 243lbs

I know that Jenkins is not the ideal fit for our defense, but I think that he can bring a lot to the table for us. He kind of reminds of Navarro Bowman when he came out. They are both guys that are a little undersized for the 3-4, but have good athleticism and sideline to sideline speed to make up for it. Jenkins does a good job at making plays in space and chasing down guys. He did add some strength to his frame, so hopefully he will not get swallowed up by blockers. However, he does have the athleticism to make defenders miss or sidestep them to make a play. He would break the mold of what we have seen from our other ILB and give us a guy that can fly around the field.

4. Josh Boyce WR TCU 5’11 205lbs

I had Boyce in an earlier mock during the season and decided to bring him back into this one. He is someone that we can work in and up our system. He has a strong build and catches the ball well with his hands and not his body. He does a decent job at reading the defense and finding a soft spot to get open. He lined up outside for TCU and might be best used as Jennings was when he first came into the league as a guy that plays both outside and inside the slot. He did run well at the combine, but I think that he does not always play to that speed. However, by no means is his speed a liability, just not necessarily that burner that his timed speed might lead some to believe. He has a good initial move after the catch and runs hard and tough. He might not be the most electrifying runner, but he does a nice job of picking up yards after the catch.

5. Brandon Jenkins DE/OLB Florida State 6’3 260lbs

Jenkins decided to come out after a year off due to injury. He was a highly touted end that was in line to be a potential high pick, but a foot injury put that on hold. He is a guy that predicates his game off of speed, quickness and finesse. He is not overly physical at the line of scrimmage, but he does a good job at getting after the quarterback. He would be a different type of rusher than we have in either Perry or Matthews. He did not show the instincts to locate the ball carrier and chase down the play, which is something that he will need to do a better job at as a linebacker for us. However, he would be brought in as a rotational pass rusher to give Matthews and Perry a breather and keep them fresh throughout the game and year.

6. Brandon Moore DT/DE Texas 6’5 320lbs

Moore has the length and strength to be a solid defensive end in the 3-4, but he has not consistently put together the performances and technique to be a top threat. He has a lot of potential based on his measurements and the flashes he did show, but he needs to develop. He can be a good rotational guy that hopefully could develop into Pickett’s role.

7. Brendan Melanophy S Fordham 6’1 206lbs

Probably more likely an undrafted free agent, but the difference is minimal. Melanophy played free safety at Fordham and did a decent job dropping over the top. He has pretty good speed and is a willing tackler. Main factor is that he did a pretty good job as a gunner and special teams player. I think that at some point the money is going to be too much to keep Bush as a special teams guy and a 5th/6th option at corner, so hopefully Melanophy can develop and become that special teams guy. Plus, for what it is worth, it was reported we talked with him at his proday.

Estimated draft class cap of $5,000,000 makes the cap go down to $6,212,116

Roster
QB: Rodgers, Harrell
RB: Lacy, Harris, Green, Starks
FB: Kuhn
WR: Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Boyce, Boykin
TE: Finley, Escobar, Quarless, Taylor
OT: Sherrod, Bulaga, Newhouse, Barclay
OG: Lang, Sitton, Van Roten
OC: EDS
Offense Total: 24

DE: Pickett, Jones, Wilson, Neal, Worthy (PUP), Daniels, Moore
NT: Raji
OLB: Matthews, Perry, Moses, B. Jenkins, Lattimore
ILB: Bishop, Hawk, J. Jenkins, Smith, Manning
CB: Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Bush
S: Burnett, McMillan, Jennings, Melanophy
Defense Total: 26 + 1 PUP

K: Crosby
P: Masthay
LS: Goode
Special Teams Total: 3
Roster Total: 53 + 1 PUP

Noticeable PS Players
Andrew Datko OT
BJ Coleman QB

*With having a little over $6,000,000 in cap space I could very well see TT going to some guys; Pickett, Williams, Finely, and possibly Bush, to restructure and gain some cap space. Also, a guy like Kuhn could be cut for the additional room. I think that between those guys we could gain roughly $10-12 million on top of what we have left, which should be enough to extend Matthews and Raji. I would look for Matthews to get about a $7-8 million bump and Raji a $1-2 million bump.

Last edited by rbens06 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
pollino14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones and Lacy are my ideal first two picks, although I dont think Lacy will be there. Also like Escobar as well. Good job.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW: EDS was given the lowest tender and Shields has a second.
Everyone is born one and those who aren't now, have detached themselves from the natural order of the universe
Roscoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones would be an ok 3-4 DE for us like him. Like Boyce at WR. Don't see Lacy slipping clear to the end of the second round. Escobar good pick at TE. Brandon Jenkins OLB good pick. Don't care for Jelani Jenkins out of Florida. Brandon Moore at DT nice pick for depth behind Raji and Pickett. Don't care for the Safety Brendan M no thank you. You must have a thing for the last name Jenkins. Also the first name Brandon lol. You really should had addressed the center position you have nobody behind Evan Dietrich- Smith on your depth chart.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yooper Kuj wrote:
FWIW: EDS was given the lowest tender and Shields has a second.

Thanks! I had the amounts changed, but forgot to change the wording.
rbens06

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoe wrote:
Jones would be an ok 3-4 DE for us like him. Like Boyce at WR. Don't see Lacy slipping clear to the end of the second round. Escobar good pick at TE. Brandon Jenkins OLB good pick. Don't care for Jelani Jenkins out of Florida. Brandon Moore at DT nice pick for depth behind Raji and Pickett. Don't care for the Safety Brendan M no thank you. You must have a thing for the last name Jenkins. Also the first name Brandon lol. You really should had addressed the center position you have nobody behind Evan Dietrich- Smith on your depth chart.

I agree that Lacy does not have a great chance of falling to us, but because of the type of back he is and the teams that need a back I think it is not that unrealistic.

Safety wise, I think he is probably a reach there and could be had as a UDFA, but mainly have him as a special teams guy that is there for depth. Ultimately, I think our safety progression would be Burnett then McMillin or Jennings, the other of the two, then Bush.

I wanted to add an interior lineman, but the value was never right, especially early on, based on who I thought would be available at each slot. I have Van Roten listed as a guard, but he would be our interior swing guy like EDS was last year. I also assume that Sherrod will be 100%, which allows Barclay to be a swing tackle/guard.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Lacy is there in Round 2, he damn well better be the pick! In fact, if he gets within 10 spots of us, we damn well better trade up!

Sadly, I do not see it happening however.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
If Lacy is there in Round 2, he damn well better be the pick! In fact, if he gets within 10 spots of us, we damn well better trade up!

Completely agree. I'd be tickled if that's how the draft shakes out. The Moore pick is great but that neck injury is a MASSIVE red flag. Jenkins looks good on the surface but he's injury prone and can't help in run support.

Other than that, this is a great mock.
pmikep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY NICE DRAFT !!!!!
rbens06

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:

I agree that it might be a stretch, but this class of running backs is atypical and I would not be shocked if it did happen. Also, I would have no problem with TT moving up in the second to take Lacy.
rbens06

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:

Completely agree. I'd be tickled if that's how the draft shakes out. The Moore pick is great but that neck injury is a MASSIVE red flag. Jenkins looks good on the surface but he's injury prone and can't help in run support.

Other than that, this is a great mock.

I have not seen anything that indicate Moore will not be a full go, but like you said it is still a red flag. At that point in the draft, assuming he is cleared by our staff, the risk would be worth the reward.

I completely agree with you on Jenkins. The injury and inability to play good against the run does raise some cause for concern. However, I mainly see him as a depth guy that will only come in on passing situations to play to his strengths until he can show more consistent and better play against the run. The injury does raise some concerns, but a lot of people had him as a high pick entering the year because of his pass rushing ability, so I will take that risk on him in the 5th.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: