Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons lack of depth scares me
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swift924

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
none of pass rushers at 30 are going to produce 10 sacks and brings Abe presence

of course the rookie rb wouldnt be as polished as a veteran as SJAX but we dont need him to be could have went with a rb by committee approach and used Quizz,Snelling and rookie rb to split the load
we are a pass first offense. We could have spent a 2nd or 3rd round pick on rookie rb and groomed him as future starter

you want the best offense in league but our offense was pretty potent last season and got outscored by Collin K at home in NFC championship game. so was the reason we lost NFC champ game on offense or defense ?

walker is replaceable just like Falcons thought Lofton was replaceable with Dent..how did that turn out...we went from a top 10 run defense to be a bottom ranked run defense..Lofton was a huge factor in that

How do you know no DE will produce the kind of pressure Abe did? That kind of guys against popular thought woth this draft.

Yes, we're a pass first offense. So why not have a guy that can run, block and catch? That way the defense wont be keyed in on what we're doing.

Seeing as how we scored 0 points in the 2nd half, im gonna go with offense.

We werent a top run d last year, average at best ranking 15th in ypc. BTW NO ranked dead last in ypc this year, Lofton really seemed to help them.

I think you are being very hypocritical in your reasoning. Hear me out. You are saying a rookie rb cant offer what Steven Jackson offers and now your on one end saying rookie defensive end is going to offer 10 sacks ? cmon man. How many defensive ends that have been drafted 20 and below have got 10 sacks in a season?

Not many .You will maybe be able to find 2 or 3..guy like Cliff Avril

so you blame our offense for the loss against the 49ers? the defense not being able to put away a team down 17-0 on road and allow Vernon Davis to run through secondary and Gore to gash them inside but it was on the offense that loss that put up 28 points? Yes Ryan turnovers hurt momentum and he had the ball in his hands to win the game and did not find a way but when a defense at home allows 30 points to a soph QB with limited starts..yeah thats no bueno

Curtis Lofton still played very well last season even though he was on a horrible defense. If you check PFF numbers he did pretty well

For one, I never said a rookie DE would get 10 sacks, us that he could generate pressure liek JA. And I already covered this, but the draft is very heavy on DL talent. Someone is bound to fall to us. Theres no running back that has the skills Jackson has in this draft, there plenty of pure rushers.

Yes, I blame the offense. They socred points in the 2nd half.

ANd using PFF's #'s automatically disqualify any argument you try to make.

there is a huge difference between applying pressure and finishing off and getting sacks. Kroy Biermann is good at pressure he just doesn't finish plays and this allows QB to side step the pressure and make plays. Abe was a finished and has lead Falcons in sacks last 6 years ?

as for blaming the offense for NFC champ game it's kind of mind boggling when they put up 24 points vs one of best defenses in league . Our defense should not allow 28 points at home to a young QB . but they did it in back to back weeks
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 draft picks will help ease your soul swifty.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Swift924

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
dude calm down, an upgrade for Dent at ILB makes no sense Dent is good enough for us considering nolan runs primarily nickel sets so there is no need for ILB hence why we let Lofton walk.... Abe was getting old yeah it sucked to see him go, and he might even come back but we need to build through the draft, and need youth at DE.... Beirmann is a best as a rotational guy. We let Dunta go because his play didnt justify his massive contract. We are thin @ CB yes, and more than likely we will take a CB early, which is good because Samuel isn't getting younger and McClain is our Slot guy. I want a tall, physical corner out there with opposite Asante. DE is our #1 need so we might even double-dip in the draft which would be great. OLB will be addressed as well we are fine calm down

None of our LBS showed they were good in pass coverage..Nicholas and Spoon and Dent were all exposed in pass coverage in playoffs vs Zack Miller and Vernon Davis

we hurt our run defense by letting Lofton walk. he was a good player

lofton was horrible in coverage man he was only good at stopping the run, nolan mainly runs nickle which means only 2 LBers on the field so there was no need for lofton, we can draft a speedy OLB for converage to compliment spoon

but Lofton was great in run defense. Dent was not and our run defense became a weakness last season as were ranked 21st

we hurt our strength by losing Lofton and we still didnt even improve in pass coverage. Our Lbs were exposed in playoffs even Spoon and Nicholas.

I agree Lofton wasnt great in pass coverage but his run defense Falcons missed last year at times

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000128696/Gore-does-the-dirty-bird-after-TD-run

Our base defense is the nickle. Lofton would have been vastly overpaid to be on the field for roughly one third of the defensive snaps.

Have you thought that our deficiencies against the run is because we used a extra defensive back instead of a ILB for two thirds of the snaps? Or did you even see the progression that Dent went through during the season. Yes he was beyond horrible at the beginning of the year, but once he got comfortable, he played well in his limited snaps.

Dent improved over the season but he was nothing special and even got exposed in playoffs in run and pass. I told you before I understand we are base nickel 4-2-5 that does not take away the FACT that OUR RUN DEFENSE dropped to 21st last season when it was a strength under BVG

This defense really did not improve at all under Nolan and took a step back in run defense. Even BVG was able to lead this Falcons defense to 5th in points allowed 2010. Nolan defense still gave up a ton of yards

the only thing that improved on defense last year was secondary not giving up touchdowns

but run defense- dropped
sacks -dropped
turnovers-dropped

Except for the fact that we improved to top 5 in all of football in points allowed. Isnt that the stat that actually matters?

-We also improved pass rating against from 14th to 5th
-You act like we drastically decreased in sacks. We went from 33 to 29. Its not like it was that big of a dip.
-We intercepted more passes and forced more fumbles.

I could say the same thing man you act like we DRASTICALLY improved with ints..what we have 1 more from 2011? and what 2 more FF?

we also dropped in yards allowed from 2011.

defense also was exposed just like BVG in playoffs.

Its been 5 years and we still dont have a defense we can count on in playoffs.. now we released our best pass rusher in Abe, cut our 2nd corner and lost depth on defensive line

I was proving my point. You acted like our pass rush got so much worse from 2011, when in fact we went from 33 to 29 sacks. Thats pretty much the same as improving our number of turnovers by 3.

Points given up, better pass defense, better in situational(3rd 4th down), significantly less penalties > Yards allowed

our pass rush was suppose to Improve under Nolan. He came in saying he rather have 8 guys at 4 sacks then 1 guy at 10. Well last year we only had 2 guys hit that number and we just cut one of them.

defense was a issue in playoffs and now we cut our only pass rusher

hurt our depth and with limited cap we could be in huge trouble

this offense is going to have to put up 30 to win games each week
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift924 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
none of pass rushers at 30 are going to produce 10 sacks and brings Abe presence

of course the rookie rb wouldnt be as polished as a veteran as SJAX but we dont need him to be could have went with a rb by committee approach and used Quizz,Snelling and rookie rb to split the load
we are a pass first offense. We could have spent a 2nd or 3rd round pick on rookie rb and groomed him as future starter

you want the best offense in league but our offense was pretty potent last season and got outscored by Collin K at home in NFC championship game. so was the reason we lost NFC champ game on offense or defense ?

walker is replaceable just like Falcons thought Lofton was replaceable with Dent..how did that turn out...we went from a top 10 run defense to be a bottom ranked run defense..Lofton was a huge factor in that

How do you know no DE will produce the kind of pressure Abe did? That kind of guys against popular thought woth this draft.

Yes, we're a pass first offense. So why not have a guy that can run, block and catch? That way the defense wont be keyed in on what we're doing.

Seeing as how we scored 0 points in the 2nd half, im gonna go with offense.

We werent a top run d last year, average at best ranking 15th in ypc. BTW NO ranked dead last in ypc this year, Lofton really seemed to help them.

I think you are being very hypocritical in your reasoning. Hear me out. You are saying a rookie rb cant offer what Steven Jackson offers and now your on one end saying rookie defensive end is going to offer 10 sacks ? cmon man. How many defensive ends that have been drafted 20 and below have got 10 sacks in a season?

Not many .You will maybe be able to find 2 or 3..guy like Cliff Avril

so you blame our offense for the loss against the 49ers? the defense not being able to put away a team down 17-0 on road and allow Vernon Davis to run through secondary and Gore to gash them inside but it was on the offense that loss that put up 28 points? Yes Ryan turnovers hurt momentum and he had the ball in his hands to win the game and did not find a way but when a defense at home allows 30 points to a soph QB with limited starts..yeah thats no bueno

Curtis Lofton still played very well last season even though he was on a horrible defense. If you check PFF numbers he did pretty well

For one, I never said a rookie DE would get 10 sacks, us that he could generate pressure liek JA. And I already covered this, but the draft is very heavy on DL talent. Someone is bound to fall to us. Theres no running back that has the skills Jackson has in this draft, there plenty of pure rushers.

Yes, I blame the offense. They socred points in the 2nd half.

ANd using PFF's #'s automatically disqualify any argument you try to make.

there is a huge difference between applying pressure and finishing off and getting sacks. Kroy Biermann is good at pressure he just doesn't finish plays and this allows QB to side step the pressure and make plays. Abe was a finished and has lead Falcons in sacks last 6 years ?

as for blaming the offense for NFC champ game it's kind of mind boggling when they put up 24 points vs one of best defenses in league . Our defense should not allow 28 points at home to a young QB . but they did it in back to back weeks

Why could JA get a sack in over half the games he played last year? In 28 games played, he recorded a sack in 7 of them. I would love to have him back at a team friendly price, but he wasnt worth it for what we were paying him.
Swift924

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcons don't even have the cap now to bring him back on team friendly deal of 3 million. I would also like to show me 3 players not on rookie contract that produced 10 sacks and getting paid less then 5 million?

Abe was the only player on defense opposing coordinators had to game plan around and where is #55
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift924 wrote:
Falcons don't even have the cap now to bring him back on team friendly deal of 3 million. I would also like to show me 3 players not on rookie contract that produced 10 sacks and getting paid less then 5 million?

Abe was the only player on defense opposing coordinators had to game plan around and where is #55

Scar already proved you wrong on the cap. Moving on....

I take it you don't have a answer to my question?as far as game planing against Abe, they did a pretty damn good job since he didn't record a sack in 11 games.
devils1854

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift924 wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
dude calm down, an upgrade for Dent at ILB makes no sense Dent is good enough for us considering nolan runs primarily nickel sets so there is no need for ILB hence why we let Lofton walk.... Abe was getting old yeah it sucked to see him go, and he might even come back but we need to build through the draft, and need youth at DE.... Beirmann is a best as a rotational guy. We let Dunta go because his play didnt justify his massive contract. We are thin @ CB yes, and more than likely we will take a CB early, which is good because Samuel isn't getting younger and McClain is our Slot guy. I want a tall, physical corner out there with opposite Asante. DE is our #1 need so we might even double-dip in the draft which would be great. OLB will be addressed as well we are fine calm down

None of our LBS showed they were good in pass coverage..Nicholas and Spoon and Dent were all exposed in pass coverage in playoffs vs Zack Miller and Vernon Davis

lofton was horrible in coverage man he was only good at stopping the run, nolan mainly runs nickle which means only 2 LBers on the field so there was no need for lofton, we can draft a speedy OLB for converage to compliment spoon

but Lofton was great in run defense. Dent was not and our run defense became a weakness last season as were ranked 21st

we hurt our strength by losing Lofton and we still didnt even improve in pass coverage. Our Lbs were exposed in playoffs even Spoon and Nicholas.

I agree Lofton wasnt great in pass coverage but his run defense Falcons missed last year at times

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000128696/Gore-does-the-dirty-bird-after-TD-run

Our base defense is the nickle. Lofton would have been vastly overpaid to be on the field for roughly one third of the defensive snaps.

Have you thought that our deficiencies against the run is because we used a extra defensive back instead of a ILB for two thirds of the snaps? Or did you even see the progression that Dent went through during the season. Yes he was beyond horrible at the beginning of the year, but once he got comfortable, he played well in his limited snaps.

Dent improved over the season but he was nothing special and even got exposed in playoffs in run and pass. I told you before I understand we are base nickel 4-2-5 that does not take away the FACT that OUR RUN DEFENSE dropped to 21st last season when it was a strength under BVG

This defense really did not improve at all under Nolan and took a step back in run defense. Even BVG was able to lead this Falcons defense to 5th in points allowed 2010. Nolan defense still gave up a ton of yards

the only thing that improved on defense last year was secondary not giving up touchdowns

but run defense- dropped
sacks -dropped
turnovers-dropped

Except for the fact that we improved to top 5 in all of football in points allowed. Isnt that the stat that actually matters?

-You act like we drastically decreased in sacks. We went from 33 to 29. Its not like it was that big of a dip.

I could say the same thing man you act like we DRASTICALLY improved with ints..what we have 1 more from 2011? and what 2 more FF?

Its been 5 years and we still dont have a defense we can count on in playoffs.. now we released our best pass rusher in Abe, cut our 2nd corner and lost depth on defensive line

I was proving my point. You acted like our pass rush got so much worse from 2011, when in fact we went from 33 to 29 sacks. Thats pretty much the same as improving our number of turnovers by 3.

Points given up, better pass defense, better in situational(3rd 4th down), significantly less penalties > Yards allowed

our pass rush was suppose to Improve under Nolan. He came in saying he rather have 8 guys at 4 sacks then 1 guy at 10. Well last year we only had 2 guys hit that number and we just cut one of them.

-We lost one defensive end from the unit from last year. We will probably add a high draft pick and a cheap vet.
-Peters was injured for most of the year last year. We will have him, Babs, and Jerry back this year. Losing Walker isnt going to make that much of a difference.
-We have our top 3 LBs back. Replacing Peterson will be easy.
-It looks like we will have lost one starter in the secondary with the departure of Dunta and the probable loss of Grimes. We still have two quality corners in Asante and McClain. We will probably add a corner early in the draft, and Im guessing we will go after a low risk vet like we have done in the past.

The sky isnt falling, like you want to think. Our defense was better last year, than in 2011, and it should improve in their second year in the scheme. Losing a 35 year old DE, and a wildly inconsistent CB isnt going to make us a .500 club.

#JDI

Chuckie Keeton, Taysom Hill 2014 Heisman Campaign
Swift924

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:

Scar already proved you wrong on the cap. Moving on....

I take it you don't have a answer to my question?as far as game planing against Abe, they did a pretty damn good job since he didn't record a sack in 11 games.

I don't think Scar proved anyone wrong. Falcons are 7.2 million under the cap as of now

Here is link http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/2013/
You factor in 3-4 million for rookie contracts and we have roughly 3-4 million to spend in free agency. So if Falcons don't extend Roddy or Ryan contracts to free up some short term cap can't expect to sign any big names. We could bring in a Seymour and some depth but that's bout it

As for teams game planning around yes that is what happens when Abe faces constant double teams and chip blocks. That should tell you all you need to know that Abe took on double teams and still none of our other pass rushers produced. Now take away Abe and now we will never be able to get QB allowing teams enough time in pocket to attack seconday and expose our LBs in coverage
Swift924

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:
Swift924 wrote:
SpoonFed56 wrote:

but run defense- dropped
sacks -dropped
turnovers-dropped

-We lost one defensive end from the unit from last year. We will probably add a high draft pick and a cheap vet.
-Peters was injured for most of the year last year. We will have him, Babs, and Jerry back this year. Losing Walker isnt going to make that much of a difference.
-We have our top 3 LBs back. Replacing Peterson will be easy.
-It looks like we will have lost one starter in the secondary with the departure of Dunta and the probable loss of Grimes. We still have two quality corners in Asante and McClain. We will probably add a corner early in the draft, and Im guessing we will go after a low risk vet like we have done in the past.

The sky isnt falling, like you want to think. Our defense was better last year, than in 2011, and it should improve in their second year in the scheme. Losing a 35 year old DE, and a wildly inconsistent CB isnt going to make us a .500 club.

A 35 year old DE that still produced 10 sacks in limited snaps our only true pass rusher.The sky isn't fall on team but we are not a legit title contender with this defense. We have been exposed for past 5 seasons and 5 games in playoffs our defense has only put together 2 good halfs of football. First half of Giants playoff game and first of Seattle

Falcons tried the offensive route by spending 5 draft picks on Julio
Yet we couldn't outscore the 49ers offense with a young soph QB who had limited starts and Crabtree, Vernon Davis and a old Randy Moss

Russell Wilson came into dome and pass all over team to Zachary Miller
tech2186

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all know that that this Defense has been a work in progress for a very long time. Mike Smith's choice of BVG was a complete failure. Nolan has shown that he is a superior upgrade. The only way to get truly better on Defense is to draft better defensive players. The NFL is an offensive league, but when it comes to the playoffs, you have to have a Defense that can make stops on 3rd downs and that is what the Falcons have struggled with for the past 5 years.

Abe was an excellent pass rusher, but if you look at his stats the past 2 years his sack numbers are taken out of context. He got a lot of his sacks against the worst rated offensive tackles in the NFL. Which means they were against some bad teams. When we needed Abe in critical games over the past few years where was he??? Sacks as a stat are totally overrated IMO anyway. I've always been partial to QB hits and Tackles for loss as stats for Dline man. That tells the story of how effective a lineman can be.

At some point we have to let these young guys prove that they are worthy of playing in the NFL. The problem with Mike Smith and the Falcons upper management, is that they rarely play young guys unless they HAVE NO CHOICE. I think having that thought process stunts the growth of players for the future. Cliff Matthews, Massaquoi, and those other guys are going to have to step up this year and prove they can play. We really don't know how good these guys can be because we haven't seen them much. This draft is really going to show me if TD is the "boy wonder" he is made out to be. He has to hit on picks that can come in and contribute . They may not be able to give you 10 sacks. But if you draft 2 DE's and a DT and all together those guys can give you 3 sacks each and it will allow other guys to have even better season, that is a formidible Dline.

I still think some cap magic will occur and we sign some Dline help or a CB. It's still early yet and a potential draft trade can happen or cuts will be made and we get someone. Until the offseason is over though, I think it's safe to speculate on depth but it's no time to panic.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
Swift924

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech- Abe provided 38 QB pressures 16 QB hits as well outside those 10 sacks

those numbers will be missed man. Plus he was a master at FF so take those turnovers away he created
tech2186

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift924 wrote:
tech- Abe provided 38 QB pressures 16 QB hits as well outside those 10 sacks

those numbers will be missed man. Plus he was a master at FF so take those turnovers away he created

I'm not doubting that Abe's presence will be missed. But Abe is old. Age is a NFL killer. We have to get younger. We have to rely on younger guys to come in and take on that role. Remember we ranked in the top 10 in takeaways and our Run Defense and Pass Defense were terrible. With the addition of Jackson we will have an added factor that can allow for longer drives and a running back rotation that can close games. We didn't have that last year.

A young defense's best friend is an offense that leaks time off the clock.

But I'm not saying that Abe won't be missed but at some point we have to make a transition. Abe isn't worth what he was making. And you make your bones by what you do in the playoffs. Abe hasn't made it happen in the playoffs at all.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: