Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

who were the top Viking free agents of all time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not a free agent in the sense that is used here, there is no bigger free agent signing in the history of Vikings football like John Randle. Wink

However, in the sense that is used here, it's gotta be Fred Smoot. Just kidding.

It's hard to argue against Antoine Winfield. While he didn't have the greatest immediate impact, he has become one of most valuable Vikings of the last decade.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
While not a free agent in the sense that is used here, there is no bigger free agent signing in the history of Vikings football like John Randle. Wink

However, in the sense that is used here, it's gotta be Fred Smoot. Just kidding.

It's hard to argue against Antoine Winfield. While he didn't have the greatest immediate impact, he has become one of most valuable Vikings of the last decade.

Ya, I was going to bring up the list of undrafted, but that's not really the point.....plus I was too lazy to try to figure out the list past Randle.
AndyJ1134

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasnt cris carter a FA out of philly? If so, I have a hard time imagining we have ever had a better FA than him.

Maybe Randle if you want to count undrafted free agents.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyJ1134 wrote:
Wasnt cris carter a FA out of philly? If so, I have a hard time imagining we have ever had a better FA than him.

Maybe Randle if you want to count undrafted free agents.

Waiver wire, I believe
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Jared Allen count or not? He was free agent who was franchised, so we had to give KC compensation.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
Does Jared Allen count or not? He was free agent who was franchised, so we had to give KC compensation.

Nope, he was a straight up trade, we didn't even give them franchise tag compensation. So he had signed his franchise tender and then worked out a new deal here.

Purplexing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Kapp.

Led the 1969 Vikings to the SB, after joining in 1967 from the CFL.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
joeybrowner47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think jack del rio had a bigger impact for a longer period of time than leber did. having said that, i cant really complain with this list. winfield # 1 is right. while i dont think hes worth 7plus million per year i think his presence on the defense is priceless. hopefully frazier can mend fences with him and we can get him back still. if not he definetly deserves to be in the ring of honor
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have a hard time putting Gary Anderson on any "greatest" Viking list after that horrendous choke job. Mad

Elisha Cuthbert - Yet another hottie who loves wearing purple and white. Very Happy Go Vikings!

Big props to gopherwrestler for this awesome sig!
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'd have a hard time putting Gary Anderson on any "greatest" Viking list after that horrendous choke job. Mad

That miss is a splinter in the hearts of Vikings fans and a testament to our tortured souls. It is as defining a moment as any in vikings history to me.

Favre's INT was shattering too.

*dishonorable mention - Denard Walker

I love the Vikings, win or lose.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:

If one bad play disqualifies anyone, Favre is out, and maybe a few others, too!

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
perrynoid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bermuda Viking wrote:
Uncle Buck wrote:

That miss is a splinter in the hearts of Vikings fans and a testament to our tortured souls. It is as defining a moment as any in vikings history to me.

Favre's INT was shattering too.

*dishonorable mention - Denard Walker

Although I loathe dealing with counterfactuals...if we had made the extra point in the Chicago game, that game wouldn't have gone into overtime. With home field advantage throughout the playoffs, I don't see us losing against Loseriana.
VikesGuy07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Nice list, really.

My wife used to work at a bank in EP....she always says Gary Anderson is one of the nicest people she's ever met, fwiw.

Hard to argue with the order either, I'd have to really think about it to see it differently, so it must be pretty close.

I worked at a Panera Bread in St. Louis Park for a couple years during high school. Turned out Darren Sharper lived in one of the apartments above the restaurant.

Anyway, he came in in the middle of the week one time, right after a really, really bad loss to the 49ers (too lazy to look, but about 2066, final score was like 10-6 or something). Being a big Vikings fan and a youngster, I wasn't sure what to say to him. So I kept my mouth shut. My manager though asked him if he was in fact Darren Sharper, he said yes, and all my manager replied with was, "What happened on Sunday man?"

Darren looked perturbed, and like he just wanted to get the heck out of there. Totally polite though, not a complaint, just a random 'Cool Story Bro!'

Also: Mark Madsen of the Minnesota Timberwolves came in later that same day. It was the only time I ever saw someone relatively-famous in there, and they both came within hours of one another. Very odd.

Oh P.S. Good list.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: