Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 cap room

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericr0319

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: 2014 cap room Reply with quote

anyone knowing what our cap figure is already looking like for next year?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like 129m
aka over

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last i seen before the league year started we was 14-16 million over...
boondock

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next year we sit at 125,700,286 currently.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap-hit/2014/

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:

From that:

Johnson's $8.75M salary will almost certainly be restructured to prorated bonus (Taking his cap hit from $15 to maybe $12-13M).
Beason can probably be shifted a bit, similarly, saving a million or so against the cap. The issue with these two guys is you have to be careful how they structure it so the 2015 number doesn't get exorbitant.
Kalil can do a similar restructure if we need to.
Gross can be straight up cut if he doesn't take a reduction. His cap hit is $9.7M. They could also extend him for a year or two with a fair bonus and convert a lot of his $6.7M salary to bonus to split it up over a couple years.
Williams will almost certainly be cut next year (if he's not this year as a June 1 cut). Depends on how they handle Stewart.
Godfrey has a $7M cap hit, 5M of which is salary. He'll almost certainly be restructured if he plays well this year.
Tolbert could easily be cut, if necessary. He has $800K in bonuses due to be accounted for in 2014 and 2015.
Hangartner could be cut, if necessary. He's entirely salary.

So, they're sitting at $125M now, and the cap will likely bump up at least slightly (I think early projections are like $122M). They'll likely be working on Newton's deal, which will be a monster deal, but the first year cap hit can be made really manageable if you give him virtually no salary that first year (and his cap hit is already expected to be $7M - that could actually drop if they structure it to do so).

Long story short, I'm not particularly worried about cap space next year.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
shaX 07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
boondock wrote:

From that:

Johnson's $8.75M salary will almost certainly be restructured to prorated bonus (Taking his cap hit from $15 to maybe $12-13M).
Beason can probably be shifted a bit, similarly, saving a million or so against the cap. The issue with these two guys is you have to be careful how they structure it so the 2015 number doesn't get exorbitant.
Kalil can do a similar restructure if we need to.
Gross can be straight up cut if he doesn't take a reduction. His cap hit is $9.7M. They could also extend him for a year or two with a fair bonus and convert a lot of his $6.7M salary to bonus to split it up over a couple years.
Williams will almost certainly be cut next year (if he's not this year as a June 1 cut). Depends on how they handle Stewart.
Godfrey has a $7M cap hit, 5M of which is salary. He'll almost certainly be restructured if he plays well this year.
Tolbert could easily be cut, if necessary. He has $800K in bonuses due to be accounted for in 2014 and 2015.
Hangartner could be cut, if necessary. He's entirely salary.

So, they're sitting at $125M now, and the cap will likely bump up at least slightly (I think early projections are like $122M). They'll likely be working on Newton's deal, which will be a monster deal, but the first year cap hit can be made really manageable if you give him virtually no salary that first year (and his cap hit is already expected to be $7M - that could actually drop if they structure it to do so).

Long story short, I'm not particularly worried about cap space next year.

Why not? We should be worried. We have no room to add any significant players in FA, not even mid-tier guys. Unless we have an INSANE draft this year, we're not a great team.

If our already not great team is ALREADY over the salary cap for next season, we're going to be in the same boat next year as this year.

Add to the fact that, after 2014, we have to do something with Cam Newton, we could really be headed for disaster. Either we let him walk in FA or we give him a long term deal, which is really going to hurt us in the cap.

Looking ahead to 2015, we have only 19 players under contract for 2015, and that amounts to a Salary cap figure of $107 million! Are you kidding me, what the heck is wrong with this franchise. Even if the 2015 cap goes up to 130-135 million, that's still a terrible cap situation.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you miss the part where I said we're maybe $3M over and then gave easy examples of like $15-20M in cap savings? That's not all that worrisome to me.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
faccda01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/46113/panthers-cap-woes-will-last-several-years

We are in trouble for the next few years. Williams won't last past this year and we'll need to shed some more weight before we can do anything in FA for the next few years. Thanks Marty.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/46113/panthers-cap-woes-will-last-several-years

We are in trouble for the next few years. Williams won't last past this year and we'll need to shed some more weight before we can do anything in FA for the next few years. Thanks Marty.
2015 doesn't look ideal, but Kalil, Davis (70%+), Williams (67%+), Smith (70%+), Stewart (50%), Olsen (only $500K guaranteed), Godfrey (70%+), and Tolbert (only $400K) can all be restructure, cut, or extended to create some serious cap room. Percentages of cap hit as salary for many are given. Davis would have a $1.4M cap hit to cut him (or could restructure to lessen his $10.3M figure). Williams we've all been through. Smith is set to "earn" $10M, 7 of which is salary and 2 is prorated signing bonus. Olsen is getting $5.25M in salary with a $500K signing bonus proration ($8.2M total hit). Godfrey has $5M in salary and $1M is signing bonus. Tolbert is $2.4 and $400K.

Again, neither of these cap years is ideal, but they're not woefully problematic. That's all I'm saying.

MrDrew wrote:
Panthers11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People should not have bad taste in their mouth about keeping their own. Hurney spoiled the true nature of it. Players like Hardy, Keek, and Cam will need to be re-signed and the other deals such as Williams, Beason, and Gross shouldn't be thought of when discussing future cap.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
faccda01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
People should not have bad taste in their mouth about keeping their own. Hurney spoiled the true nature of it. Players like Hardy, Keek, and Cam will need to be re-signed and the other deals such as Williams, Beason, and Gross shouldn't be thought of when discussing future cap.

I think they should definitely be thought of, because as of right now they count against us for next year. We don't know who will be willing to restructure and who will remain with the team. Plus Cam will warrant a mammoth extention, and Kuechly/Hardy won't come cheap either.

We aren't sunk but it will take some real creativity for us to have enough cap room to even be competitive in the FA market for next year.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:
I think they should definitely be thought of, because as of right now they count against us for next year. We don't know who will be willing to restructure and who will remain with the team. Plus Cam will warrant a mammoth extention, and Kuechly/Hardy won't come cheap either.

We aren't sunk but it will take some real creativity for us to have enough cap room to even be competitive in the FA market for next year.
Competitive to what extent? Signing big name free agents to plug holes? I want nothing to do with that. Bringing in a couple midtier/backup guys, sounds good. I don't have any concerns that we can probably work it out t be able to do a bit of the latter, but I have no interest in the former, to be honest.

MrDrew wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: