Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Miami Dolphins, free agency winners or losers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DannyWallace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Miami Dolphins, free agency winners or losers? Reply with quote

Our front office came out guns blazing for the first couple days of free agency and surely have one or two moves left but the pace has definitely died down. While the news is quiet, I thought I'd take a moment to bring up another teams off-season so far, the Miami Dolphins.

I can't be the only one here that thinks Miami is making some huge mistakes in free agency and regardless of what analysts and fans want to say, they're not really improving. From my stand point, all I can see is a lot of obnoxious spending and silly contracts on mediocre, inconsistent, risky or dangerous players.

I've always admired the way some of the elite teams managed contracts and players but one thing I'm thankful for is that we don't have a complete dummy like Jeff Ireland running things for us. Without a doubt, Ireland has to be one of the worst GM's in the league and he's sucked so bad over the years that his poor moves this year are being overshadowed by the fact that he's at least spending money and bringing in "big name" free agents.

IMO, the Dolphins may be grabbing all the headlines and turning heads with their aggressiveness in the market but we're having a far better off-season. Typically, we're also a strong drafting team that finds good value in the mid to late rounds, so I think post-draft we'll still be having a much better off-season than the Dolphins.

You heard it here first, all of this obnoxious spending and complete retooling of their team will amount to nothing but high expectations for drastic improvement and potentially even a wildcard birth, followed by disappointment and a 7-9 season again, 8-8 at best. If it weren't for the Bills and Jets imploding this off-season, the Dolphins wouldn't even be sniffing second place in the AFC East.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... this is the Tennessee Titans forum Laughing

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
DannyWallace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:

Oh shoot, I must have slipped in to the wrong forum guys! My deepest apologies Rolling Eyes

But in all seriousness, I can see now that no one in this forum is open to discussion about anything unrelated to the Titans, even when the headlines are thin, so I won't post anything non-Titans again. Although, I was comparing the Dolphins over the top spending and poor management to our current off-season and front office ... guess that wasn't enough to spark conversation.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DannyWallace wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:

Oh shoot, I must have slipped in to the wrong forum guys! My deepest apologies Rolling Eyes

But in all seriousness, I can see now that no one in this forum is open to discussion about anything unrelated to the Titans, even when the headlines are thin, so I won't post anything non-Titans again. Although, I was comparing the Dolphins over the top spending and poor management to our current off-season and front office ... guess that wasn't enough to spark conversation.

History has shown that teams who are big FA spenders on several "big names" don't really show great success as a result, so I'd categorize them as "losers" for now.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i feel like where offseason winners if that means anything. Now hopefully Locker can stay healthy and put this offense on his back and really take control out there

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Shaun Phillips:

Ropati Pitoitua:
latinoaustino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DannyWallace wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:

Sensitive much? Anyway, after seeing the Titans go through cap hell in the early 00's from taking a similar strategy AND resigning our premiere players to HUGE contracts then having to purge 2 years later I agree it's a bad move. Ireland is going to put that team in some serious hurt and the only thing that will make anyone forget about that is going deep in the playoffs.

In my eyes the contracts we gave out aren't crazy or at least near as crazy as the Dolphins.

Adopt A Titan

Alterraun Verner and Scott Solomon
DannyWallace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

latinoaustino wrote:
DannyWallace wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:

Sensitive much? Anyway, after seeing the Titans go through cap hell in the early 00's from taking a similar strategy AND resigning our premiere players to HUGE contracts then having to purge 2 years later I agree it's a bad move. Ireland is going to put that team in some serious hurt and the only thing that will make anyone forget about that is going deep in the playoffs.

In my eyes the contracts we gave out aren't crazy or at least near as crazy as the Dolphins.

If you couldn't sense the extreme sarcasm in my response to Ruskie then ... I guess I need to work on my sarcasm lol, I don't get [inappropriate/removed] that bad.

I completely agree with you though. I've actually been pretty relieved to see us not overpaying like crazy and for the most part, I think all the contracts we've put out there to date have been spot on. The biggest thing for me is that not only are we spending less money than the other "big spenders" but we're finding better value and IMO, the only ones actually making their team better.

It's bad luck to get too excited in March and April but our free agency period has me really optimistic that our front office and coaching staff are doing what they can to make this team a winner, immediately. Hopefully we can put together a strong draft class and go from there.
FootballProdiG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DannyWallace wrote:
latinoaustino wrote:
DannyWallace wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:

If you couldn't sense the extreme sarcasm in my response to Ruskie then ... I guess I need to work on my sarcasm lol, I don't get [inappropriate/removed] that bad.

I completely agree with you though. I've actually been pretty relieved to see us not overpaying like crazy and for the most part, I think all the contracts we've put out there to date have been spot on. The biggest thing for me is that not only are we spending less money than the other "big spenders" but we're finding better value and IMO, the only ones actually making their team better.

It's bad luck to get too excited in March and April but our free agency period has me really optimistic that our front office and coaching staff are doing what they can to make this team a winner, immediately. Hopefully we can put together a strong draft class and go from there.

I basically agree with everything you said.

The problem with this team is we don't have anyone who is a star player. We are basically a team of average and above average players outside of Chris Johnson who is obviously a top 5 RB and the best player on the team. We have no star power, a lot of players who can perform good one week and then the next week come out and completely not even try. I can forgive the rookies like kendall Wright for their inconsistencies, but everyone else have had time in the league to improve their skills since college, but few have. We need playmakers. A Patrick Peterson type of person on defense, a reliable top 10 receiver, hell a top 20 receiver.

People who must step up for us to go positive this year are as follows

1. Jake Locker - For obvious reasons his inconsistent and almost embarrassing play towards the end of the season was just awful. He seems to have regressed from year one. This is do or die for him

2. Chris Johnson - I have no problems with what Chris did last year, but since we are making upgrades to our O line I expect him to have a big year.

3.Zach Brown- Zach was sleeping for half the season and put up average stats. And then busted out with that monster game at the end showing what he is capable of. He has the talent to be top 10 at his position in a few years and I would prefer all of those years are spent on this team and not another.

4.Mike Munchak- Emotionless, boring, and stubborn are just three adjectives to describe Munchak, who despite having a terrible season made almost no changes to entire season to improve it. We never won three games in a row, because he couldn't keep the morale high enough for anyone to want to perform at their highest level. He is not a bad O line coach, and he's good at evaluating talent. But the best teams in the league have coaches who are enthusiastic about what they do. Even the Giants and Pats coaches who are known as being emotionless, get angry when their teams mess up plays. Something that Munchak HAS NEVER done. Why would anyone care about their peformance when he doesn't even care? I guarantee if we had a coach like Pete Carrol or Jim Harbaugh our team would win 2-3 more games by default of being much more happy to play every Sunday.
lamont

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless how much money the Dolphins owner throws out to free agents, they will probably never win another championship. Speaking from experience there are too many distractions in South Florida for me when I have visited. I cannot imagine the distractions for a multi millionarie professional athlete in Miami.

I forgot what sports writer wrote this but he said that he worked a Dolphins home game back in the mid 2000s and he finished his reporting work and decided to head to South Beach for late afternoon drink and see the "sites". He walks in a South Beach establishment and TE Randy McMichael and WR Chris Chambers are already holding court at the bar. The Dolphin players had beat him to South Beach and they had just lost a game 2 hours earlier!! Shocked

Do I think the Dolphins are going to be losers in this free agent splurge? Yes. But it is for a different reason than what the original post suggested. Big free agency contracts to South Florida professional teams and South Beach are a professional athlete's kryptonite unless your name is Lebron James. I think it is the reason 5-head & Fish avoided going there like the plague. Miami is a great place to play, but it is not a great place to play if you catch my drift. Wink

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
titanrick

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if I were a Dolphins fan, this offseason would scare the heck outta me. I didn't want Wallace at all. I think he's a product of having great speed and one of the best "buying time" QBs to ever play in Big Ben. Pair him up with an average QB and he won't have near the impact he had in Pittsburgh. I actually like the Brandon Gibson signing better than the Wallace one, considering the money involved.

They lost Jake Long who, although he had injury concerns, was a franchise LT when healthy. And those don't grow on trees. That was a tough call though - he may just continue to battle injuries and retire early, a la Tony Boselli.

I liked Ellerbe, but LBs can be a gamble since they depend a lot on scheme and the players around them. Not a huge fan of Wheeler though.

When you start giving big contracts to players who were allowed to walk away scot-free by their former teams, that's not a recipe for success. You can argue we did that with Levitre, but if it becomes a pattern, you're in trouble. They had better hope Tannehill turns into Brady 2.0 and fast.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far it looks like they're winners. They got some good young players and they're surrounding Tannehill with weapons to work with. The question is, are they a group who's going to gel together and work as a team toward a common goal, like getting to the SuperBowl? Or are they now just a group of talented individuals trying to pad their stats while living large. It's really going to come down to how well your coaching staff handle these guys and get them to buy in to the system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: