Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jarvis Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dat Raider


Joined: 20 Oct 2008
Posts: 4464
Location: London aka LDN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
If we're ever going to run a hybrid D, Jones would be an awesome pick. He reminds me a lot of Clay Matthews. Just hope his back checks out.


That's Tarver's MO. We ran a lot of hybrid looks last season, but all our players sucked so it didn't work too great. With the addition of a pass rusher and a good corner, we can make a lot more noise on defense.
_________________
RIP Al Davis. Thank you for this team
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DarthDavis


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 5213
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Darth,

I've stated my case with Dion Jordan numerous times, I'm sick of saying the same things over and over again because no one around here seems to remember. That's #1.

#2, You don't know anything about me. You don't even know anything about what this forum has become since you've been gone. So I don't know where you get off parading around like you're some example of class. You wanna talk class? How about dissing someone when they're not around? How 'classy' is that? How about whining in FFMD when you disagree with picks, but are NEVER around to put in work or give any insight? Yeah, total "class".

And how ironic is this?
DarthDavis wrote:
"Wait... did someone start a legitimate thread posting a question that contradicts what I think?"

That's literally EXACTLY what you're doing. I got into it before with you about Dion/Jarvis and you shrugged it off because it "wasn't the right thread". In the small retort you gave, you said: "If you say spine blah blah blah, I'll say shoulder blah, blah, blah". How dismissive and condescending is that? What kind of person thinks a SPINE injury is just as concerning as a shoulder injury? Where did you get your doctorate? Because I think you need to go back and put in some more work.

Why should I have any respect for you or the things you say? You clearly don't have any for me. You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house. I'm not responding to you if you try talking to me again. In this, or any other thread.

If you had a problem with me, you should have shot me a PM. But don't bother now.


1. Apologies for having never witnessed your declaration of love for Dion Jordan. Next time I will be more thurough in reading every thread post before I post. I was genuinely interested in why he is such a great fit for Oakland, no one has given such an answer formally to me. I was anxious for the opportunity.

2. "Never put in work," you are the one that showed up a day or two before draft day. I was a trade liason, I was just there to help out and wanted to put my 2cents in after spending a bunch of time contacting teams trying to trade such stellar commodities as McClain, DHB, and Kelly. I could have been at the beach. I never wanted a formal role because I didn't want that big of a part. I never whined or complained, I got it a whole bunch of people liked Dion Jordan, I didn't even open my yap once about Jarvis Jones and certainly didn't complain about the pick. Making the transition to a 3-4 I did think required more attention to our front 7 then picking up the San Jose State prospects. But that doesn't matter anyway.

3. I am sorry you felt dissed. Didn't mean to diss you. Just thought your posts were on the lame side and rather passive. I was hoping to finally hear a dialogue about pass rushers in this draft.

4. We didn't get in to it, we started to and it clearly wasn't the right thread for it. So here is a whole thread dedicated to the prospect Jarvis Jones and the question posed is why is Dion Jordan and Ziggy Ansah getting more love then this guy? If you want to go in to your gif./defense mode then whatever dude. I just want to talk about football. I could care less how cool I sound.

5. The spine injuyr knock on Jarvis has never been cleared by doctors and now the report is that he never had the condition. I was just saying that the knock on Jones have a spine condition (which he doesn't) is equal to the legitimate reoccuring shoulder injury to Jordan (which he does). I was so willing to engage a dialogue about this that I was going to relent this. Because despite it all Jones is still the better prospect IMO.

6. I don't want to get into an internet pissing contest with you man. I just want to talk football. I do in fact respect you, I enjoy reading your posts. I was dissappointed is all as I was hoping to see legitimate conversation about football and not ego.

Until next time stay classy Rochester.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NCOUGHMAN


Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 14569
Location: Stockton via East Palo Alto
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
justwinbaby81 wrote:
Dat Raider wrote:
bitty wrote:
justwinbaby81 wrote:
bitty wrote:
I was hard on Jones but since then the answer two my three concerns. ( Size and injury)
If he could run in the 4.5 - 4.6 and show he has fluid hips.
I wouldn't be against drafting him.


So basically you wouldnt be against drafting him if he's good at everything? "Bold strategy Cotton, lets see if it pays off for 'em."

Why anyone wouldn't want the best defensive player available on game tape from last year at a position of need is beyond me, considering his only issue everyone had was answered. He was probably mis-diagnosed and not one doctor has seen a problem since. Now everyone has a problem because months went by where posters have been infatuated with one guy and are getting [inappropriate/removed] that "their guy" that they've been pushing isn't really the best option anymore.



Because he's more of a 3-4 OLB. If a 4-3 team drafts him he must show that he won't be a liability in pass coverage.


On the contrary, he's actually better suited for OLB in a 4-3 defense. IMHO, our team is going to run a lot of hybrid looks anyway, so 3-4/4-3 are just numbers. If the player can help us, then it doesn't matter. His game tape is very good. Great football player with great IQ. If we can get him at #3 it will be a victory.


I absolutely agree. I think he is primarily a 4-3 OLB also.


I don't understand why you think he's more of an 4-3 LB?
The weakest part of his game is pass coverage.
In three years of football he had 5 past breakups and 1Int but had 28 sacks.


i cant help but think he will look like kam did as a 4-3 olb. i think he will get exposed the further he is away from the L.O.S.
_________________


green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN >>>>>> all of you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raidersgo25


Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 239
Location: Oakland,CA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this thread to discuss how The Nation feels about Jarvis, and why other prospects seem to be rated higher on a lot of draft boards. Idk why everyone wanted to take the thread as a joke in the first page, but glad we're back on track discussing football. I've been on the forum a while now, and dont understand why some of you guys are so quick to shoot down posters that dont write often or are less popular lol but back to Jarvis...
I think he would be great as a highbrid OLB. He can play on the line in a 4-3 still, with 2 linebackers in the next level I saw this a lot when he played at Georgia. He is a play maker, and if we can pick up a solid coverage backer in FA or the draft, add a big guy to clog the middle, and find a way to resign Bryant who is crucial to this offseason, we will be ableto field a pretty exciting D next year. I really like Tarver, and I think he will get the most out of what we got as our defense only improved as the season went on next year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LivingLegendWFC


Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 11081
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line is if Jones is healthy he has to be a serious option at three. Ive been beating the table for Geno lately because I believe he can be a franchise QB, but if there is any doubt in the front office's mind and they are confident in Jone's medical issues he should be the pick. Either of these guys would set our team up for success in the future quite a bit, as I have said numerous times I think Jones can be an elite, top five pass rusher in the NFL, and his versatility allows you to do just about anything with your defense.

Jones is imvho the best player in this draft far and away. Hes got the production in the SEC, he has a non stop motor, hes a great teammate. I am interested to see what his numbers are, and I was dissapointed that he didnt do anything at the combine, but if his goal was to get some momentum going his way towards his health he seems to have done it. Hes still the number one player on my big board and would be ecstatic if we land him.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mhuff24


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 2002
Location: M-Town, RI
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know its not exactly the same but i look at him kind of like jared sullinger, i guess just because they both had back issuses, even though i honestly dont know if theyre even at all alike. im a celtics fan and loved taking sullinger but we took him with i believe the 21st pick in the draft....not the third. and tho he looked good and played well......hes not on the court right now. and sadly it seems like the majority of raider fans that post here are finished with darren mcfadden for that reason. i completly disagree with that by the way. but do we want another player on our team thats great but doesnt play.

i still dont really have a favorite for our pick at 3, though id love to take joekel i doubt he'll be there. im really really hoping we can move back to 8 in a trade so buffalo can take geno. fitzpatrick just got cut you never know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
LivingLegendWFC


Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 11081
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhuff24 wrote:
i know its not exactly the same but i look at him kind of like jared sullinger, i guess just because they both had back issuses, even though i honestly dont know if theyre even at all alike. im a celtics fan and loved taking sullinger but we took him with i believe the 21st pick in the draft....not the third. and tho he looked good and played well......hes not on the court right now. and sadly it seems like the majority of raider fans that post here are finished with darren mcfadden for that reason. i completly disagree with that by the way. but do we want another player on our team thats great but doesnt play.
i still dont really have a favorite for our pick at 3, though id love to take joekel i doubt he'll be there. im really really hoping we can move back to 8 in a trade so buffalo can take geno. fitzpatrick just got cut you never know.


Jarvis never missed a game while at UGA that I can recall (maybe one). Its a condition (if it is, still can never be sure around draft time) that could effect him down the line, but its not something that he claims causes him any problems currently. Its not like the guy is banged up all the time, its just a worry that he MIGHT have a shorter career though nobody can say that with any certainty. Outside of that hes been a healthy guy that played through injuries to be on the field.

I get what your saying, but its different.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dreadymatt


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 1039
Location: Saturn
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing as our D looks like being stripped back so far (and assuming we don't get a good trade down offer) who would be the better long term investment?

I'm not sure but I'm leaning towards Jones, but lets face it we are short almost everywhere
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raidersgo25


Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 239
Location: Oakland,CA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read that he also lead the league in forced fumbles, tackle for losses, and sacks. This guy is a beast I really hope we draft him, although im starting to think Reggie wont because he will want his first pick to be sure fire, no health concerns. I dont think Jones spine should be an issue, but I can see Mackenzie playing it safe rather than feeling sorry.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dreadymatt


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 1039
Location: Saturn
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

given the signings (and losses, such as Wheeler) we've made (Sims reduces the appeal of Star to me) I'm personally leaniing towards drafting Jarvis Jones
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RaisinBran


Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 9462
Location: 925/805
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still would rather have Dion Jordan over Jones. Dee Milliner too.
_________________
(MLB)=A's, (NFL)=Raiders, (NBA)= Warriors

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DarthDavis


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 5213
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvis Jones is being speculated as a target for oakland by Bill Williamson. The signing of Burnett is a major tell that the Raiders are thinking 3-4 long term.

RE- Kelly/Bilukidi
NT- Sims/Kelly/Bilukidi
LE- Houston/Crawford


ROLB- Jones
RILB- Roach
LILB- Burnett
LOLB- Burris

Its a work in progress not saying this is how it would be. Just some thoughts.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baggabonez


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 5482
Location: RaiderNation
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthDavis wrote:
Jarvis Jones is being speculated as a target for oakland by Bill Williamson. The signing of Burnett is a major tell that the Raiders are thinking 3-4 long term.

RE- Kelly/Bilukidi
NT- Sims/Kelly/Bilukidi
LE- Houston/Crawford


ROLB- Jones
RILB- Roach
LILB- Burnett
LOLB- Burris

Its a work in progress not saying this is how it would be. Just some thoughts.


I don't think there is anything anyone can do to discourage the 34 defense line of thinking. However, the Raiders have not been linked to ANY high profile OLBs. Let me know when McKenzie (ie: Raiders) interview Jones. The only link to an OLB is Mike Taylor and Werner (if you believe he can stand up). Not that the lack of interviews is the end all but I would guess will know more mar 22. Georgia pro day.
_________________
Raiders 2014 Draft (check out my draft review tell me what you think)
Mancrush 2014: DE Clowney, WR Watkins, OT Robinson, LB Shazier, FS Brooks, TE ASJ, OG Jackson, WR Janis, OT Lucas, OT Tiny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dreadymatt


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Posts: 1039
Location: Saturn
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

his 4.9 40 time isn't impressive, given our now much imporved (IMO) LB unit I say we pass Jones

OL or CB my favourite choices now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bleedin_Silver


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 127
Location: middletown ohio
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/22/reggie-mckenzie-on-jarvis-jones-you-cant-change-what-you-see-on-tape/
_________________
One World, One Nation

RAIDER NATION
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group