Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Panthers pre-draft thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iknowcool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could always just keep trading our first round pick for the next year. Then in a way, we really aren't actually losing a first round pick! [/Hurney]
Zithers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've scheduled a private workout with Florida LB Jelani Jenkins.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so torn on what I want in RD 1.
I like the S and WR options more in RD 2.
Not too crazy about 1st round DT's.
Lane Johnson would be solid.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
We've scheduled a private workout with Florida LB Jelani Jenkins.
He wasn't ever able to stay healthy at Florida, so he could slip down the board. Not sure about the 4th, but he'd be a great pick in the 5th.
faccda01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
faccda01 wrote:
No Sheldon Richardson mentioned so far, am I missing something?

Also, by no means should we trade up. If anything we need to trade back. This draft class is filled with depth, but very weak at the top. We've also seen how much trouble trading up gets us. We've lost two #1s, and the first overall pick of the second round, all for trading up for players that aren't even on the roster anymore (Otah, Brown, soon to be Edwards).

Look at the successful teams, NE, SF, etc. They stock up on picks, so if they need to trade up they have the ammo to do it without mortgaging the future. If they don't trade up, they have ample picks. The odds of a team finding a good player increase with the amount of picks they have.
Interestingly, New England traded up last year. Twice.

27 to 21. And back into the first round at 25.

And the Steelers (another "this is what we should be like" franchise) were about to trade up last year to take DeCastro until the Seahawks took Irvin (one of the two players the Jets - the to-be trade partner - wanted).

So, yes, it does happen. The idea of preferring more picks is generally a good one, I think. But an absolute prohibition on trading up is a bad idea. If you have the opportunity to take someone whom you think will be a franchise player, it absolutely can be worth the risk of losing your chance on potentially 2 or 3 players who might be contributors or, in very rare circumstances, stars.

There's also a difference between trading future picks and trading picks within a draft, I think.

However, I think if you have the opportunity to get a guy you think is essentially going to be what Jordan Gross has been (for the most part of his career, a top flight offensive tackle, pro bowl player, and mainstay on your offensive line for a decade), I'd make that trade and not even think twice about it. A perennial quality starter at LT for a mid-first round pick and the equivalent of a mid-third round pick? Hell yes. Sign me up for that.

If you don't think Johnson is likely to turn out to be that player, then obviously you don't make the trade.

Good points, don't necessarily disagree with you. However, as I mentioned, this year's class is more about depth than top tier talent. Take the 2007 trade with the Jets as an example. Did we miss out on Revis? Yeah, but we got Beason and Kalil. This draft has the depth that the later rounds will have comparable production to the earlier rounds. We are already missing picks as it is, so this year, I would not trade up in the first under any circumstances.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
Good points, don't necessarily disagree with you. However, as I mentioned, this year's class is more about depth than top tier talent. Take the 2007 trade with the Jets as an example. Did we miss out on Revis? Yeah, but we got Beason and Kalil. This draft has the depth that the later rounds will have comparable production to the earlier rounds. We are already missing picks as it is, so this year, I would not trade up in the first under any circumstances.
That's fair. I'm not saying I really want them to move up (especially because we're short on picks and have a few holes to fill). But, if they did move up to grab him, at this point I couldn't say I'd blame them and I understand why they'd do it.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=92694&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/12/aaron-dobson-scouting-report.html

I like what I see in Aaron Dobson pretty good speed for his size and jerks the ball out of the air a lot of times one handed. Not sure if I'd take in the 2nd and not sure he will be there in the 4th though.

Thanks CK
fretgod99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody want to take a flyer on Kyler Reed (TE - Nebraska) in like the 6th or 7th?

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
I'm so torn on what I want in RD 1.
I like the S and WR options more in RD 2.
Not too crazy about 1st round DT's.
Lane Johnson would be solid.

Preach.

Although if Star Lotulelei was there I'm not sure who I would want.
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
Zithers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're meeting with Keenan Allen... fourth wideout so far.

We also met w/ Mizz LB Zaviar Gooden.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
We're meeting with Keenan Allen... fourth wideout so far.

We also met w/ Mizz LB Zaviar Gooden.

Allen is an intriguing prospect. I don't think his ceiling is as high as some of the other prospects, but is probably the most pro ready WR in this draft.

He's definitely an option if we can move back to the 20's.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per his Twitter we worked out Arkansas guard Alvin Bailey.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
FIU S Johnathan Cyprien is working out for the Panthers on Tuesday.
We are guessing Cyprien is in Carolina going through the workout, since Jenna Laine, who provided the report, stated that this is the first of seven or eight team visits. It might not be popular, but we think Cyprien is almost certainly a first-round selection and our own Josh Norris recently ranked him at No. 19 overall.

Thanks CK
boondock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
Quote:
FIU S Johnathan Cyprien is working out for the Panthers on Tuesday.
We are guessing Cyprien is in Carolina going through the workout, since Jenna Laine, who provided the report, stated that this is the first of seven or eight team visits. It might not be popular, but we think Cyprien is almost certainly a first-round selection and our own Josh Norris recently ranked him at No. 19 overall.

He is definitely an option if we move back into the 20's.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I am new here!

Players I like:

Tavon Austin: The guy is short, but he can dance with the best of them. He has elite speed and creates tons of separation from his man. He is hard to jam at the line because of his ability to instantly accelerate or roll away from his man. He isn't the greatest pass catcher I've seen and might struggle to catch in traffic early in his career. He needs to bulk up or add weight as well.

Sheldon Richardson: He is very explosive for an interior rusher and still can fill out his frame. He is very similar to Geno Atkins, although he is a better as well as older, prospect coming out of college. If he fills out his frame and keeps healthy he could be a elite interior pass-rush presence.

Star Loutelie: One of the best NT prospects in recent years, he is a great athlete whose strength alone commands double teams. He constantly collapses the line and was dominant versus the run. During his pro day he put up solid numbers, especially his bench press. However, the question remains as to how serious an issue his heart is, if it is an issue at all.

I guess I should get to know the other players in the draft better, but at the moment I feel that this years draft features above average Offensive Tackle, Guard, Defensive Line, and Safety depth while being underwhelming at the Quarterback, Center, and Cornerback positions. I feel that the draft is relatively average in all other aspects.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: