Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FA Winners and Losers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: FA Winners and Losers Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/03/14/winners-losers-two-days-free-agency-peyton-manning-tom-brady-dolphins-browns-ravens/1987405/

I'll never get over how the media and fans label big spenders every year as the "winners", and the teams that sit quiet as the "losers". Come November, it's almost always the other way around.

Why do we ignore recent history much when in the middle of free agency?

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too early to decide. The media just needs something to write about. Let's see who we actually re-sign before claiming we won or lost.

Still a ton of very good free agents out on the market...
ark23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Too early to decide. The media just needs something to write about. Let's see who we actually re-sign before claiming we won or lost.

Still a ton of very good free agents out on the market...

I agree. I'm far more comfortable searching for bargains than going out and signing the big name free agents and overpaying. You win through the draft not free agency, and I feel comfortable right now.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they will change it to winners when we extend our own, but probably not. It's not flashy enough for national writers who pretend to know about individual teams.

You gotta love that the article actually said Cleveland was a winner for getting Kruger UNDER market value. As Chad would say, "Child please"
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thought, we re-signed Geathers. To a sizeable contract. We are losers...
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't done much. I think they will bring back Smith and either Newman or Jones.

This is what we expected. They will resign their own and eventually sign some older cheaper guys, but we were not going to go out and make a big splash signing. Sure we would have liked to see guys like Bush come here, but I don't care as of now. Still good players out there that can help us

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
On second thought, we re-signed Geathers. To a sizeable contract. We are losers...

Until I see the actual numbers, i don't know. What if it was backloaded?
sparky151

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geathers' contract was announced as 3 years for 9 mil with a 3.25 mil cap hit for 2013. That's frontloaded slightly.
futbudds

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad we didn't make any big splashes this year. Steven jackson was the only top tier guy I would've been happy grabbing. Is Winfield's signing range alot higher than Newman's? I don't understand why we would be chasing after Terrence when Winfield is out there.

And my fingers are crossed for darryl smith.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ventured onto another Bengals board off a recommendation from the baseball board I frequent and they are all going nuts nuts because we haven't signed 3 all pros and used all our cap space yet. It's like trying to rationalize with my two year old when I am telling he can't have any more sugar right now.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the frustration, it would be nice to make a splash, but it makes no sense when you have two big contracts minimum coming up and possibly a few more. Just get Andre and one of those quality safeties and worry about the draft.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beck Bristow wrote:
I get the frustration, it would be nice to make a splash, but it makes no sense when you have two big contracts minimum coming up and possibly a few more. Just get Andre and one of those quality safeties and worry about the draft.

It's short term satisfaction. You can have the big splash, but it's going to hurt later. I'm always happy every year when they don't spend big money. The two times it's happened (Antonio Bryant and LColes), iit's backfired. Draft well and spend the money on your own. It's a sure fire strategy.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: