Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tommy Kelly expects release from Raiders
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we cut Kelly I don't see anybody offering him more than $2m, would you resign him for that?
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dat Raider wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Dat Raider wrote:
When on earth are we going to make our releases? I'm hoping we do it before the start of Free Agency. We need as much cap space as possible, just so we can go for one of the RTs or CBs.

And so it begins.

The Raiders don't need to cut anyone. They have cap room currently. There is no rush to cut players they have. Let the market play and see if they find some trade value, etc. before outright releasing them.

If any of you are expecting the Raiders to be involved in FA early w/ outside signings you're going to be disappointed. They are not going to be active in the spending spree and I wouldn't expect any 'big name' signings to happen.

I'm aware of our cap situation, we're about $8m under the cap, which is ok. However, with players like Kelly, we have no more use for him, so why keep him when we can get rid of him asap and create even more cap room. Are you seriously content with our cap room? $8 is whack. Expecting a 'big name' free agent is certainly not what I am expecting from McKenzie as that is not his MO. However, getting one of the better RTs or CBs in free agency will not be a surprise seeing as we would have a lot more cap room than we did last year. Now i'm not talking about Al Davis type contracts, but we are in a much better position to get a player of a higher calibre without the "out of whack" contract.

There is NO trade value that Kelly holds, either. I don't know what you're thinking. That was maybe a couple of years ago, but in this day there is no chance. His salary for 2013 is $6.5m and his salary for 2014 is $7m. He's 32 years old and has a history of an abundance of penalties. Trade value, yeah? Ok mate, if that makes you sleep at night.

If we plan on designating post june 1st cuts, we have to wait for the new league year to start. That's today 4pm. That could be why we're not cutting anyone yet.
Dat Raider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oak42069 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
Dreadymatt wrote:
our lack of cap space is going to leave us struggling to sign anybody for much above league minimum (wonder who we get for that except recently out-of-league players, we need to see a list of decent CFL/UFL players, anyone seen one?), personally think we'll probably loose our best FA's too

What are you talking about? We were in way worse shape last season.

And we while all of them didnt work out we signed the following and still had space left over.

Brisel
Wheeler
Spencer
Bartell
Hanson
Carter

Not to mention the guys we resigned.

This. The Raiders are 8 million under. The best they've been in years. Regardless, they are not going to overpay players early.

They have enough cap room to make moves w/out having to worry about cuts currently.

and that number 8 is without doing anything with Kelly and Romac at this point?

so if that is the case, we should be 13 under after those release...

no ?

Releasing Kelly would save us $4.8m, which would put us $13-13.5m under the cap.
Dat Raider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Dat Raider wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Dat Raider wrote:
When on earth are we going to make our releases? I'm hoping we do it before the start of Free Agency. We need as much cap space as possible, just so we can go for one of the RTs or CBs.

And so it begins.

The Raiders don't need to cut anyone. They have cap room currently. There is no rush to cut players they have. Let the market play and see if they find some trade value, etc. before outright releasing them.

If any of you are expecting the Raiders to be involved in FA early w/ outside signings you're going to be disappointed. They are not going to be active in the spending spree and I wouldn't expect any 'big name' signings to happen.

I'm aware of our cap situation, we're about $8m under the cap, which is ok. However, with players like Kelly, we have no more use for him, so why keep him when we can get rid of him asap and create even more cap room. Are you seriously content with our cap room? $8 is whack. Expecting a 'big name' free agent is certainly not what I am expecting from McKenzie as that is not his MO. However, getting one of the better RTs or CBs in free agency will not be a surprise seeing as we would have a lot more cap room than we did last year. Now i'm not talking about Al Davis type contracts, but we are in a much better position to get a player of a higher calibre without the "out of whack" contract.

There is NO trade value that Kelly holds, either. I don't know what you're thinking. That was maybe a couple of years ago, but in this day there is no chance. His salary for 2013 is $6.5m and his salary for 2014 is $7m. He's 32 years old and has a history of an abundance of penalties. Trade value, yeah? Ok mate, if that makes you sleep at night.

If we plan on designating post june 1st cuts, we have to wait for the new league year to start. That's today 4pm. That could be why we're not cutting anyone yet.

I was just about to correct myself. I'm expecting McClain and Kelly to be gone as soon as 4pm hits today. Thanks for that.
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember Jay Alford, DT we signed him a few years ago (3rd round draft pick by the Giants in 2007), he's on the Saskatchewan Roughriders roster, so (and sorry to bang the excessively cheap drum) but he could surely provide decent competition at trainign camp
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadymatt wrote:
remember Jay Alford, DT we signed him a few years ago (3rd round draft pick by the Giants in 2007), he's on the Saskatchewan Roughriders roster, so (and sorry to bang the excessively cheap drum) but he could surely provide decent competition at trainign camp

Are you serious now? Last year, we signed Wheeler, Spencer and Lee for the vet minimum. You don't have to go digging into the CFL to get players for cheap.
Btw, i can play some DB, at least i could 10 years ago, should i send my resume to McKenzie? For the vet minimum, i can clean the locker room too.
raiders707

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep him with all BS aside he's a starter he's all we got since day 1
Bone_Collector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance we keep him and put him back at the UT spot?

Props to cdUbs14 for the sig!

On the Panthers signing Roman Harper:
Harper41 wrote:
I feel like I just walked in on my brother and my wife.

Laughing
Ro4DPoY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Dreadymatt wrote:

Are you serious now? Last year, we signed Wheeler, Spencer and Lee for the vet minimum. You don't have to go digging into the CFL to get players for cheap.
Btw, i can play some DB, at least i could 10 years ago, should i send my resume to McKenzie? For the vet minimum, i can clean the locker room too.

Do it! I'd rock your jersey man. Definitely for vet minimum.

Been wanting to do this for a while now. Let's see what happens.
Rolni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bone_Collector wrote:
Any chance we keep him and put him back at the UT spot?

Not with that 11M cap figure IMO...
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiders707 wrote:
I'd keep him with all BS aside he's a starter he's all we got since day 1

I don't think Kelly will be in Oakland after the draft. However, I wouldn't be that surprised if he is retained as McKenzie is trying to space out his dead money regardless of whether he could do it all or not he has his reasons that are unbeknown to us.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: