Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3 prospects I think the Saints could suprise us with at 15:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: 3 prospects I think the Saints could suprise us with at 15: Reply with quote

Below are 3 NFL draft prospects I feel the Saints could shock everyone by selecting one of them with the 15th overall selection on draft day…

1. DJ Fluker OT Alabama

The secret is out… Fluker has nimble feet and is soaring up the draft boards after his Alabama pro-day. I keep going back to a question Sean Payton was asked about when he returned from his suspension…

Sean Payton On what his top priorities are heading into the season:
Quote:
“We have to be able to, and these two things go side by side, but we have to be able to play better defense and run the ball better. They go hand in hand. I think statistically, week four or five in the season last year we were ranked 32nd in defense and 32nd in rushing. Those are bad numbers that equate to losses. It was no coincidence that we were 0-4 at that time.”

What that statement tells me is that Sean realizes we need to get better on defense but at the same time commit to the run more and become more efficient at pounding the rock. That’s easier said than done. Of course the Saints possesses the stable of backs to accomplish this but it’s upfront where the Saints need to add more talent to make this a realality.

DJ Fluker could be the answer to the Saints quest at a better more efficient running game. At Alabama, Fluker paved the way for one of the best running games in the nation. He’s a mountain of a man and is an absolute mauler in the running game. As of late, Fluker has been wowing scouts with his nimble feet and short area quickness for such a large man. Flukers extremely long arms, wide base and powerful punch make him a great fit on the right side of the Saints offensive line and would allow New Orleans to move Charles Brown over to the left side where his athletic ability as a former tight end would be better suited.

2. Jessie Williams NT/DT/DE Alabama

Going back to what Payton’s comments were regarding his top priorities, improving the defense and running game. If the Saints don’t go with Fluker they very well select his Alabama teammate Jessie Williams. Williams is another prospect who blew scouts away with his surprising athletic ability and brute strength but it was Williams overall versatility that really stood out with scouts.

The Saints were one of if not the worst run defenses in the NFL last season and any DC will tell you it all starts with stopping the run. Williams is a guy you can line up ANYWHERE along Rob Ryans defensive 3 man front and he’ll bring attitude and playmaking ability upfront.

3. Datone Jones DE UCLA

If it’s an upfront pass rusher the Saints covet, then UCLA’s Datone Jones could very well be their guy. Jones is a freak athlete and has the size, physicality and power to develop into a nightmare upfront opposite Cameron Jordan. While Jones doesn’t possess the overall versatility of Williams, he’s a much better pass rusher and is even athletic enough to stand up at times as an outside edge rusher.

Who are your prospects you think the Saints might surprise us with?

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o

Last edited by whodatworm23 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No to all of them. I'll be pissed if we go offense with our 1st pick, let alone for a RT!

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
No to all of them. I'll be pissed if we go offense with our 1st pick, let alone for a RT!

Let me ask you a question Spart... Since Payton and Loomis has been running this franchise, how many times did they pissed you off in the 1st round on draft day thus far?

For me it's more than I can count... that's why I see these guys as real possibilities.

Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Let me ask you a question Spart... Since Payton and Loomis has been running this franchise, how many times did they pissed you off in the 1st round on draft day thus far?

For me it's more than I can count... that's why I see these guys as real possibilities.

Let's see:

2010- P. Robinson (I wanted Kindle)
2007- Robert Meachem
2011- Mark Ingram

About it.

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Let's see:

2010- P. Robinson (I wanted Kindle)
2007- Robert Meachem
2011- Mark Ingram

About it.

That's 3 out of 6, so 50% of the time...

Add Malcolm Jenkins and Sedrick Ellis for me to go along with Meachem and Ingram.

Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was for at the time? I thought Ellis was going to be a good DT for us & Jenkins would take over for Sharper nicely. ....I was wrong.

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2006: Wanted Bush, got Bush.
2007: Wanted Posluszny, got Meachem.
2008: Wanted Clady, traded up for Ellis.
2009: Wanted Cushing, got Jenkins.
2010: Wanted Gronk, got Robinson but landed Graham in 3rd!
2011: Wanted Jordan, got Jordan... Wanted Sheard, got Ingram.
2012: Wanted our pick back, got NOTHING!

krewebrees

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavon Austin WR West Virgina
You know Sean can't control himself when he finds an O-skill player he likes.

Adopt a Saint 2013
Malcolm Jenkins: 71 tckl, 3 PDef, 2 int, 2 ff, 2.5 sck
thesolution

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:

This Shocked Me and my co-worker was talking about the samething. I told him if he finds a way to get RR everything he wants in free agency then I could see this happen..

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluker's a good ball player, but I really don't want a RT in the first round. I could live with the other two, but wouldn't me ecstatic about the selection. I can't even call what we've done with O-lineman in the draft luck. Our scout team and Loomis have had the skill of drafting late round OL players and turning them into all-pros. I expect us to take an OL in round 3 or 4, unless one of the top 3 OTs fall.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
SaintsBeast

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesolution wrote:
krewebrees wrote:

This Shocked Me and my co-worker was talking about the samething. I told him if he finds a way to get RR everything he wants in free agency then I could see this happen..

He'll probably tell RR that he'll use every other pick we have on the defense, so long as he can pick Tavon Austin with our first.

2012 Adopt-A-Saint:
Martez Wilson, DE: 1 Sack, 6 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block
Will Smith, DE: 2 Sacks, 22 Tackles, 0 FF
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind Fluker...as long as LT gets figured out in free agency. He's an excellent RT prospect...but it's desperation mode at LT. I am much more confident that the Saints can find a RT late than LT. It took the Saints three years to develop Bushrod...and that was with one of the best o-Line coaches in the league. Not anymore.

I could see either Williams or Jones at 15.
FLOODx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3 surprise picks at 15 would be
Jamie Collins
Tavon Austin or Cordarelle Patterson if he somehow falls
Jesse Williams

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
krewebrees

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaintsBeast wrote:
thesolution wrote:
krewebrees wrote:

He'll probably tell RR that he'll use every other pick we have on the defense, so long as he can pick Tavon Austin with our first.

I don't know why everyone is saying we need to go all defense or all but one defensive player in the draft. With Sean we've always carried more offensive players than D. RBs and Wr with different skill sets but most just Sean likes his offense. Some years we've had a 24 26 split and some 27 23. Since our D needs help I'll assume 24 26.

If we sign no more players even our own free agents we have 20 on D and 22 on O. We always get an undrafted free agent on both. The last two years Walker Quddus Cadet and Morgan. It's looking like we might get Butler. That leaves 2 spots on D and 3 on O. We only have 5 picks, but are likely getting a compensatory pick or two.

I've actually toyed with the idea of trading up in the draft. We don't NEED that many picks, but obviously we don't want to throw away picks we have to trade for something. Maybe Lane Johnson or if a players fall to the late second/early third we trade our third up. Just a thought. These numbers aren't set in stone. They can change if the draft happens to go a certain way, but don't be surprised if we draft more offensive players than defensive players.

Adopt a Saint 2013
Malcolm Jenkins: 71 tckl, 3 PDef, 2 int, 2 ff, 2.5 sck
tdcreator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want a surprise. Mingo, Jordan, or one of the top 3 OT and if not trade down. I'm hoping for Mingo, our front 5 would be awesome and even our 4-3 package would be awesome. I imagine Gallett, Smith, Bunkley, Jordan, and Mingo up front in our 3-4 look and Gallett, Smith, Jordan, and Mingo with Vilma at MLB for obvious passing downs.

3rd get either the best OT or corner. I'm hoping Poyer falls a little

In the 4th or 5th I'd like Landry Jones if he is still there and a TE with the other.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: