Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top 5 remaining moves I’d like to see the Saints make:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Top 5 remaining moves I’d like to see the Saints make: Reply with quote

1. Sign Sebastian Vollmer and cut Zach Strief.
Why…
Vollmer was rated the best right tackle in the NFL last season before he began to fight the injury bug. In New England’s pass happy up tempo offense, Vollmer excelled and I truly feel he’s a starting left tackle in the NFL. The Saints would land an experienced young blindside protector with way more potential than Bushrod ever had to protect Tom Benson’s 100 million dollar investment.

2. Trade Roman Harper and sign Bernard Pollard.
Why…
The Saints secondary was atrocious last season and while some feel Harper will be better in Ryan’s scheme… he was still a major liability in coverage under Williams too. Pollard is better in coverage and is a vicious hitter who would bring attitude and swagger back to this unit at a much reasonable price than Harper’s absurd cap number.

3. Sign Victor Butler.
Why…
Landing Butler would give the Saints 3 very good young up and coming outside pass rushers in Galette, Butler and Wilson. I understand that some on here feel that Wilson would be better suited as an inside backer in Ryans new 34 scheme, I don’t disagree but the word is that the Saints covet him on the outside. Butler’s addition also allows the Saints to be more selective on draft day.

4. Sign Darius Heyward Bey.
Why…
I love Joe Morgan and I think he’ll be a great replacement for Devery Henderson but the Saints still need to find a big physical receiver with deep speed to replace what they lost in Robert Meachem. Bey (like Meacheam) isn’t a #1 or even a #2 receiver but placed in a scheme like the Saints that would utilize his strengths and Bey could be a steal this offseason for us.

5. Draft Alex Ogletree.
Why…
To simply put it… I feel he will be the best defensive PLAYMAKER still on the board when the Saints select at 15. Ogletree makes plays a lot of people simply can’t and plays the ILB position like a large safety. His range and instincts are off the charts and in my mind outside of the off the field issues he’s a top 10 talent.

WHODAT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Raves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact that Wilson can play both inside and outside, regardless of how the Saints see Wilson right now, makes signing Butler an even bigger move.

That means when it comes time to pick we aren't forced to draft ILB or OLB, but if one that is of value is there we can pick him up, it even makes a trade back more favorable for us due to that fact. By trading back we can get better value on a linebacker we might like but don't think is worth the #15 pick, and get more picks in the process. If the linebacker we wanted is gone, well that's fine we can keep Wilson outside and we still have 3 ILB with Lofton/Vilma/Hawthorne and 3 OLB for sure with Galette/Wilson/Bulter and can go BPA whether it's DB, OT, etc.

Just lots of options, and options are good.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed

FLOODx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still wondering why Strief wasn't cut in the first place. He's absolutely terrible. I'd love to have Vollmer and Brown as our T duo. Even if we draft a young guy that's ready to go if Brown gets hurt again. I'm all for it. I love the way Pollard plays the game, and I do agree he's better in coverage. The only way we can get rid of Harper's salary is by trading him, so this would be a good move as well. Pollard will likely come much cheaper than what we're paying Roman. I would like Butler signing for obvious reasons. Gives us more depth and flexibility. Although Heyward-Bey's hands have improved, they're still a little too suspect for me. If he came cheap enough I wouldn't be mad but he's not someone I really want to go after. You already know how I feel about Ogletree. If we're going to put Tez at OLB then 'Tree and Lofton would be a beastly duo on the inside.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely zero chance of getting all those guys. We barely have enough cap space for our rookies right now. Also, ew on Ogletree. He's definitely not worth of the 15th overall pick right now, I'd take an offensive player before I took Ogltree at 15.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Absolutely zero chance of getting all those guys. We barely have enough cap space for our rookies right now. Also, ew on Ogletree. He's definitely not worth of the 15th overall pick right now, I'd take an offensive player before I took Ogltree at 15.

Agreed on the current cap space, although I think were in better shape than you make it out to be. That's why I suggested with the Pollard and Vollmer signings that it would involve trading Harper and cutting Strief to free up cap space.

Unlikely I know but that's why I said "moves i'd like to see made".

I also understand some have a different outlook on Ogletree but I stand by how I feel about him. I think that 3 years from now he'll be considered one of the top 5 talents that came out of this draft.

Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Agreed on the current cap space, although I think were in better shape than you make it out to be. That's why I suggested with the Pollard and Vollmer signings that it would involve trading Harper and cutting Strief to free up cap space.

I also understand some have a different outlook on Ogletree but I stand by how I feel about him. I think that 3 years from now he'll be considered one of the top 5 talents that came out of this draft.

The issue is, who would trade for Harper and his contract? No one.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Honestly I think the only chance would be Tennessee but he'd have to agree to a restructured deal to make the move work... it's been done before but highly unlikely.

Harper41

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Honestly I think the only chance would be Tennessee but he'd have to agree to a restructured deal to make the move work... it's been done before but highly unlikely.

Harpers coming off his worst season as a pro, he has ZERO trade value. The chances of us trading him, are literally zero. Theirs not an NFL team that would have remotely any interest in him in a trade.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Harpers coming off his worst season as a pro, he has ZERO trade value. The chances of us trading him, are literally zero. Theirs not an NFL team that would have remotely any interest in him in a trade.

Except maybe one that is taking advice from Greg Williams... Wink

Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Except maybe one that is taking advice from Greg Williams... Wink

I REALLY don't think GW wants ANYTHING to do with some of our former players, and vice versa. After EVERYTHING that happened, I doubt any of them want to play for G-dub, and I'd imagine G-dub wants a fresh start with new players.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: