Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A penny saved is a penny earned!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: A penny saved is a penny earned! Reply with quote

It’s been frustrating, I know!

As free agency has gotten underway the Saints seem to have been stuck in neutral, maybe even reverse to some degree. While other teams in the NFC South seem to be getting better the Saints status quo remains the same. While a lot of fans may see this lack of action as a sign of trouble ahead, I tend to realize it for what it is… Smart business!

In all honesty… Every single free agent that has been signed thus far (with the exception of Andy Levitre) has been overpaid and in some cases, grossly overpaid! That is not smart business people. Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton know this as much as anyone in this business. We can all debate about the restructures of veterans Jonathan Vilma and Will Smith until the cows come home but in the end Loomis has gotten both players for another season at a grand total of 4million against the cap combined. Based on the fact that the Saints were set to lose more than that in dead money and that this team will still be a minimum of two years away from a full 34 conversion, that agreement was good business for the black and gold whether we want to acknowledge that or not.

The way the landscape of the NFL and free agency is set up these days, when you have a premier player at the quarterback position and a hefty investment in that player, the system is actually set up for you to annually lose other core players that will eventually end up with teams with cap space because they don’t have that premier quarterback. This is the balance that free agency creates and allows a competitive balance to remain among all 32 franchises and is a major reason why our sport is so popular. Last year it was Carl Nicks, Tracy Porter and Robert Meachem this year it was Jermon Bushrod and Chase Daniels. All with the exception of Nicks were solid players but not stars just simply quality role players and those are the pieces that will come and go as long as we have a 20 million per season quarterback on the roster.

Basically what the job is now for Loomis is patch work. Making sure to always make smart business decisions with the leftover budget that is available. Sure it would have been nice to see the Saints land players like Paul Kruger and Dashon Goldson but in the grand scheme of things it just simply wouldn’t be smart business for the way the money is currently allocated within this organization right now. Mickey will continue to earn his money and improve this roster the way he knows best. He’ll land a few key free agents in the second wave of free agency; he’ll get young prospects at value rates entering the prime of their careers who are looking for a chance to start while also landing a couple quality veterans who are willing to take less for a chance at winning.

So, cheer up whodatnation… it ain’t all dat bad!!!

We might not be wowing anyone in free agency now but I’ve never seen ANY franchise win a superbowl in March!

I just keep thinking back to what my grandpa always told me as a young cat… he’d say “BOY! A penny saved is a penny earned”, I think Loomis has mastered this thought process.

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be bad if the Saints don't get a good replacement for Bushrod in free agency. Sure...Bushrod was average...and was overpaid significantly by the Bears. But that is beside the point. The point is that the Saints need at least an average starting LT. Unfortunately...LTs come at a premier...even the average ones. Unless the Saints plan on trading up in the first round...and giving away yet another important draft pick...they need to find that average LT in free agency.

As for Chase Daniels...who cares? Sorry to be blunt...but who really cares? If Brees gets hurt...the Saints are screwed. That would have been the case if Daniels...me...you are the backup for the Saints. Use a late round draft pick on a QB and bring in a veteran QB to play for league minimum. Problem solved.

I completely agree with not signing either Bushrod or Daniels at those numbers...but the Saints could see a dropoff at LT and their offensive production unless they play this right.

I completely agree with the Smith and Vilma deals. It would have been tough to get comparable replacements for those numbers. I would love to see both players retire from the Saints after winning a Super Bowl this season. I am concerned that loyalty toward both players will cause Payton to influence Rob Ryan into starting them. I don't think that either player are more than rotational guys any more. Wilson and Hawthorne will likely be better at WILB and Cam Jordan is obviously better than Smith at WDE.
FLOODx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have faith Charles Brown can start at LT. Now, what worries me is his injuries. FS also worries me. No way in hell can Malcolm play center field and I don't see many FAs that can. Maybe Ed Reed, but at this point in his career it's questionable. I don't see anyone in the draft capable of doing so either.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: