Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Duke's Post Combine Pre Free Agency Bengals Only Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: The Duke's Post Combine Pre Free Agency Bengals Only Mock Reply with quote

The only caveat of FA I'll mention is I think we'll get Andre Smith resigned.

1) Kenny Vacarro, S, Texas
2a) DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
2b) Sio Moore, LB, UConn
3) Jonathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
4) Khaled Holmes, C, USC
5) Jon Bostic, MLB, Florida
6a) Jake Stoneburner, TE, Ohio State
6b) Matt Scott, QB, Arizona

I think Vacarro will make it to 21 after not showing elite athleticism at the combine (comparatively obviously) and will be able to slide right in on day one and play opposite Reggie Nelson to make a very good backend to the secondary. His size will put him in the box moreso than Nelson, but he can also play deep center or man up TE's when called upon.

Hopkins makes a lot of sense as a reliable number 2 to AJ Green can play on the outside and let Hawkins, Sanu, and Jones work the slots. He doesn't have elite change of direction skills or top end speed which allows him to fall to round two, but he has a solid vert, some of the best hands in the draft, and great route running skills. He'll move the chains and make the tough catches when needed while facing single coverage thanks to the attention Green requires. Reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin.

Sio Moore is exactly the kind of versatile and athletic LB that the Bengals love. Good in coverage he'll be the 3 down LB that never leaves the field. He can play all 3 LB spots, so he'll plat either WLB if we resign Maualuga, or SLB if we resign Thomas Howard. I do think the Bengals bring one of those guys back with Burfict moving to the middle.

BJGE is going to be the feature back the next two years, but he lack of a good change of pace really hurt the Bengals last year. I think Peerman may get another shot, but I think they see a guy like Franklin with good top end speed and change of direction skills to be another option as a game breaker and pass catcher out of the backfield. I like Franklin in this range with some upside to him.

Khaled Holmes was an all American as a junior and the oline at USC fell apart this year when he got hurt after looking good early. I think he can play G as we'll to give interior flexibility and provide depth at a weak area and maybe even win a starting job if Cook still doesn't look as good as he did pre-injury. Include Wharton returning and their should be some good competition for interior oline spots.

I don't think anyone is enamored of the idea of Dan Skuta as the primary backup to Burfict at MLB, and despite being a solid special teams contributor, he isn't irreplaceable there. Bostic is an elite athlete with some upside who I think could replace Skuta's special teams presence and be a more reliable backup in the middle.

Stoneburner is more of an upside and versatility pick who can be used in multiple ways. He has 4.5 speed, but he is raw as an inline blocker. Early I think he could be effectively used as a pass catching TE, H-Back, and create mismatches in multiple TE formations.

I used the last pick on a QB who likely ends up on the practice squad. Scott needs some refinement, but I like his upside as a future backup to Dalton. He has really good feet and plays a similar style to Dalton.

QB: Andy Dalton, Bruce Gradkowski
RB: Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Jonathan Franklin, Cedric Peerman, Chris Pressley
WR: AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohammed Sanu
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Andrew Hawkins, Ryan Whalen
TE: Jermaine Gresham, Orson Charles, Jake Stoneburner
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Travelle Wharton, Trevor Robinson
C: Kyle Cook, Khaled Holmes
RG: Kevin Zeitler, Clint Boling
RT: Andre Smith, Anthony Collins

LDE: Carlos Dunlap, Wallace Gilberry
NDT: Domata Peko, Pat Sims, Brandon Thompson
UDT: Geno Atkins, Devon Still
RDE: Michael Johnson, Robert Geathers
WLB: Sio Moore, Emmanuel Lemur
MLB: Vontaze Burfict, Jon Bostic
SLB: Rey Maualuga, Vincent Rey, Dontay Moch
CB: Leon Hall, Adam Jones, Chris Lewis-Harris
FS: Reggie Nelson, Jason Allen, Shaun Prater
SS: Kenny Vacarro, Jeromy Miles
CB: Terrence Newman, Dre Kirkpatrick

LS: Clark Harris
K: Mike Nugent
P: Kevin Huber

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Duke's Post Combine Pre Free Agency Bengals Only Moc Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
1) Kenny Vacarro, S, Texas
2a) DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
2b) Sio Moore, LB, UConn
3) Jonathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
4) Khaled Holmes, C, USC
5) Jon Bostic, MLB, Florida
6a) Jake Stoneburner, TE, Ohio State
6b) Matt Scott, QB, Arizona

Love it. Vaccaro starts from day 1. Hopkins starts by mid-season and rotates until them. I love Moore, but am now worried he won't last that long. Franklin is solid, but i like Ellington more. Either way, we have a second running back. Bostic is a future starter, so in this scenario, I'd resign Rey maualuga, leave Burfict at WLB, move Moore in at SLB, and develop Bostic for the future starting MLB spot. I don't think Stoneburner helps all that much, as Charles and Gresham can block better now, relegating to just another oversized WR role. Scott would be a great developmental project, but with his recent surge since the combine, might not last to the PS, so he might have to be the backup.
sparky151

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy with that.
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Scott won't last till the 6th

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:

When about do you think he will get picked?

ark23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be ecstatic if this was our draft. Nuk Hopkins isn't a great athlete, he isn't a huge guy but he understands the game well, has a good catch radius and is one of the most precise route runners in this draft class. Him on the outside with A.J. is perfect for Andy, Hopkins gives us an intermediate option in the pass game.

Sio Moore and Vaccaro are both versatile players who can play multiple positions and fill multiple roles on our roster at a high level. Great value.

Bostic and Franklin are good picks. I think Franklin will be a steal in this draft, good runner, underrated lower body strength, natural receiver. I'd love him with BJGE. And Matt Scott would be a steal. But I don't see him lasting that long. He's raw, only one year starter, doesn't always anticipate throws and lacks consistent decision making but he's a talented kid who has the potential to be a starter down the line.

Only two picks I'm not a big fan of are Stoneburner and Holmes. Holmes really doesn't have great functional strength, I'm not confident in him at the next level as a quality blocker at center, some of the bigger DT's will maul him. But he's probably not awful value. And Stoneburner is a great athlete but he doesn't have a true position. He was an inside WR for OSU last year, inconsistent with his hands, lots of concentration lapses and drops. I don't think he's got the functional strength to play in-line. But in the sixth he's worth a risk.

Overall a great draft.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any draft with Vaccaro is great with me. The rest is all good. Great job overall

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
BengalsEra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
Only two picks I'm not a big fan of are Stoneburner and Holmes.

Same here, but I can understand why you picked them though.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the Bengals drafting a C, or a receiving TE.

The rest I like a lot.
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
johndeere1707 wrote:

Someone will take him in the 3rd or 4th

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:
johndeere1707 wrote:

Someone will take him in the 3rd or 4th

Would you be opposed to us taking him in the 4th if he was still available? The more I see of him the more ideal of a backup he seems for Dalton and with a couple years grooming could possibly take over if we are unsatisfied with Dalton or net us a high draft pick in return.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: