Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rebuilding the Defense
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Delmas ever not been hurt?

I don't see signing him as an upgrade over anything if he only plays 8-10 games a season.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Sign Louis Delmas.

Draft a combination of John Simon, Corey Lemonier, Khaseem Greene, Arthur Brown, Kiko Alonso, Kevin Reddick, Bacarri Rambo in rounds 2 and 3.

Why sign Delmas if we have Rambo as well?

We won't have Delmas forever. Delmas could get hurt. We wouldn't have Rambo prior to signing Delmas. If Rambo is available at 96 he is the best player available.

I would just straight up go for Rambo though, but yeah I can definitely see your side of it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't really call this scenario a rebuild. It would be 1 position(FS) we'd be desperate to fill. 5 proven impact players in Ngata, Suggs, Webb, Ellerbe, and Pollard. Upshaw who will almost certainly be an impact player. Smith who has All-World potential. Cody, Jones/McPhee, and McClain who could be improved upon but not a terrible situation if their your 8th-10th best starters. I could think of much worse situations to be in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
^^ I think our whole fanbase might be too astounded by our offense's breakout to realize what really happened in the playoffs. Yes, our passing game was great and our rushing game was decent at times.

However, us winning the Super Bowl has just as much to do with the fact that we had the best defense in the playoffs, and I don't even think it's close/debatable.

We held the Colts to 9 points (lowest output in playoffs) and forced 2 turnovers.

We held a Peyton Manning led offense to 21 points in 5 quarter, forced 3 turnovers including a pick returned for a TD, a fumble that set up a TD drive, and a pick in OT that set up the GW FG.

We held a Pats offense that was one of the highest scoring ever to 13 points, 0 in the 2nd half, and forced 3 turnovers.

In the first half against the 49ers, we allowed 6 points and forced 2 turnovers. The second half we were bad. Allowed 23 points.

What defense played better? The 49ers could not stop the pass against the Falcons or us. The seahawks let Matt Ryan shred them for 3 quarters, and then again on the last drive; plus they may have lucked out a little with the RG3 injury. The Texans got steamrolled by the Pats. The Falcons defense collapsed twice in 2 total games. The Broncos and Pats got "Flacco'd". Am I missing anyone? I guess the Bengals didn't get exposed, but that's because they were out so quick.

Am I being a homer here, or is this as clear as it seems to me?

If you're going to credit our defense for the 1st half, you have to credit the 49ers for the 2nd half of the SB, where they only gave up 6 points (the kick return doesn't count against them there if you aren't counting the 2 we gave up in Denver).

Even if it was pretty even in that game, you wouldn't say the 49ers defense played better in the postseason overall would you (though, I'd put them 2nd)? I'm not taking any credit from the 49ers body of playoff work, just saying it wasn't as good as the Ravens'. They allowed more points in their other games and I'd rate the Patriots and Broncos offenses as slightly tougher than the Packers or Falcons were this year, and they got the benefit of one of those games at home off a bye. I don't want to say the Colts were easy, but that game is a bonus in this comparison.

Stepping up in the playoffs is something both the offense and defense did. As far as I'm concerned, we've yet to win a super bowl when we didn't have the best defense in the playoffs. I'd welcome any reasoning for why that claim isn't true.

I'm not sure why everyone is taking for granted that our offense was the better unit in the playoffs. It's close to even, but you could make a strong case for the defense. I guess people remember the most recent half the most vividly, but in our toughest game (Broncos) the defense was the stronger group. The offense had some off halves as well: like the first against the Patriots, and the second half/OT of the Broncos game. In the Broncos game the defense held on enough for the offense to get that miracle play at the end of regulation. That's similar to the offense maintaining the lead in the Super Bowl long enough for the defense making the goal line stand. Plus, we played a tougher offensive than defensive schedule overall.

The Flacco contract will always get the hype, but the key figure is $20 million/year. That's exceeded by any pair of Ngata/Suggs/Webb. So it's not a seismic shift in salary allocation between the sides of the ball.

Last edited by wackywabbit on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I wouldn't really call this scenario a rebuild. It would be 1 position(FS) we'd be desperate to fill. 5 proven impact players in Ngata, Suggs, Webb, Ellerbe, and Pollard. Upshaw who will almost certainly be an impact player. Smith who has All-World potential. Cody, Jones/McPhee, and McClain who could be improved upon but not a terrible situation if their your 8th-10th best starters. I could think of much worse situations to be in.

Yeah I was contemplating a different word for it but in the end I think "rebuild" gets the point across best. I guess you could use "retool" too but I think that implies making a run at multiple free agents (pretty much what the Eagles did a couple of years ago) and that's not what I think needs to or is going to happen. Certain aspects of the defense do need to be "rebuilt" with some of the losses the Ravens are going to have/have had.

I don't think that's a bad thing though. We've all seen the decline in some areas of the defense and this is the chance to add some significant young and athletic talent that has a chance to play right away. Even if Reed leaves I think the defense has more than enough leadership in Suggs, Ngata, Webb, and Pollard to accommodate some younger guys getting on the field as soon as possible.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright let's try this again. Ellerbe signing with Miami and Canty signing with Baltimore changes things a bit. I haven't seen anything about the EFA tenders so I'll still assume they're all re-signed. I'm leaving out the practice squad free agents that were signed to reserve/future deals.

DT: Ngata - Tyson - Hall
NT: Cody
DE: Jones - McPhee - Canty
RUSH: Suggs - Hamilton - McAdoo
WILL: Ayanbadejo
MIKE: McClain - Bynes
SAM: Upshaw - McClellan
CB: Webb - Smith - Graham - Brown - Jackson
FS: Thompson - Brown - Levine
SS: Pollard - Ihedigbo - Cook

I think DE is set. There's a lot of depth there and they're all versatile enough to play in both the 3-4 and 4-3 sets. The secondary looks fine to me. FS is the only question mark but it's looking like there's a good chance Reed will be back.

ILB, NT, and an edge-rusher are the main needs. ILB is obvious and even more so with Ellerbe signing in Miami. I'm coming around on NT being a semi-big need but I don't think this draft or free agent class is particularly appealing. Regardless the Ravens don't have any depth there so another on will likely be brought in. I don't want to gamble on Upshaw, Hamilton and/or McAdoo providing a meaningful boost to the pass-rush. Suggs will/should be better next season as he gets healthier but he can't do it by himself.

With those three positions in mind I would commit to ILB and a pass-rusher early in the draft. Signing a cheaper veteran at NT would round out my current version of rebuilding the defense. I know it's nothing ground-breaking but I think the core players are pretty much in place with Ngata, Suggs, and Webb. Adding some young and athletic talent to the front seven is most of what needs to be done in my opinion. I'm waiting until the dust settles to name any specific free agent targets.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depth chart is absolutely embarrassing lol especially at ILB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
That depth chart is absolutely embarrassing lol especially at ILB

Outside of the areas I hit on I'm not worried about the defense. As long as those needs are addressed of course. I've said it many times before but getting younger and more athletic, especially at ILB, would do wonders for that side of the ball. It's not a stretch to think that they can get an athletic upgrade over both Lewis (not hard) and Ellerbe.

Those are positions that can definitely be addressed in this upcoming draft too. Getting another defensive line value signing at NT combined with high picks at ILB and pass-rusher is more than feasible with the draft class this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: