Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agent ILBs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 20189
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
Even if Ellerbe is retained the Ravens are going to need help with the pass-rush. He's not good in coverage. I'm not sure where that notion came from.


mcdni wrote:

Exactly. Don't get me wrong. I like Ellerbe. I thought he was very good in the playoffs. I just don't think we pay him more than $4m ish per year.

Right player, right price. I believe Ellerbe is the wrong player at an $8m price.


Bingo. With Ellerbe likely commanding around $8m a year, I say we just go back to the Houston well this off-season and sign Bradie James to a cheap one or two year deal, draft a pass rusher in one of the first two rounds... or both (Margus Hunt, Chase Thomas Pray) , and take a guy like Gerald Hodges in the third. Then draft Shayne Skov next year.




Seriously? That's what we're resorting to?! Wow. Why don't we just scrap everything, release McClain and let Ellerbe go and just draft 2 rookie ILB's to take over with Josh "Future Stud" Bynes. It's gonna go great. Now we don't have any pass rush, don't have any ILB's with coverage abilities or really any kind of abilities that stand out other than making ST tackles, and who knows what we're going to get out of our run defense and secondary.

I like this plan so far. IF we are releasing Ellerbe we better damn well be bringing Paul Kruger back or someone who can drastically improve our pass rush.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BareYourTeeth


Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 995
Location: I'm a machine Jerk!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you bother to read the rest of my post? If you had, you would've seen that I suggested we address the pass rush through the draft taking, not only one but, two guys in the first two rounds. I then went on to suggest to use the third round of the draft to take Gerald Hodges, a guy with great coverage abilities, to address the ILB position.

Bradie James, a guy that started every game and was one of the main guys responsible for calling defensive audibles for the #7 ranked Houston Texans defense last year, would be able take over as the defensive signal caller. He's a guy who can bring leadership, a great veteran presence to the ILB core, and teach the young guys.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Why don't we just scrap everything, release McClain and let Ellerbe go and just draft 2 rookie ILB's to take over


I agree. Skov and Hodges>>>Ellerbe and McClain. Don't be surprised when 2014 rolls around, McClain is released and Ellerbe is signed to another team making $8m a year while the Ravens are setting pretty with a Houston-esque defense:

RDE: Haloti Ngata, Arthur Jones, DeAngelo Tyson
NT: Terrence Cody, Joe Vellano
LDE: Margus Hunt, Pernell McPhee
ROLB: Terrell Suggs, Chase Thomas, Adrian Hamilton
ILB: Shayne Skov, Josh Bynes
ILB: Gerald Hodges, Bradie James, Brendon Ayanbadejo
LOLB: Courtney Upshaw, Albert McCellan
LCB: Lardarius Webb, Corey Graham
FS: Ed Reed, Omar Brown, Christian Thompson
SS: Bernard Pollard, Shamarko Thomas
RCB: Jimmy Smith, Chykie Brown, Asa Jackson
_________________

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12970
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
BareYourTeeth wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
Even if Ellerbe is retained the Ravens are going to need help with the pass-rush. He's not good in coverage. I'm not sure where that notion came from.


mcdni wrote:

Exactly. Don't get me wrong. I like Ellerbe. I thought he was very good in the playoffs. I just don't think we pay him more than $4m ish per year.

Right player, right price. I believe Ellerbe is the wrong player at an $8m price.


Bingo. With Ellerbe likely commanding around $8m a year, I say we just go back to the Houston well this off-season and sign Bradie James to a cheap one or two year deal, draft a pass rusher in one of the first two rounds... or both (Margus Hunt, Chase Thomas Pray) , and take a guy like Gerald Hodges in the third. Then draft Shayne Skov next year.




Seriously? That's what we're resorting to?! Wow. Why don't we just scrap everything, release McClain and let Ellerbe go and just draft 2 rookie ILB's to take over with Josh "Future Stud" Bynes. It's gonna go great. Now we don't have any pass rush, don't have any ILB's with coverage abilities or really any kind of abilities that stand out other than making ST tackles, and who knows what we're going to get out of our run defense and secondary.

I like this plan so far. IF we are releasing Ellerbe we better damn well be bringing Paul Kruger back or someone who can drastically improve our pass rush.

Why do you keep stating that we're RELEASING Ellerbe... you just don't seem to get it. Ellerbe is no longer on this team. As in, a free agent. As in a player that is in limbo. There are rumors that he's asking for $7-10m and it's very possible that he gets it by some team. But he is most certainly NOT worth that kind of money. He is not worth the same amount as Terrell Suggs. And to even think that is pure ludicrous. Suggs was a better cover LBer, a much better pass rusher, was durable, and much more productive throughout his NFL career. Ellerbe is a one hit wonder in 2012 who also flashed some good play as a rookie. He's not durable. And his productivity hasn't been there except in years where he's looking to prove other people wrong (rookie- fell out of the draft; 2012- contract year). Excuse me if I'm not going to trust a player who hasn't been able to get it done consistently at a high level. I'll pass.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spiritoftruth


Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 2165
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ellerbe is being a bit underrated. He didn't suck for 4 years and then just look good for half of a season like Paul Kruger. Ellerbe played well just about every time he stepped onto the field since '09, he just ended up in Harbaugh's dog house somehow. And in passing situations, he's great at blitzing up the middle.

The injury issues are a concern though. And 7-10 million/year is too steep.
_________________

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12970
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritoftruth wrote:
I think Ellerbe is being a bit underrated. He didn't suck for 4 years and then just look good for half of a season like Paul Kruger. Ellerbe played well just about every time he stepped onto the field since '09, he just ended up in Harbaugh's dog house somehow. And in passing situations, he's great at blitzing up the middle.

The injury issues are a concern though. And 7-10 million/year is too steep.

And that's the point. Though I disagree with the point about calling him underrated. He was just signed for around $7m in FFMD so other fans know who he is and what he brings to the stage.

In terms of him looking good at every opportunity, that's mis-remembering. He looked pretty bad last year in 2011. Bad enough that many on this forum didn't want to bring him back as a RFA and just move on from him. Some of that could be due to injuries, but football is a tough spot to play... and Ellerbe has yet to even prove that he can play a full season at a high level, yet we should invest a significant amount of dollars on him?

The truth is that ILB is a lot like RB, it's a position where you can get some nice immediate contributions at if you draft correctly. A quality ILB can be making strides as early as a rookie... it's a position that is a lot about instincts. So Ellerbe while being a central figure on this team during the playoff stretch is probably the most easily replaced 'impact' player of our free agents simply because of the position that he plays. If we had a rookie Bobby Wagner, LaVonte David, or Mychal Kendricks as opposed to Ellerbe from last season... are we really missing that much? I don't think we are outside of potentially some sort of 'swagger' that being more experienced may bring to the equation. So with a class of ILBs that are similarly good to what came out last season, I don't see why adding a rookie to the equation for a potentially similar, but cheaper (in the short term) impact not the best approach to take.

If Ellerbe wants to be reasonable, let's bring him back. But if he's looking to get paid... we're not 'releasing' him... we're simply allowing him to move on. Both parties helped each other get what they want, he helped get us a Super Bowl... and winning that, helps him potentially get overpaid and overvalued in FA. Win-win.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 28880
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only a handful of 'irreplaceable' players on on any given team. On this team, Dannell Ellerbe is not one of them.

Of course I want him back, but this team didn't get where it is today by breaking the bank for the Dannell Ellerbe's of this league. The first rule of any negotation is that you can't be afraid to walk away from the negotiating table. In this case, we can't be afraid to say to Ellerbe's agent that 'X' amount is too much, and that we're prepared to go in a different direction.

If he's willing to take $4 or even $5 million, then we're probably in business. But if he's expecting us to match the $7 or $8 million a year offer he'll inevitably get from some crappy team, then he's gone. Hopefully we can work something out, but whatever good qualities Ellerbe has, at the end of the day he's not a franchise, reliably 'elite' player at his position and we'd be making a mistake to pay him as one.
_________________
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DontTazeMeBro


Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 25190
Location: 321
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bout Erin Henderson? He seems like a solid, affordable option.
_________________


Free Ray Rice
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aussie_raven77


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 341
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149428/article/dj-williams-released-by-denver-broncos

Thoughts?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 21449
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussie_raven77 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149428/article/dj-williams-released-by-denver-broncos

Thoughts?


No thanks. Old, suspensions, and costly. I'd rather run with Josh Bynes personally.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12970
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussie_raven77 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149428/article/dj-williams-released-by-denver-broncos

Thoughts?

This draft is stacked at ILB, honestly, I think we should basically be passing on any option that doesn't have the word "value" attached to it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group