Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Texans Personnel Manifesto / Mock Off-season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: 2013 Texans Personnel Manifesto / Mock Off-season Reply with quote

I was going to post this in another threat when I realized it didn't fit into the draft thread; cap thread; or free agency thread: it is a combo of all of those.

So I decided to create a new thread: 2013 Off-season (plus I saw AA did one back in late January) Very Happy

Mine is quite long, but should make for an interesting read. (C'mon we all know our beloved team ain't doing squat for free agency besides re-signing GQ and MAYBE Barwin or Casey).

First, explanation.
Second, I have the numbers (proud of me dsorc?? Very Happy)
Third, projected rosters for 2013, 2014, & 2015. 2014 & 2015 rosters have the core players who should be under contract - but excludes draft picks from 2014 & 2015.

Those involved in FFMD will recognize many of the potential future Texans.

Also, my apologies to AA - I think i scoffed when you had the team use 11 draft picks. After a closer look at CBA and value, you almost always want to use those draft picks now as they can really protect your cap space.

Anyway, the 2013 (+2014 & 2015) game plan

Positional Analysis

QB
Under contract: Matt Schaub; T.J. Yates (2015); Case Keenum (ERFA 2016); Stephen McGee (ERFA 2016)
Needs: Joe Montana & Eli Manning Playoff Tapes for Schaub; photocopy of Bill Belichick’s offensive playbook with several blank pages for Kubiak to add his own NEW plays
Texans’ Free Agents: None
Free Agency: meh
Draft: Geno Smith (1/2) (WVU); E.J. Manuel (FSU) (2/3); Matt Scott (Arizona) (3/4); Jordan Rodgers (VAND) (7/UDFA)
Notes: Manuel strikes me as a more athletic Schaub (he has really good accuracy – except it falls about 5% when he is blitzed). Also, when FSU played NIU: Manuel completed all nine of his passes off of play action for 104 yards in the Orange Bowl. It was his most attempts off of play action without an incompletion in his career. Manuel averaged 5.2 more yards per attempt when he used play action than when he did not, and he gained a first down on over half of his play-action passes. Does EJ sound like a Kubiak QB or what??? I am waiting to see what the Lewin Career Forecast 2.0 says about Manuel (most important factors: career starts & accuracy) (look here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/lewin-career-forecast-2013)
Also, good write-up here: http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/02/27/the-kaepernick-project-fsu-qb-e-j-manuel/

HB
Under contract: Arian Foster (2017); Ben Tate (2014)
Needs: complimentary back to Arian to keep his legs fresh for the playoffs; a homerun threat
Texans’ Free Agents: re-sign Justin Forsett
Free Agency: Mike Goodson (OAK)
Draft: Marcus Lattimore (SCar) (4/5); Christine Michael (A&M) (4/5); LeVeon Bell (MI St) (4/5); Knile Davis (ARK) (4/5); Cierre Wood (ND) (6/7); Matthew Tucker (TCU) (7 / UDFA); Mike James (MIA) (UDFA)

Notes: Goodson has played in ZBS & was effective in it last year with the Raiders; he has good YAC #’s for a RB; & he caught all of receiving targets in 2012 (16/16). (Not going to even mention the A&M angle). I believe we can sign Goodson to a small deal that is cap friendly. Plus, his addition makes Tate expendable.

Quote:
Part of a crowded backfield in Oakland last year, Mike Goodson is the kind of player who could come in and upgrade the backup running position, and provide a few big plays throughout the year. With two talented running backs ahead of him in Carolina at the start of his career, opportunities were hard to come by. However, taking advantage of his chance when he got it, due to Darren McFadden’s injury after being traded to Oakland, Goodson should have caught the attention of a few teams with his play.
As a receiver he saw just 16 passes thrown his way, however, thanks to two big plays against Miami and Atlanta, he finished the year with 195 yards receiving and five missed tackles forced while adding another 221 yards on the ground. That in itself might not seem impressive, but when you realize he did it on just 35 carries, and forced eight missed tackles on those 35 carries, his production stands out a little more. Those 13 missed tackles from his 41 offensive touches, to go along with an average of 4.89 Yards After Contact per carry, gave him an Elusive Rating of 124.5, the second-most of any running back with at least 40 offensive touches.

Re-signing Forsett keeps a homerun threat in the backfield. Anyone know why we got away from using Forsett and especially in the passing game? I know I didn’t seem him much in our last few games and I think we lost 4 of those 6. He wasn’t the cause, but he does bring a different element to our offensive attack.

Tate needs to go while we can get something for him. Package him with a pick to move up in the second or third round. I am thinking AZ, PIT, DET, GB, or ATL would be interested in Tate as a ZBS / power back.

FB
Under contract: Tyler Clutts (RFA 2015)
Needs: a true lead blocker on occasion
Texans’ Free Agents: I am hoping we re-sign James Casey (7 years, $27M, $5M SB over first 5 years, 1st 3 years guaranteed) or something along those lines. But the reality is that some team that has a ton of money is going to probably pry Casey away from the Texans
Draft: Kyle Juszczyk (HRV) (5 / 6); Braden Wilson (KSU) (7/UDFA);
Notes: Casey’s deal would really be a modest 5 year deal (2013: $1M; 2014: $1.5; 2015: $2M; 2016: $2.5; 2017: $3M; 2018: $5M; 2019: $7M). Casey wouldn’t see the money in 2018 or 2019, but the numbers help his agent feel better. The reality is that I think another team snags him with the promise of more playing time as THOR is no spring chicken.

I like Juszczyk out of Harvard because he is a former TE who brings some of the same elements as Casey. (Edit: reports out of Senior Bowl show that the guy had been excelling as a lead blocker!)

Quote:
Demonstrated the ability to play in a West Coast system as a fullback at the Senior Bowl. He gets to his assignments as a blocker, catches the football well and contributed on special teams. Excellent value pick on day 3 (4th-7th rounds).

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/170795-kyle-juszczyk-h-back-harvard-delanie-walkers-replacement/

Kyle Juszczyk from Harvard is an ideal H-back/fullback candidate. He has been impressive as a lead blocker on the inside run game and has decleated a number of linebackers in the run drills. He is a fine receiver out of the backfield or as a wing has been excellent all week. He has soft hands, runs good routes and is physical after the catch.

Juszczyk led the Ivy League with eight touchdown receptions and led a potent Harvard team with 52 catches for 706 yards (13.6 ypc). For his career, he set the mark for all Harvard tight ends with 125 catches (6th all-time) for 1,576 yards (7th all-time) and 22 touchdowns (3rd all-time).

Strengths: Good H-back/fullback candidate. Good lead blocker, with the ability to de-cleat defenders. Soft hands, runs solid routes and can pick up the tough yards after the catch.
Weaknesses: Level of competition concerns. Must display the versatility to be able to line up in the backfield and be an effective lead blocker in the hole against NFL linebackers.

WR
Under contract: Andre Johnson (2017); Kevin Walter (2015); Keshawn Martin (2016); DeVier Posey (2016); LeStar Jean (RFA 2015); Jeff Maehl (RFA 2016)
Needs: someone who can take a slant to the house; heir for Andre; possibly depth if KW is not retained
Free Agency: no money really, but…. Domenick Hixon [NYG]
Wide Receiver
(slant and go): Tavon Austin (WVU) (1); Markus Wheaton (OR ST) (2/3); Marquise Goodwin (UT) (2/3); Ryan Swope (TAMU) (2/3); Tavarres King (UGA) (4/5); Corey Fuller (VT) (5/6); Denard Robinson (MI) (4/5); Rashad Ross (ASU) (UDFA)
(future #1): Keenan Allen (CAL) (1/2); Cordarelle Patterson (TN) (1/2); Terrence Williams (BAY) (1/2); Robert Woods (USC) (1/2); DeAndre Hopkins (CLEM) (1/2); Quinton Patton (LATCH) (2/3); Chris Harper (KS St) (4/5); Aaron Mallette (Elon) (5/6); Marquess Wilson (WSU) (6/7); Marcus Davis (VT) (6/7); Rodney Smith (FSU) (6/7); Mark Harrison (Rutgers) (6/7)
(depth): Brandon Kaufman (EWa) (7 / UDFA); Kevin Norrell (SBk) (7/UDFA); Michael Rios (Marist) (7/UDFA)

Notes: Hixon caught over 65% of his targeted passes (with I believe an effective catch rate of 78% of passes that were catchable). He can also work on special teams (including as a return man) and has championship experience. Moreover, he has the ability to catch a slant pass and take it to the house. I would say to add a young wide receiver in this role, but we already have too many young guys on the squad (including Keyshawn Martin). Also, Hixon makes catches like this:

Before Hixon was drafted by DEN out of Akron:
Quote:
Domenik Hixon measured in at 6.024, 200, ran the 40 in 4.34, had a vertical of 38.5, did the short shuttle in 4.04, and the 3 Cone in 6.65 …In fact, Hixon started at free safety his first two years and moved to wide receiver when they were short on talent for Charlie Frye to throw to. He returns kicks and punts, can play defense, comes from a disciplined military family with a strong Christian faith.

Marcus Davis is a freak athlete – a la Andre Johnson. He has the tools to be our future #1 receiver. He needs some spit and polish (as well as some in-depth lessons in blocking), but watching AJ and getting a few reps this season as a #3 or #4 should help prepare him.

Kaufman looks to be the second coming of Kevin Walters. We probably can snag him as an UDFA. His productivity for a FCS player is unreal.

TE
Under contract: Owen Daniels (2014); Garrett Graham (2015); Jake Byrne (ERFA 2016); Philip Supernaw
Needs: a better blocker; end zone finder / target
Free Agency: no money really + meh
Draft: Travis Kelce (UC) (3/4); Dion Sims (MI St) (3/4); Vance McDonald (Rice) (3/4); Michael Williams (Bama) (5/6); Nick Kasa (CO) (5/6); Joseph Fauria (UCLA) 6/7)

Notes:
Quote:
Williams is a Giant-sized TE who appeared in more career games than any other player in Alabama Football history. A true on-the-line Y, he has the size to take up space as a run blocker and pass protector, while possessing good enough hands to catch the football when thrown to him vs. zone defenses. Had a 20-yard TD reception in the Senior Bowl.

T
Under contract: Duane Brown (2019); Derek Newton (2016); Nick Mondek (ERFA 2016)
Texans’ Free Agents: Rashad Butler (UFA); Ryan Harris (UFA)
Needs: quicker development of Derek Newton or a starting RT
Free Agency: Sebastian Vollmer (NE) = not enough money in the bank to sign him
Draft: Eric Fisher (CMU) (1); Lane Johnson (Oklahoma) (1); Terron Armstead (UAPB) (2/3); Menelik Watson (FSU) (2/3); David Quessenberry (SJSt) (4/5); Ricky Wagner (WI) (4/5); Reid Fragel (OH ST) (5/6)

Notes: Not sure about all the love Kubiak gives Newton. Sure he has played decently for a 7th round pick. However when your team has Super Bowl ambitions, you need more than adequate play. That being said, I do not expect the team to go in on a tackle early in the draft.

One player that stands out for me at tackle is Menelik Watson. Born in England. Came to U.S. to play basketball. Picked up football. Started for a top ranked team at RT because of his potential and skills. Let this guy work with our o-line coaches for a year or two and we could have a monster two-some on the outside. However, his showing at the combine has many worried about his long-term performance and preparation.

Read this: http://espn.go.com/colleges/fsu/football/story/_/id/8399858/menelik-watson-endured-strange-journey-florida-state-seminoles

Quessenberry has the ability & tools to succeed in a ZBS – especially looking at his arm length, mobility, and frame to add weight.

G
Under contract: Wade Smith (2015); Brandon Brooks (2016); Cody White (RFA 2016)
Needs: depth
Texans’ Free Agents: Andrew Gardner (RFA); Antoine Caldwell (UFA)
Free Agency: Not enough money and meh
Draft: Jonathan Cooper (UNC) (1/2);Dallas Thomas (TENN) (2/3); Jeff Baca (UCLA) (5/6); Earl Watford (JMU) (5/6); Braxton Cave (ND) (5/6)

Notes: Wade ain’t getting any younger, but let’s hope he is getting healthier. Some depth at the position would be nice. Brooks looks to be off to a promising start as a future RG.

C
Under contract: Chris Myers (2016); Ben Jones (2016)
Needs: meh
Free Agency: Meh
Draft: Brian Schwenke (CAL) (4/5)

Notes: Schwenke looks to be ideally built for the interior of a ZBS line. Plus, he has incredible mobility for a man of his size. He would aid in our third & short / goal line packages for now. Moreover, he protects against the loss of someone to injury as well as expiration of Wade’s contract.

DE
Under contract: J.J. Watt (2015); Antonio Smith (2014); Jared Crick (2017); Tim Jamison (2015); David Hunter (RFA 2016); Keith Browner (ERFA 2016)
Needs: meh
Draft: None

Notes: I think we are pretty set at DE. Depending on his amenability to giving a “hometown discount”, the Texans could be looking to restructure Antonio’s contract to add 2 or 3 years to it. But if we REALLY need that money for J.J.’s extension, there appears to be solid depth at the position.

One player who is attractive in the later rounds or as an UDFA:

Quote:
Glenn Foster, DL (6-foot-3 5/8, 286 pounds) — Foster ran the 40-yard dash in 4.82 and 4.79 seconds, had a 4.45-second short shuttle and a 7.15-second three-cone drill. He recorded a 39 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-9 broad jump. He also had 29 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press. Foster was not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine. Foster had a fantastic workout, and he would have been the top performer in his position group at the combine in thevertical jump and broad jump.

Foster has great explosion, but not the production – but it looks like the Iliini were playing him out of position. His numbers compare favorably with Watt’s – except Foster would have MUCH better explosion, but WAY less productivity.

DT / NT
Under contract: Earl Mitchell (2015); Ra’Shon Harris (2014); Terrell McClain (RFA 2015)
Needs: run-stopper / penetrator
Texans’ Free Agents: Shaun Cody
Free Agency: Vaughn Martin (SD); Steve McLendon (RFA – PIT)
Draft: Star Lotulelei (Utah) (1); Johnathan Jenkins (UGA) (1/2); Kawaan Short (PUR) (1/2); Brandon Williams (MO Sthrn) (2/3); A.J. Francis (MD) (6/7)

Notes: When we look at Houston’s interior defensive line play, we are left with a quandary. The key thing Wade Phillips seems to want is players who can penetrate into the backfield so as to disrupt the play. This has worked for us on occasion. However, too many times our players got penetration and because of their size, were either blocked out of the action or unable to complete the play. It enabled a pocket to be created that allowed opposing QB’s the time to complete a pass or run up the gut for daylight. Every team wants a DT / NT who can clog lanes and / or penetrate into the backfield to disrupt plays. However, it inevitably seems that those two qualities are inverse. That being said, our NT / DT will likely only be on the field (ideally) for the first two plays of any drive. So we need someone who has the ability to stop the run so we can use our nickel defense on third down.

I think Vaughn Martin – free agent from SD – could be that penetrator / run stopper for our D. I have been an advocate for Martin since he came out of college. I think he has the tools to be successful in our defense. The Chargers had him drop 40 – 50 lbs and tried to play him purely at DE. That so far has appeared to be a huge mistake. I think we can sign him to a cheap deal, let him put the weight back on, and he can be that run-stopper / penetrator that we need on 1st and 2nd downs to clog lanes and / or get penetration into the backfield.

Also, the Steelers decided to undervalue Steve McLendon, their heir apparent to Casey Hampton.

I think he has the potential to be a starting NT in our system. He has been highly effective when given the opportunity in Pittsburgh. He is disruptive, a backfield penetrator that will require 2 blockers and free up Watt to finally break the sacks record. Wink Pittsburgh likes their NT to normally tie up blockers to free their LB's to make plays. We use our defensive linemen to get penetration and disrupt plays. He is a pocket collapser. Cool

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_a_case_for_steve_mclendon_to_start_in_2013/12684667

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5684/steve-mclendon

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/1/27/3920964/steelers-2013-draft-depth-chart-defensive-line-nose-tackle-ziggy-hood-steve-mclendon

OLB / DE
Under contract: Brooks Reed (2016); Whitney Mercilus (2017); Bryan Braman (2015 RFA); Delano Johnson (2014)
Needs: depth
Texans’ Free Agents: Conner Barwin; Jesse Nading
Free Agency: meh (maybe Anthony Spencer would be appealing, but price wise we probably won’t be able to afford him); Jameson Konz (SEA)
Draft: Jamie Collins (S Mississippi) (2/3); Devin Taylor (SCar) (4/5); Cornelius Washington (UGA) (4/5); David Bass (MO Wstrn) (4/5); Quanterus Smith (WKY) (6/7); Travis Johnson (SDSt) (6/7); Marquis Jackson (PORST) (7/UDFA)

Notes: We will probably have to let Barwin go. First, many teams are switching to a 3 – 4 alignment. Second, you always need a good pass-rushing OLB / DE in a 3 – 4 alignment. Third, despite his lack of production last year, some team is going to throw money at Barwin that we will not be able to match.

There are a few potential OLB / DE prospects that are intriguing in this draft. I want to wait until after the combine (for pretty much all players) to really think of a favorite. But Quanterus Smith’s performance against Alabama’s NFL-caliber offensive line has me interested (too bad he suffered that major injury).

Post-Combine: First, Jamie Collins blew my socks off during combine. Then I looked at his production and the guy looks as legit as you can get. I think he went under the radar because his team was HORRIBLE.

Konz has been injury prone during his time with Seattle. Yet, he still offers an intriguing skill set and could be a demon on special teams as well as OLB / DE. He showed the ability to rush the passer really well in Seattle.

ILB
Under contract: Brian Cushing (2015); Darryl Sharpton (2015); Mister Alexander (ERFA 2015); Cameron Collins (ERFA 2016); Mike Mohamed (2014)
Needs: depth; possibly a starter; someone who can cover a TE
Texans’ Free Agents: Tim Dobbins; Bradie James; Keyaron Fox; Barrett Ruud
Free Agency: Cannot really afford anyone – but Brad Jones (GB) would be awesome get
Draft: Sio Moore (UConn) (2); Zavier Gooden (Mizzou) (2/3); Gerald Hodges (PSU) (4/5); Johnathan Bostic (UF) (4/5); Keith Pough (HWD) (4/5); DeVonte Holloman (SCar) (5/6); Kenny Tate (MD) (5 / 6); Nick Moody (FSU) (7/UDFA); David Nwabuisi (NWn) (UDFA); Bill Ross (UAPB) (UDFA); Vince Williams (FSU) (7 / UDFA)

Notes: Definitely need to draft an ILB in this draft – especially someone who can cover. I like Devonte Holleman out of South Carolina. He played a hybrid role for South Carolina – with the speed to cover, but the size of a linebacker.

The player that I think we will end up (should be) drafting is Sio Moore. He played outside for them and has WLB abilities (play in space, blitz on occasion, stay with TEs, etc.).

I also support bringing back Tim Dobbins (D-BO!). His hits in the run game help set the tone for the run defense. He usually seemed to be in the right place to get a key stop on running plays. Plus, he plays special teams. Just do not have that man on the field for 3rd and longs.

CB
Under contract: Jonathan Joseph (2016); Kareem Jackson (Team Option 2015); Brandon Harris (2015); Rashad “Roc” Carmichael (2015)
Needs: veteran depth / experience
Texans’ Free Agents: Alan Ball; Brice McCain; Stanford Routt
Free Agency: Terence Newman (CIN) (veteran minimum) – would be nice, but I think Bengals pay him more than vet minimum
Draft: Xavier Rhodes (FSU) (1); Desmond Trufant (WSH) (1); Robert Alford (SE LA) (3/4); Dwayne Gratz (UConn) (4/5); B.W. Webb (W&M) (4/5); Tyrann Mathieu (LSU) (5/6); Micah Hyde (Iowa) (5/6); D.J. Hayden (Houston) (7/UDFA)

Notes: Secondary needs some help from the pass rush (besides J.J. Watt). A vet who can help with nickel / dime coverage would be a nice addition. Routt didn’t get much of a shot to show what he could do last season. He has the tools, but hasn’t really put them together lately – especially during his time in Kansas City.

S
Under contract: Danieal Manning (2015); Shiloh Keo (2015); Eddie Pleasant (ERFA 2015)
Needs: better coverage in nickel / dime settings; depth
Texans’ Free Agents: re-sign Glover Quin; Quintin Demps
Free Agency: David Bruton (DEN) [re-signed with DEN]
Draft: Shamarko Thomas (Cuse) (2/3); Earl Wolff (NC State) (4/5); Cooper Taylor (RICH) (7/UDFA)

Notes: We need an athletic, deep coverage safety to stop the big play. David Bruton can be that guy. He has the measurables and experience to help stop the big play. Moreover, he can contribute on special teams and SHOULD be a cost-effective addition.

I don’t think he played much in Denver because of he was previous regime’s guy, but he has the tools. [Nevermind]

So Earl Wolff it is!
Quote:
Solidly built defender able to make plays against the run and pass. Physical tackler coming downhill to attack ballcarriers, not afraid to bring intensity to the stop. Diagnoses and attacks. Breaks down quickly and wraps up the legs of receivers effectively to bring them down quickly after the catch. Uses relentless hustle to reach plays, even if on the opposite sideline. Flashes quickness to move from two-deep to a single-high look after the snap, as well as pick up vertical routes and stay with receivers in deep coverage. Displays sound footwork and technique in coverage. Aware zone defender who watches the quarterback and keeps an eye out for targets in his area. Has physical nature and athleticism to contribute on special teams immediately.

Quote:
STRENGTHS: Possesses lean, muscular frame with long arms. Displays good play recognition, and nice initial straight-ahead burst. Takes sound angles to the outside against the run, and really uses his length well to close space and make the tackle. Wraps up nicely, and routinely approaches his target low. Exhibits a fluid backpedal and flips the hips with good timing in transition.
Displays good awareness in zone coverage and does a good job of reading and reacting to the quarterback's eyes. Gets up to speed quickly when asked to plant and drive forward from a backpedal. Looks natural and instinctive when he's playing up in the box, and defending the run. Positions himself well for gap coverage as a run defender, and exhibits patience to allow the play to develop when closing from deep.
COMPARES TO: Deon Grant, Safety, Retired - a guy with instincts, toughness and athleticism... [Grant] made an 11-year career for himself as a strong run defender that didn't make a lot of mistakes in coverage. Wolff has a chance to be a similar player, and should upgrade a special teams unit immediately with his downhill, physical style.

Special Teams
Under contract: K Randy Bullock (2016); LS Jon Weeks (2016)
Needs: punter
Texans’ Free Agents: K Shayne Graham; P Donnie Jones
Free Agency: Shane Lechler (OAK)
Draft: Ryan Allen (LATch) (7/UDFA); Jeff Locke (UCLA) (7/UDFA)

Notes: Donnie Jones did a decent job last season, but we need a permanent replacement. So drafting a young stud punter would (1) save us money and (2) (hopefully) give us better consistency. Allen is one of two 2X Ray Guy winners (the other being Daniel Sepulvada). Locke is not a bad punter, plus offers the ability to handle kickoffs as well.

Lechler is really appealing as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if fellow Aggie Kubiak doesn’t at least invite him to town for a beer and some barbeque. Wink

Numbers
Current cap space: about $6.2M
(1) Restructure WR Andre Johnson – free up $7.17M (this is probably one of the last years that it makes sense to restructure his deal)
(2) Restructure CB Jonathan Joseph – free up $4.27M
(3) Restructure HB Arian Foster – free up $3.38M
(4) Waive WR Kevin Walter – free up $3.5M
(5) Re-sign S Glover Quin (6 years, $34M, $9M SB, $16M guaranteed) (if his play falls off, can cut in 2016 and the hit is not so bad)
- 2013: $1.5M base + $1.5M SB = $3M cap hit (fully guaranteed)
- 2014: $2M base + $1.5M SB = $3.5M cap hit (fully guaranteed)
- 2015: $3.5M base + $1.5M SB = $5M cap hit (fully guaranteed)
- 2016: $4.5M base + $1.5M SB = $6M cap hit
- 2017: $5.5M base + $1.5M SB = $7M cap hit
- 2018: $8M base + $1.5M SB = $9.5M cap hit
(6) Sign RFA NT Steve McLendon (PIT) (3 years, $11M, $3M SB) (just enough to prevent Steelers from matching)
- 2013: $1M base + $1M SB + $2M roster bonus = $4M cap hit
- 2014: $1.5M base + $1M SB = $2.5M cap hit
- 2015: $2.5M base + $1M SB + $1M roster bonus = $4.5M cap hit
(7) Sign HB Mike Goodson (OAK) (3 years, $7.6M, $1.8M SB)
- 2013: $715K base + $600K SB = $1.315M cap hit
- 2014: $1M base + $600K SB = $1.6M cap hit
- 2015: $2M base + $600K SB + $2M roster bonus = $4.6M cap hit
(8 ) Sign WR Domenik Hixon (NYG) (2 years, $4.1M, $500K SB) (has a chance to be #2 WR, but in NYC he would only be #4)
- 2013: $840K base + $250K SB = $1.09M cap hit
- 2014: $1M base + $250K SB + $1.75M roster bonus = $3M cap hit
(9) Re-sign RB Justin Forsett (3 years, $7.6M, $1.8M SB
- 2013: $715K base + $600K SB = $1.315M cap hit
- 2014: $1M base + $600K SB = $1.6M cap hit
- 2015: $2M base + $600K SB + $2M roster bonus = $4.6M cap hit
(10) Sign NT Vaughn Martin (SD) (5 years, $17.215M, $1.5M SB) (read above)
- 2013: $715K base + $500K SB = $1.215M cap hit
- 2014: $1M base + $500K SB = $1.5M cap hit
- 2015: $2M base + $500K SB + $1M roster bonus = $3.5M cap hit
- 2016: $3M base + $2M roster bonus = $5M cap hit
- 2017: $4M base + $2M roster bonus = $6M cap hit
(11) Re-sign CB Stanford Routt (1 year – veteran minimum)
(12) Re-sign ILB Tim Dobbins (HOU) (1 year, $840K + $260K SB = $1.1M cap hit)
(13) Extend ILB Brian Cushing (6 years, $67M, $29M guaranteed, $18M SB) (would sign now, but not kick in until 2014 season)
- 2014: $5M base + $3M SB = $8M cap hit (fully guaranteed)
- 2015: $6M base + $3M SB = $9M cap hit (fully guaranteed)
- 2016: $7M base + $3M SB = $10M cap hit
- 2017: $9M base + $3M SB = $12M cap hit
- 2018: $10M base + $3M SB = $13M cap hit
- 2019: $12M base +$3M SB = $15M cap hit
(14) Sign OLB / DE / ST Jameson Konz (SEA) (3 years – all minimum amounts)

2013 Draft
Presuming we get four comp picks (3, 5, 6, 6)
Trade 1-27 to a team looking to get back into 1st round for a QB or TE (like MIA, BUF, or MN) for 2nd & 3rd
Trade Tate + 3rd to get back into 2nd round + 5th (GB, PIT)

2 OLB / DE Jamie Collins (S. Miss.) (back-up / starter)
2 ILB Sio Moore (UConn) (back-up / starter)
2 QB EJ Manuel (FSU) (back-up)
3 (com) T / G David Quessenberry (San Jose State) (back-up)
4 G / C Brian Schwenke (Cal) (back-up / starter)
5 S Earl Wolff (NC State) (back-up)
5 (comp) HB Marcus Lattimore (South Carolina) (IR)
5 TE Michael Williams (Bama) (back-up)
6 FB / TE Kyle Jusczcyk (Harvard) (starter)
6 (comp) WR Marcus Davis (Virginia Tech) (back-up)
6 (comp) P Ryan Allen (LA Tech) (starter)

Rosters 2013 - 2015
2013 roster
QB Matt Schuab // E.J. Manuel (2) // T.J. Yates // Case Keenum (PS)
HB Arian Foster // Mike Goodson // Justin Forsett // Marcus Lattimore (5) (IR)
FB Kyle Jusczcyk (6)
WR1 Andre Johnson // Marcus Davis (6) // LeStar Jean // DeVier Posey (IR)
WR2 Domenik Hixon // Keshawn Martin // Brandon Kaufmann (PS)
TE Owen Daniels // Garrett Graham // Michael Williams (5)
LT Duane Brown // Nick Mondek // Vinston Painter (PS)
LG Wade Smith // Brian Schwenke (4)
C Chris Myers // Ben Jones
RG Brandon Brooks
RT Derek Newton // David Quessenberry (3)

LE J.J. Watt // Jared Crick // Glenn Foster (PS)
NT Vaughn Martin // Steve McLendon // Earl Mitchell
RE Antonio Smith // Tim Jamison // David Hunter (PS)
SOLB Jamie Collins (2) // Whitney Mercilus // Jameson Konz
SILB Brian Cushing // Sio Moore (2) // Tim Dobbins // Vince Williams (PS)
WILB Darryl Sharpton // Mister Alexander // Cooper Taylor (PS)
WOLB Brooks Reed // Bryan Braman
LCB Johnathan Joseph // Stanford Routt // Roc Carmichael
RCB Kareem Jackson // Brandon Harris // D.J. Hayden (PS)
S Glover Quin // Earl Wolff (5)
S Daniael Manning // Eddie Pleasant

K Randy Bullock P Ryan Allen (6) LS Jon Weeks

QB Matt Schuab // E.J. Manuel // T.J. Yates
HB Arian Foster // Mike Goodson // Justin Forsett // Marcus Lattimore
FB Kyle Jusczcyk
WR1 Andre Johnson // Marcus Davis // DeVier Posey // LeStar Jean
WR2 Domenik Hixon // Keshawn Martin // Brandon Kaufmann
TE Owen Daniels // Michael Williams
LT Duane Brown // Nick Mondek // Vinston Painter
LG Brian Schwenke
RG Brandon Brooks
RT Derek Newton // David Quessenberry

LE J.J. Watt // Glenn Foster
NT Vaughn Martin // Steve McLendon
RE Jared Crick // Tim Jamison // David Hunter
SOLB Jamie Collins // Whitney Mercilus
SILB Brian Cushing // Vince Williams
WILB Sio Moore // Cooper Taylor
WOLB Brooks Reed // Jameson Konz
LCB Johnathan Joseph // Roc Carmichael
RCB Kareem Jackson // Brandon Harris
S Glover Quin // Earl Wolff
S Daniael Manning // Eddie Pleasant

K Randy Bullock P Ryan Allen LS Jon Weeks

QB Matt Schuab // E.J. Manuel
HB Arian Foster // Marcus Lattimore
FB Kyle Jusczcyk
WR1 Andre Johnson // Marcus Davis // DeVier Posey
WR2 Keshawn Martin // Brandon Kaufmann
TE Michael Williams
LT Duane Brown // Nick Mondek
LG Brian Schwenke
RG Brandon Brooks
RT David Quessenberry // Vinston Painter

LE J.J. Watt // Glenn Foster
NT Vaughn Martin // Steve McLendon
RE Jared Crick
SOLB Jamie Collins
SILB Brian Cushing // Vince Williams
WILB Sio Moore // Cooper Taylor
WOLB Whitney Mercilus // Jameson Konz
LCB Johnathan Joseph
RCB ???
S Glover Quin
S Earl Wolff

K Randy Bullock P Ryan Allen LS Jon Weeks
Very Happy

I know I am going to get the obligatory "Did Not Read", but thanks in advance for those that do. Also, thanks in advance for input / thoughts!

Last edited by jch1911 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that took a lot of time and energy lol

i was a little lost looking over your draft because you didnt include first names, schools or even positions, but it seems to be a solid off season
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one other thought/question when do teams usually restructure contracts? Is it something they wouldnt have started yet or is it something they would have already done?
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
wow, that took a lot of time and energy lol

i was a little lost looking over your draft because you didnt include first names, schools or even positions, but it seems to be a solid off season

They are in the analysis part - but I could change that easily (and I will).
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
one other thought/question when do teams usually restructure contracts? Is it something they wouldnt have started yet or is it something they would have already done?

You start discussing with the players & agents in early Feb. then through the draft.

You may have noticed teams announcing their moves over the past few weeks. The Texans probably have already done most of their negotiations.

Other than AJ's restructure above, I could see the Texan's making the same moves by shifting some money around in Foster and JJo's contracts in order to re-sign GQ.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

You start discussing with the players & agents in early Feb. then through the draft.

You may have noticed teams announcing their moves over the past few weeks. The Texans probably have already done most of their negotiations.

Other than AJ's restructure above, I could see the Texan's making the same moves by shifting some money around in Foster and JJo's contracts in order to re-sign GQ.

All these teams announcing restructurings and cuts are doing so to get under the cap by tomorrow. Teams that are under the cap will announce restructures later once FA signings start

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
38 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
dsorc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:

Usually you won't see teams restructure until they absolutely have to since it places an additional burden on future years. A couple of teams did it recently because they had to be under the cap before tomorrow. For most other teams, you will probably see the restructure reported right after or right before signing somebody. Essentially, the restructure would be used to generate cap room on the fly as a last resort.

I'll add more comments on the offseaon later once I have had time to digest all of the pieces but overall I like it. I specially like the pick of Sio Moore who I think would beat out Sharpton for the #2 ILB job.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: