Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Derrick Newton Injury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Derrick Newton Injury Reply with quote

Pancakes dropped a bomb on on us fans this week mentioning "major" knee surgery for our starting RT D.Newton

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=10699

I want the Texans to comment on this damnit!

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
11 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 2 ff
mse326

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Derrick Newton Injury Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Pancakes dropped a bomb on on us fans this week mentioning "major" knee surgery for our starting RT D.Newton

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=10699

I want the Texans to comment on this damnit!

Kind of wish he kept his mouth shut.

While many outsiders and fans have said RT is a need the team has stood by Newton. It may have been a screen so we can get a RT in the draft. Revealing this info makes that much tougher.

For all the crap he spews for this team, you would have thought he would keep this quiet.

#JDI
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring butler and Harris back and we wont lose much

2014 Adopt-A-Texan
Andre Johnson
6 catches 93 yards
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really sucks as I think Newton played pretty well considering the circumstances last year and I really had high hopes for him next season. We have to consider the source though. What does McClain mean by major surgery, total reconstruction of the knee, or a simple scoping and clean out? I wish we had more info..
texans_uk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:

Great we'll go from average, to below average, fantastic!

Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

its not like Newton was some awesome tackle

2014 Adopt-A-Texan
Andre Johnson
6 catches 93 yards
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

He wasn't great last season, but when you consider he was a 7th round draft pick playing in what was essentially his rookie year, in his actual rookie year he only had 17 snaps in the entire season, and playing next to a rotating RG situation that had no stability filled with rookies that couldn't help him, he wasn't that bad. He only gave up 3 sacks in pass protection. His run blocking leaves a bit to be desired and he's got obvious room to grow there. He's got potential at the RT position if folks will just cut the guy a break.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

He wasn't great last season, but when you consider he was a 7th round draft pick playing in what was essentially his rookie year, in his actual rookie year he only had 17 snaps in the entire season, and playing next to a rotating RG situation that had no stability filled with rookies that couldn't help him, he wasn't that bad. He only gave up 3 sacks in pass protection. His run blocking leaves a bit to be desired and he's got obvious room to grow there. He's got potential at the RT position if folks will just cut the guy a break.

Well said. everyone was ready to throw brown to the curb after a couple of seasons. A lot of guys have no patience. He will get better and there is no way gary will just scrap him. Now RG is another story due to health alone.....I still think they will add a little depth and thats it to the oline, our starts will remain the same as we ended last season.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

Well said. everyone was ready to throw brown to the curb after a couple of seasons. A lot of guys have no patience. He will get better and there is no way gary will just scrap him. Now RG is another story due to health alone.....I still think they will add a little depth and thats it to the oline, our starts will remain the same as we ended last season.

I agree that Derek Newton is a valuable player for us right now, but I disagree that he'll be starting next year. Last offseason he beat out career journeyman Rashad Butler for the starting job. That shouldn't buy him more than 1 season starting. He, along with the rotation at RG, were the obvious weaknesses of our line. I think we've got to shore up the RT spot in round 2-4, and Newton should have to beat that guy out.

LORK88
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

i like newton, and i think he has potential, but he was still the weak link on our offensive line last season

im interested in bringing back winston if he will come cheap

2014 Adopt-A-Texan
Andre Johnson
6 catches 93 yards
texansfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

i like newton, and i think he has potential, but he was still the weak link on our offensive line last season

+1

Winston wasn't a bad player for us, he was just too expensive to keep. Maybe he would be willing to come back for us.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texansfan wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

+1

Winston wasn't a bad player for us, he was just too expensive to keep. Maybe he would be willing to come back for us.

Winston leaving wasn't all about money, let's remember that he has short arms and slow feet and he had alot of trouble with speed rushers. Here's some stats that I posted once before but will do so again. I used Winstons 2011 stats when he was a Texan, in our system, with our players, and coaching staff. I know these stats don't show anything about the running game and freely admit Newton isn't as good their, but very few players are great their first year on the field. Winston will most likely be quite expensive as well.

Quote:
Winston in 2011 had 7 penalties for 54 yds., and 7.5 sacks as a 6 yr. vet playing next to Brisiel, another veteran player.

Newton in 2012 had 7 penalties for 41 yds., and 4 sacks as an essential rookie playing next to another rookie.
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
Winston in 2011 had 7 penalties for 54 yds., and 7.5 sacks as a 6 yr. vet playing next to Brisiel, another veteran player.

Newton in 2012 had 7 penalties for 41 yds., and 4 sacks as an essential rookie playing next to another rookie.

First, put me in the Eric Winston if cheap category.

Second, IIRC Newton split duties with Ryan Harris = less opportunities for penalties, sacks, etc. Also IIRC I thought that Harris played primarily on passing downs / plays

Third, IIRC some of Winston's penalties were for being "our offensive pitbull" (i.e. you take a late shot at my QB or RB and I'm going to try to put your facemask in your throat).

Not trying to mitigate anything Newton has done, but put it into context.

That being said, it doesn't look like Eric's coming back here (Miami has the money. the opportunity, he played college ball at UM, and Sherman is the OC). I would still like some competition for Newton b/c I am not completely sold... yet. (Edit: not to take anything away from a 7th round pick from the Sun Belt conference who ended his first season on IR and still managed to play better than 40%ish of other NFL RT's in his second season)
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

houstontexans.com has a story stating Newton will not participate in any off-season activities until training camp.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
11 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 2 ff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: