Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dunta Robinson to Chiefs 3 year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Cutler06


Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Posts: 10203
Location: Westminster
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another move with undertones of desperation. Giving Robinson "starter's money" for a guy who looks to be passing his best days. Rather than waiting on FA to begin and compete, take the quick fix regardless of superior talent available. I wonder how much of his visit to the Broncos pushed the salary offer into starter money range ? heard the Broncos had the last chance w/ Robinson, but the money wasn't right, so he must have gotten a heck of an offer from KC

What I do like about this deal is it takes one less competitor for a CB out of the mix for higher quality talent.
_________________


Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonwayne


Joined: 11 Sep 2011
Posts: 14731
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
Another move with undertones of desperation.


Lol no. Just a stop gap signing. Just because a team coming off a 2-14 record does it doesn't mean it's an act of desperation.

We likely didn't have enough cap room to go after guys like Sean Smith or Cary Williams who both want around 8M a year. Maybe we could have signed one of them (doubt it) but that would leave us with little to no room to sign anyone else. Had we waited until the free agency period started, there would be the chance of ending up with no one to put across from Flowers.

Now I want to see what we are going to do about our need at the ILB position next to DJ. Easily our biggest need now.
_________________
Sigbet with El Ramster; OKC wins title = I win. IND wins title = he wins.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DT58_lives_on


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 5789
Location: St. Cloud, MN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But had the Broncos signed him it would have been a great move to solidify their defense I'm sure.
_________________
[image]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/jesse_fritsch1/DEEFORD2_zpsef1ad50c.jpg[image]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Diesel2692


Joined: 15 Mar 2009
Posts: 2653
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
Another move with undertones of desperation. Giving Robinson "starter's money" for a guy who looks to be passing his best days. Rather than waiting on FA to begin and compete, take the quick fix regardless of superior talent available. I wonder how much of his visit to the Broncos pushed the salary offer into starter money range ? heard the Broncos had the last chance w/ Robinson, but the money wasn't right, so he must have gotten a heck of an offer from KC

What I do like about this deal is it takes one less competitor for a CB out of the mix for higher quality talent.


"Another post with undertones of desperation from Cutler06"......Don't worry it will be alright. I know you worry all the time constantly trolling the KC forum fearing we are getting better but it will be ok. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cutler06


Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Posts: 10203
Location: Westminster
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
But had the Broncos signed him it would have been a great move to solidify their defense I'm sure.


Well, I never indicated that...but for the RIGHT price, most signings are good. As for Robinson, I wasn't a fan considering he gave up the 5th most yardage and a terrible pct vs qb for a starting CB. I think there are better CB's to be had....but for your team, as started here, it does fill a need, even if it is a 3yr stop gap.
_________________


Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cutler06


Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Posts: 10203
Location: Westminster
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel2692 wrote:
Cutler06 wrote:
Another move with undertones of desperation. Giving Robinson "starter's money" for a guy who looks to be passing his best days. Rather than waiting on FA to begin and compete, take the quick fix regardless of superior talent available. I wonder how much of his visit to the Broncos pushed the salary offer into starter money range ? heard the Broncos had the last chance w/ Robinson, but the money wasn't right, so he must have gotten a heck of an offer from KC

What I do like about this deal is it takes one less competitor for a CB out of the mix for higher quality talent.


"Another post with undertones of desperation from Cutler06"......Don't worry it will be alright. I know you worry all the time consItantly trolling the KC forum fearing we are getting better but it will be ok. Laughing


Well Diesel, I don't FEAR you guys getting better, it was an eventuality, where else could you guys go but up, you're NOT the Raiders ya know... Laughing I liked the Smith move, but thought you guys overpaid for him. The Bowe signing HAD to happen and your FO came thru. The Jackson move was a bit questionable (not a TJ fan) , but the results were to your benefit. The Winston release is still a head-scratcher to me, but as a Broncos fan, I applaud it. I do think with the Robinson signing, with all the CB talent out there, you guys made a rash move without regard to talent available. While there will be competition with the dollars, there are only so many jobs available and waiting for a few to drop can allow for better talent at a more reasonable price due to the desperation of the talent pool .....IMO.
_________________


Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Diesel2692


Joined: 15 Mar 2009
Posts: 2653
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now you don't know ANYTHING. As for Robinson, maybe he plays nickel, maybe he plays FS, and just maybe we still land another CB as well in FA even better. We've also reached out to DRC, but I'm sure that couldn't possibly be a good signing either, unless Denver were to sign him that is. Who knows. But hey whatever helps you sleep at night. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
odendin


Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 1786
Location: San Francisco
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
Another move with undertones of desperation. Giving Robinson "starter's money" for a guy who looks to be passing his best days. Rather than waiting on FA to begin and compete, take the quick fix regardless of superior talent available. I wonder how much of his visit to the Broncos pushed the salary offer into starter money range ? heard the Broncos had the last chance w/ Robinson, but the money wasn't right, so he must have gotten a heck of an offer from KC

What I do like about this deal is it takes one less competitor for a CB out of the mix for higher quality talent.


Maybe you havent seen our cap numbers - there may be superior players out there but we don't have that cash.
_________________
September cant come fast enough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Cutler06


Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Posts: 10203
Location: Westminster
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odendin wrote:
Cutler06 wrote:
Another move with undertones of desperation. Giving Robinson "starter's money" for a guy who looks to be passing his best days. Rather than waiting on FA to begin and compete, take the quick fix regardless of superior talent available. I wonder how much of his visit to the Broncos pushed the salary offer into starter money range ? heard the Broncos had the last chance w/ Robinson, but the money wasn't right, so he must have gotten a heck of an offer from KC

What I do like about this deal is it takes one less competitor for a CB out of the mix for higher quality talent.


Maybe you havent seen our cap numbers - there may be superior players out there but we don't have that cash.


I would be interested in seeing what cap yoom you still have, I guess Bowe and Smith's deals are cap-killer's ?? I thought you guys had $30M+ before you restructured TJ and cut Winston ??
_________________


Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DT58_lives_on


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 5789
Location: St. Cloud, MN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Bowe's deal is actually pretty friendly this year. Remember also that we still have Cassel counting against the cap. It's been widely talked about that we were one of the first teams to contact Smith from the Dolphins. My guess is, we contacted him, he said what he wanted, we said what we were willing to pay and then went separate ways.

As far as us being 30 under the cap, I don't remember that. But when you take into account still having 5.5 from Cassel, Albert currently costing us 10m, and we re-signed Colquitt to the highest paid punter deal (for now). So even with Bowe's team friendly contract we've put some serious dollars out there. PLUS I think most of our cap considerations include Alex Smith's 9 mil a year for the next two also.

If Smith wants 8+, and we pay Robinson 4-5 (which I'm hoping it is on the low side) then I think we all know why we have Robinson and not Smith.
_________________
[image]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/jesse_fritsch1/DEEFORD2_zpsef1ad50c.jpg[image]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Herm the Squirm


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 1037
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of when we signed Pat Surtain. Hopefully we get a decent year or two out of him. Fully expect us to also draft a corner at some point, possibly as early as the 3rd. This signals to me that we will not be taking that CB at #1 now.
_________________
Forty three years and counting
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cutler06


Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Posts: 10203
Location: Westminster
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
No, Bowe's deal is actually pretty friendly this year. Remember also that we still have Cassel counting against the cap. It's been widely talked about that we were one of the first teams to contact Smith from the Dolphins. My guess is, we contacted him, he said what he wanted, we said what we were willing to pay and then went separate ways.

As far as us being 30 under the cap, I don't remember that. But when you take into account still having 5.5 from Cassel, Albert currently costing us 10m, and we re-signed Colquitt to the highest paid punter deal (for now). So even with Bowe's team friendly contract we've put some serious dollars out there. PLUS I think most of our cap considerations include Alex Smith's 9 mil a year for the next two also.

If Smith wants 8+, and we pay Robinson 4-5 (which I'm hoping it is on the low side) then I think we all know why we have Robinson and not Smith.


I forgot about that one too, still, it doesn't change my opinion about Robinson, there are better CB's to be had.
_________________


Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OILCHIEFS


Joined: 02 Feb 2011
Posts: 1473
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
Diesel2692 wrote:
Cutler06 wrote:
Another move with undertones of desperation. Giving Robinson "starter's money" for a guy who looks to be passing his best days. Rather than waiting on FA to begin and compete, take the quick fix regardless of superior talent available. I wonder how much of his visit to the Broncos pushed the salary offer into starter money range ? heard the Broncos had the last chance w/ Robinson, but the money wasn't right, so he must have gotten a heck of an offer from KC

What I do like about this deal is it takes one less competitor for a CB out of the mix for higher quality talent.


"Another post with undertones of desperation from Cutler06"......Don't worry it will be alright. I know you worry all the time consItantly trolling the KC forum fearing we are getting better but it will be ok. Laughing


Well Diesel, I don't FEAR you guys getting better, it was an eventuality, where else could you guys go but up, you're NOT the Raiders ya know... Laughing I liked the Smith move, but thought you guys overpaid for him. The Bowe signing HAD to happen and your FO came thru. The Jackson move was a bit questionable (not a TJ fan) , but the results were to your benefit. The Winston release is still a head-scratcher to me, but as a Broncos fan, I applaud it. I do think with the Robinson signing, with all the CB talent out there, you guys made a rash move without regard to talent available. While there will be competition with the dollars, there are only so many jobs available and waiting for a few to drop can allow for better talent at a more reasonable price due to the desperation of the talent pool .....IMO.




I don't often agree with you and didn't like the undertone of desperation but I have to agree with most of what you just said.

Completely agree on the Smith and Bowe part. People are praising Dorsey for signing Bowe but that's just what good GM's do so I hoped for his sake he did it and he came through. Jackson is a good player and at a max cap hit of 5.2 with incentive I think it's decent value. I agree on Winston as well. Until further information becomes available I'll still be confused. I'm also skeptical about the Robinson deal. If the money is low then I'm happy but as you said it will be a buyer's market.

I'm pretty in tune with all that you said.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eric Berry


Joined: 23 Jan 2011
Posts: 381
Location: Lexington, KY
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:
No, Bowe's deal is actually pretty friendly this year. Remember also that we still have Cassel counting against the cap. It's been widely talked about that we were one of the first teams to contact Smith from the Dolphins. My guess is, we contacted him, he said what he wanted, we said what we were willing to pay and then went separate ways.

As far as us being 30 under the cap, I don't remember that. But when you take into account still having 5.5 from Cassel, Albert currently costing us 10m, and we re-signed Colquitt to the highest paid punter deal (for now). So even with Bowe's team friendly contract we've put some serious dollars out there. PLUS I think most of our cap considerations include Alex Smith's 9 mil a year for the next two also.

If Smith wants 8+, and we pay Robinson 4-5 (which I'm hoping it is on the low side) then I think we all know why we have Robinson and not Smith.


I forgot about that one too, still, it doesn't change my opinion about Robinson, there are better CB's to be had.


Really? There is always better to be had.

Please...Forgive us for being excited that our 2 win team is making moves at positions of need
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kylecumberland


Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 1161
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I like about this is that we are filling needs in free agency and with trades. This allows us to truly take the BPA in every round of the draft. That is what made the packers so good. While Robinson is not great or anything he is a reasonable starting corner, and allows us to find studs in the draft, regardless of position. in 2008 when we drafted Flowers and Charles in rounds 2 and 3 those were pure BPA picks, and it worked out very well. When pioli got here he started reaching on needs. John Dorsey found a stud CB in the 2012 draft in Casey Hayward by going BPA even though they didn't have a pressing need exactly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group