Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots close to signing WR Wes Welker to a long-term deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Donut wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
^I would much prefer to just re-sign Edleman and totally ignore Welker, tbh. Focus FA efforts on defense, so we can draft a wr. Very Happy

Uh, what?

NextBigThing wrote:
I dont like the idea of letting Welker walk just so we can try and replace him with someone else who does a poor imitation of Welker.

Does not compute.

Edleman is very different than Welker. He actually has decent straight line speed. He can do the little out & udnerneath routes we would want WW to do when we want to run them, but he can do far more.

I think you're confused because I am moreso talking about my desire for an overall offensive philosophy which relies very little on slot receiver production. Hence, Welker is not needed, and Edelman can do the slot routes on the -rare- occasion we decide to go there.

IF we are not going to change philosophy, though, and intend to still be sot machine dependent...that makes me more open to a WW return. But I loooooathe the idea of carrying on with the same offensive identity that we have had the past 3 years.

But Danny Amendola is considered a poor welker imitation? Amendola is better at getting behind DBs than Welker and Edelman... So how is Amendola a poor version of Welker but Edelman isn't? Amendola can do all Edelman can and way more.

This.

Actually i haven't seen THAT much of Amendola. My understanding of him, though - and what seems like a league wide consensus - is he is a slot guy. Edleman can do more than that. I think DA > JE, but not by as much as a contract would likely prove.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Donut wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
^I would much prefer to just re-sign Edleman and totally ignore Welker, tbh. Focus FA efforts on defense, so we can draft a wr. Very Happy

Uh, what?

NextBigThing wrote:
I dont like the idea of letting Welker walk just so we can try and replace him with someone else who does a poor imitation of Welker.

Does not compute.

Edleman is very different than Welker. He actually has decent straight line speed. He can do the little out & udnerneath routes we would want WW to do when we want to run them, but he can do far more.

I think you're confused because I am moreso talking about my desire for an overall offensive philosophy which relies very little on slot receiver production. Hence, Welker is not needed, and Edelman can do the slot routes on the -rare- occasion we decide to go there.

IF we are not going to change philosophy, though, and intend to still be sot machine dependent...that makes me more open to a WW return. But I loooooathe the idea of carrying on with the same offensive identity that we have had the past 3 years.

But Danny Amendola is considered a poor welker imitation? Amendola is better at getting behind DBs than Welker and Edelman... So how is Amendola a poor version of Welker but Edelman isn't? Amendola can do all Edelman can and way more.

This.

Actually i haven't seen THAT much of Amendola. My understanding of him, though - and what seems like a league wide consensus - is he is a slot guy. Edleman can do more than that. I think DA > JE, but not by as much as a contract would likely prove.

Your understanding of him is incorrect. He has been used in the slot a lot. That doesn't make him "a slot guy" though this was a really nice play in the slot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKO2x6ayFyg
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with NBT (a first for me) for different reasons. When I first saw Edelman at TC and joined the train of people who thought he would make the team that Rab started, I thought he was another Welker.

Now though, I see more than just that, and he is extremely comparable to Amendola. I would like to see him re-signed rather than spend on Amendola, unless Danny's market is barren.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
I agree with NBT (a first for me) for different reasons. When I first saw Edelman at TC and joined the train of people who thought he would make the team that Rab started, I thought he was another Welker.

Now though, I see more than just that, and he is extremely comparable to Amendola. I would like to see him re-signed rather than spend on Amendola, unless Danny's market is barren.

I like Edelman and want him back, but his receiving ability is getting pretty overrated by some.

He has too many lapses in concentration and is too unpolished (in technique, route running and field awareness) for me to want him as anything more than a #3/4 type guy. Amendola is a far superior player at this point in their respective careers.

As the primary punt returner and backup WR, he's great. In lieu of a quality WR like Amendola? Not good enough IMO.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

I like Edelman and want him back, but his receiving ability is getting pretty overrated by some.

He has too many lapses in concentration and is too unpolished (in technique, route running and field awareness) for me to want him as anything more than a #3/4 type guy. Amendola is a far superior player at this point in their respective careers.

As the primary punt returner and backup WR, he's great. In lieu of a quality WR like Amendola? Not good enough IMO.

I completely agree, but I do think he has the abilities to get on Amendola's level. His flaws are fixable, and despite his decently long tenure in the league, I think consistent playing time could help alleviate these. There is a reason Jules will be leaps and bounds cheaper than Amendola, but I think I am willing to take the risk on the smaller contact in this scenario.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

I completely agree, but I do think he has the abilities to get on Amendola's level. His flaws are fixable, and despite his decently long tenure in the league, I think consistent playing time could help alleviate these. There is a reason Jules will be leaps and bounds cheaper than Amendola, but I think I am willing to take the risk on the smaller contact in this scenario.

Depnds on their relative costs. Edelman at $1.5M vs. Amendola at $6M is a no brainer. Edelman at $2.5M vs. Amendola at $5M is a different story
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say drop this fool already. He should be signed by this point if he wasn't being such a castoff. On the decline and getting old. We've maxed him out. I wouldn't mind letting him walk and a change to philosophy in the offense. We have other big pieces we can make a bigger part of.

Aite,

peace.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
He should be signed by this point if he wasn't being such a castoff.

Maybe he wants to see what his value is outside of New England.

The only way he "should be signed" is if he were willing to take a significant discount or the Pats were offering a crazy amount.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

Depnds on their relative costs. Edelman at $1.5M vs. Amendola at $6M is a no brainer. Edelman at $2.5M vs. Amendola at $5M is a different story

True, and both their markets have been fairly soft so far in the legal tampering stage of things. Then again, almost the entire WR market has been fairly quiet thus far.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:

The only way he "should be signed" is if he were willing to take a significant discount or the Pats were offering a crazy amount.

And if it's true (which I believe so), it's a little demeaning knowing he had the intentions of leaving. Welker has been superb for us over the years, but he hasn't done anything in the most critical times to prove his worth (playoffs). From what I remember reading, we've opened up to giving him 8-9 million a year, which is not ridiculously low. Welker has taken this past the point.

Aite,

peace.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:

And if it's true (which I believe so), it's a little demeaning knowing he had the intentions of leaving. Welker has been superb for us over the years, but he hasn't done anything in the most critical times to prove his worth (playoffs). From what I remember reading, we've opened up to giving him 8-9 million a year, which is not ridiculously low. Welker has taken this past the point.

um, 8-9 mil a year? Yea, im gonna need a link for that.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:

Do you have a link for the claim that the Pats have offered him "8-9 million per year" lately? Or that he "had the intentions of leaving"?

I know there were rumors that the Pats offered 2/$18M last year but Welker turned that down because he didn't want a 2 year deal,
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:

Do you have a link for the claim that the Pats have offered him "8-9 million per year" lately? Or that he "had the intentions of leaving"?

I know there were rumors that the Pats offered 2/$18M last year but Welker turned that down because he didn't want a 2 year deal,

I don't have the link. But I read it here, posted by our very own.

Aite,

peace.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:

That he intended to leave?
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:

That he intended to leave?

Nope. The offer we gave him. At this point, it's pretty clear he wants to test the market. That implies the intention of leaving.

Aite,

peace.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: