Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers place orignal pick tenders on WR Sanders, RB Dwyer
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Steelers place orignal pick tenders on WR Sanders, RB Dwyer Reply with quote

Quote:
The first one is Pittsburgh placing a low tender on Steve McLendon.

The Steelers' other notable decision was placing tenders on both running backs, Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman.

WR Emmanuel Sanders: Original round (third round)

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/66718/steelers-put-low-tender-on-steve-mclendon

They are also making Punter Jeremy Kapinos and LB Stevenson Sylvester free-agents.

The Steelers placed a tender on RB Isaac Redman and DL Steve McLendon aswell in addition to WR Emmanuel Sanders and RB Jonathan Dwyer.

McLendon is expected to replace Casey Hampton as the team's starting nose tackle so placing such a low tender on the former undrafted free-agent is very risky.
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means they'll be back
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
popie70

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So disappointed by Sylvester I had high hopes when we drafted him but he can't get on the field even with our ILB problems.
chrisororke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's to hoping Sanders gets a nice offer from New England, Miami, Tennessee, Cleveland, Cincy. I want Da'Rick Rogers!! We get 3rd rd comp for Sanders if signed away. Rogers wouldn't be there. IMHO there are at least 10 WRs better than Sanders in this draft.

Say NE gives him 5yr/22.5M, very possible with Welker leaving in all likelihood. We can't match that, thus, getting their 3rd. I wouldn't be happy for a straight Robert Woods for Sanders swap if that's how it went down. After Wallace, Jennings, Welker, the WR class is very weak. Sanders presents great value for a team by only costing them a 3rd and under 2M cap hit year one. He could easily be gone

Smart move not giving Sylvester a tender. GREED is not good Mr "House" McClendon could easily be gone by only giving him 1.323 tender. No barriers of entry...
wwhickok

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very unlikely thay anyone offers anything for Sanders.

Im glad to see S.S. is walking. He was a complete bust.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
Here's to hoping Sanders gets a nice offer from New England, Miami, Tennessee, Cleveland, Cincy. I want Da'Rick Rogers!! We get 3rd rd comp for Sanders if signed away. Rogers wouldn't be there. IMHO there are at least 10 WRs better than Sanders in this draft.

Say NE gives him 5yr/22.5M, very possible with Welker leaving in all likelihood. We can't match that, thus, getting their 3rd. I wouldn't be happy for a straight Robert Woods for Sanders swap if that's how it went down. After Wallace, Jennings, Welker, the WR class is very weak. Sanders presents great value for a team by only costing them a 3rd and under 2M cap hit year one. He could easily be gone

Smart move not giving Sylvester a tender. GREED is not good Mr "House" McClendon could easily be gone by only giving him 1.323 tender. No barriers of entry...

Sanders at least has shown he can play at a high level at times...unlike Worlids and McLendon who some people seem oddly comfortable with seeing as our starters.

Also, signing Sanders doesnt mean we wont draft a WR. After losing Wallace, if we also lost Sanders that would mean we were down to Brown and Cotchery. They couldnt let that happen.
Dook

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because a player is being allowed to enter free agency doesn't mean they are walking anywhere. Sylvester might still be a Steeler next season.
mosteelers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't understand how a lot of this works, but if I was a team, needed to get a Rb, why not go after Redman and Dwyer. Losing a 6th or nothing to get a guy who has at least proven he can be a professional and stick on a roster is better than drafting a RB with the 6th who most likely won't make it.

Sig courtesy of miafins23 Thanks
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:

How in the world do you expect anyone to take you serious with a statement like that? This draft is weak at WR, and you think the top 10 prospects are already better, if not more?

That means that you think we can easily replace him with a player who is likely a 5th rounder? Eh?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
chrisororke wrote:

How in the world do you expect anyone to take you serious with a statement like that? This draft is weak at WR, and you think the top 10 prospects are already better, if not more?

That means that you think we can easily replace him with a player who is likely a 5th rounder? Eh?

The draft is weak at WR?

Thats simply not true at all. Its one of the stronger positions in the draft and one of the stronger WR classes in recent memory...especially in the first 3 or 4 rounds.

However, I dont know about the "10 WRs being better than Sanders" thing. Maybe better prospects than he was, but Steeler fans hate on Sanders too much. I realize he hasnt set the world on fire, but its funny how Steeler fans seem to have more faith in Worlids starting over him, despite Sanders showing much better at WR than Worlids ever has at OLB.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move. It's always smart to re-sign your own. As 4-3 said. This does not mean the team won't be looking to upgrade those positons in the draft. All it means is they are covering their own players who've been productive at times as very young players. Now it's up to thee two young guys to take the next step in ther development. The team has shown they have faith in them. Now it's time for Sanders and Dwyer to reward the team by going out there and having good seasons.

Last edited by turtle28 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
chrisororke wrote:

The draft is weak at WR?

Thats simply not true at all. Its one of the stronger positions in the draft and one of the stronger WR classes in recent memory...especially in the first 3 or 4 rounds.

However, I dont know about the "10 WRs being better than Sanders" thing. Maybe better prospects than he was, but Steeler fans hate on Sanders too much. I realize he hasnt set the world on fire, but its funny how Steeler fans seem to have more faith in Worlids starting over him, despite Sanders showing much better at WR than Worlids ever has at OLB.

Worilds stats for not seeing the field a bunch are fine. At least he's accumulated something in his 3 yrs vs doing nothing.

As for sanders he's a more than capable two/three WR. I'm happy if healthy he's getting a chance.

The only tender I'm worried about is McLendon even though he hasn't accomplished much. What he can offer could be huge as the entire league is based on potential and upside.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't have said it better myself Steelproven. Bringing back your own and building a team that way is the way to do and the way the steelers have done it for the most part in the past as long as it makes sense cap/contract wise.

I could see a scenario where Dwyer, Sanders, McLendon and Worilds all start this season and the team looks about the same as it did last year with their old overpaid players.

With that happening, you'd have to think these younger guys are only going to keep improving in the future and the team will start to win more games in future years.

Even with McLendon and Redman, the steelers have the first right of refusal, meaning they can match the offers another team May give them. I think they'll all be back and I think all of their futures are bright.
mitchconnor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosteelers wrote:
Don't understand how a lot of this works, but if I was a team, needed to get a Rb, why not go after Redman and Dwyer. Losing a 6th or nothing to get a guy who has at least proven he can be a professional and stick on a roster is better than drafting a RB with the 6th who most likely won't make it.

I agree. Now, if you make too much of a lowball offer, the player can always refuse it, sign his tender, and stay with his team. But if I needed a rb, I would certainly consider making an offer to Dwyer.
miamisteeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I couldn't have said it better myself Steelproven. Bringing back your own and building a team that way is the way to do and the way the steelers have done it for the most part in the past as long as it makes sense cap/contract wise.

I could see a scenario where Dwyer, Sanders, McLendon and Worilds all start this season and the team looks about the same as it did last year with their old overpaid players.

With that happening, you'd have to think these younger guys are only going to keep improving in the future and the team will start to win more games in future years.

Even with McLendon and Redman, the steelers have the first right of refusal, meaning they can match the offers another team May give them. I think they'll all be back and I think all of their futures are bright.

Completely agree great post!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: