Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dashon Goldson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neezy007

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the redskins don't want to overpay you that really means something.
DirtyJersey9er

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldson will probably get overpaid by Philly and then proceed to not sniff a Super Bowl for the rest of his career. I wouldn't be surprised if he also has a drop off in play in 2013 too.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
mrscottso

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why we can't cut Whitner and keep Goldson?

BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
Goldson will probably get overpaid by Philly and then proceed to not sniff a Super Bowl for the rest of his career. I wouldn't be surprised if he also has a drop off in play in 2013 too.

This is where I see him ending up. The connection to Gamble would make sense.

We'll find out if he is just a product of great coaching or is he the real deal. I'll be betting against the latter.

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrscottso wrote:
I don't see why we can't cut Whitner and keep Goldson?

because Goldson wants a long-term deal with loads of guaranteed money... and it would seem the F/O doesn't want to be on the hook for such a large and lengthy contract with him. It's not just as easy as taking 4 million from cutting Whitner and handing that 4 plus more to Goldson to stay for the year. Or maybe we could have with the F-tag, but apparently, we didn't want to tick him off with such a 1 year fix.

___
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many teams pay their fifth (at best) best player 8 millions+ a year? Now Dashon is not the fifth best player on the team. He's, at best, the fifth best player on the defense alone. Signing him is just not economically viable. Economy is also the reason why we'll probably get rid of Rogers at some time over the next 12 months (it might happen this offseason or next, but I doubt he finishes his contract). Now, if we get Revis, we definitely cut Rogers, and I don't see any reason not to pay Revis. He would arguably be a top 3 player on our D, maybe even on our entire team. I could see that happen. But paying 8 mil for Dashon is ridiculous.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
We have addressed the Dashon issue... several times... 2 years ago, last year, this year again. And our back end isn't our achille's heel, okay? 4th in pass defense.
That's because of how great the Niners front 7 is. When they can't get constant pressure their DB's get exposed just like they did in the postseason. They got constant pressure on Aaron Rodgers, so they kind of held them in check. They got ripped by Flacco and Ryan because of the lack of pressure at times.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
We have addressed the Dashon issue... several times... 2 years ago, last year, this year again. And our back end isn't our achille's heel, okay? 4th in pass defense.
That's because of how great the Niners front 7 is. When they can't get constant pressure their DB's get exposed just like they did in the postseason. They got constant pressure on Aaron Rodgers, so they kind of held them in check. They got ripped by Flacco and Ryan because of the lack of pressure at times.

That's true of every team, even those who don't field Dashon Goldson... which is... all of them.

l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

That's true of every team, even those who don't field Dashon Goldson... which is... all of them.
Good point, but the Niners secondary actually isn't very good when they're left in coverage for more than 3 seconds. Whitner is absolutely terrible in coverage and Culliver was constantly picked on (especially in the first half) by Baltimore in the Superbowl. If they let Goldson go and don't go after Revis, I think they're in trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Good point, but the Niners secondary actually isn't very good when they're left in coverage for more than 3 seconds. Whitner is absolutely terrible in coverage and Culliver was constantly picked on (especially in the first half) by Baltimore in the Superbowl. If they let Goldson go and don't go after Revis, I think they're in trouble.

I think one thing that is rarely considered is how good Tarell Brown has played. It's been overlooked, no one talks about it, but it has allowed Goldson to just play his zone, not always be the safety help on top, like Whitner has had to be with a rookie/sophomore Culliver on the other side.

If we can improve the play on Whitner's side, through experience and the progression of Culliver, or by getting a better CB to man that side, Whitner's job will be made that much easier. Since it looks like we won't re-sign Goldson, either we sign a FS to take his job, or draft one, or maybe we can sign a CB for less than Goldson asks, move Culliver to FS, and actually have a better, yet cheaper secondary. There are just so many ways we can go with it, and if everyone's healthy in the front 7 and we can bring in some better depth, then I'm not worried about the secondary much either.

P_locNiners

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
l3lind golfer wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

I think one thing that is rarely considered is how good Tarell Brown has played. It's been overlooked, no one talks about it, but it has allowed Goldson to just play his zone, not always be the safety help on top, like Whitner has had to be with a rookie/sophomore Culliver on the other side.

If we can improve the play on Whitner's side, through experience and the progression of Culliver, or by getting a better CB to man that side, Whitner's job will be made that much easier. Since it looks like we won't re-sign Goldson, either we sign a FS to take his job, or draft one, or maybe we can sign a CB for less than Goldson asks, move Culliver to FS, and actually have a better, yet cheaper secondary. There are just so many ways we can go with it, and if everyone's healthy in the front 7 and we can bring in some better depth, then I'm not worried about the secondary much either.

+1

Brown is underrated and I think that our defense may have made Goldson look better than he is. Dont get me wrong, Goldson is a good player, just not a guy that you shell out for.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@RSherman_25: Wait Wait Wait..... Is SF really just gonna let #38 leave?

Laughing

new sig... sorry alex
DirtyJersey9er

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
Quote:

Laughing

My response

Quote:
@R_Sherman25 but they still have 91, 94, 55, 53, 52, 99, 25, 22, and 31. So you guys still get second place on lock.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
Quote:

Laughing

My response

Quote:
@R_Sherman25 but they still have 91, 94, 55, 53, 52, 99, 25, 22, and 31. So you guys still get second place on lock.

Forgot 29.

48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
Quote:

Laughing

My response

Quote:

Forgot 29.

and 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: