Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens telling WR Anquan Boldin to take pay-cut; Refuses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***

Quote:
Boldin has rejected a Ravens proposal to reduce his salary, and is preparing to become an unrestricted free agent if released, according to a person person with knowledge of the negotiations.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2013/03/09/anquan-boldin-rejects-ravens-offer-free-agency/1975345/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Tom Brady Tribute
janky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm holding on to faith that Ozzie and Q can work something out for the next two years. We need Anquan on this team.

I'm waiting to see what happens. In Ozzie we trust.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp this throws a monkey wrench into free agency and the draft, will be interesting to see what they do now.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite understand what is going on... really hoping they can work something out. With $12 million in cap space I just don't see why we need to shed Boldin's salary, how much money are they realistically trying to spend on Ellerbe/Reed (if that's where it's going), and is getting rid of Boldin really the best route to clear up that room? I would cut Leach before even THINKING about doing anything with Boldin, for example.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all this going down I wanna just say screw it and roll the dice on Da'Rick Rogers' character.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Baltimore Pride

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not what I wanted to see. Q still plays a vital role in the offense and likely would for at least another season or two.

That being said its rather surprising to see him refuse the offer they gave him, assuming it wasn't a massively low-ball offer (given how good of a GM Ozzie is I doubt he would make that mistake), especially after coming out any saying he would either play in Baltimore or retire.

I just hope this isn't a sign that the Reed/Ellerbe negotiations are that far apart that the FO has to resort to cutting talented player and in the process create a need for us at said position.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore Pride wrote:
I just hope this isn't a sign that the Reed/Ellerbe negotiations are that far apart that the FO has to resort to cutting talented player and in the process create a need for us at said position.

It is really weird, but that would have to be the reason wouldn't it? I don't know why they would give Flacco's new contract such a small cap hit for 2013 if they weren't planning to use the money them. That space would have been perfect for Boldin's contract since it expires after the next year.

We could have avoid a ton of hassle if we extended Ellerbe before the season instead of McClain. It was plain as day to me that he was the better player, so the pros had to have seen it too.

O well, can't go back in time. And even if we could, you don't want to step on a butterfly before a super bowl run. Laughing
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Baltimore Pride wrote:

It is really weird, but that would have to be the reason wouldn't it? I don't know why they would give Flacco's new contract such a small cap hit for 2013 if they weren't planning to use the money them. That space would have been perfect for Boldin's contract since it expires after the next year.

We could have avoid a ton of hassle if we extended Ellerbe before the season instead of McClain. It was plain as day to me that he was the better player, so the pros had to have seen it too.
O well, can't go back in time. And even if we could, you don't want to step on a butterfly before a super bowl run. Laughing

Don't let the last 10 games cloud your opinion of Ellerbe overall. He couldn't beat out McClain to be the starter, which was why he wasn't extended,

And if he leaves, the sky won't fall. He's not an irreplaceable cog in the defense...even with Ray's retirement.

It makes more sense if the move with Boldin is because the team is working on extending Kruger. Bringing him back would certainly cost more than Ellerbe or Reed (possibly combined), hence the need for additional cap space.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy who just came on WNST said he thinks this could be the start of a negotiation period for Boldin and the Ravens. Hopefully we can work something out. One thing working for us is that he's more than likely not going to get the 7.6 million or so that he was due with us anywhere. How much he will cost is another question, especially considering Hartline just got 6 million a year from Miami.

^Good point about Kruger. If Boldin is gone and it somehow helps us in retaining Kruger then that makes the move easier to swallow.

Idk, we'll see. Obviously the best option is Boldin coming back but I trust Ozzie if he thinks the best move for us is to let him go and find someone to take his spot.
bmorecareful

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wtf is going on. So basically next year we rebuilding, How do we expect Flacco to have any chance to live up to his contract if we gut the offense lol. Really that's the plan, we only have two legitimate starters at receiver. Whatever though in Ozzie I trust. I remember 07 when we I was bracing for a full out rebuild we all remember how that worked out. So I'm a little disappointed but I'll wait to see how it turns our
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
Baltimore Pride wrote:

Don't let the last 10 games cloud your opinion of Ellerbe overall. He couldn't beat out McClain to be the starter, which was why he wasn't extended,

And if he leaves, the sky won't fall. He's not an irreplaceable cog in the defense...even with Ray's retirement.

It makes more sense if the move with Boldin is because the team is working on extending Kruger. Bringing him back would certainly cost more than Ellerbe or Reed (possibly combined), hence the need for additional cap space.

My opinion of Ellerbe >>> McClain is not something I developed in the last 10 games, or even the last year. He's looked better every single time they let him on the field. McClain never in his career played as well as Ellerbe did in his rookie year. I'm not saying he's irreplaceable, but he is absolutely a key player for our defense.

That said, I would keep Boldin over Ellerbe. Especially since Ellerbe will likely be more expensive.

Kruger is Gone with a capital G. No way we are paying him what other teams are going to offer, and I don't think he is as important as Ellerbe is. We didn't even have him on the field for half the snaps in the super bowl because of his liability against the run. Ellerbe is an every down player.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:
So wtf is going on. So basically next year we rebuilding, How do we expect Flacco to have any chance to live up to his contract if we gut the offense lol. Really that's the plan, we only have two legitimate starters at receiver. Whatever though in Ozzie I trust. I remember 07 when we I was bracing for a full out rebuild we all remember how that worked out. So I'm a little disappointed but I'll wait to see how it turns our

I don't get it either but, it looked like we were in worse shape 2 years ago when we let Derrick Mason and Todd Heap go. We ended up drafting Smith and Doss and threw Smith right in there.

Maybe we really liked what we saw from the WR prospects in the draft; though, what I've read implies a stronger draft at LB and DT.
Dissonance19

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure escalated quickly between Boldin and Ravens. Not sure what either are thinking. Didn't think it'd come to this. I was optimistic they'd reach an extension to avoid it. WR jumps to our highest priority, if so. Apparently, he's denying they said it to him but it could be just a game between he and FO to work out a resolution.

You let Ellerbe go if it means keeping him or getting others - even though it won't happen. And no way we were gonna keep Kruger regardless IMO. I've always been wary of him duplicating and some team will overpay for him.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:

I don't disagree with your point but you could also say the same thing about Boldin's last 4 games. There were a lot of us projecting Boldin to be cut before his postseason performance. I can't blame the front office for not expecting him to live up to what he did in the playoffs and go back to what he was doing in the regular season.

McClain isn't a good ILB though.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see there are already plenty of people around the web who are blaming this on Flacco.

Because that $7million he's getting paid this year is just so selfish and greedy, isn't it? Why, with that sort of cap hit, the Ravens will have to release half a dozen of their best players.

The sad fact is, even with Joe being so accommodating about his 2013 salary, the Ravens are in an almost impossible position, cap-wise. Lots of money tied up, not much to go around, players who need to be re-signed and players who are perhaps being paid more than their value.

Everyone's going to have to understand that, if they want to be wearing purple and black in 2013.

I'm just remaining philosophical about it all. We won the Super Bowl, that means we have these problems. I'd hate to have the other sort of problems. The ones that the Browns and Jags and Raiders have.

Boldin might go, Ellerbe might go, even Reed might go. The Ravens might take a step back. But that will mean they're still several steps ahead of a lot of teams.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: