Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Vincent Jackson an elite receiver?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlwaysClutch15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Is Vincent Jackson an elite receiver? Reply with quote

I certainly think so. It might have been a crazy notion just a year ago, but he certainly proved himself this year.
The stats were never there in San Diego, as he consistently produced good but not great numbers. I think considering how well he has played and how poorly Philip Rivers has played without him, it's pretty fair to say Rivers was holding him back.

Now, here is what Vincent Jackson has done this year:
Posted career highs in receptions and yards (none of his San Diego seasons came even close).
Ranked 9th in receiving first downs.
Ranked 5th in receiving yards despite Freeman's inconsistency (and his own).
Ranked 3rd in catches of over 20 yards.
Led the league in YPC.
Went HAM against the Panthers with the clutch TD catch and the 2.
Helped Mike Williams take his game to another level.
Helped the Buccaneers transform a poor offense into a dynamic one.

Jackson played ridiculously well this year, especially considering the inconsistency at the quarterback position. And the best is yet to come. VJax and Freeman will continue to develop chemistry. Freeman will improve. Williams will also improve. And our guards will return from injury. This offense is going to be lethal next year. The best is yet to come from the offense and from VJax himself. If you ask me, he's up there with the Megatrons and the Andres.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you answered your own question. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is elite? Top 3, top 5, top 10?

All I know is he was a monster this year AND in years past. His yards per catch has always been among the top in the league. I don't think Rivers was holding him back, I do think his favorite weapon was Gates though. He was the number one option. No knock on Jackson of coarse, Gates will go down as one of the best receiving te's to ever play the game.

I expect Jackson to have another huge year. He won't have to be worrying about finding a home or getting to know new teammates or coaches.

Nicks will have the same impact this season as Jackson did last year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:
What is elite? Top 3, top 5, top 10?

All I know is he was a monster this year AND in years past. His yards per catch has always been among the top in the league. I don't think Rivers was holding him back, I do think his favorite weapon was Gates though. He was the number one option. No knock on Jackson of coarse, Gates will go down as one of the best receiving te's to ever play the game.

I expect Jackson to have another huge year. He won't have to be worrying about finding a home or getting to know new teammates or coaches.

Nicks will have the same impact this season as Jackson did last year.

I think of elite as top 5. I would rank Megatron, Fitzgerald, AJ Green, Julio Jones, and Andre Johnson as probably my top 5 unless I'm forgetting someone. That's not to put down anything Jackson did last year as he certainly exceeded everyone's expectations. I would rank him in the 6-10 area though.
Caaddy24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be no question about it
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. No questions asked.
CHOMP_CHOMP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may get bashed for this but... I don't know if I would go as far as calling him elite.

Like you said top-5 is usually Calvin Johnosn, A.J. green, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, and then Julio Jones.

I do think Jackson is in that 6-10 range like mentioned before, but I don't know if that is considered elite. He is an amazing player and I love him on our team.

But I think he has an elite skill set, not necessarily an elite player. Still a very, very good player. I just don't think he is quite there in that elite category.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the top 5 or 10 thing is a bad way to judge 'elite'.

Jackson has elite measurables, he put up elite stats, and he made the average players around him (Williams and Freeman) much better. If you look at that, you would say he's elite. But because superfreaks like Calvin and Fitz exist, he's not? Not sure I agree with that.

In my opinion, I would not call Jackson a top 5 wideout, but he most certainly is elite.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of "elite" I think of WR's that are top 5 in most receiving categories that occurred in more than 1 season at least 3-4 seasons (disclaimer:unless that guy hasn't been in the league that long). So, no he isn't an elite WR just yet. I think 1 more season like last year and he's top 5 for sure. As of now, I got him at #6. And Julio Jones isn't an elite WR yet either, he's only had 1 year of having over 1,000 yards.

1) CJ
2) Fitz
3) AJ
4) Roddy White
5) Green
6) VJ
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indifference wrote:
When I think of "elite" I think of WR's that are top 5 in most receiving categories that occurred in more than 1 season at least 3-4 seasons (disclaimer:unless that guy hasn't been in the league that long). So, no he isn't an elite WR just yet. I think 1 more season like last year and he's top 5 for sure. As of now, I got him at #6. And Julio Jones isn't an elite WR yet either, he's only had 1 year of having over 1,000 yards.

1) CJ
2) Fitz
3) AJ
4) Roddy White
5) Green
6) VJ

Dude I'm a bucs fan and I'd definately say Julio jones is better than vjax. Nothing to take away from Jackson. He's an elite wr but Julio jones is better for sure. I'd say jones is better than Roddy white as well. I'd put it this way:

1. Megatron
2. Fitzgerald
3. Andre Johnson.
4. Julio jones.
5. AJ green
6. Roddy white.
7. Vincent Jackson.
bucstopshere

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. Carry on

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
indifference wrote:

1) CJ
2) Fitz
3) AJ
4) Roddy White
5) Green
6) VJ

Dude I'm a bucs fan and I'd definately say Julio jones is better than vjax. Nothing to take away from Jackson. He's an elite wr but Julio jones is better for sure. I'd say jones is better than Roddy white as well. I'd put it this way:

1. Megatron
2. Fitzgerald
3. Andre Johnson.
4. Julio jones.
5. AJ green
6. Roddy white.
7. Vincent Jackson.
Until Julio puts up numbers consistently, he isn't. Sure he was great this year but he didn't have an elite rookie season. So, no, he isn't yet.
AlwaysClutch15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
I think the top 5 or 10 thing is a bad way to judge 'elite'.

Jackson has elite measurables, he put up elite stats, and he made the average players around him (Williams and Freeman) much better. If you look at that, you would say he's elite. But because superfreaks like Calvin and Fitz exist, he's not? Not sure I agree with that.

In my opinion, I would not call Jackson a top 5 wideout, but he most certainly is elite.

This. Well, almost. I say he's a top 5 receiver. He's no Megatron or Fitz, but he's the next best thing.
Pvsports9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's very good...not elite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: