Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SD releasing LB Takeo Spikes today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porter22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: SD releasing LB Takeo Spikes today Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/07/chargers-cutting-takeo-spikes-on-thursday/

Quote:
Takeo Spikes, a 15-year veteran, will be released today, per a league source with knowledge of the situation.

First reported by Adam Schefter

QB Drew Brees - 1,203 YDs ; 7 TD ; 3 INT ; 71.4% Pct

DB Patrick Robinson - 12 Tackles, 3 PDefs, 1 INT
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to see him go. He was one of those guys you rooted for even though his contract was way higher then his production. He gave it all he had for us every snap.

Meanwhile; Clary, Gaither, Meachum, English and Royal are still on the payroll.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Sad to see him go. He was one of those guys you rooted for even though his contract was way higher then his production. He gave it all he had for us every snap.

Meanwhile; Clary, Gaither, Meachum, English and Royal are still on the payroll.

First thing I thought.

Sad to see him go.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Zappaz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does this mean we actually have a chance at the playoffs now?!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappaz wrote:
So does this mean we actually have a chance at the playoffs now?!

Even more if he signs with the Broncos
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I like that Spikes was the first one they decided to cut here. I do believe however that we need to be younger/more athletic at that position. The question is can we get a solid starter here at a cheaper price than Spikes. With Weddle/Butler here I think the locker room presence will be alright. Never hurts having a Spikes in the locker room but he was a liability on the field (at times). Im thinking free agency for a starter. That also gives De Williams more negotiating strength to renew his contract. He played well when given the chance. Any names pop into your head as who to look at. Don't burn my house down but what about a Rey Maualuga, Chase Blackburn or Bart Scott. Servicable slightly younger guys, not sure thier price range though. Your thoughts?
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
Not sure I like that Spikes was the first one they decided to cut here. I do believe however that we need to be younger/more athletic at that position. The question is can we get a solid starter here at a cheaper price than Spikes. With Weddle/Butler here I think the locker room presence will be alright. Never hurts having a Spikes in the locker room but he was a liability on the field (at times). Im thinking free agency for a starter. That also gives De Williams more negotiating strength to renew his contract. He played well when given the chance. Any names pop into your head as who to look at. Don't burn my house down but what about a Rey Maualuga, Chase Blackburn or Bart Scott. Servicable slightly younger guys, not sure thier price range though. Your thoughts?

All three are tuuuuurible.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Wilkieray wrote:

All three are tuuuuurible.

Throw onto that that we've been hearing (or I have at least) rumblings from the FO/coaching staff that we may be looking at a "youth movement" (i.e. play the youngins'). And that they're likely to go all-in to fix the OL potentially at the expense of "other positions". Telesco and Griggs last season with the Colts had the luxury of the #1 pick (and Andrew Luck) but largely went out of their way in FA and the draft to nail down one side of the ball specifically (the offense - i.e. the side where they were bringing in their top prospect).

Similarly, I'm expecting that we'll likely see the OL and the offense as the onus of this off-season, possibly at the expense of the defense in several regards (likely either secondary or pass-rush), which isn't all bad considering that if cards are played right this is a deep draft to fill out depth in the secondary, OL, H-Back, and secondary receivers.

Ideally I'd like to see them either nail down Butler long-term or else bring on someone of similar potential-impact in case we don't manage to lock him down (I realize that cap space is limited this year, but I'd actually rather lock him up than re-sign Vasquez... considering that there's potential for the figure to skyrocket with Darryl Washington, Pat Willis- who's already notched one year off his extension and is likely to seek more money, Navorro Bowman, Cushing, and Weatherspoon all up for renewal in the coming 1-2 seasons.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get playing the young guys but I don't see Mouton or Bird as starters. We can't afford to try and bring in a Dannell Ellerbe. Maybe if Kevin Minter falls (very unlikely) or Te'o to the second Maybe we draft a day 1 starter. I don't have any hopes on Te'o being great but he can play the position. After that you fall to like the 4-5th round with Alonzo. I dont see him starting day 1. Unless there is an OLB in the draft that can move inside, I dont know if we will be in position to pick one who'll start. So, even if we are looking youth I don't see where we will get a starting ILB unless we move Ingram inside but he is our only hope on the outside considering we are most certainly losing SP95
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I second locking up Butler long term!!
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applewhite actually looked good when we use him at the inside spot. Unfortunately there was a log jam of serviceable players at the position so he got the axe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some idiotic reason, Mouton never got a chance. I don't know if its because Norv didn't want him to or it was Pagano's decision, but seriously, they never put him out there. Hell, in like the 5 snaps he played he got a QB pressure at the goal line. Laughing

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he gets his chance this season. We are going to gamble big on our previous regimes picks. Trial by fire. I like the approach. Stack the offensive line so our investment in Rivers and Matthews isn't a waste and let the scheme develop on defense. Pagano will show this season what he is made of and if he needs elite players to produce. The defensive line is solid, linebackers while not spectacular will not be the liability. Those corners are going to get a ton of help from the scheme. If we just had a second safety worth a damn in zone and a pass rusher I wouldn't even worry.

Protect Rivers and our defense can be terrible and we will still win games though. I wish we'd explore trading Gates though. I love the guy for what he did but he isn't worth the money we're paying him anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has more value to us than anything we get in trade IMO. His issues were drops and Rivers not having the time to get to him.

#JDI
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue is he hasn't played a full season in 4 years and he is making superstar money. Trade value isn't high but his contract needs to go. Production isn't equaling the price and nostalgia is a luxury we can't afford while rebuilding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: