Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Could Eric Winston be out?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess when worded like that, if this group of folks has faith in Stephenson, we could cut Winston and save money on next year's cap. But as you said, we then need to fill a roster spot for under .7 million or we are losing money.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Could Eric Winston be out? Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
KC_Guy wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
He counts against the cap $4.9MM this year, was selected by the previous regime, and ultimately was very underwhelming this past year.

Daniel Jeremiah on NFL network keeps saying Joeckel is still the pick at #1 because Winston could be out.

Seeing our cap situation, I could definitely see it as an option.

How would you feel if we cut Winston?

And KC_Guy, how much dead money would we eat?

Winston's cap this year: 7 M$
If released: 6.3 M$ (and no player)

Bad move.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but doesn't the base salary (unless specifically guaranteed in the contract) comes off of the salary cap, so any prorated signing bonus amount that adds up as less than the base salary and any roster bonus that is not guaranteed and any workout bonuses. I believe the key is cutting the player before those yearly bonuses are due, then they come off of the cap as well (IIRC, any yearly bonuses like roster bonuses and workout bonuses are automatically counted against the cap of the year they are included in, then if they are not reached they are credited to the cap amount of that year).

Winston's going to make 4.9 M$ base this year.
He had a 8.4 M$ signing bonus for 4 years - thus prorated signing bonus 2.1 M$/year.
His base salary goes away if cut - but the three remaining portions of signing bonus accelerate into 2013: 6.3 M$. Unless he's designated a June 2 release - which is a different story again.
Any amortized bonus (e.g. roster bonus) already paid when the player is cut counts against the cap as well. Nothing like that on Winston's contract though.

That is exactly what I was getting at. So overall in 2013, if we cut Winston that will certainly take all of his money off of the future cap years of 2014 and 2015 as he has no guaranteed money in those years and all of the remaining signing bonus money will be escalated into 2013 - in 2013, we will come away with a total loss (which is base salary minus all remaining signing bonus) of -$1,400,000. Obviously the amount will decrease if we wait until 2014 to cut him as we will have counted 1 portion of the prorated signing bonus in 2013 and only have $4,200,000 escalated signing bonus to count in 2014. So the total would be a total loss of -$300,000.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
I guess when worded like that, if this group of folks has faith in Stephenson, we could cut Winston and save money on next year's cap. But as you said, we then need to fill a roster spot for under .7 million or we are losing money.

We need to keep Winston for 2013. We would lose a total of $1,4000,000 in cap space in order to NOT have him on the roster. I don't think he has been devalued that much based on his performance on the field. Considering Albert is on a franchise tender for 2013, I would not want to cut Winston, have Stephenson slide to RT and hope and pray there aren't any injuries.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
bigballin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One average year does not mean a guy who was once considered one of the best RT's in the league sucks.
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winston isn't going anywhere, at least not this year. The only T leaving could be Albert and that would via trade if that happened but I actually hope we can lock him up long term. Imo he had a great year last year and is still an ascending player.
Chiefer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert isn't going to be traded, Chiefs would be sued if they did that.
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smh
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel2692 wrote:
smh

At...?

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
Rumless

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:

Sued? On what grounds?

In fact, I'm not sure he's better than our very own London Fletcher.[/quote]
Chiefer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumless wrote:
Chiefer wrote:

Sued? On what grounds?

On the grounds of Demaurice Smith from the NFLPA not liking it.

Plus there's rules against franchising somebody just to trade him.
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol they would have absolutely NO GROUNDS for a suit. IF we did trade him it would be because we can not come to terms on a long term deal, he wants out etc. Team owns the rights they can do whatever the hell they want to. Trade him to team "x" with albert and his agent working out a contract in principle with that team etc.

But again I don't want to trade him but if a team came calling it would be possible. Whether or not that team and Albert could come to terms on a long term contract is another story.

Ideal scenario to me is to keep albert, get him locked up eventually and find a sucker wanting to trade up to #1 in the draft lol.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing according to Dorsey, we are indeed trying to re-sign Albert. Because of that, they wouldn't have much ground to stand on for a law suit(appeal really).

^ryknowssd on the sig
Chiefer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel2692 wrote:
lol they would have absolutely NO GROUNDS for a suit. IF we did trade him it would be because we can not come to terms on a long term deal, he wants out etc. Team owns the rights they can do whatever the hell they want to. Trade him to team "x" with albert and his agent working out a contract in principle with that team etc.

But again I don't want to trade him but if a team came calling it would be possible. Whether or not that team and Albert could come to terms on a long term contract is another story.

Ideal scenario to me is to keep albert, get him locked up eventually and find a sucker wanting to trade up to #1 in the draft lol.

Theyd still get sued either way.
Rumless

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
Winston being cut -

Not sure if srs.

Vry srs.

Rumless

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
Rumless wrote:
Chiefer wrote:

Sued? On what grounds?

On the grounds of Demaurice Smith from the NFLPA not liking it.

Plus there's rules against franchising somebody just to trade him.

I don't like a lot of things in the world but doesn't mean I'd start tossing suits at everybody.

I'd think De would like it, considering a player's getting traded to a team that wants him with odds of a long-term contract being high.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: