Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cap discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikek163

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Matt Cassel $9,825,000
Eric Winston $7,000,000
Derrick Johnson $3,500,000
Andy Studebaker $2,055,000

If they were going to make any cuts, the Top 2 are the most logical to me. Followed by Studebaker. I don't see them cutting Johnson but the only reason I have him listed here is his age (30). He provides Leadership and still plays at a very high level. Honestly, of the rest of the list, I don't think they'd make any cuts. I cannot imagine that they will not cut or trade Matt Cassell.

Yeah I think Studebaker is gone, and so is Cassel obviously. Studebaker is a hard worker but it's not like we have young linebackers who need someone to look up too, and even if we did, Tamba or DJ fill that role respectively.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:

Here is a listing of the top 51 contracts for the Chiefs as of right now. I don't have the details for the Dustin Colquitt contract yet and what his total 2013 cap charge is yet so he would bump Matt Szymanski from the list.

I also read that Tyson Jackson can earn a total of $5,200,000 in 2013.

The total amount for the players listed above is $121,554,142 and that includes players like Matt Cassel, Andy Studebaker, and Terrance Copper. This also doesn't take into account the money saved from cutting Kevin Boss and Steve Breaston or any of the reported $14,000,000 we have in 2012 cap rollover.

According to these numbers, cutting Cassel and Studebaker would save us an additional $11,880,000.

Thoughts on the numbers? Does this look right?

Breaston still counts 3 M$, Boss 2.2 M$ against the cap. Dead money.
Cassel when (not if) cut counts 4 M$ against the cap - thus a saving of may be 4.5 M$ or something like that. Total dead money (incl. Cassel) approx. 10 M$ right now - you have to ADD that to the active player cap.

I'll post a spreadsheet somewhere later this or next week.

Last edited by KC_Guy on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
That's if Jackson meets all of his incentives which probably isn't all that likely. Cassel leaving will clear like 5 more, maybe more if he's traded. Gotta think Stud will be cut or his deal will be changed. May also get deal done with Brandon that lowers his salary for this season

RVM,
I was thinking that any incentives (ie liked or unlikely to be earned) do count against the cap in the year they are included. If the player does not reach the incentives I was under the impression that the team is credited the incentive amount in the next league year. I would believe there would be some type of maximum amount attached to this to avoid teams from really abusing this. I don't know the details.

Also, in the case of Matt Cassel and Andy Studebaker, I don't think there would be any escalated cap hit as neither player has any prorated signing bonus so I think their base salaries and roster/workout bonuses would be 100% savings with no cap hits.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Matt Cassel $9,825,000
Eric Winston $7,000,000
Derrick Johnson $3,500,000
Andy Studebaker $2,055,000

If they were going to make any cuts, the Top 2 are the most logical to me. Followed by Studebaker. I don't see them cutting Johnson but the only reason I have him listed here is his age (30). He provides Leadership and still plays at a very high level. Honestly, of the rest of the list, I don't think they'd make any cuts. I cannot imagine that they will not cut or trade Matt Cassell.

Not only will they not cut him, he's still one of the better values in the league...atleast of any player not on his rookie contract.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick snapshot of my spreadsheet. Less than perfect, urgently needs a cleanup.

However, numbers are pretty much up to date.

Bowe & Albert in.

As I don't have a contract breakdown:
Jackson in at 5.2 M$ (+2.5 M$ dead money from his old contract)
Colquitt in at 3.75 M$ (average annual pay)

Cassel ALREADY CONSIDERED CUT!!

Draft Picks & Off-Season pay already incorporated.

Draft pick cap will become effective on draft day (1st year minimum) - full hit only when the contract is signed.
Training camp pay will become effective during camp in weekly increments.
So the Chiefs right now have a 10 M$ buffer and are good to go into the new League year. If they use that buffer they'll need to clear additional cap later in pre-season.

Disclaimer on two contract numbers: Some sites list significantly higher cap numbers for Charles and Johnson - totalling to an additional 2.5 - 3 M$ cap hit.

Have fun!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtGWbgyCD_8gdHVpNjYzb1ZOYXU0UlJBTWFDSmc3c3c#gid=2
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
Quick snapshot of my spreadsheet. Less than perfect, urgently needs a cleanup.

However, numbers are pretty much up to date.

Bowe & Albert in.

As I don't have a contract breakdown:
Jackson in at 5.2 M$ (+2.5 M$ dead money from his old contract)
Colquitt in at 3.75 M$ (average annual pay)

Cassel ALREADY CONSIDERED CUT!!

Draft Picks & Off-Season pay already incorporated.

Draft pick cap will become effective on draft day (1st year minimum) - full hit only when the contract is signed.
Training camp pay will become effective during camp in weekly increments.
So the Chiefs right now have a 10 M$ buffer and are good to go into the new League year. If they use that buffer they'll need to clear additional cap later in pre-season.

Disclaimer on two contract numbers: Some sites list significantly higher cap numbers for Charles and Johnson - totalling to an additional 2.5 - 3 M$ cap hit.

Have fun!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtGWbgyCD_8gdHVpNjYzb1ZOYXU0UlJBTWFDSmc3c3c#gid=2

I haven't looked at it yet (at work), did you include the $14 million in rollover from 2012?

DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he did Nic.

Here is something I find interesting. It's coming from Williams, but has a quote from Dorsey that makes you kind of scratch your head. Then think, clearly we're not done "tweaking." The truth remains, to even be selective we'll have to move some money around.

Quote:
With all of these moves in the books, Dorsey said the team will now “re-assess the salary cap” and prepare for free agency. Dorsey said the Chiefs plan to be “selective” in free agency, but is open to adding some players.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/55574/dorsey-discusses-key-chiefs-moves
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Yes he did Nic.

Here is something I find interesting. It's coming from Williams, but has a quote from Dorsey that makes you kind of scratch your head. Then think, clearly we're not done "tweaking." The truth remains, to even be selective we'll have to move some money around.

Quote:
With all of these moves in the books, Dorsey said the team will now “re-assess the salary cap” and prepare for free agency. Dorsey said the Chiefs plan to be “selective” in free agency, but is open to adding some players.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/55574/dorsey-discusses-key-chiefs-moves

I posted this in another thread so I won't go into this in here, but I think we have some more cap room that some of us are figuring on. Take a look at spotrac.com - it is pretty accurage. They still have the Jackson original cap figure in there, but since we know that is supposedly a max. of $5,200,000 we can plug that in for him. I do not know Colquitt's 2013 cap charge yet, but when I find that out I am going to plug that in too. The spotrac.com already has Alex Smith assigned to us....still includes Matt Cassels contract....has the Dwayne Bowe extension.....and the Branden Albert franchise number.

KC_Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:
Yes he did Nic.

Quote:

I posted this in another thread so I won't go into this in here, but I think we have some more cap room that some of us are figuring on. Take a look at spotrac.com - it is pretty accurage. They still have the Jackson original cap figure in there, but since we know that is supposedly a max. of $5,200,000 we can plug that in for him. I do not know Colquitt's 2013 cap charge yet, but when I find that out I am going to plug that in too. The spotrac.com already has Alex Smith assigned to us....still includes Matt Cassels contract....has the Dwayne Bowe extension.....and the Branden Albert franchise number.

plus 12 M$ in dead money (Jackson & Cassel included)
plus 5 M$ in Off-season pay
plus 5 M$ for draft picks
plus 1 M$ for the practice squad

The spreadsheet assumes 3.75 M$for Colquitt (average pay through his contract). May be a bit less.
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackson re-structured, how would he add any dead money?

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now that Albert is under the franchise tag, what happens if we get him signed to an extension before March 12th? How about after March 12th? Is there any difference there? How about before or after June 1st? Will we have any cap hits as a result? Any dead money? I literally have no clue when it comes to this cap stuff.

If it wouldn't result in cap hits & penalties of any kind, it would make a TON of sense for Dorsey to keep working diligently to get Albert locked up long term to free up the cap space this year. That would allow us to be much more flexible in free agency, thus allowing us to truly go BPA in the draft like Dorsey likes to do as well. Either that, or trade Albert...but that's probably not the wisest decision with Winston gone now.

I was originally a fan of franchising Albert and letting him walk after the year "lease" since we had Stephenson to develop behind him. With Winston gone now, though, I think I've changed that thought process. Still not quite sure yet. I'm still running through scenarios in my mind. If we extend Albert and it doesn't result in cap hits, it would simplify a lot of things as long as we're smart about his ending cap figure for this year.

Hmm. Decisions, decisions...

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:

He still had 2.5 M$ in prorated cap on his old contract. Call it carry-over or dead money - the result is the same.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:

He still had 2.5 M$ in prorated cap on his old contract. Call it carry-over or dead money - the result is the same.

But couldn't they have converted that to guaranteed salary, essentially a base salary portion and then add in escalator incentive bonuses based on playing time/performance, etc.?

Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
KC_Guy wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:

But couldn't they have converted that to guaranteed salary, essentially a base salary portion and then add in escalator incentive bonuses based on playing time/performance, etc.?

may have to look into this cause people on twitter saying KC has no cap problems right now, where KC_Guy is saying we're pretty darn close. I'm not sure what to believe at this point.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid confusion I've re-done the team overview table to represent the various periods of pre-season up to week one of the regular season.

The Chiefs must be under the cap by the start of the new League Year (11 March, 3:00 PM CT) and remain under the cap throughout the year.

Right now the Chiefs have about 7.2 M$ left (with Cassel still on board, Robinson not accounted for yet). However, as more players are signed (e.g. the draft picks, for whom I've added last year's numbers as an order of magnitude) that buffer vanishes rapidly. As you can see: even if the Chiefs from now on only sign their draft choices they will be OVER the cap when the season kicks in.

Releasing Cassel will clear about 5 M$, which will get them to the break even point. Any other signing will require some additional cap room manouever.

Have fun!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: