Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jackson is going to stay
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
simonwayne wrote:
It just feels kind of good for our team to have to worry about working within the cap and not going over instead of us just having the usual 30M in cap space going unspent.

Chiefs spent more than the cap last season.

Sssshhhhh, you'll destroy the preconception.

^ryknowssd on the sig
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels good to be making moves, and to be active and seemingly paying players who DESERVE to stay with KC. But yeah, it's not like we didn't spend ANY money last year.

I still think we could see Smith come in, and sign an extension that moves money around. I don't know why, but I feel like Reid can convince him,

A. Clearly we're committed
B. The more he clears, the more active this team can be
C. Look, we signed your main target, franchised your main protector, not help us out.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are the details of the Tyson Jackson restructure according to Profootballtalk.com. I was thinking that the remaining signing bonus (if there were any not dealt with in Pioli's restructure) would be converted into guaranteed money for 2013 or basically a guaranteed base salary portion. I might be right as $4,000,000 of his 2013 base salary is guaranteed. With a $500,000 workout bonus being almost guaranteed that he will get along with another $500,000 tied to playing in 50% or more of the defensive snaps which IMO is a very likely to be earned incentive, I think it is safe to say he is going to get the full $5,200,000 amount in 2013.

Quote:
Jackson recently re-did his deal to stay in Kansas City. The initial reports of a new contract omitted the details.

Here they are, per a league source with knowledge of the contract.

Jackson is due to earn a base salary of $4.2 million. Of that amount, $4 million is fully guaranteed for skill, injury, and salary cap.

The one-year deal also includes a $500,000 workout bonus, and an incentive that will pay another $500,000 if he participates in at least 50 percent of the snaps on defense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/07/tyson-jackon-can-make-up-to-5-2-million/

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Mongo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even $5.2M is too much. I'd have preferred they cut him.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:

Why so we are then forced into drafting a DE at #1, making us less flexible and also paying an unproven player even more than 5.2 million?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:

I am really surprised that Jackson ended up restructuring for the amount he did considering he could have played hardball and figured that he would have made alot more than $5,200,000 (likely via signing bonus, etc.) on the open market on a long term contract. I don't have a problem with Jackson making that amount, and it gives us the added flexibility of moving on next year with no cap hit. I would have thought he would have wanted to spread money over a two or three year contract or something like that.

Mongo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
Why so we are then forced into drafting a DE at #1, making us less flexible and also paying an unproven player even more than 5.2 million?

It rather have an “unproven” player than a proven flop like Tyson Jackson. There’s also the free agent route. I’d also like to see what Allen Bailey might do in an expanded role.

I know many think Tyson Jackson has progressed. He has, but not beyond the point of being a C- 34LE at best.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you asked me whether to keep Jackson or Winston - I'd probably keep Winston.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC I agree, and there are fewer people who are more critical of Jackson than me. But he's gotten better, even in the second half of last year. Now he agreed to play for much less when he could easily have probably been at his highest point sense entering the league.

I no longer consider Jackson a flop, the fact that he doesn't rack up sacks is much more to do with our defensive scheme than him not being able to. I think we saw in the second half of the year he can do it.

I'm ok with keeping Tyson, and I'm VERY interested to see what he can do this year in a different scheme. Plus if he doesn't continue to progress we can be done with him, rather than having a 4 year contract with an unproven player making more than he is.
odendin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
Here's what I posted in the NFL Gen:

Quote:
It seems like every move the Chiefs have made has had a domino effect. Trading for Smith was a big part in getting Bowe to resign. Getting Bowe to resign allowed us to tag Albert. These two moves have given us less cap space and put pressure on Tyson Jackson to restructure or be cut. If we let both walk he knows he doesn't have to restructure because we'd still have the cap room to keep him. And now multiple Chiefs players have already talked on Twitter about how huge these resigning were for our team, showing that they are buying into the new management and coaches.

Really excited about all of our moves so far. Just another move that allows us to go BPA in the draft.

+1
Exactly. Well said.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Mongo wrote:

I am really surprised that Jackson ended up restructuring for the amount he did considering he could have played hardball and figured that he would have made alot more than $5,200,000 (likely via signing bonus, etc.) on the open market on a long term contract. I don't have a problem with Jackson making that amount, and it gives us the added flexibility of moving on next year with no cap hit. I would have thought he would have wanted to spread money over a two or three year contract or something like that.

You really think so? I don't.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
Mongo wrote:

You really think so? I don't.

He could have had a larger overall contract with more guaranteed overall. I could easily have seen him get a 3 yr deal worth $15MM and $7-8 of that guaranteed.

IMO, his motivation to stay on a one year deal is to get a chance to play in a one gap scheme, and show some versatility. If he can snag say 6-7 sacks, IMO not outside the realm of possibility, he could easily get a longer deal in the $5-7MM/year range, with even more guaranteed.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Mongo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish I could like TJ. I'm biased. His drafting offended me. It was a gross reach.

But he's never lived up to it. I'd really like to cast him out with the rubbish of the past regime.

Tyson Jackson is not a 5.2M/yr player. He's poop. Just end it.

Best wishes to him. I rate him similarly to Matt Cassel...

...Guys that I never, ever want to see in a Chiefs uniform ever, never, ever again.
kcstomp63

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
I really wish I could like TJ. I'm biased. His drafting offended me. It was a gross reach.

But he's never lived up to it. I'd really like to cast him out with the rubbish of the past regime.

...Guys that I never, ever want to see in a Chiefs uniform ever, never, ever again.

Agreed that they reached way too high on TJax and that he hasn't lived up.

However, we are losing Dorsey to FA already, so it would just be too much to replace if we cut him loose too. He is solid against the run, and improved his pass rush although it is still very average.

Thanks to LOTO for the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcstomp63 wrote:
Mongo wrote:

Agreed that they reached way too high on TJax and that he hasn't lived up.

However, we are losing Dorsey to FA already, so it would just be too much to replace if we cut him loose too. He is solid against the run, and improved his pass rush although it is still very average.

I definitely have been one of the biggest Jackson detractors from the very moment the pick was announced. That being said, I do agree with the idea that IF we weren't going to completely rebuilt the front line, specifically at defensive end, I wasn't opposed to restructuring Jackson for a substantial reduction in salary. The thing is, I didn't think he would do it - so I was surprised. The key is the 1 year deal, which is a coup for the organization.

He is a solid run defender to be sure. I do think that his "pass rush" is actually below average, or what they call in baseball, "replacement level". IMO alot of Jackson's pressure, and an increasing amount of Hali's as well seems to come when the secondary handles their coverage assignments well...the push has value in that situation but I would have liked to have seen Jackson get more of a push immediately.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: