Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Which 3 players would help most?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
b_rent87


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 2294
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd
Rhodes
Austin
_________________


Props to Jamison on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
AntiSuperstar


Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Posts: 4444
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1234567 wrote:
Yea, I don't think I would spend a top 15 pick on him. I guess I'd be OK with him at 28 though, since that's at the back end of the first round anyways, and our interior line is weak. Thing is, we already have a one-dimensional mauler in Franklin. If we wanted to go that route, we'd be better off getting a good OT, and moving Franklin inside. He might have to shed a bit of weight, as he's pretty slow on his feet. Seems like I remember him playing guard some in college though? Might not be that hard of a transition.


Frankly I think referring to Orlando Franklin as a "mauler," which Broncos fans have been doing since we drafted him, is a bit of hyperbole. Franklin is a "mauler" only in theory, not so much on the field.
_________________
Stop slobbering over Brian Dawkins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5083
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
1234567 wrote:
Yea, I don't think I would spend a top 15 pick on him. I guess I'd be OK with him at 28 though, since that's at the back end of the first round anyways, and our interior line is weak. Thing is, we already have a one-dimensional mauler in Franklin. If we wanted to go that route, we'd be better off getting a good OT, and moving Franklin inside. He might have to shed a bit of weight, as he's pretty slow on his feet. Seems like I remember him playing guard some in college though? Might not be that hard of a transition.


Frankly I think referring to Orlando Franklin as a "mauler," which Broncos fans have been doing since we drafted him, is a bit of hyperbole. Franklin is a "mauler" only in theory, not so much on the field.


Thank you!! At Rt, he's just not. He's a bit slow to try to unload on a moving target. He's got the size, but in space he can't do it. I would like to see him in a phone booth though. Could be a much different situation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AntiSuperstar


Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Posts: 4444
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Thank you!! At Rt, he's just not. He's a bit slow to try to unload on a moving target. He's got the size, but in space he can't do it. I would like to see him in a phone booth though. Could be a much different situation.


Yeah, he also gets a slow start off the line sometimes. I'm not saying Franklin is a bad run blocker or anything, he's moderately effective, but this notion that he's a dominant player in the running game isn't something I'm seeing at all. Not even close. I think that's what people expected Franklin to be coming out and they have basically assumed that to be the case.

Clady is a much better run blocker. Honestly if instead of the Ramirez/Kuper combo we have at Right Guard we had Zane Beadles there instead, I expect we would struggle to run on the right side.
_________________
Stop slobbering over Brian Dawkins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1234567


Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Posts: 762
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
1234567 wrote:
Yea, I don't think I would spend a top 15 pick on him. I guess I'd be OK with him at 28 though, since that's at the back end of the first round anyways, and our interior line is weak. Thing is, we already have a one-dimensional mauler in Franklin. If we wanted to go that route, we'd be better off getting a good OT, and moving Franklin inside. He might have to shed a bit of weight, as he's pretty slow on his feet. Seems like I remember him playing guard some in college though? Might not be that hard of a transition.


Frankly I think referring to Orlando Franklin as a "mauler," which Broncos fans have been doing since we drafted him, is a bit of hyperbole. Franklin is a "mauler" only in theory, not so much on the field.


Well, I have to agree partially (which I hate doing, cause "frankly", I think you're an @sshole Smile ), last season he didn't do much. BUT, while he had struggles the year before as well, I DO remember seeing him routinely destroying people 5-8 yards down field. And by routinely, we're talkin maybe a couple noticeable times per game. More than I saw with any of our other linemen, and enough that I definitely noticed when he stopped doing it this year. At least for me, this is where the "mauler" label came from. If this trend continues, then yea I'll have to recant that description. As AKRNA said, I would like to see him in a phone booth. Maybe a few pounds lighter as well; might quicken him up a bit.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rhuston


Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 270
Location: valdez ak
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more!!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lomaxgr


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 20970
Location: Manchester, England
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Thank you!! At Rt, he's just not. He's a bit slow to try to unload on a moving target. He's got the size, but in space he can't do it. I would like to see him in a phone booth though. Could be a much different situation.


Yeah, he also gets a slow start off the line sometimes. I'm not saying Franklin is a bad run blocker or anything, he's moderately effective, but this notion that he's a dominant player in the running game isn't something I'm seeing at all. Not even close. I think that's what people expected Franklin to be coming out and they have basically assumed that to be the case.

Clady is a much better run blocker. Honestly if instead of the Ramirez/Kuper combo we have at Right Guard we had Zane Beadles there instead, I expect we would struggle to run on the right side.


Out of interest, did you like Ramirez too on tape? I thought as the year went on he was actually really impressive. So much so that I thought Chris Kuper's job may well be in danger if/when healthy.
_________________


MUFC OK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AntiSuperstar


Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Posts: 4444
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
Out of interest, did you like Ramirez too on tape? I thought as the year went on he was actually really impressive. So much so that I thought Chris Kuper's job may well be in danger if/when healthy.


I like Ramirez as a physical run blocking type, that's pretty much been my impression of him since last pre-season. He's not Mike Iupati or anything but the guy is definately above average as a straight up blocker and I think he has a little mean streak as well. He's easily our most physical guard. As a pass blocker I think he struggles to move his feet and change direction. But he's also still young so we'll see how he develops. At worst he's a solid backup.

Speaking of dominant run blocking Right Tackles though, while I don't consider Franklin one, Mike Adams of the Steelers, who I wanted, already looked like one in his brief time at Right Tackle last year. That guy can run block. He's very raw and he's worse at pass blocking than Franklin but with his quick feet, Mike Adams has some insane potential. I kind of wish we had traded up a spot and drafted him.
_________________
Stop slobbering over Brian Dawkins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group