Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason Discussion: Free Agents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
The nice part about TE is because of positional value the contract is going to be significantly smaller than OT.

The Bears could sign the best TE on the market [Cook] for 5-6 million instead of paying the best OT [Albert] 10 million. TE might be the best use of the Bears limited free agent resources.
I think we're in a good position where we can just bring in FAs that bring the best bang for the buck.
JPeppers90

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
The nice part about TE is because of positional value the contract is going to be significantly smaller than OT.

The Bears could sign the best TE on the market [Cook] for 5-6 million instead of paying the best OT [Albert] 10 million. TE might be the best use of the Bears limited free agent resources.

If you can sign Albert, you do so. Much easier to strike gold in the draft at TE than it is to find a franchise LT... There's always that risk when drafting your "future" LT. Always.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I think we're in a good position where we can just bring in FAs that bring the best bang for the buck.

I agree.

Cook upgrades a big weakness, with a young ascending player and we do not need to commit 50 million to him.

We could add a 2nd tier OLmen.

And then draft Ol and LB
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preparing to be Disappointed in Free Agency

I have been thinking about, obsessing over and stewing about the upcoming free agent period for weeks now and finally last night I think I finally came to the conclusion about what we are going to do.

I believe that most Bears fans are going to be a little disappointed about what happens in free agency. I do not think that we are going to sign anyone that is really going to excite people.

I think we are going to sign 2-3 competent starters to fix the OL, TE and maybe LB positions. But I think Jermon Bushrod will be the best name we hear, that is if we even hear a name that highly ranked.

I am expecting names like OT, King Dunlap, Ryan Harris and at OG, Donald Thomas, Geoff Schwartz and Matt Slauson at LB Daryl Smith or Phillip Wheeler. I am expecting this for a couple of reasons.

1. Emery was brought in to build the team through the draft and while the OL needs some vet upgrades I think a majority of the stars will come from the draft.

2. Cap space is limited after the Henry Melton franchise tag the Bears would need to re do a ton of deals to be very active in free agency. With Peppers still on the books and Cutler coming up I do not know if the Bears want to be playing backload the deal with everyone on the roster.

I just do not see us making much of a splash unless a Brandon Marshall type deal that you cannot say NO to appears.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its silly to prepare for anything because we dont have a huge amount of data to go on regarding Emery. Lets wait until free agency hits before we start all the doom and gloom.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert got tagged

WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I could see happening,

OT King Dunlap 4 years 14 million/5 guaranteed

Year 1: 1 million salary/1 million signing bonus [2]
Year 2: 2 million salary/1 million signing bonus [3]
Year 3: 2 million salary/1 million signing bonus/1 million roster bonus [4]
Year 4: 4 million salary/1 million signing bonus [5]

He is a solid LT that has held up in a pass happy offense with a QB that holds the ball way too long. For those of you who like the PFF stats Dunlap was the 15th ranked LT, 13 spots higher than Webb, and his grade of 6 was 5 higher than Bushrod. Dunlap is big [6'9" 330lbs], long and he has decent pass protection technique and he can push Webb to RT. He is not great, but he is much better than Carimi/Scott and gives the Bears 2 solid OTs for almost NO money invested.

OG Geoff Schwartz 4 years 12 million/5 guaranteed

Year 1: 1 million salary/1 million signing bonus [2]
Year 2: 1 million salary/1 million signing bonus [2]
Year 3: 2 million salary/1 million signing bonus/1 million roster bonus [4]
Year 4: 3 million salary/1 million signing bonus [5]

The Bears need someone who can play at LG, but does not limit them from developing James Brown or drafting someone who falls to them. Schwartz is a solid OG who can start, but is not getting paid enough or is good enough to not also be a back up. At 6'6" 340lbs with experience at OT Schwartz fits the bill of what the Bears are looking for on the interior. Again he is cheaper than other options.

LB Jonathan Casillas 3 years 7.5 million/3 guaranteed

Year 1: .5 million salary/1 million signing bonus [1.5]
Year 2: 2 million salary/1 million signing bonus [3]
Year 3: 2 million salary/1 million signing bonus [3]

A fast, physical player that can come in and start at SLB and allow Roach and a rookie to work at MLB. Casillas can cover and he is a core special teams player that adds depth for the Bears.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
I think its silly to prepare for anything because we dont have a huge amount of data to go on regarding Emery. Lets wait until free agency hits before we start all the doom and gloom.

It is not doom and gloom.

I just think we are going to look for well scouted value players over top rated guys.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

It is not doom and gloom.

I just think we are going to look for well scouted value players over top rated guys.

We'll fined out. There are plenty of directions to go in.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael C Wright Chat

Jermon Bushrod (New Orleans)

Where are the nice neighborhoods to live in Chicago? Are they a close commute to Halas Hall?
Michael
(2:22 PM)

Doesn't matter. A prominent decision maker in the Saints organization told me the plan was to bring you back "at the right price." That right price is probably more than what the Bears will be able to pay.
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Michael C Wright Chat

Jermon Bushrod (New Orleans)

Where are the nice neighborhoods to live in Chicago? Are they a close commute to Halas Hall?
Michael
(2:22 PM)

Doesn't matter. A prominent decision maker in the Saints organization told me the plan was to bring you back "at the right price." That right price is probably more than what the Bears will be able to pay.
Im fine with that. I really dont want to overpay this guy.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not concerned about the Tackles - I didn't figure the Bears were looking to be that kind of spender in FA anyways. I expect we'll invest in the interior of the line in Draft/FA and go with what we've already got on the outside.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the likelihood we can get Vasquez for 5 and Cook for 6? That would be a solid free agency without breaking the bank.
SOCalBearsFan54

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chisoxguy7 wrote:
What's the likelihood we can get Vasquez for 5 and Cook for 6? That would be a solid free agency without breaking the bank.

Rotoworld wrote:
The Chargers have identified free agent LG Louis Vasquez as their "top priority" to re-sign and will make him a contract offer "shortly."
The Chargers arrived in Indianapolis on Wednesday, and on Thursday night met with Vasquez's player rep. Vasquez is believed to be seeking $6 million annually. Turning 26 in April, Vasquez would be a hot commodity if he hit the open market.

6 million a year doesn't seem like breaking the bank to me to get a young solid guard.

2014 Adopt a Bear: WR Brandon Marshall #15
Rec- Yards- TDs- Yac-
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are the RFA tenders due? Was that today too?

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 53 of 67

Jump to: