Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears cap talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7704
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bears cap talk Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Here's a thread where we can track exactly where we are at.

W/ Melton being franchised the Bears currently have $4.5M in cap space available.

Here's an article on some things to expect to see the Bears clear more cap space over the next week

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/18545685-606/bears-have-several-ways-they-can-create-salary-cap-room.html

Quote:
Another option many teams are employing is asking veterans to take pay cuts or threatening them with their release. Bears with relatively high salaries include tight end Kellen Davis ($2.5 million in cap savings), receiver Devin Hester ($2.4 million), receiver Earl Bennett ($2.35 million) and tight end Matt Spaeth ($1.6 million).


And a link to a list of the Bears 2013 Cap Hits as of 2/28/2013

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/cap-hit/
There is still a lot of misunderstanding, and misinformation out there about the cap. Last night the SCORE after midnight guy was going on and on about how the franchising of Melton has taken all the Bears cap. Not Les Grobstein but the Friday night guy replacing him. I have yet to hear anyone on the sports babble shows describe the Bears situation the same way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9296
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap Room Right Now: 12.9 million

Cuts: 7.32 million

Devin Hester [1.85]
Kellen Davis [2.4]
Matt Spaeth [1.02]
Roberto Garza [2.05]

Restructures: 15 million

WR Brandon Marshall [6 million saved]

Original Deal: 2 year 18 million
New Deal: 4 years 44 million/30 guaranteed [11 million a season like other top WRs]
Total Contract: 6 years 62 million/30 guaranteed [44 million in new money, 30 million in new guarantees]

Year 1 Original Deal [2013]: 1 million salary/2 guaranteed [3]
Year 2 Original Deal [2014]: 5 million salary/4 million guaranteed [9]
Year 3: 6 million salary/ 7 million guaranteed [13]
Year 4: 6 million salary/ 7 million guaranteed [13]
Year 5: 6 million salary/ 7 million guaranteed [13]
Year 6: 9 million salary/ 3 million guaranteed [12] Probably Released, also low bonus space for restructuring.

CB Charles Tillman [5 million saved]

Original Deal: 1 year 8 million
New Money: 3 years 21 million/15 guaranteed [7.25 average salary]
Total Contract 4 years 29 million/15 guaranteed

Year 1 Original Deal [2013]: 1 million salary/2 guaranteed [3]
Year 2: 3 million salary/ 5 million guaranteed [8]
Year 3: 4 million salary/ 5 million guaranteed [9]
Year 4: 6 million salary/ 3 million guaranteed [9] Can be cut for a 5 million savings.

DE Julius Peppers

Original Deal: 3 years/38,484,300/9.75 guaranteed

Year 1: 8.9 million salary/3.183 million guaranteed [12.083] [Save 4 million]

*Released taking a 10 million dollar cap hit, but with a 9 million dollar savings.

Year 2: 13.9 million salary/5.183 million guaranteed [19.083]
Year 3: 16.5 million salary/5.183 million guaranteed [21.683]

35.22

Re-signings: 22.85

1. Henry Melton [8.45]
2. Brian Urlacher [4]
3. Lance Louis [2.5]
4. Nick Roach [2]
5. Israel Idonije [2.5]
6. Jon Scott [1]
7. Nate Collins [.7]
8. Armando Allen [.7]
9. Kalvin Hayden [1]

Rookie Pool: 4 million

Emergency Pool: 2 million

28.85

35.22-28.85=6.37

Free Agent Budget: 6.37 million
_________________
WindyCity "He will start week 1 because while he is raw he is shockingly athletic and can pass block. Long is a bigger risk than Cooper and Warmack, but I think he has just as high a ceiling."


Last edited by WindyCity on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9296
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can afford to make a run at a top OT if we are committed to filling holes in the draft.

Branden Albert 5 years 42.5 million/22 guaranteed/15 signing bonus

Year 1: 2 million salary/3 million signing bonus [5]
Year 2: 3 million salary/3 million signing bonus/2 million roster bonus [8] Peppers Gone
Year 3: 3 million salary/3 million signing bonus/3 million roster bonus [9]
Cap Increase
Year 4: 5.5/3 million signing bonus/2 million roster bonus [10.5]
Year 5: 7 million salary/3 million signing bonus [10] Restructure Space
_________________
WindyCity "He will start week 1 because while he is raw he is shockingly athletic and can pass block. Long is a bigger risk than Cooper and Warmack, but I think he has just as high a ceiling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 18213
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sportrac is now updated w/ Melton's franchise tender.

I'm not sure if Melton has signed the tender or not yet however b/c I can't find any news on it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/cap-hit/
_________________

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CBears019


Moderator
Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 16158
Location: Iowa City, IA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Sportrac is now updated w/ Melton's franchise tender.

I'm not sure if Melton has signed the tender or not yet however b/c I can't find any news on it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/cap-hit/


I don't think he has, I thought I read that he was on vacation so it won't get signed until he gets back at the earliest.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear: Robbie Gould, K

FG: 25/28 XP: 41/42 LNG: 58 Yards

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 18213
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Sportrac is now updated w/ Melton's franchise tender.

I'm not sure if Melton has signed the tender or not yet however b/c I can't find any news on it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/cap-hit/


I don't think he has, I thought I read that he was on vacation so it won't get signed until he gets back at the earliest.
I'd imagine they would want to wait until after the first round of FA b/c until he signs that tender it doesn't count against the cap.
_________________

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mudderfudder77


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 1792
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Sportrac is now updated w/ Melton's franchise tender.

I'm not sure if Melton has signed the tender or not yet however b/c I can't find any news on it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/cap-hit/


I don't think he has, I thought I read that he was on vacation so it won't get signed until he gets back at the earliest.
I'd imagine they would want to wait until after the first round of FA b/c until he signs that tender it doesn't count against the cap.


I don't think there is any reason for Melton to sign it before the 15th. I guess, conceivably, the Bears could rescind it - or Melton could suffer a catastrophic injury - but otherwise what is the value in Melton signing the tender? Might as well keep his options open and continue negotiating towards a long term deal.
_________________


Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

PFF Grade through Regular-Season Game 3: 2.7 (20th in NFL) Highest rated rookie OL

Highest rated OL in the Pre-Season
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Landru


Joined: 12 Feb 2013
Posts: 168
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Biggs thinks it's unlikely Peppers gets restructured.

Brad Biggs wrote:

The Chicago Bears already have restructured the contract of Julius Peppers once, and that's a primary reason the club may look for other ways to create additional cap space for 2013.
...
The Bears have done a good job of avoiding a lot of dead money against their cap since Cliff Stein was hired as contract negotiator in 2002 and they’ve followed what former Green Bay Packers cap manager Andrew Brandt calls the “pay as you go” model, meaning you try to avoid restructures that push this year’s cap issues into future issues.


http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-chicago-bears-julius-peppers-20130304,0,636939.story?track=rss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Los Osos


Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 511
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landru wrote:
Brad Biggs thinks it's unlikely Peppers gets restructured.

Brad Biggs wrote:

The Chicago Bears already have restructured the contract of Julius Peppers once, and that's a primary reason the club may look for other ways to create additional cap space for 2013.
...
The Bears have done a good job of avoiding a lot of dead money against their cap since Cliff Stein was hired as contract negotiator in 2002 and they’ve followed what former Green Bay Packers cap manager Andrew Brandt calls the “pay as you go” model, meaning you try to avoid restructures that push this year’s cap issues into future issues.


http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-chicago-bears-julius-peppers-20130304,0,636939.story?track=rss


This was exactly my point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group