Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos place franchise tag on OT Ryan Clady

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Broncos place franchise tag on OT Ryan Clady Reply with quote

Quote:
Broncos officially placed franchise tag on OT Ryan Clady.

www.twitter.com/AdamSchefter

No shock here. Now let's get that deal hammered out.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jup, the tag was a formality. And given his recent shoulder injury/surgery, I think that Clady understands the move.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
elliot878

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Jup, the tag was a formality. And given his recent shoulder injury/surgery, I think that Clady understands the move.

Prob gonna have to play a portion of, if not all, the season under the tag. No problem with it since he's actually worth the tag amount, might be a discount for a year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little suprized it was the non exclusive tag. The Broncos traded two firsts for Gary Zimmerman, I wouldn't be shocked if another team made a run at him and surrendered two firsts for Clady.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncostrings wrote:
I was a little suprized it was the non exclusive tag. The Broncos traded two firsts for Gary Zimmerman, I wouldn't be shocked if another team made a run at him and surrendered two firsts for Clady.

Two firsts? Shocked

There are a couple of premier OTs in this draft. Just saying.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Winder23

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually not a good situation right now. Clady is upset with the designation and has said he will not sign his tender. This will have him missing all offseason actvities and will keep him away from the facility and team doctors. Coming off the surgery gives me some concern.

If a team signed him to an offer sheet I would be estatic to get two firsts in return. It won't happen though. The Broncos would surely match any offer on the table unless it was ridiculously high.
broncos67

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
This is actually not a good situation right now. Clady is upset with the designation and has said he will not sign his tender. This will have him missing all offseason actvities and will keep him away from the facility and team doctors. Coming off the surgery gives me some concern.

If a team signed him to an offer sheet I would be estatic to get two firsts in return. It won't happen though. The Broncos would surely match any offer on the table unless it was ridiculously high.

Where did you see he's unhappy? Last I saw he said he understood this is the part of the game and he was confident they'd get a deal worked out.

Thanks, Tzimisce
Donut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncostrings wrote:

I would Clady is not worth 2 firsts.
BroncoinGermany wrote:

I can't see him getting upset since they're working on a deal.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this is just to bridge the gap for a few months while a long-term deal gets worked out. Players, even ones like Clady are the epitome of professionalism, are resentful of getting the tag. From Clady's perspective, he's played at high and played through injuries to get his big pay day, now the team for whom he has given so much of himself is not reciprocating. I understand it's business, and I'm all sides do, but Elway would be wise to keep one of the team's most important players happy.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Winder23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:

Where did you see he's unhappy? Last I saw he said he understood this is the part of the game and he was confident they'd get a deal worked out.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21792480/broncos-place-franchise-tag-on-ryan-clady
elliot878

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I hope this is just to bridge the gap for a few months while a long-term deal gets worked out. Players, even ones like Clady are the epitome of professionalism, are resentful of getting the tag. From Clady's perspective, he's played at high and played through injuries to get his big pay day, now the team for whom he has given so much of himself is not reciprocating. I understand it's business, and I'm all sides do, but Elway would be wise to keep one of the team's most important players happy.

I would like the deal to come a few weeks after he's proved he can play up to his standards coming off the shoulder surgery. Lot of GM's, and players don't like to negotiate during the season though, so I can see where it could be pushed til Feb 2014.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:

I would like the deal to come a few weeks after he's proved he can play up to his standards coming off the shoulder surgery. Lot of GM's, and players don't like to negotiate during the season though, so I can see where it could be pushed til Feb 2014.
He will get tagged again next year if they have to. They aren't going to give him Joe Thomas money and I doubt that they budge much off the 5 for 50 offered last year. We essentially can have him for 2 more years at roughly 20 million dollars.

I think Clady wants more than the Broncos are willing to give. Now with surgery it becomes even more complicated. He should have taken the deal the first time around. It was a fair offer in my mind, but I will never blame anyone for asking for more. On the flip side I was always taught to not bite the hand that feeds you.
Donut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21792480/broncos-place-franchise-tag-on-ryan-clady

Vince Wilfork did the same thing after he got tagged. He was calling ti before slap in the face and how insulted he'd be. He was still totally cool about it when he got his contract. No one likes the franchise tag and if they're in a situation like Asante Samuel or Jared Allen where they aren't getting the money in an extension offer.
Winder23 wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:

He will get tagged again next year if they have to. They aren't going to give him Joe Thomas money and I doubt that they budge much off the 5 for 50 offered last year. We essentially can have him for 2 more years at roughly 20 million dollars.

I think Clady wants more than the Broncos are willing to give. Now with surgery it becomes even more complicated. He should have taken the deal the first time around. It was a fair offer in my mind, but I will never blame anyone for asking for more. On the flip side I was always taught to not bite the hand that feeds you.

Unless he refuses to play. He could always just sign for last 9 games and play. It'll be interesting what happens but he isnt going to accept being tagged 2 yrs straight when he has had injuries and needs security.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they tag him two straight years he will walk no matter how much we offer him or someone else offers him. That'd be a crappy way to treat a first class person and first class player. I'd hope Elway is better than that.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
elliot878

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
If they tag him two straight years he will walk no matter how much we offer him or someone else offers him. That'd be a crappy way to treat a first class person and first class player. I'd hope Elway is better than that.

Clady's got the leverage here. Really don't see the shoulder being a problem. If he sits out games, and we're lost at LT (which we would be), you know Elway cracks. Lets just hope it doesn't come down to that, I don't think it will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: