Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BeeperKing's Detailed Mock Offseason

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BeeperKing


Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Posts: 4369
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: BeeperKing's Detailed Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Atlanta Falcons Mock Offseason:
Sorry for any mistakes on the cap stuff. Not my speciality.

Cuts:
RB Michael Turner
DE John Abraham
CB Dunta Robinson
DT Peria Jerry ($905k savings)

Retirements:
TE Tony Gonzalez
C Todd McClure
LB Mike Peterson

Franchise Tag:
SS William Moore: 1 yr, $6.9 million ($6.9 million cap hit)

Moore needs to stay with the Falcons, but heís going to gain a lot of interest on the open market. The tag is really steep, but I have faith in Moore eventually signing a long-term, cap-friendly deal.

Re-Signs:
LT Sam Baker: 5yrs, $35 million ($3.5 million cap hit)

Baker gets a deal similar to the one Will Beatty just signed with the Giants. Iím a bit nervous giving Baker this deal, given his injury history, but there are only so many franchise left tackles, and we have to keep the one we have.

CB Brent Grimes: 4yrs, $24 million ($3.5 million cap hit)

With the Dunta cut, Grimes is now resigned. $6 million/year may sound low, but heís coming off of a major injury, and Iíd be too afraid to risk anything more.

Previous Cap Space: $22,556,651
New Cap Space: $8,656, 651

Free Agency:
G Brandon Moore, New York Jets: 1yr, $1 million ($1 million cap hit)

With Mcclure retiring and Konz moving to center, we have a need at RG. Moore isnít great, but heíll get it done for a year, and then we can draft another guy. Heís spent his whole career in the circus that is the Jets, and Iím sure heíd be happy to move to the more stable Falcons.

RB Kevin Smith, Detroit Lions: 1 yr, $715,000 ($715,000 cap hit)

This isnít the veteran running back most of you had in mind, but Steven Jackson is probably going to be too expensive for us. I also donít think he has much left to offer, and would probably be a waste of our time. Smith is only 26, and showed some promise while subbing for Best and Leshoure. Heís injury prone, but I donít see that as a huge problem for a stopgap back. He can split carries with Quizz until our rookie back is ready.


DE Dwight Freeney, Indianapolis Colts: 3yrs, $20 million ($4 million hit)

Now hereís the crown jewel of our offseason. Freeney is looking to play for a contender and is a perfect fit in our defense. He has no competition, so could be on the field for all three down, unlike he could in Denver. We have nothing at DE, and canít start 2 rookies for a championship caliber team.

Previous Cap Space: $8,656, 651
New Cap Space: $3,941,651

Draft:

1 (30): Alex Okofar, DE, Texas

Damontre Moore is rapidly falling down draft boards, but I donít think he falls to 30. Okofar is a safe prospect that can start instantly. We need difference makers at DE, and now weíve found two. I donít think his arrest is a major concern, and I think TD will look past it.
Other Possibilities: DE Damontre Moore, OLB Arthur Brown, and DT Jesse Williams

2 (61): Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers

Our biggest weakness in the playoffs was our inability to cover tight ends. Greene is made for doing this, and is an excellent fit in the 4-3. Him and Logan Ryan were the Rutgers defense and single handedly kept them in games.
Other Possibilities: TE Gavin Escobar, RB Eddie Lacy, OT Dallas Thomas

3 (93): Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado

This pick came down to Kasa and Travis Kelece. Kelece looks like heís going to be a pretty average tight end in the NFL, but Kasa could be really special. A one-year starter converted from DE, Kasa made some big plays despite shaky quarterback play, and is a really good blocker. Heís still developing, but has unlimited upside. He has several known fans, including Chip Kelly.
Other Possibilities: TE Travis Kelece

4: Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida

Watch the Florida vs. LSU game and you will see the exact type of running back that we are looking for. Gillislee is the type of back that bails out the offense in tough situations, something we could have used in the playoffs. Heís not AP, but we donít need an AP type of back. He also has virtually no mileage on him because heís only a one -year starter. Iím one of Gillisleeís biggest fans, and plan on pimping him a lot on these forums in the coming months.

5. Kwame Geathers, DT, Georgia

A local prospect who can play in the 4-3 and 3-4. Great size, great athlete. Could really make a difference.

6. Hugh Thornton, G, Illinois

Hereís a developmental guard prospect. We should have one of those.

7. Brandon Kaufman, WR, Eastern Washington

We are really, really thin at wide receiver. Kaufman is a good developmental receiver who could eventually be our #3 guy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Willthethrill_H


Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Posts: 641
Location: Birmingham, AL
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Im a big advocate of Mike Gillislee. Not a big fan of Kevin Smith or Brandon Moore, but I can't complain.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swoosh


Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Posts: 9846
Location: pnw, usa.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love, love the draft.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam9


Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Posts: 14308
Location: Kennesaw, GA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FA is unrealistic, and I'm not huge on parts of the mock. Wasn't horrible though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devils1854


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 22928
Location: Tyler Starr, Adopt a Falcon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
The FA is unrealistic, and I'm not huge on parts of the mock. Wasn't horrible though.


Agreed big time. Jerry isn't getting cut for less than a mil cap, and we aren't using the franchise tag this year.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam9


Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Posts: 14308
Location: Kennesaw, GA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
adam9 wrote:
The FA is unrealistic, and I'm not huge on parts of the mock. Wasn't horrible though.


Agreed big time. Jerry isn't getting cut for less than a mil cap, and we aren't using the franchise tag this year.

Yup. And no way I think Grimes settled for 6 a year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BeeperKing


Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Posts: 4369
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
adam9 wrote:
The FA is unrealistic, and I'm not huge on parts of the mock. Wasn't horrible though.


Agreed big time. Jerry isn't getting cut for less than a mil cap, and we aren't using the franchise tag this year.

Yup. And no way I think Grimes settled for 6 a year.


The Grimes deal was pushing it a lot. I totally understand that, and after thinking about it further, realize won't happen at all. But I have to respectfully disagree about the franchise tag. When we have three key free agents, I don't think all of them can agree to long term deals. I don't know if Moore will play off the tag, but I would bet that he's tagged.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GrimeyKid


Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Posts: 1111
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew finally someone who agrees cutting peanut butter and jerry
_________________


2012 Adopt-A-Falcon

Jacquizz Rodgers #32
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devils1854


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 22928
Location: Tyler Starr, Adopt a Falcon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimeyKid wrote:
Phew finally someone who agrees cutting peanut butter and jerry


Do you really think that we can find someone good enough and as cheap as Jerry to be our 4th or 5th DT?

It's not about him being a bust. We have Babs, Peters, Walker, and hopefully a draft pick to be our top 4 rotation. Jerry has shown flashes. Do you really think we can find a vet minimum guy that will give us as much as Jerry can? Jerry is very cheap, and not completely useless. No way he should be cut.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GrimeyKid


Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Posts: 1111
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
GrimeyKid wrote:
Phew finally someone who agrees cutting peanut butter and jerry


Do you really think that we can find someone good enough and as cheap as Jerry to be our 4th or 5th DT?

It's not about him being a bust. We have Babs, Peters, Walker, and hopefully a draft pick to be our top 4 rotation. Jerry has shown flashes. Do you really think we can find a vet minimum guy that will give us as much as Jerry can? Jerry is very cheap, and not completely useless. No way he should be cut.


Yeah that guy kwame geathers. Also how can he let someone who was barely even drafted take his spot that should spell the end right there. We cut guys who either A. got injured alot or B. Didnt play good enough for what they earned and that to me is Jerry.
_________________


2012 Adopt-A-Falcon

Jacquizz Rodgers #32
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BeeperKing


Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Posts: 4369
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimeyKid wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
GrimeyKid wrote:
Phew finally someone who agrees cutting peanut butter and jerry


Do you really think that we can find someone good enough and as cheap as Jerry to be our 4th or 5th DT?

It's not about him being a bust. We have Babs, Peters, Walker, and hopefully a draft pick to be our top 4 rotation. Jerry has shown flashes. Do you really think we can find a vet minimum guy that will give us as much as Jerry can? Jerry is very cheap, and not completely useless. No way he should be cut.


Yeah that guy kwame geathers. Also how can he let someone who was barely even drafted take his spot that should spell the end right there. We cut guys who either A. got injured alot or B. Didnt play good enough for what they earned and that to me is Jerry.


It's not even the cap price for me, it's just time to move on. He's not going to be doing anything for us in the future, so we should get rid of him so a newer guy with more upside can take over. Let him go somewhere where he can compete for a starting job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GrimeyKid


Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Posts: 1111
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeeperKing wrote:
GrimeyKid wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
GrimeyKid wrote:
Phew finally someone who agrees cutting peanut butter and jerry


Do you really think that we can find someone good enough and as cheap as Jerry to be our 4th or 5th DT?

It's not about him being a bust. We have Babs, Peters, Walker, and hopefully a draft pick to be our top 4 rotation. Jerry has shown flashes. Do you really think we can find a vet minimum guy that will give us as much as Jerry can? Jerry is very cheap, and not completely useless. No way he should be cut.


Yeah that guy kwame geathers. Also how can he let someone who was barely even drafted take his spot that should spell the end right there. We cut guys who either A. got injured alot or B. Didnt play good enough for what they earned and that to me is Jerry.


It's not even the cap price for me, it's just time to move on. He's not going to be doing anything for us in the future, so we should get rid of him so a newer guy with more upside can take over. Let him go somewhere where he can compete for a starting job.


This is my point^
_________________


2012 Adopt-A-Falcon

Jacquizz Rodgers #32
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam9


Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Posts: 14308
Location: Kennesaw, GA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we cut a guy to "move on" when we'd be paying him anyways. At that point instead of paying 2 players close to 1m, why not just keep Jerry.

As much as everyone hates him, you'd think he goes on the field and looks around and doesn't try. He's not that bad, he actually played as well as any DT on our roster last year not name Johnathan Babineaux.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devils1854


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 22928
Location: Tyler Starr, Adopt a Falcon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
So we cut a guy to "move on" when we'd be paying him anyways. At that point instead of paying 2 players close to 1m, why not just keep Jerry.

As much as everyone hates him, you'd think he goes on the field and looks around and doesn't try. He's not that bad, he actually played as well as any DT on our roster last year not name Johnathan Babineaux.


Exactly. He might not have lived up to his draft position, but he was more than serviceable, and played pretty descent while Peters was out.

We kept 5 DTs last year, and Jerry is definitely better than Robinson, and barely costs more. It would be idiotic to cut him, unless we bring in a vet, and a rookie.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group