Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

This is my dilemma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ57

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: This is my dilemma Reply with quote

I can two very different directions on how to approach FA and the draft. To me it might come down to need to win and fill seats now combined with the GM's and head coaches security.

So would you take away from a part of the team that performs well so you could add to a part that doesn't? For example would you let Starks walk, take that 6-8 million saved, apply it to a FA WR, and draft an early DT? Or do you say the D-line is something not be messed with and create new holes? Would you rather draft the WR knowing full well that chances are a rokkie DT is likely to contribute sooner than a rookie WR?

Do you let a known commodity like Sean Smith walk away over money? If another team will pay him more than, say a Grimes, what right do we have to feel so certain a cheaper FA CB will be superior?

Do you keep an "okay" player like Fasano who can certainly contribute some and add a seam threat TE (who maybe can't block)? Or do you say any player that isn't up to a certain standard has no role on my roster?

Jake Long could be the biggest question of all. Suppose he finds out he isn't worth what he thinks as a FA. Suppose we could resign him for mush less than what we now assume. At what number do you say the risk is worth the reward?

Then we have the whole question of money compared to a draft pick. Assuming you have the money (but also loads of needs), would you rather use a draft pick or get a FA? Assume equal talent/production but a difference in salary/cap hit of a 4 to 1 ratio (2 mill draft pick/8 mill FA).
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: This is my dilemma Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
I can two very different directions on how to approach FA and the draft. To me it might come down to need to win and fill seats now combined with the GM's and head coaches security.

So would you take away from a part of the team that performs well so you could add to a part that doesn't? For example would you let Starks walk, take that 6-8 million saved, apply it to a FA WR, and draft an early DT? Or do you say the D-line is something not be messed with and create new holes? Would you rather draft the WR knowing full well that chances are a rokkie DT is likely to contribute sooner than a rookie WR?

I know that those where just examples but, I'd like to address them anyway. I look at Starks status as dependent on the RDE we get. If it's a rookie or someone that is more of a run-stopper than a pass rusher, I'd try to tag or negotiate with Starks.
Russ57 wrote:

Do you let a known commodity like Sean Smith walk away over money? If another team will pay him more than, say a Grimes, what right do we have to feel so certain a cheaper FA CB will be superior?

LOL @ the term "known commodity" when it comes to describing Sean Smith. WR moves work on him and that is NOT going to change. Let him go. You can get add 3 better corners this offseason, If you do it right. And it's not hard.
Russ57 wrote:

Do you keep an "okay" player like Fasano who can certainly contribute some and add a seam threat TE (who maybe can't block)? Or do you say any player that isn't up to a certain standard has no role on my roster?

It's quite possible that the right additions at WR and OL can make life easier for Fasano and it's also possible that you can get a good replacement like Bennett in FA or Fauria in the draft. Either way other areas need to be addressed to simplify the TE position.

Russ57 wrote:

Jake Long could be the biggest question of all. Suppose he finds out he isn't worth what he thinks as a FA. Suppose we could resign him for mush less than what we now assume. At what number do you say the risk is worth the reward?

Basketball Analogy: You are a power forward who is putting up 25ppg. and 12 boards as your avg. You are 6'9 260 and play with your back to the basket. You thrive on getting the ball fed to you in the post. Your new coach comes in and installs a system that exploits the perimeter with a drive and dish style with a lot of ball movement. You are no longer given the time to make your post moves. Now you can still put up 12 -15 points a game and be a respectable player, but you also have the opportunity to go to a team that plays post up basketball return you to future HOF status.
What would you do if your that player and your contract is up ? What would you do if you are his GM ?

Russ57 wrote:

Then we have the whole question of money compared to a draft pick. Assuming you have the money (but also loads of needs), would you rather use a draft pick or get a FA? Assume equal talent/production but a difference in salary/cap hit of a 4 to 1 ratio (2 mill draft pick/8 mill FA).

There's no one rule here. Every offseason has it's strengths and weaknesses in both areas. The CBA is a great help, though.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I'm not in favor of letting Starks walk, The Dolphins should cut Tony McDaniel, resign Starks, move Odrick inside. Use free agency to sign a Defensive End. Options while be available in draft. The defensive line is better with Starks , so I don't understand the willingness of some to let him walk.

2) Sean Smith, the only known commodity at this point is that he wants more money than he is worth. Let someone else overpay for what will be cap hell to that team. Free agency has a few that will be cheaper than Smith. I have no problems with double dipping at CB if talent drops in our laps. Not much to worry about two rookies. Just making the playoffs in 2013 would be awesome. The Super Bowl is still at least two years away.

3) Fasano is a good Tight End blocks well catches whats thrown to him. The caveat is that the league has made the TE more of a wide receiver that poses mismatches for defenses with size and speed. There is a role that Fasano plays and its more of the traditional one for a tight end. If the standard is offensive weapon then, no he doesn't fit that role.

4) There is no magic number in dollars for keeping Jake Long. He has become the redhead in a house full of blondes. Keeping him means we have refused to accept that we are simply better off without him long term based on the offensive philosophy we now have.

5) I'm in belief that there is an optimal mathematical formula pertaining to the amount of rookies and contracts that you take on, free agents that your sign and continuing contracts of players with (x) amount of years left. I do believe gone are the days of an "Over The Hill Gang" that George Allen ran with the Redskins in the 1970's nor can you go all in with youth, the new CBA will not allow it. For Baseball fans its that the NFL is now running a perverted form of Moneyball.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 21
Russ57

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off excuse my atrocious typing/spelling skills. It rather detracts from the post.

I thank you for your well thought out responses. We may not see eye to eye on the solution but it is clear we share some of the same concerns.

I have said numerous time that Starks is the one guy I'd most like to keep. That said it is hard to deny the possibility that "maybe" we could move Odrick inside, draft a DE, apply the 6 mill savings to the offense, and come out ahead in both the short and long term.

Sean's run support bothers me even more than his coverage skills. To include those words as skills of his is laughable. I have never been a fan of his.

I would keep Fasano as long as the contract is reasonable. There are guys I like in FA and in the draft. All told I'd rather we get an elite TE than WR. I feel it is that important and the way the game is now played might make him the second or thrid most important player on offense.

So you feel Jake would play for less for a team that runs a man blocking scheme? Interesting and perhaps correct. I love your logic. From what I have learned it seems the size of his contract is what tells him how good and not his actual play on the field.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: