Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tavon Austin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FabrizioHC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:
An offense that could line up Trindon Holliday literally anywhere, you could use him just like they used Austin at WVU, but they don't.

Holliday is absolutely terrible at fighting for the ball when its in the air. This is why he will never get reps in the slot or even on fly routes. Unless he gets completely wide open, he just isnt big/strong enough to get up there and fight the CB.

I do agree that we should line him up for screen passes and in the backfield 2-3 times a game.

I agree, but like you said, you can still line him up at WR for screen passes, trick plays and reverse passes. You can put him at running back and run him outside. With Dreessen, Decker and Thomas blocking, Holliday could take it to the end zone easily.
elliot878

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the injury concern... Austin never missed time due to injury in college. Sure game speed is different, but certain players know how to take hits, brace, and protect themselves. It would appear Austin does.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
For all the injury concern... Austin never missed time due to injury in college. Sure game speed is different, but certain players know how to take hits, brace, and protect themselves. It would appear Austin does.

To me elliot he'd be really appealing if we didn't have Holliday. He'll have a few highlight reel plays every year, and probably be an answer to a teams KR/WR needs in addition to being able to contribute at a variety of positions.

Problem is though we've already got the fastest Smurf in the NFL with no questions about his return ability. If we're looking at a full time replacement for Stokes I think we can do better.
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
elliot878 wrote:

To me elliot he'd be really appealing if we didn't have Holliday. He'll have a few highlight reel plays every year, and probably be an answer to a teams KR/WR needs in addition to being able to contribute at a variety of positions.

Problem is though we've already got the fastest Smurf in the NFL with no questions about his return ability. If we're looking at a full time replacement for Stokes I think we can do better.

I don't. Austin wouldn't be drafted Round 1 to be a primary return guy. I wouldn't exclude someone because we have a cheap return guy making ~450K a year. If we draft Austin, worst case is he replaces Trindon going forward, but to not draft him because of Holliday makes no sense to me.

Austin is a huge weapon in space. Definitely more than Swope. I like Swope, but his timed speed is NOT close to his game speed, but Austin's speed is unreal.

Thanks, Tzimisce
elliot878

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
elliot878 wrote:

I don't. Austin wouldn't be drafted Round 1 to be a primary return guy. I wouldn't exclude someone because we have a cheap return guy making ~450K a year. If we draft Austin, worst case is he replaces Trindon going forward, but to not draft him because of Holliday makes no sense to me.

Austin is a huge weapon in space. Definitely more than Swope. I like Swope, but his timed speed is NOT close to his game speed, but Austin's speed is unreal.

Yea Trindon Holliday isn't holding this team back from drafting anyone. Trindon can't play offense, at all. I'd like to keep both, let Trindon keep doing what he's doing, even if it meant Austin isn't used at all on special teams... ok fine.. Trindon's better at that, and its less injury risk for Austin.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:

Austin wouldn't be drafted Round 1 to be a primary return guy. I wouldn't exclude someone because we have a cheap return guy making ~450K a year. If we draft Austin, worst case is he replaces Trindon going forward, but to not draft him because of Holliday makes no sense to me.

Didn't mean to imply the bolded. (nobody drafts a KR/PR in the 1st) Just pointing out that as a returner it adds considerable value to him. Thats an additional 10+- plays per game where he can get the ball in space.

I still have serious reservations about his size. He's tiny. I mean, gee, Harvins a small guy but out weighs Austin by 25 lbs.

He seems to be this years version of Billy (white shoes) Johnson. Tiny, explosive, great KR/PR but never more than a marginal WR.

Just my opinion. I think he'll struggle to be an every down offensive player.
Cutler06

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, look what Welker did for the NE offense once he was acquired by the Pats, became a consistent top 3 offense and BOOM, exploded !!

He or Warmack would be the only offensive players I'd be ok with in the 1st rd.

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
germ-x

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a huge Austin fan. I understand he can be dangerous, but he is going to be a niche player and Denver will have to create ways to get him involved, IMO.

Those types of players aren't 1st round picks in my mind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: