Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Salary cap situation

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JRebar913


Joined: 11 Mar 2012
Posts: 989
Location: Kansas City
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Salary cap situation Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/53593/early-salary-cap-check

Looks like Denver will be sitting pretty good. Enough money to resign key players and get a couple free agents. Also looks like Te'o might fall in the draft after that game last night. If he falls to mid first round would you like to see Denver trade up for him?
_________________
AntiSuperstar wrote:
Champ's good but Richard Sherman is better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PackAtBroncos07


Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 3223
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Salary cap situation Reply with quote

JRebar913 wrote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/53593/early-salary-cap-check

Looks like Denver will be sitting pretty good. Enough money to resign key players and get a couple free agents. Also looks like Te'o might fall in the draft after that game last night. If he falls to mid first round would you like to see Denver trade up for him?


Sure. I think he needs to get a lot meaner though to be any good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5018
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats really a misleading article by "Burger Bill". He doesn't mention the fact that almost 1/3rd of our roster will be FAs or RFA's next year.

Not only Clady, but his backup Clark are FA's. All 3 of our DT's, Bannan Vick and Unrein along with CB's T. Carter and T.Porter are FA's.

Guys like Koppen, Stokley, Leonhard, Brooking are FA's along with our own D. Bruton and B. Colquitt.

Add the above to the 2014 FA's that we may want to tie up early, WW, Harris, etc. and in short, lots of decisions have to be made and 17 spots filled before we get too worried about going after anyone else.


Good info on our present contract situation below.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/den/denver-broncos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JRebar913


Joined: 11 Mar 2012
Posts: 989
Location: Kansas City
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Thats really a misleading article by "Burger Bill". He doesn't mention the fact that almost 1/3rd of our roster will be FAs or RFA's next year.

Not only Clady, but his backup Clark are FA's. All 3 of our DT's, Bannan Vick and Unrein along with CB's T. Carter and T.Porter are FA's.

Guys like Koppen, Stokley, Leonhard, Brooking are FA's along with our own D. Bruton and B. Colquitt.

Add the above to the 2014 FA's that we may want to tie up early, WW, Harris, etc. and in short, lots of decisions have to be made and 17 spots filled before we get too worried about going after anyone else.


Good info on our present contract situation below.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/den/denver-broncos


kind of but not really, espn was just showing the current numbers. it obviously wont be that high once clady is signed, but i like the current situation. seemed like when shanahan was coach they were always over the cap.
_________________
AntiSuperstar wrote:
Champ's good but Richard Sherman is better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5018
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRebar913 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Thats really a misleading article by "Burger Bill". He doesn't mention the fact that almost 1/3rd of our roster will be FAs or RFA's next year.

Not only Clady, but his backup Clark are FA's. All 3 of our DT's, Bannan Vick and Unrein along with CB's T. Carter and T.Porter are FA's.

Guys like Koppen, Stokley, Leonhard, Brooking are FA's along with our own D. Bruton and B. Colquitt.

Add the above to the 2014 FA's that we may want to tie up early, WW, Harris, etc. and in short, lots of decisions have to be made and 17 spots filled before we get too worried about going after anyone else.


Good info on our present contract situation below.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/den/denver-broncos


kind of but not really, espn was just showing the current numbers. it obviously wont be that high once clady is signed, but i like the current situation. seemed like when shanahan was coach they were always over the cap.


Shanny was never quite as fond of 1 year contracts as our FO. Paints a different picture.

The reality is, we've got $18mil of cap space to replace or resign 17 players, about a dozen of which either start or play significant roles every Sunday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 21149
Location: Capitol Cit-ay
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
JRebar913 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Thats really a misleading article by "Burger Bill". He doesn't mention the fact that almost 1/3rd of our roster will be FAs or RFA's next year.

Not only Clady, but his backup Clark are FA's. All 3 of our DT's, Bannan Vick and Unrein along with CB's T. Carter and T.Porter are FA's.

Guys like Koppen, Stokley, Leonhard, Brooking are FA's along with our own D. Bruton and B. Colquitt.

Add the above to the 2014 FA's that we may want to tie up early, WW, Harris, etc. and in short, lots of decisions have to be made and 17 spots filled before we get too worried about going after anyone else.


Good info on our present contract situation below.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/den/denver-broncos


kind of but not really, espn was just showing the current numbers. it obviously wont be that high once clady is signed, but i like the current situation. seemed like when shanahan was coach they were always over the cap.


Shanny was never quite as fond of 1 year contracts as our FO. Paints a different picture.

The reality is, we've got $18mil of cap space to replace or resign 17 players, about a dozen of which either start or play significant roles every Sunday.


To be fair, some of these guys will almost certainly not be coming back or retiring.

Bannan may come back on a one year deal, but he'll be cheap. My guess is Brooking does not come back. I think Bruton will be signed for very cheap. Caldwell will probably be cut, that frees up space. Tony Carter will be resigned. Clady will be tagged/resigned. Harris will probably get an extension soon. Jason Hunter may or may not be resigned. I'd lean towards not getting resigned. Koppen won't be resigned, if I had to guess. I can virtually guarantee Leonhard isn't brought back. Joe Mays will be cut, or be forced to take a pay cut. Moreno may very well be cut, freeing up more money. I doubt Porter comes back. Stokley is up in the air. He may be back, but that could depend on how far we go this year. Either way, he's cheap. Julius Thomas will probably be cut. Vickerson will be resigned, or should be at least. Ty Warren is gone. DJ Williams should take a pay cut, or he may be gone. Willis is gone.

I could be wrong about some of these guys, but our major resignings will be small. The extensions for some guys will obviously cost us some money, but I see some guys being cap casualties. Woodyard, I think, will eventually be one. Trevathan has played well, and unless he drops off a cliff, I think he can replace WW eventually for much less than what WW will cost.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 2283
Location: Deutschland
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
JRebar913 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Thats really a misleading article by "Burger Bill". He doesn't mention the fact that almost 1/3rd of our roster will be FAs or RFA's next year.

Not only Clady, but his backup Clark are FA's. All 3 of our DT's, Bannan Vick and Unrein along with CB's T. Carter and T.Porter are FA's.

Guys like Koppen, Stokley, Leonhard, Brooking are FA's along with our own D. Bruton and B. Colquitt.

Add the above to the 2014 FA's that we may want to tie up early, WW, Harris, etc. and in short, lots of decisions have to be made and 17 spots filled before we get too worried about going after anyone else.


Good info on our present contract situation below.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/den/denver-broncos


kind of but not really, espn was just showing the current numbers. it obviously wont be that high once clady is signed, but i like the current situation. seemed like when shanahan was coach they were always over the cap.


Shanny was never quite as fond of 1 year contracts as our FO. Paints a different picture.

The reality is, we've got $18mil of cap space to replace or resign 17 players, about a dozen of which either start or play significant roles every Sunday.


To be fair, some of these guys will almost certainly not be coming back or retiring.

Bannan may come back on a one year deal, but he'll be cheap. My guess is Brooking does not come back. I think Bruton will be signed for very cheap. Caldwell will probably be cut, that frees up space. Tony Carter will be resigned. Clady will be tagged/resigned. Harris will probably get an extension soon. Jason Hunter may or may not be resigned. I'd lean towards not getting resigned. Koppen won't be resigned, if I had to guess. I can virtually guarantee Leonhard isn't brought back. Joe Mays will be cut, or be forced to take a pay cut. Moreno may very well be cut, freeing up more money. I doubt Porter comes back. Stokley is up in the air. He may be back, but that could depend on how far we go this year. Either way, he's cheap. Julius Thomas will probably be cut. Vickerson will be resigned, or should be at least. Ty Warren is gone. DJ Williams should take a pay cut, or he may be gone. Willis is gone.

I could be wrong about some of these guys, but our major resignings will be small. The extensions for some guys will obviously cost us some money, but I see some guys being cap casualties. Woodyard, I think, will eventually be one. Trevathan has played well, and unless he drops off a cliff, I think he can replace WW eventually for much less than what WW will cost.


I totally agree with everything you say. Although having both Moreno and McGahee cut or unresigned would leave a considerable void at RB. We don't need powerful backs, we need smart ones. Right in the mold of Willis, Moreno has improved his running style. We need at least one of this type of chains moving, constant 4 yards or more back for this offense. I don't see one out there in FA. Who would fit the bill out of the 2013 prospects?
_________________

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
by Joe_is_the_best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul-mac


Joined: 12 Jul 2009
Posts: 7873
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Moreno gets arrested again or something then he's almost certain to at least make it to camp next year. Not saying he'll make the 53 but he's quite cheap and has come up with the goods down the stretch this year, so I think he'll be in the mix for a roster spot next summer.

McGahee is probably in the same boat in my opinion. He's only worth a couple of million next season. I bet he's in camp.

I can see us letting Lance Ball walk and bringing in 1 or 2 more backs to compete with Knowshon and McGahee for the early down touches, whilst Ronnie Hillman is the ideal 3rd down back as he's fast and can catch.
_________________
Big Palooka wrote:
Broncos won't make the playoffs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5018
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
JRebar913 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Thats really a misleading article by "Burger Bill". He doesn't mention the fact that almost 1/3rd of our roster will be FAs or RFA's next year.

Not only Clady, but his backup Clark are FA's. All 3 of our DT's, Bannan Vick and Unrein along with CB's T. Carter and T.Porter are FA's.

Guys like Koppen, Stokley, Leonhard, Brooking are FA's along with our own D. Bruton and B. Colquitt.

Add the above to the 2014 FA's that we may want to tie up early, WW, Harris, etc. and in short, lots of decisions have to be made and 17 spots filled before we get too worried about going after anyone else.


Good info on our present contract situation below.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/den/denver-broncos


kind of but not really, espn was just showing the current numbers. it obviously wont be that high once clady is signed, but i like the current situation. seemed like when shanahan was coach they were always over the cap.


Shanny was never quite as fond of 1 year contracts as our FO. Paints a different picture.

The reality is, we've got $18mil of cap space to replace or resign 17 players, about a dozen of which either start or play significant roles every Sunday.


To be fair, some of these guys will almost certainly not be coming back or retiring.

Bannan may come back on a one year deal, but he'll be cheap. My guess is Brooking does not come back. I think Bruton will be signed for very cheap. Caldwell will probably be cut, that frees up space. Tony Carter will be resigned. Clady will be tagged/resigned. Harris will probably get an extension soon. Jason Hunter may or may not be resigned. I'd lean towards not getting resigned. Koppen won't be resigned, if I had to guess. I can virtually guarantee Leonhard isn't brought back. Joe Mays will be cut, or be forced to take a pay cut. Moreno may very well be cut, freeing up more money. I doubt Porter comes back. Stokley is up in the air. He may be back, but that could depend on how far we go this year. Either way, he's cheap. Julius Thomas will probably be cut. Vickerson will be resigned, or should be at least. Ty Warren is gone. DJ Williams should take a pay cut, or he may be gone. Willis is gone.

I could be wrong about some of these guys, but our major resignings will be small. The extensions for some guys will obviously cost us some money, but I see some guys being cap casualties. Woodyard, I think, will eventually be one. Trevathan has played well, and unless he drops off a cliff, I think he can replace WW eventually for much less than what WW will cost.


Can't disagree with a thing you've said. I figure Mays is also gone.

My main point was not to put too much into the raw 18 mil number. As I mentioned initially there are a bunch of decisions to be made.

I guess I just hate it when a sports writer tries to simplify something this complex. I mean, "they have 18 million" to spend seems pretty vague and almost obnoxious in it's suggestion.

Your post just provided 10 times the detail "Burger Bill" chose to and I'll bet you could have come up with another page or two.

Good job 67. You're helping me make my point. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncsDominate


Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 978
Location: Fishing at Standley Lake
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
JRebar913 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Thats really a misleading article by "Burger Bill". He doesn't mention the fact that almost 1/3rd of our roster will be FAs or RFA's next year.

Not only Clady, but his backup Clark are FA's. All 3 of our DT's, Bannan Vick and Unrein along with CB's T. Carter and T.Porter are FA's.

Guys like Koppen, Stokley, Leonhard, Brooking are FA's along with our own D. Bruton and B. Colquitt.

Add the above to the 2014 FA's that we may want to tie up early, WW, Harris, etc. and in short, lots of decisions have to be made and 17 spots filled before we get too worried about going after anyone else.

Good info on our present contract situation below.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/den/denver-broncos


kind of but not really, espn was just showing the current numbers. it obviously wont be that high once clady is signed, but i like the current situation. seemed like when shanahan was coach they were always over the cap.


Shanny was never quite as fond of 1 year contracts as our FO. Paints a different picture.

The reality is, we've got $18mil of cap space to replace or resign 17 players, about a dozen of which either start or play significant roles every Sunday.


We have 18 mil + the 17 players/FA salaries that will be coming off the books, which if they averaged 1 mil each would be another 17 mil (just a number I threw out there, it might be higher or lower).

I wouldnt be surprised if they asked Doom to restructure since most of his guaranteed money has been paid. Maybe they offer him a lower per year salary, but guarantee it for a longer period than his current contract (extend him in effect).

Also, dont look for the FO to extend anyone early. History has shown that the Broncos expect their rookies to honor their rookie contracts.

DJ might be good as gone with a 6 mil number (none of it is guaranteed if im not mistaken) as we did just fine, I would argue better, in his absence. They will not keep him and Mays.

The beautiful thing about this team right now is that we are Super Bowl contenders and have plenty of room to make whatever moves we want to make. What a difference a Manning makes. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobdevine


Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Posts: 2115
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest data is that the Broncos have about $119.5 million in contract commitments. The 2013 NFL team limit is $123 million. Add in the $14.1 million rollover from 2012.

So the team currently has a cap space of about $17.6 million.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap-hit/

I expect Clady's new contract to eat into the cap space, but it leaves lots of room to sign another pricey free agent.

If the team cuts Joe Mays and DJ, maybe another free agent might be signed.

UPDATE:
Clady's franchise tag eats about $6.3 million more in salary.
If the new rookie contracts require $3-5 million, the cap space for any new signing(s) is about $6.3 to 8.3 million ($17.6 - 6.3 - (3 to 5)).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnAngryAmerican


Moderator
Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 18241
Location: Loveland, CO
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good accounting there, bobdevine!

We're in a very healthy cap situation considering the level of talent on the team. With the expected restructuring of Doom and maybe Champ and Peyton, and releasing DJ, Mays and Knowshon (his jerseys are on clearance in the Dove Valley team store), we will really be in good shape.
_________________
big_palooka:

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group