Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears Prospects Draft Rankings [Mayock Bears Analysis pg17]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Austin intrigues me a lot, but I think his floor mostly because of size is lower than you are saying.

It would be a risky pick because of need and his size.

One factor that might play into these things is that Emery's first draft has not really stepped up or did not really produce as rookies. He might lean towards a safer pick like Cooper or Eifert who have very little chance of not being impact starters for the Bears.

It is human nature to want to protect your job and insulate your self from critism.

Jackson is only an inch taller and 1lb lighter…and Austin plays far tougher and bigger than Jackson does…

I think the other thing to remember is the days of big safeties taking the head off of slot receivers are gone…Austin wouldn’t have to take the hits we have seen in the past and with the game becoming more spread out I don’t think the size of a weapon type WR is really important…sure I think you always want your #1 to be 6-3” or bigger but a guy who is going to be moved around a lot to take advantage of that space I don’t think he needs to be a big guy in today’s NFL…

If Cooper is on the board he needs to be the pick…it’s that simple for me…if he hits #20 he is the BPA and fills a massive need for the next 10 years…but I don’t like the chances of it…if it comes down to Eifert or Austin then it becomes real interesting.

I like Austin and would be happy with the pick.

But many would consider it a reach for a gimmicky player and some people would consider McClellin that very thing.

I could see, and this is a hypothetical, Emery wanting to avoid th following questions if Austin struggles,

"Why did you pick an undersized slot WR when you had needs at OL and TE?"

"Why in back to back drafts did you reach for undersized speed players that have stuggled to make an impact?"

I am not saying this changes his mind but I guarantee he would think about it before the pick.

I don’t think he would give a rats [inappropriate/removed] about these questions lol…Emery is going to take the player he thinks best fits what we need…if Trestman tells Emery he has a plan for Austin and Emery likes him then he will be the pick if he is the player at the top of our board…this isn’t Jerry Angelo…we are dealing with a professional here who isn’t interested in popularity with the media.

I know he won't be swayed but there is no denying that Austin is more of a risk than Eifert.

Emery might be less inclined to take a risk this season, because last seasons draft class is still so up in the air.

He probably has Eifert and Austin ranked pretty close together like most people do.

Then it comes down to which one is more of a risk and to me it is Austin, Eifert at worst is going to be a Greg Olsen type player. We have not really seen to many Austin's before.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Austin intrigues me a lot, but I think his floor mostly because of size is lower than you are saying.

One factor that might play into these things is that Emery's first draft has not really stepped up or did not really produce as rookies. He might lean towards a safer pick like Cooper or Eifert who have very little chance of not being impact starters for the Bears.

It is human nature to want to protect your job and insulate your self from critism.

Jackson is only an inch taller and 1lb lighter…and Austin plays far tougher and bigger than Jackson does…

I think the other thing to remember is the days of big safeties taking the head off of slot receivers are gone…Austin wouldn’t have to take the hits we have seen in the past and with the game becoming more spread out I don’t think the size of a weapon type WR is really important…sure I think you always want your #1 to be 6-3” or bigger but a guy who is going to be moved around a lot to take advantage of that space I don’t think he needs to be a big guy in today’s NFL…

If Cooper is on the board he needs to be the pick…it’s that simple for me…if he hits #20 he is the BPA and fills a massive need for the next 10 years…but I don’t like the chances of it…if it comes down to Eifert or Austin then it becomes real interesting.

But many would consider it a reach for a gimmicky player and some people would consider McClellin that very thing.

I could see, and this is a hypothetical, Emery wanting to avoid th following questions if Austin struggles,

"Why in back to back drafts did you reach for undersized speed players that have stuggled to make an impact?"

I am not saying this changes his mind but I guarantee he would think about it before the pick.

I don’t think he would give a rats [inappropriate/removed] about these questions lol…Emery is going to take the player he thinks best fits what we need…if Trestman tells Emery he has a plan for Austin and Emery likes him then he will be the pick if he is the player at the top of our board…this isn’t Jerry Angelo…we are dealing with a professional here who isn’t interested in popularity with the media.

I know he won't be swayed but there is no denying that Austin is more of a risk than Eifert.

Emery might be less inclined to take a risk this season, because last seasons draft class is still so up in the air.

He probably has Eifert and Austin ranked pretty close together like most people do.

Then it comes down to which one is more of a risk and to me it is Austin, Eifert at worst is going to be a Greg Olsen type player. We have not really seen to many Austin's before.

Austin is more of a risk...he is also more of a reward if he is used right.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Agreed, but the risk gets you fired sometime.
DaMike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Walterfootball Mock Draft

1[20] WR Tavon Austin [West Virginia]
2[50] OG Kyle Long [Oregon]
4. TE Dion Sims [Michigan St]
5. OT Ried Fragel [Ohio St]
I really hope we dont go Austin in the 1st and I'm not sold on Long.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Agreed, but the risk gets you fired sometime.

As does not taking risks.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

What size WRs did Trestman use in Canada relative to the rest of the league? That might give us a clue to how he looks at Austin and others.

I do not believe he is giving Emery input on the draft at this point in any case and am not sure he will. From the way he talks he views his job as taking the talent Emery gives him and coaching it.
DaMike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Eifert or Austin is more of a risk or more of a reward. I think our need is at TE though.
JRT2006

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bears, creating a mock here for as many rounds as I can and I'm stuck at Chicago. Rather then crowd your forum, I figured I'd post here and get advice. Is Chicago a "trade up" type team? Wondering because as my mock has fallen, Bjoern Werner is the top valued player available and if Chicago doesnt jump New York for him, then the Giants are likely going to take him (since that is what they do...draft the last top DE remaining in the 1st) Of the teams above NY, i can only see the Saints as willing to drop back.

Would Chicago go for that or stick were they are and go a different route?

Players taken so far are:
*Luke Joeckel
Ezekiel Ansah
Geno Smith
Dion Jordan
Eric Fisher
*Barkevious Mingo
Chance Warmack
*Jarvis Jones
*Cordarrelle Patterson
Star Lotulelei
Lane Johnson
*Dee Milliner
*Xavier Rhodes
*Sharrif Floyd
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRT2006 wrote:
Hey Bears, creating a mock here for as many rounds as I can and I'm stuck at Chicago. Rather then crowd your forum, I figured I'd post here and get advice. Is Chicago a "trade up" type team? Wondering because as my mock has fallen, Bjoern Werner is the top valued player available and if Chicago doesnt jump New York for him, then the Giants are likely going to take him (since that is what they do...draft the last top DE remaining in the 1st) Of the teams above NY, i can only see the Saints as willing to drop back.

Would Chicago go for that or stick were they are and go a different route?

Players taken so far are:
*Luke Joeckel
Ezekiel Ansah
Geno Smith
Dion Jordan
Eric Fisher
*Barkevious Mingo
Chance Warmack
*Jarvis Jones
*Cordarrelle Patterson
Star Lotulelei
Lane Johnson
*Dee Milliner
*Xavier Rhodes
*Sharrif Floyd

In this order

Jonathan Cooper, and we wouldn't even think about it.

Tyler Eifert
DJ Fluker
G08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

What size WRs did Trestman use in Canada relative to the rest of the league? That might give us a clue to how he looks at Austin and others.

I do not believe he is giving Emery input on the draft at this point in any case and am not sure he will. From the way he talks he views his job as taking the talent Emery gives him and coaching it.

Don't necessarily care what he used in Canada, but you can look at Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, and Jerry Porter in Oakland to go along with Doug Jolley to get an idea of what Trestman has had success with in the NFL.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Don't necessarily care what he used in Canada, but you can look at Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, and Jerry Porter in Oakland to go along with Doug Jolley to get an idea of what Trestman has had success with in the NFL.
An answer to my question would give an idea of what he might like. Who didn't succeed with Jerry Rice?
G08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
G08 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

An answer to my question would give an idea of what he might like. Who didn't succeed with Jerry Rice?

You're looking for bigger WRs (like Rice and Brown) with RAC ability (like Rice and Brown). I think we're good with Marshall and Jeffery. The wildcard is Bennett; I'm not sure where he fits in this offense because he's not a deep threat but could excel in the slot.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: