Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would You Rather?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Would You Rather? Reply with quote

Get your mind out of the gutter boys, this is not the "would you rather" that you play with your friends late on a weekend or in a bar, we are keeping this clean and football related.

So this should be a fun exercise for us to throw out some scenarios and see which would be more accepted by the fan-base. There is no wiggle room in there, no trick door #3, the options are on the table and you have to pick one of them and make an argument why (it can even be 'I wouldnt hate this one less') but the rules are you have to take each scenario as one of these things is going to happen, just which one you would rather have happen. So Im gonna throw out some to get us started.

Cut Harvey Dahl & Sign Slaussen/Moore or Keep Dahl and wait to see if Warmack falls to us at #16
So we have a chance to upgrade at guard this offseason, and while many expect Rok to eventually man one of those spots, Dahl is on the down side of his career. So both of the Jets guards are Free Agents this year, and with Schotty's relationship with them, theres a natural connection to make. But to bring in one of those guys we would likely cut Dahl for the Spot & to put his money toward signing them. Or we can keep Dahl as the backup plan and hope that Chance falls to us in the first, because its unlikely to me that anyone else we would draft could push Dahl out juet yet. (Cooper doesnt get past Chicago here & Warford goes Top 40)

Run with the Backfield we have now or Sign a Halfback in Free Agency
This one is pretty straight forward. I know some here, like jrry, really love some of the RB talent in the draft, but in this scenario we dont take any of them. The only way we add a RB is by signing a vet, any vet out there. Would you rather not spend the money and go with the 3 we have now (Pead, Richardson, & Ganaway) or spend some of our valued cap space on a guy like Greene, Bush, Mendehall or Benson.

Re-sign Danny Amendola or Re-sign William Hayes
These guys are both free agents this year, and have both been major contributors. So if you were guaranteed that one of these two would come back, who would it be? We arent sure what Hayes is looking for so we cant assume the contracts they would get, but If you could bring one of them back who would it be. (If you want to take into account the expected contracts you can, just clarify of you are or arent)

Sign a Big Money RT or Draft a RT in the mid-rounds
So we will either bring in a big money RT this offseason (using a big chunk of our cap on them) like Loadholt, Andre Smith, Vollmer or Cherilus. Or we use a mid round pick 3rd or 4th (maybe a 2nd if you want to), but we will surely bring someone in and they will be expected to start, so which would you rather have?

Draft Kenny Vacarro at #16 or Draft Sheldon Richardson at #16
So all the guys we really want get picked off before we draft @16, and we cant get a deal for someone to move up, who would you rather us take if these were the 2 favorites. Either we reach for Vacarro at a position of need. Or we take the best talent still on the board that has fallen in Richardson where we have an already strong lineup on the roster.

Get a weapon at TE like Eifert/Ertz or Get a blocking TE like Williams
We are likely to add a TE at some point, so would you rather we use an earlier pick (lets say our 2nd) on a Weapon, or just wait till later (say our 5th) on a Blocker. IF we add a weapon, it slides Kendricks into a #2 TE role where he can block more but we are using a bunch of Two TE sets he is still a weapon. Or we can get a better blocker to back him up, and let Kendricks be the major TE weapon.

Extend JoLonn Dunbar or Extend Roger Saffold
They are both open to signing a reasonable extensions right now, lock them up for the next 4 years, but we can only do one right now. And if we wait till the end of the season they will atleast test the FA market, and theres no guarantee that we can get them back. So who would we want to lock up right now?

Last edited by StLunatic88 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Would You Rather? Reply with quote

Ill run down my answers, and remember to add yours in here too.
StLunatic88 wrote:
Cut Harvey Dahl & Sign Slaussen/Moore or Keep Dahl and wait to see if Warmack falls to us at #16I would rather wait see if Chance is there at #16. Harvey isnt a terrible option at RG for this coming year, but he be upgraded. Slaussen & Moore are both probably better than Dahl at this point, but to get into a new contract with more guaranteed money isnt something Im interested in if we can just ride out Dahl another year with no guarantees left. Plus I feel more stongly than most that Warmack makes it to #16.

I really like what we have in the backfield, I think Pead has all the skills to be an impressive RB in the NFL. And to be honest its a position that shouldnt be given a ton of money anymore in the way the league is now. Plus none of the Free Agents really interest me all that much, they are all average at best.

This one is really tough, but I factor in these 2 things; The contracts expected for them- Danny is apparently looking at close to $6mil per, where Hayes will likely be ing the $3-$4 million range per. And secondly Im looking at health history- Danny isnt brittle or anything, but he always puts himself in harms way which is going to keep costing him games. I would rather get Hayes back because he was Essential to the Defensive Line (both Run & Pass) while the Offense was very similar without Danny. And I dont want to be paying a Slot Receiver that much.

I really like Phil Loadholt, and would be intreagued at gettin Andre Smith but we have poured so much money into this OL in the past, and even now with Wells & Dahl currently, that I think its time to grab a good young RT and build with them. There is a ton of good talent for RTs this year, and we should scoop one of them up.

Eww, I am just completely against Kenny Vacarro. To me he is the most overrated guy in the draft these days, atleast a guy like Cordarrelle Paterson has the upside to warrant the hype. Ive got Richardson as one of the 8 best players in this draft, and think that type of talent would be too much to pass on for an average tweener safety like Vaccaro.

Ive seen alot of you say why would we get another Weapon when we have Kendricks, well Its a 2 TE league now, and I think having Kendricks as one of the Top 2nd TEs would be amazing for Sam. Honestly Id take a complete overhaul of the TE position and find a way to get both another Weapon & another Blocker. Give me a new Weapon for Sam at this point.

This is so tough, I really like the energy & play making that Dunbar has brought, and Saffold is so solid on the Left side. So I guess it comes down to, do you truly think Saffold is "injury prone" or that they are freak incidents. To me They are crazy injuries and he has come back good after each of the 2 injuries. ANd the final factor to me is it being a "reasonable contract". If we can get us a LT at a reasonable deal, and not have to break the bank, but he is still solid as ever then you have to lock up the LT if you can.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1). Keep Dahl wait for Warmack

2). Run with the backfield we got

3). Resign Hayes

4). Big money RT (this was the toughest one)

5). Draft Richardson

6). Get a weapon TE

7). Extend Dunbar.

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Sammy Watkins
3. Greg Robinson
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Would You Rather? Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
Cut Harvey Dahl & Sign Slaussen/Moore or Keep Dahl and wait to see if Warmack falls to us at #16Cut Dahl and sign free agent. We have no way of knowing if Warmack will be there. If we address OG in free agency, we have one less need in the draft, which is always good.

Run with the backs we have now. that is, provided they like Ganaway, as none of us saw him take a carry last season. Pead/Richardson can put up Jax numbers, in my opinion, easily.

I honestly think I'd lean toward signing Hayes. He was healthy all year and made a big impact. I'd say he is amongst the top rotational DE's in the league. Many options in the draft for a slow replacement that will be much cheaper and, hopefully, much more healthy then Danny.

Here is where I'd like to see our free agent money. A big dominate RT is just what we need and, will again free up a big need going into the draft. I'm a big BPA guy and taking care of glaring holes helps us achieve this.

Many are down on Vacarro, and, I can see some of it. However, he appears to be the best or amongst the very best safeties in coverage this draft. I think he has all the tools to be a good safety for us, particularly with the new D Coordinator we have. I like Sheldon, but, we really need an impact safety. If the choice was Vacarro/Richardson/Elam, I'd take Elam.

I'm very against taking one of the TE's in the 1st round, so, whatever option takes that away is what I choose. Really like Williams for more then just his blocking.

I'm extending Saffold if he proves he can stay healthy this year. Good LT >OLB every day of the week.

St.Louis Rams D-Coordinator FFMD
ramsfan4lyfe8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Would You Rather? Reply with quote

[quote="StLunatic88"]Get your mind out of the gutter boys, this is not the "would you rather" that you play with your friends late on a weekend or in a bar, we are keeping this clean and football related.

So this should be a fun exercise for us to throw out some scenarios and see which would be more accepted by the fan-base. There is no wiggle room in there, no trick door #3, the options are on the table and you have to pick one of them and make an argument why (it can even be 'I wouldnt hate this one less') but the rules are you have to take each scenario as one of these things is going to happen, just which one you would rather have happen. So Im gonna throw out some to get us started.

Cut Harvey Dahl & Sign Slaussen/Moore or Keep Dahl and wait to see if Warmack falls to us at #16
I would say keep Dahl and hope for Warmack. I would like to sign a good linemen and everything but we have thrown so much money in the O line over the years that I want to try and build from within and Warmack is a stud and will be a pro bowler for 10 years.

I feel like we need to sign someone from free agency. It isn't the way it used to be where signing a big name came with a big contract. Reggie Bush or Mendenhall I think would be a great compliment. We all love Gannaway and what he can bring but let's be honest he was a signing after he was cut from a PS. And personally I'm not a huge supporter of Richardson. I just think he is to frail to be the workhorse. Same thing with Pead. He didn't show much of anything last year. Definitely not what I was expecting from our second round pick.

I would have to say re sign William Hayes. Danny is a good player but not really a difference maker in the sense of our offense was basically the same thing with him and without him in the lineup. William Hayes was a very very good situational pass rusher and as I've stated a million times you can never have to many pass rushers. Danny will be asking way to much and as good as he is he isn't worth the over $6 million a year he is asking. I would rather re sign William Hayes for half that amount and get more out of him than we would Danny.

Ugh this is a tough one. As much as I would love to go out and sigh a Phil Loadholt or Jake Long, they will be asking too tier price and with limited cap space that may be unrealistic. Now if by mid round you mean a DJ Fluker in the second if he is there I am totally down for that. But I don't want to have to wait until the 4th or 5th because I feel like the talent is way to low for that big of a position.

This one is easy for me even though it doesn't seem to be for some. I am saying draft Vacarro here even if Richardson is there. I don't think adding depth to one of our strongest positions is more important than adding a true playmaker to one of if not our weakest positions. Probably the easiest questions.

Again a very easy question. This is turning into a two tight end league and Eifert and Ertz are in the same mold as the pats tight ends. So if you ask me taking Eifert with our second round pick or our second first round pick if Ertz is there. If we would get a TE like them and a Cordarrelle Patterson or Tavon Austin in the first that would be a scary offense.

I would have to say Saffold. Dunbar is a very good player and I would really like to get him extended as well, but Roger Saffold is our LT and I think if we can lock him up long term before he would ever hit FA would be a very good idea as the price would be alot lower for a stud LT than it would an OLB.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Would You Rather? Reply with quote

1. I'd rather keep Dahl and draft Warmack/Cooper. I can't see two gaurds being selected in the top fifteen, so I think one will likely be available. Dahl is still a decent player, but if they feel like Rok is better suited to start then we'll have a veteran, quality back-up...

2. I like what we have at the RB spot, although I'm not as high on Ganaway as the coaching staff seems to be. I wouldn't mind bringing in another FA though for cheap just to compete for a roster spot...

3. Re-sign Hayes. I love having that 3rd DE I can plug-in and not miss a beat, plus he's able to kick inside on 3rd downs and gives another pass rush element...

4. I'd love to sign a big-time RT like Loadholt/Smith. I don't see them being available though...

5. I would be ecstatic if we landed Richardson. He would be the final peice to make our D-Line the most dominant in the league...

6. Give me the weapon, rather than the blocking TE. I can find a cheap free agent TE to be my #3 and sole blocking TE. Although, I'll say I still think Ertz's value is better than Eifert becasue his overall game offers more...

7. Extend Saffold if he can stay healthy/play to his level in 2013. Not even a question in my mind...

TommyC376 on the sig...
LGB-Let's Go Blues!!!
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Would You Rather? Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
4. I'd love to sign a big-time RT like Loadholt/Smith. I don't see them being available though...
Well Smith cant be Franchised now, so he will hit the market, and the Vikings has stated they wont use the tag on Loadholt (remember its a OL tag, not position specific at $8.7m). Vollmer is the only one I could see it happening with.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Would You Rather? Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
Well Smith cant be Franchised now, so he will hit the market, and the Vikings has stated they wont use the tag on Loadholt (remember its a OL tag, not position specific at $8.7m). Vollmer is the only one I could see it happening with.

I wasn't referring to the franchise tag, I should have worded it better...

I meant that I see both of them probably re-upping with their current teams, or hitting the open market and being way out of our price range with lots of offers to choose from. I'd love to see one of them land here, but I'm not expecting it...

TommyC376 on the sig...
LGB-Let's Go Blues!!!
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really surprised me with saying that you were ready to move on from Kendricks. I guess you changed your mind on his value.

I would:

Keep Dahl

sign a HB in FA.

Re-sign Hayes.

Draft a RT in the mid rounds.

Draft Kenny Vaccaro.

Get a weapon like Ertz/Eiffert.

Extend Dunbar.

I didn't really like many of these ultimatums, and would prefer other options.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
You really surprised me with saying that you were ready to move on from Kendricks. I guess you changed your mind on his value.
I ddnt say I would "move on" from Kendricks, I just th8ink he is a much better fit in this role because thats who he is, not so much a Owen Daniles that many htought he has the potential to be.

He would still be a weapon on offense, but a secondary weapon. Out #! TE & #1 WR would be the go to guys with Kendricks & the #2 WR being the supplements to them.

Its actually a part of something I have been saying I think could happen this year. A fundamental change in Shoccy's system. Buying into the Dual-Tightend offense, and phasing the Slot WR out of it.

The J.R.S. wrote:
Yea I know, that what I was trying to make them, because they are real world situations we could be faced with and have to deal with the ultimate decisions as fans.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
I ddnt say I would "move on" from Kendricks, I just th8ink he is a much better fit in this role because thats who he is, not so much a Owen Daniles that many htought he has the potential to be.

He would still be a weapon on offense, but a secondary weapon. Out #! TE & #1 WR would be the go to guys with Kendricks & the #2 WR being the supplements to them.

Its actually a part of something I have been saying I think could happen this year. A fundamental change in Shoccy's system. Buying into the Dual-Tightend offense, and phasing the Slot WR out of it.

The J.R.S. wrote:
Yea I know, that what I was trying to make them, because they are real world situations we could be faced with and have to deal with the ultimate decisions as fans.

Why would we ever be forced to pick between Richardson and Vaccaro at #16? Only 15 guys can be drafted before that pick, so there will be plenty of options (better).

Earlier in the year you were saying that we should draft a blocking TE, so that Kendricks could focus on pass catching. That's pretty much the exact opposite of what you are saying now.

As I've said all off season, Tyler Eifert is the perfect pick for us, especially in the scenario you proposed above. A pass catching TE that can be lined up as a WR (thus diminishing the role of our "slot WR".

The more this off season continues, the more I am content sticking with my ideal 1st round of Tavon Austin and Eifert. The versatility and ability to create mismatches that this would provide our offense is a dream.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Would You Rather? Reply with quote

I would:

Cut Dahl and sign Slauson.

Dahl got hurt and is on the back end of his career, who knows if he comes back from his injury at the same level he was at before. Slauson is young and will still be improving throughout his contract if we signed him.

Run with the backfield we have now

We spend a 2nd round pick on Pead and Richardson showed potential last year. People don't mention Ganaway either who could has potential and could be our power back. If we were to spend a mid to late round pick on a RB there is no guarantee that they would beat Pead or Richardson out and could end up on the practice squad or another team's roster.

Re-sign William Hayes

Mainly because Austin, he would surely be available at #16 and would replace Amendola. If we were to replace Hayes through the draft even with a 1st round pick there is no guarantee that a rookie DE will have much of an impact this year. Rookie WRs have the chance to make more impact, especially a slot receiver with the work ethic like Austin.

Draft a RT in the mid-rounds

This draft is strong at O-line and why not take advantage of it. A guy like Chris Faulk should be around in the 3rd round, Nixon in the 4th, or Brennan Williams in the 5th. As long as he comes back from his injury, a guy like Faulk would be an instant starter at RT for us and would have the potential to move to LT later if we needed.

Draft Kenny Vacarro at #16

I have a different opinion than Lunatic on this one and don't think Vacarro is a reach at this pick. I still don't think he makes to our 1st round pick, even after a disappointing combine. But I wouldn't be upset if they drafted Richardson over Vacarro at 16 either. I think both could be great for us, and would be a good problem to have on draft day.

Get a weapon at TE like Eifert/Ertz or Get a blocking TE like Williams - Either for me

I have no preference with this one, if we got Eifert/Ertz early in the draft I would be ecstatic cause it would give Bradford another weapon and a big Redzone target and Williams would be a cheaper alternative to Mulligan and has more potential in the passing game. Given Williams is a late round pick they could end up getting both if they really wanted.

Extend Roger Saffold

He has been great in pass protection and although injured a couple times last year, I still wouldn't consider him injury prone give the circumstances in which the injuries occurred. As much as I like Dunbar, 4-3 OLBers are easier and less costly to replace than a starting LT.
DerekBrink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Would You Rather? Reply with quote

See if Warmack falls to us.

stick with our running backs

resign Hayes. He'll be cheaper and we can replace Amendola with a draft pick.

draft a RT

Neither no way Vaccaro should go that high.

neither TE shouldn't be a huge focus. There are only a few teams in the NFl that use multiple TE's to open up the passing game. I'd rather draft another WR.

Saffold, he's far more important to the team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: