Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rumor: Mike Shanahan thinks Fletcher is retiring
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Rumor: Mike Shanahan thinks Fletcher is retiring Reply with quote

http://nflspinzone.com/2013/03/01/mike-shanahan-thinks-london-fletcher-probably-retiring/?utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_campaign=b643506754-UA-36315219-12&utm_medium=email

Quote:
“I really don’t know. One thing you have to do is, you’ve got to have a mindset that there’s no way you’re going to retire,” Shanahan said, via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. “Because if you’re thinking about retirement, you’re not really sure – at least when I look at my previous years, and you look back at guys — if you’re thinking about retiring, you’re probably already retired.”

“London’s the type of guy that you don’t even want to ask him a question,” Shanahan said. “Because his mindset, he’s a warrior, how hard he’s played and what he’s done for this organization. But all those those things, you’ve got to have a game plan for if he does come back, if he doesn’t come back. You’re taking a look at your financial responsibilities, if you do have the hit that we may take. You just don’t know. So we’ve got a game plan for all scenarios, but you always hope that your great players keep on playing at a high level.”

It seems like Shanahan is of the opinion that Fletcher has thought about retirement before, like possibly last offseason and they must have had discussions that no one else knows about. I'd say Shanahan has a lot of experience in dealing with aged veterans and when he thinks they will hang up he cleats. Shanahan certainly is giving the indication that Fletcher will not play football again and I'd have to say I trust his instinct.

So, if Fletcher retires, we release Moss and release Hall that opens up 18 million dollars correct?

We can use that $ to sign an upgrade at CB, FS, RT and find a suitable replacement for Fletcher. Sounds good to me

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Slateman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprising. Man has played a lot and it's gotta be hard to keep in shape.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.redskinshogheaven.com/2013-articles/march/deeper-inside-the-offseason-plan-the-linebackers.html

Good article here about how with Fletch likely gone the lb problem becomes a major problem. With fletch retiring, there will be enough money to cover the re-signings of both Rob Jackson and Lorenzo Alexander.

He thinks Riley is our best Ilb and I agree.

Quote:
Perry Riley was neck and neck with Trent Williams last year as the team's most improved player, helping the 2010 draft class look a lot better than it had before. He's the Redskins best inside linebacker, and will soon be the most accomplished thing they have at the position. His career numbers: active for 40 games, with 24 starts, 105 tackles, and 4.5 sacks. Ignoring that the very next pick in the 2010 draft would have filled a much bigger need (CB Alterraun Verner of the Titans), and that Aaron Hernandez went 10 pick later, and that Geno Atkins went later that same round, Riley is doing incredibly well stacked up against what remained on the board in 2010 when he was selected. He's having a similar career arc to Jamar Cheney of the Eagles and Kavell Connor of the Colts, the other two LBs who have ascended to the starting lineup coming from day three of the 2010 draft. It's worth pointing out that Riley and Brandon Spikes of the Patriots have having very similar careers to date, and Spikes went two rounds before Riley did.

He shows how Orakpo and Kerrigan were great picks based off their production vs other players in their class. He tells us how drafting them in round 1 has worked out to be great value based off what other players but 1 in each draft class has done and what they are making next year. (Watt and Matthews)

He mentions the great value and what great prospects that Keenan Robinson and Muckelroy are but they need to stay healthy. Also tht De'soto has a chance to earn the back up OLB spot opposite Rob Jackson.

He sees us signing an ilb and drafting an Ilb to compete with the guys who are returning.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd really put them in a tight spot in the 2nd round.
If Minter or Ogletree fall to pick #51, you have to consider them, as they may have more value than safety/CB available.

Fletcher has to do what is best for his LIFE though.
Those dizzy spells that he encountered shouldn't be glossed over.
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Fletcher does retire & Teo is on the board @51?

You have to take him.
I'm sorry..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:

You have to take him.
I'm sorry..
Depends if Ogeltree and Minter are there like ST said. I doubt Ogeltree and Minter will be there though. I see them both going in the top 40 picks. Since that will most likely be the case, You are correct Teo will probably get a lot of consideration as well.

aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
aceinthehouse wrote:

You have to take him.
I'm sorry..
Depends if Ogeltree and Minter are there like ST said. I doubt Ogeltree and Minter will be there though. I see them both going in the top 40 picks. Since that will most likely be the case, You are correct Teo will probably get a lot of consideration as well.

Another reason I say that?

Is because say Minter & Ogeltree are off the board? (But Teo is still there somehow)

By taking Teo, you're arguably taking a top 15 talent in the 2nd rd. But that's not the only reason...Your better off even at RISK of taking Teo in the 2nd & then going CB/S, O-Line or even WR in the 3rd.

This draft is very deep at those 4 positions across the board.

So your chances of of hitting on 1 of those good players in the 3rd or even 4th rd, are pretty decent.

If you pass on Teo, Minter or ogletree, to go other positions?
Than we either need to look FA for a ILB or have Robinson starting wk-1. (presuming we let Alexander go as well) And I don't know that's such a good idea.

Heck, I'm not so sure if even Fletcher stays...that we shouldn't go
ILB (if Minter,O-tree or Teo are on the board) in the 2nd rd
CB/S in the 3rd (be a lot of talent still here...possibly Rambo)
OT in the 4th (we need a RT)
WR in 5th (presuming we don't address one in FA)
Another CB, S or RB in the 5th (spell AM & not knowing helu status)
Possibly a QB in the 6th (if Grossman is gone)
We may need a Punter in the 7th possibly or just go best available player here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokescreen. London will be back.

mike23md on the sig!
Brian23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teo is not what we need at ILB. I just don't get why people are so enamored with him.
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
Teo is not what we need at ILB. I just don't get why people are so enamored with him.

Name.
Tattoos.
Hype.

I'd much rather have Minter or Ogletree.

I just really hope the Skins don't make any desperate picks.
They really reached for Rocky McIntosh after D'Qwell Jackson was drafted by Cleveland. When Smoot left in 2005, they were somewhat forced to draft the best CB (Pacman/Antrel/Carlos Rogers) that fell.

I just hope they get value at a reasonable position.

Outside of QB, LT, and RB, I think the Skins can go just about anywhere with their selections.
BuckleyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:

No, no its not

kiltman on the sig

JMU Class of 2014
Brian23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:

Honestly, what would that do?

That's just a ridiculous idea...
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:

Anything that comes out of Shanahans mouth from now until the draft will most likely be a smokescreen. Shanahan leads other teams to believe that our new #1 (or close to #1) offseason need is now MLB. People/media will start connecting the Redskins to names like Te'o, Minter, Ogletree etc. throwing other teams off. It sounds ridiculous because it IS ridiculous but that's how the NFL works this time of year. Smokescreen after smokescreen. Just a theory...

mike23md on the sig!
Brian23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:

Anything that comes out of Shanahans mouth from now until the draft will most likely be a smokescreen. Shanahan leads other teams to believe that our new #1 (or close to #1) offseason need is now MLB. People/media will start connecting the Redskins to names like Te'o, Minter, Ogletree etc. throwing other teams off. It sounds ridiculous because it IS ridiculous but that's how the NFL works this time of year. Smokescreen after smokescreen. Just a theory...

Even if we did lose Fletcher, ILB is never going to look like our number one priority. We need DB's. That's not smokescreen...

As long as we sign Zo, we've got 3 guys that can potentially man the middle. Adding another in the draft isn't out of the equation but that's not a pressing need.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:

Even if we did lose Fletcher, ILB is never going to look like our number one priority. We need DB's. That's not smokescreen...

As long as we sign Zo, we've got 3 guys that can potentially man the middle. Adding another in the draft isn't out of the equation but that's not a pressing need.
this is true. Great point brian23. People are overreacting thinking if we lose Fletch we need to sign the highest priced ILB or draft an ILB with our 51st selection. It's not true. We need to re-sign Zo as Brian23 said, give him an opportunity to win the starting job, we need to bring in a veteran ILB who's affordable to compete for the job, and we need to sign an ILB like Reddick, Bostic, Nico Johnson or Klein in the mid rounds like we did with Riley and Keenan Robinson. We also have Muckelroy to develop as well.

Ilb has become the Rb or TE position of the NFL draft. If there isn't a Ray Lewis type in the draft, there is no point in taking an ILB in the 1st round because you can get good production out of an ILB drafted and developed for a few years in the mid rounds. Just like you can by doing the same thing with a RB or TE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: