Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Geno Smith to Buffalo Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you support the idea of Buffalo Bills drafting Geno Smith at #8?
Yes
73%
 73%  [ 28 ]
No
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
I'd rather draft another QB (T. Wilson, M. Barkley, M. Glennon, E. Manuel, R. Nassib, other)
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Keep Fitz & wait until 2014
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 38

NickChowaniec

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Geno Smith to Buffalo Thread Reply with quote

I'm sure you've all heard the news, Alex Smith was traded to the Chiefs ensuring that Geno Smith would not be taken first overall.

This leaves us with at least one team in front of us desperately in need of a QB. Arizona. If they decide to pass on Geno and go with another need or possibly another QB prospect (Matt Barkley has been the rumored favorite), do we take him? Does he get past the Raiders, or Browns? Looking at the needs of those 2 teams, it would not be wise to draft another QB (Cleveland) or create a QB dilemma (Oakland). I see him landing in our laps and Buddy picking him.

I'm in support of this move. I for one, did not want Alex Smith or any of the available options. I am in favor of taking a risk and drafting Geno Smith, who I believe is the best available QB prospect in this draft hands down. In my opinion he distanced himself as the number one QB after the combine. Geno was able to make solid throws and performed well in each of the workouts.

When most argue Geno they say he disappeared against big competition. At times yes, it is obvious that he had his struggles against some of the better schools. However, it is important to note that the West Virginia defense was ranked amongst the worst defenses in the nation (if you watch any of their games, it was sickening how horrible they were). That said, Geno was still able to lead his offense to several games generating over 50 points. Another thing to note with Smith is his confidence and love for the game. Watching the games you can see the emotion in his face and body language. He is the kind of guy who will come in and work extremely hard to get things right.

Geno Smith on RGIII, Luck, and Russell Wilson:

"Those guys changed expectations for many quarterbacks, let alone rookies," Smith said. "Those guys stepped right in and were leaders, most [of them] from Day 1. And that's one thing I took from it. No matter what age difference, where you come from or what pick you are when you're taken for that role as a quarterback in the NFL, you have to lead by example. That's the thing all those guys did."

"I'm totally confident in my abilities. I'm not cocky or trying to say I'm this all-world player right now because I have many areas where I need to grow. But I do feel like I have a great, tremendous skill-set and that I have an opportunity to showcase that. And it's something I look forward to."

"They set the bar very high," Smith said. "I want to be one of those guys that steps in and does the same thing."

Let's look at his statistics and combine numbers.

Measurements:

Height: 6'2''
Weight: 218 lbs.
Arm Length: 32.5''
Hands: 9.25''

Combine Numbers:

40 Time: 4.59* (10 yard splite: 1.59)
Verticle Jump: 33.5''*
Broad Jump: 124''* (10 ft. 4 in.)

*Top Performer

Pro Day Performance

West Virginia Pro Day (3-14-2013)

Geno Smith, QB (Senior)

Quote:
03/14/13 - 2013 West Virginia Pro Day: Thursday's pro day was attended by 28 of 32 NFL teams. The Eagles worked out Smith earlier in the week and ran him through an unrehearsed, full-scale passing workout that exceeded 80 throws. Bills general manager Buddy Nix was present as were high-ranking reps for the Chiefs (No. 1), Jaguars (No. 2), Raiders (No. 3), Browns (6) and Cardinals (7), among others. Any team interested in Smith will want to see more, and get him out of the overpracticed routine he owned at the team's indoor practice facility Thursday. If he can replicate his pro day performance in that next phase of the predraft gauntlet after a solid showing at the scouting combine, Smith solidifies a spot in the top half of the first round. - Jeff Reynolds, The Sports Xchange

03/14/13 - 2013 West Virginia Pro Day: West Virginia's campus was swimming with scouts Thursday. Quarterback Geno Smith and Tavon Austin were the star attractions. Smith showed a mastery of his 64-play scripted workout put together by his personal coach and former NFL quarterback Chris Weinke. He completed 60 of 64, with two drops by Stedman Bailey. Most impressive in the workout was his downfield touch and accuracy, zip on the move and balance throughout his compact release.
Smith's college playbook from the "Air Raid" system was mostly horizontal and crossing route dependent. Intermediate accuracy is his greatest strength. What evaluators need to see was whether Smith can throw on the move, maintain his balance and accuracy on rollouts and waggle design, and throw with zip while hitting targets at 25-plus yards and beyond. - Jeff Reynolds, The Sports Xchange

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Quote:
West Virginia QB Geno Smith confirmed a pre-draft visit with the Bills at his Pro Day on Thursday.

Bills GM Buddy Nix said he and his scouting staff would be taking a long, hard look at all the quarterback prospects in this year's draft class. He assured that they would be sure to get up close and personal with them at the NFL Combine, at their pro day or at One Bills Drive on a pre-draft visit. Nix, assistant GM Doug Whaley and Pro Personnel Director Tom Gibbons did just that Thursday as they were in attendance at the West Virginia pro day to watch QB Geno Smith. They’ll also be meeting with him again in a week’s time.

That according to Smith himself.

“I had a private workout on Monday that was with the Eagles that went well,” said Smith following his workout. “I’ve got something coming up with the Bills on the 22nd. As of right now I would expect between 10 to 12 (pre-draft visits), maybe more.”

Smith performed in front of a reported 29 NFL clubs Thursday on the Morgantown campus with several of his draft eligible college teammates.

“I feel as though I did a pretty good job of just being accurate with my throws,” said Smith. “I was 62 for 65, but I’ve got to improve. I’ve got to be 100 percent perfect. Overall I’ve had a fun time with this. I’ve always gotten good responses and really good feedback. I guess we’ll see where that goes on draft day.”

Playing in an offense that had him operate exclusively from the shotgun, Smith was asked to work under center by NFL scouts and coaches and obliged.

“They haven’t seen much of me under center, so it’s something that they all want to see, including myself,” said Smith. “I wanted to see how I would react to that. I just wanted to show that I was able to do a multitude of drops and hit a bunch of different route patterns in different areas of the field and be accurate and be able to move my feet and set up and kind of move around and do some things on the run. Just exhibit everything you would want to see from a quarterback on a pro day.”

Despite superior arm strength the West Virginia signal caller has been criticized for his deep ball accuracy. Smith believes he dispelled that criticism in his on campus workout, but feels his game tape says it all.

“The scouts and coaches don’t need to see me throw. They’ve seen it on tape. All the throws that you want to see are there,” he said. “The main thing is to get in the classroom with them. They understand who I am as a person, my background, my character. That’s really what they care about and the production and how well you were able to lead your team and the turnover ratio and the stuff that truly matters on Sundays.”

Bills GM Buddy Nix and his personnel staff have been tireless in their efforts to nail down every last detail of each top quarterback’s skill set and personality makeup.

“There will be one or two quarterbacks in this group that will rise to the top,” Nix said. “I think there’s enough talent for that to happen. The key is figuring out which one of those two that it is.”

Nix has already attended Syracuse’s pro day to watch Ryan Nassib. On Friday he’ll be at the Arkansas pro day to watch prospect Tyler Wilson throw.

“What it comes down to is each team’s evaluation of each guy,” said Nix. “What they’re looking for. We’ve got our grades that we’ve compiled and we know where they are right now.”

Nix has said there are “six or seven” quarterback prospects in this year’s draft class with attractive qualities.

“We’ve just got to decide who will best fit what we want and where to take him,” Nix said. “We’ll try not to reach for guys. We’ll go with the integrity of the board.”

College Statistics:

2012 Season Game Log

Awards and Honors

All-Big East Conference Second Team (2010)
All-Big East Conference First Team (2011)
4× Big East Offensive Player of the Week
2011 Orange Bowl Most Valuable Player
3× Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week
2× National Offensive Player of the Week (for week ending September 3, 2012; for week ending September 29, 2012)

Strengths:
- Confident; leader
- Strong work ethic
- Quick release
- Mobile; Threat to run when he has to.
- Intelligently mobile; chooses the right times to run.
- Accurate; hits tight windows.
- Arm Strength
- Doesn't turn the ball over.

Weaknesses:
- Inconsistent versus tough competition.
- Focus is spread offense.
- Footwork needs work in pocket.
- Stares down receivers
- Needs to work on throws on the run.
- Declined Senior Bowl invite.

(via NFL.com) BOTTOM LINE: Though Smith has had his ups and downs as a passer in West Virginia's prolific spread offense, NFL general managers appreciate his ultra-competitive nature, athleticism, arm strength and quick delivery. The Mountaineer turned down a Senior Bowl invitation after regressing in the second half of the season following a strong start. Smith's eye level and pocket movement can be great, but he reverted back to staring down his first read. During his sophomore season, Smith played in an offense where he frequently took snaps from center, so he might have a leg up compared to some other prospects in that regard.

(via ESPN Draft Insider):

Production: 2 (Above Average)
Height-Weight-Speed: 3 (Average)
Durability: 2 (Above Average)
Intangibles: 1 (Exceptional)

Mental Makeup: 3 (Average)
Accuracy: 3 (Average)
Release/Arm Strength: 2 (Above Average)
Pocket Mobility: 1 (Exceptional)

OFFICIAL VISIT SCHEDULED FOR MARCH 22nd!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some helpful links dealing with Smith.

NFL.com Combine/Draft Profile

CBS Sports Profile

NFL Draft Scout

ESPN Draft Profile (requires insider subscription)

WVU Sports Profile

Youtube:

Strengths/Weaknesses Video
2012 Highlights
2012 Highlights (more)
2011 Highlights
2011 Orange Bowl Highlights (MVP Performance)
WVU vs. Baylor (2012)
"Wearing the Jersey" (interview reflecting on his career at WVU)

Made Mingo from LSU look silly.

Thats pretty

^Thanks to Tommy.

Feel free to add or PM me information regarding him. I'd like to keep this as his draft report.

Better be ready for some snow, Geno.

FFMD: Bills War Room

Last edited by NickChowaniec on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is available at 8 than he's the pick IMO. Thing is I doubt he gets by Arizona so we will likely have to trade up for him
bigbadbuff23835

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to start this thread for weeks now but never got around to it. I'm right with ya on the Geno bandwagon.

#JDI
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never in my life wanted a QB more than I want Geno Smith on the Bills. That's not me saying "he's the best evar!" but he's the best we've had a chance at getting in a long, long time.

Is he a "once in a generation" prospect ala RGIII and Andrew Luck? No, of course not, that's what makes them "once in a generation" talent. Geno Smith is still easily, for me, the best QB prospect in this draft, and would have gone in the top three QB's in even last years stacked class. But again, my opinion. And I want him in Buffalo BAD.

Excellent write-up as well!

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was his hand measurement at the combine. They look huge in first pick.

EDIT Nevermind just saw that they are 9.25

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
I have never in my life wanted a QB more than I want Geno Smith on the Bills. That's not me saying "he's the best evar!" but he's the best we've had a chance at getting in a long, long time.

Is he a "once in a generation" prospect ala RGIII and Andrew Luck? No, of course not, that's what makes them "once in a generation" talent. Geno Smith is still easily, for me, the best QB prospect in this draft, and would have gone in the top three QB's in even last years stacked class. But again, my opinion. And I want him in Buffalo BAD.

Excellent write-up as well!

Thanks man! I'm with you. I'm only 21 years old so I've never seen a QB in Buffalo that has been successful (consistently - Bledsoe had 1 decent year). I'm sick of losing and signing average FA QBs. It's time to take a risk and draft "your" guy. Like you said, Geno might not be the "once in a generation" player but he's the best QB available and he'll likely be there for us. Not only does the team need him, the city and fans need him. We haven't gone into a season with much hope in our QB. I think Geno will excite the fans and give us the best chance to win.

cdavls17

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is there at 8 yes take him but do not move up to take him the bills cant afford to make that move and run the risk of him not turning out the way they want him to. I dont think arizona will go for him just because you can put Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers on that team and they will get destroyed. the oline is terrible and thats part of the reason why that team did so poorly they gave their qb 0 time to throw the ball. I think Fisher is their selection at 7 if available.

Thanks Max
Buffalo_Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
If he is there at 8 yes take him but do not move up to take him the bills cant afford to make that move and run the risk of him not turning out the way they want him to. I dont think arizona will go for him just because you can put Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers on that team and they will get destroyed. the oline is terrible and thats part of the reason why that team did so poorly they gave their qb 0 time to throw the ball. I think Fisher is their selection at 7 if available.

if you think that a QB is your guy, do what you have to to get him. it is well worth the risk IMO.

thanks for the sig NS922!

Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking;
if you hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to you and eat with you,
and you with me.
Revelation 3:20
NickChowaniec

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think we'll have to trade up far to get him if we feel the need to. I think he'll be there at 8 anyways.

NIKEJWN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all aboard too for him. I thought this weeks ago that even before the trade KC might feel like OT is a much bigger need and use the 2nd rd pick for a QB. I agree that most of you Arizona needs an OT big time and I dont know what value will be there for them in rd 2 so Eric Fisher could be a prime canidate at 7. Cleveland and Oakland are wildcards that some have mentioned and they will both be interesting to see how their situation works it self out. Oakland has been rumored to wanting Palmer to take a pay cut but they also have Terrell Pyror so I dont see them making a QB play. Cleveland has been rumored to wanting to trade one of or both Weeden and McCoy but really who in there right mind is going to give up a pick for them other than to be a back up. Cleveland scares me more than Oakland just because of the new coaching staff there, but I think they will give Weeden another go around.

Max's 2010 Annual Draft Contest Winner

Adopt a Bill 2011- SS George Wilson
CB Drayton Florence
TommyC376

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign me up.

He may be considered a pocket passer, but he can use his feet to move around the pocket ... in this gif, he turns a sack in to a 4-5 yard gain, reminds me of a Big Ben type. Not overly fast or quick but can make plays with his feet and is always looking down field.

Made Mingo from LSU look silly.

Thats pretty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting to think that Geno won't be there at 8. The Cardinals are as desperate as we are for a good QB. I don't think they will grade a lineman over a QB. I would be fine with trading up to get him. swap a few later picks and jump ahead of the Cards.

thanks for the sig NS922!

Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking;
if you hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to you and eat with you,
and you with me.
Revelation 3:20
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsGuy82 wrote:
If he is available at 8 than he's the pick IMO. Thing is I doubt he gets by Arizona so we will likely have to trade up for him

It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong about a draft selection and it sure as heck won't be the last however..I'd be SHOCKED if he makes it past Oakland.
cdavls17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dont see the raiders pulling the trigger on him at 3. IN the past they whiffed on Russell at 1 overall, then they traded a 1st (2012) and 2nd (2013) on Carson Palmer, they used a 3rd (2012) on Terrelle Pryor. If they use another high draft pick on a qb i would be shocked but then againt its the raiders. They have so many holes i see this as a trade partner with a team willing to jump ahead of philly and detroit to land milliner.

Thanks Max
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno is our Savior.

I have never been so sure of anything (football related). We need to get him, yes he could fall to 8 but he also could not. If he is still around at 5 i think we trade with Detroit to jump Cle and Arizona. Not sure what it would cost, maybe next years 2nd and this years 3/4? Not a bad price for a guy who could lead us out of a decade of losing and into a decade of winning.

Please let this happen Football Lord.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: