Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What Will Phil Emery Do 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: What Will Phil Emery Do 2 Reply with quote

We said we should do this after the combine,

As we sit around and try and get an idea or a read on what Phil Emery is going to do I am interested in what people think his strategy will be or will not be. I understand that it is purely speculation, but try to infer based on what we know.

The "Will Phil Emery" game can be a simple yes or no, or please add a more detailed response to the following questions.

1. Will Phil Emery re-sign, franchise, or allow to walk Henry Melton?

2. Will Phil Emery re-sign or allow to walk Brian Urlacher if he excepts a team friendly deal?

3. Will Phil Emery invest heavily in the free agent market?

4. Will Phil Emery invest in what we would consider a teir 1 free agent [ex. Albert, Levitre, Cook]?

5. Who will be Phil Emery's biggest free agent signing?

6. Will Phil Emery take BPA in the 1st round, draft the Bears most pressing need that offersd value or look to trade down?

7. Will Phil Emery draft an interior OLmen in the 1st round or will he not see the value?

8. Will Phil Emery address the LB position in the 1st or 2nd round?

9. Will Phil Emery draft multiple players on the OL?

10. Will Phil Emery have any surprise cuts or players traded?
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will franchise him and work out a long term deal like Forte. You simply do not allow a 26 year old Pro Bowl player walk so you can sign a bunch of free agents, especially when you have enough cap room to be some what active. The Bears should not open up a need at DT so they can fill a need at C.

2. Will Phil Emery re-sign or allow to walk Brian Urlacher if he excepts a team friendly deal?

At this point I think they will re-sign him when his demands of the money go down a little.

No, once we franchise Melton, who is ranked in the top 5 free agents anyways, we will not have the budget to go crazy. I think the Bears will sign a couple of 2nd tier players to stop the bleeding at OG or OT and maybe TE. The money situation added to the fact that Emery was brought here to build through the draft and I think a big free agent period is not in the cards.

4. Will Phil Emery invest in what we would consider a teir 1 free agent [ex. Albert, Levitre, Cook]?

No, I believe that we will be squarly in the 2nd teir of free agency looking for solid competent players or older stronger players that will come at a reduced price. This is not about buildingthe team we are a 10-6 team and we need a couple of patches and to use the draft to make big moves.

Jermon Bushrod I feel will be the #1 target, but if he gets priced out of the Bears range [5 million], I think Gosder Cherilus, Brandon Moore and Delanie Walker are names to watch.

6. Will Phil Emery take BPA in the 1st round, draft the Bears most pressing need that offered value or look to trade down?

If the Bears do not sign a free agent or 2 they will go OL no matter what.

If a couple of positions are signed then I think they could go with Eifert, Austin or a LB.

7. Will Phil Emery draft an interior OLmen in the 1st round or will he not see the value?
I think he would draft an interior OLmen because this draft has 2 elite interior players in Warmack and Cooper and I think Fluker could be a star at LG. I think with Kromer and Trestman the Bears will place more value on the OG/C position.

With Urlacher back I am leaning towards NO. The LB position will be stable and the Bears can draft a LB in the 4th round to be developed at MLB.

Yes, we need youth and depth a couple of things that have killed us recently.

Hester, Davis, Spaeth and my surprise player would be Garza, who reports say the coaches are not happy with.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What Will Phil Emery Do 2 Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
We said we should do this after the combine,

As we sit around and try and get an idea or a read on what Phil Emery is going to do I am interested in what people think his strategy will be or will not be. I understand that it is purely speculation, but try to infer based on what we know.

The "Will Phil Emery" game can be a simple yes or no, or please add a more detailed response to the following questions.

Yes, he is 26 years old and is getting stronger, so he will only get better against the run. If we would (for some reason) go back to a scheme with two run stuffers at DT, he has the ability to move to DE as well. Too valuable of a commodity to lose.

Re-sign. Brian will be back for less, but no more than a two year year deal, and Brian would not get another contract regardless of health. We don't have a viable replacement and we don' yet have a mold to Tucker's defense. It's easy to say what he will run, but he may make changes to improve the defense.

No. Maybe he will make numerous deals, but only 1 would be a sizable contract, and nothing like the Peppers deal. Franchising Melton will prevent being able to sign big deals anyway. He came into an amazing situation, where there are so many expiring contracts. This allows him to mold the team to his/Trestman's liking, and huge free agent contracts often turn sour.

Levitre. Neither Albert or Cook would not be tier 1 to me as one has injury concerns and the other has not produced (granted, system and personnel held him back).

Bushrod or Vollimer. Bushrod is not an elite tackle, but is young, Vollimer is a great talent that will miss money due to his back injury. Either is a fantastic pick up for our line, and can be our LT for 6+ years.

6. Will Phil Emery take BPA in the 1st round, draft the Bears most pressing need that offersd value or look to trade down?

The first two rounds will not be BPA, unless it coincides with our needs of OL (any) or TE. If there are second round talents at these areas and nothing screaming of a big drop off in talent, he will trade down. In the latter rounds he will likely go for BPA though.

Emery knows he invested heavily in Forte and Kromer knows how valuable it is for a QB to be able to step up into a pocket. Jay has never had the luxury of stepping up into a clean pocket. So a great guard will not be overlooked.

Not unless there is a weak group available in OL and TE, which I highly doubt. I'd give it no chance in the first and 5% chance in the second.

Yes, it is a major need and we have so many expiring contracts on the line, and under-performing players. He has little choice unless he can strike gold in free agency and sign numerous players for smaller contracts (unlikely).

Davis and/or Spaeth would not be a surprise, but I think he finds a trade for Hester, for a low round pick (6th) rather than cut him. Some teams were terrible in the return game, and it is well known Hester brings a level of excitement to the game. If there is a surprise cut, I think it will be Garza. He's due just over $2 mil, and is declining rapidly. I don't think he would start this year unless there is just a major lack of talent on the line.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: