Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chance of top three T's being taken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Chance of top three T's being taken Reply with quote

With Star Lotulelei having a heart condition I see a very possible chance that all three of the top LT's are taken before 11. What do we do in that senario. I say trade down and grab 2-3 OL's with what we get. Hopefully we can grab a top three with 11 but Im worried it won't be there. Or do we go with Warmack/Cooper or even reach for Millner. Just looking for opinions here.
lakeroy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooper, Johnthan Banks, or one of the Rush LBs

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeroy wrote:
Cooper, Johnthan Banks, or one of the Rush LBs

Granted, it may not be as huge of an issue to Pagano because we play zone, but I still feel like people are overrating Banks. Tomorrow will be telling, but I won't be shocked if he doesn't manage to break into the 4.4's on his 40. Could even see him easily in the mid 4.5's.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Chance of top three T's being taken Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
With Star Lotulelei having a heart condition I see a very possible chance that all three of the top LT's are taken before 11. What do we do in that senario. I say trade down and grab 2-3 OL's with what we get. Hopefully we can grab a top three with 11 but Im worried it won't be there. Or do we go with Warmack/Cooper or even reach for Millner. Just looking for opinions here.

Looks like Lotulelei doesn't have a heart condition and its possible that high sodium levels from losing so much weight in such a short period of time (he reportedly lost 11lbs in the 3 days leading up to the combine because of being so busy/traveling) may have caused the heart reading to be weird. I guess the same thing happened to Frank Alexander last year or two years ago (whenever he was...haha)

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still buy heavily into position premium. I'm fine with drafting Cooper at #11 if our plan for him is as Hardwick's successor at center and that he'll be played at G in the interim (the same thing was done with Alex Mack, Eric Wood, and Mike Pouncey by their respective teams), and while I'd obviously prefer a trade back, #11 hasn't in recent history been "overpaying" to land a high-end center; not to mention I suspect that given D'Alessandris' blocking scheme and the guys playing center previous for both McCoy and Wiz that Molk may be undersized for their preference.

I'm not opposed to Werner, if there, at #11, but as of right now Mingo and Jordan (who I'm convinced is going Top 5 at this point), are the only OLB's I'm comfortable with taking there. This class really just doesn't have great depth, and I'm not convinced that Cornelius Washington and Jamie Collins don't have higher ceilings as edge-rushers than Werner does.

Unless we're getting a legitimate lockdown guy, I look at our defensive system and I don't see a scheme that make spending a 1st round pick on a CB necessary. Yes, yes, Jammer got torched last season and Cason was terrible. Both of those guys were also horrific fits for the scheme (Cason pretty much always, once he was asked to play anywhere but the slot; and Jammer once his short area quickness started to fade along with his long-speed - honestly I don't think Jammer would have looked as bad last season if he had a competent safety that wasn't biting on every play-action fake thrown his way like Bigby was). We showed A LOT of Cover-1 looks last year and Jammer isn't really cut out for that (in terms of where his strengths lie) as a boundary corner. The difference between Jonathan Banks (who would require a 1st or 2nd to acquire) and Terry Hawthorne (who would require a 4th or 5th to acquire) in our scheme is pretty minimal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why we can't exclude the idea to take our future LT during Free Agency.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepere Gustave wrote:
That's why we can't exclude the idea to take our future LT during Free Agency.

Well, unless that future LT is willing to come at near bargain basement prices we can. We can't afford to pay a proven LT $10m/yr without a TON of stars aligning in a perfect-and-not-very-likely manner, unless we just absolutely gut the depth of our roster (at which point we're not going to win squat because when injuries happen, which they always do, we'll be dragged down by having literal scrubs on the 2nd level of the DC).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the combine info I think it's very likely all 3 T's are gone before we draft.

Lane Johnson will be the steal of this draft. I have him #1 on my overall want list right now.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
sanitizer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our best chance of moving down is if the Jets pass on Cordarrelle Patterson (Jets are the only team ahead of us I see taking WR) and he's available at 11 and someone wants to leap Miami to get him. I think its a strong possibility.

This situation only interests me if the top 3 tackles are taken, but if it was up to me, somehow some way Eric Fisher drops, and if not then Lane Johnson does, those guys have the look of true franchise LT's.

A guy I really like is Kyle Long as well as a potential 2nd round pick, the guy can play across the line, and with what we currently have, I will take versatility all day!!!
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 11 we will get one of the three tackles or Warmack. I am ok with staying where we are and taking the best lineman to fall to us. In the second I am really starting to warm up to Frederick who would play guard for us if Hardwick returns but eventually would play center.

Johnson, Frederick, Abdoushi in the first 3 would give us a shot at winning our division.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
At 11 we will get one of the three tackles or Warmack. I am ok with staying where we are and taking the best lineman to fall to us. In the second I am really starting to warm up to Frederick who would play guard for us if Hardwick returns but eventually would play center.

Johnson, Frederick, Abdoushi in the first 3 would give us a shot at winning our division.

I REALLY like Frederick (i'm one of his biggest fans in this draft), but i dont think he's the right fit for this scheme, i'd rather have Barrett Jones there. He reminds me a lot of Alex Mack from cal a few years ago (a little bit worse though), where he was a C that could play OG and RT in the NFL, really smart kid who will set up a D and is a good fit to play G and eventually slide over to C.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Neutral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if there are actually four top tackles in this draft? I know it sounds crazy, but hear me out on this.

The new OL coach Joe D'Alessandris has been an OL coach with two previous teams. He was with Kansas City from 2008-2009. In 2008, the Chiefs spent their first round pick on Branden Albert. Albert was a LG in college. The scouting reports on him suggest that he was not initially looked at as a LT prospect, and that there was disagreement about whether he could handle the position. From 2010-2012, D'Alessandris was with Buffalo, who spent their second round pick in 2012 on Cordy Glenn. He also played LG in college, though not exclusively. And, his scouting reports also suggest that he would not succeed at LT. He's handled the switch so far. Bills fans seem to be impressed with him. Albert's been a success for the Chiefs.

So, is this just coincidence? Or, could the Chargers target one of the OGs intending to move him to left tackle?

I think this makes Chance Warmack a viable possibility for the Chargers, especially if the top 3 OTs are off the board. Watching some clips of him play, I'm having a hard time seeing why he couldn't be successful as a tackle. He looks nimble on his feet and is quick when sliding laterally. The measurables are there. He has the same bulk and arm length as Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson. The only knock seems to be his height. I would think that would be a positive, though, as it makes him better able to defend against a bull rush.

What do you guys think? Is there something to this?
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be thrilled to get Warmack. I would rather have one of the top three LT's but all signs point to Warmack being a stud in the NFL. Not sure if we would move him out of the OG position or if he would be able to but I'd take him with the 11th overall and be perfectly content. Latest Mocks have all three LT's gone by our pick with Warmack still available. There are many FA LT's this year who could also come in and play the position well. So, how do we play Free Agency. Do we chase a LT and hope for Warmack or chase our OG's and hope to draft a LT. If we think we can move Warmack outside and still be a elite player than I say FA OG and draft one of the FOUR top OL's.
lakeroy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
What if there are actually four top tackles in this draft? I know it sounds crazy, but hear me out on this.

The new OL coach Joe D'Alessandris has been an OL coach with two previous teams. He was with Kansas City from 2008-2009. In 2008, the Chiefs spent their first round pick on Branden Albert. Albert was a LG in college. The scouting reports on him suggest that he was not initially looked at as a LT prospect, and that there was disagreement about whether he could handle the position. From 2010-2012, D'Alessandris was with Buffalo, who spent their second round pick in 2012 on Cordy Glenn. He also played LG in college, though not exclusively. And, his scouting reports also suggest that he would not succeed at LT. He's handled the switch so far. Bills fans seem to be impressed with him. Albert's been a success for the Chiefs.

So, is this just coincidence? Or, could the Chargers target one of the OGs intending to move him to left tackle?

I think this makes Chance Warmack a viable possibility for the Chargers, especially if the top 3 OTs are off the board. Watching some clips of him play, I'm having a hard time seeing why he couldn't be successful as a tackle. He looks nimble on his feet and is quick when sliding laterally. The measurables are there. He has the same bulk and arm length as Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson. The only knock seems to be his height. I would think that would be a positive, though, as it makes him better able to defend against a bull rush.

What do you guys think? Is there something to this?
Maybe Dallas Thomas in the 2nd round if we can't get an OT in the 1st round

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chance Warmack would get destrooooooyed at LT

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: