Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

MLB Manti Te'o is on the board @#51. Do you take him?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you draft Manti Te'o in the 2nd rd, if he's available?
Yes...without hesitation
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
No....way, no how
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Maybe...depends what's available at that pick
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 20

footy_29

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing up Brandon Spikes is a good call in the sense that he was drafted too high as shown by the fact that he is a two down LB on a poor defense. When you can find a better player in the fourth, like Riley, it shows you that the value was poor.

That's not to say that Te'o is headed for a huge slide but teams are going to look at Spikes as a pro and note that as a negative. The first 10 yards helps but he has shown himself to be restricted to a 3-4 linebackeras a run-stopper. London used to be very fast, and he's probably still faster. This is a passing league and you need fast LBs who can cover...doesn't bode well for Te'o.

Didn't think I would say this in August, but I would pass on him - there are better athletes at need positions, and players I see having greater on-field success.
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll trust Bruce Allen & Shanahan to make the decision for the 2nd rd pick.

The D-Backs looked very good at the combine. Lots of speed out there.
Also was very impressed with some WR's as well.

I'm taken back on Teo.
Part of me wants to get this kid and have Fletcher mentor him, as we will definitely need an ILB when he retires. I also believe he has been very distracted by all the media on his story. He seems like a good kid who just wants to play football & get past this stuff.

Another part of me wants to just go a different direction and not get involved in the media attention he will give to whomever drafts him. I like the low amount of drama in Redskins land, as the players can just concentrate on football and getting healthy. I also saw a lot of talent at the combine over the weekend.

I do think I've gone from a definite "yes" to a ..lets see who's on the board.

But I won't be upset, if we draft him either. Some players are just better football players and play makers, than workout warriors.

If we based all our decisions off 40 times, Alfred Morris would not be a Redskin with his monster 4.67 40.

I was faster than that in H.S.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points Footy and Ace. I'm definitely in Aces category as far as wait and see now and when we first started this topic I was a definite yes.

Footy brings up a great point about someone over drafting him. With all the stuff surrounding Teo and the question marks, you'd think he'd slide like Rambo and Mathieu to the mid rounds. I do believe he'll be taken before the third though but I'm not convinced he's only a 2 down lb, but i do agree with Footy29 that 2 down lbs shouldn't be taken before the mid rounds, it's like taking a Rb that high who isn't amazing- wasted pick.

Here are some things Teo looks better at during the combine.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1543637-breaking-down-manti-teos-nfl-combine-performance?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Quote:
The first drill Te'o and the linebackers did on the field was the shuffle drill. He didn't look fluid, and his hips were stiff.

From NFL Network's coverage, Mayock thought Te'o was trying too hard. Given the way he struggled early with the broad jump and 40-yard dash, it makes sense that he was putting in extra effort, but the fact remains that Te'o didn't look smooth in this drill.

Te'o looked better in the bag drill, looking smoother and more confident with his movements. He kept his head up and let his feet do the work.

Next up were the drop-back drills, where linebackers show scouts what kind of hip-flex they posses while backpedalling. Te'o did a fine job in this drill, displaying the same athleticism and fluidity that garnered him seven interceptions for the Fighting Irish last season.

Te'o struggled with his footing a couple of times and actually fell down in the pass-rushing drills, but he looked much better overall in these field drills than he did on the track.

Grade: B-

Vertical Jump

After a short rest, the linebackers hit the drills again, and Te'o looked much more comfortable.

The vertical jump, much like the broad jump, measures how explosive a player is with his legs and core.

Te'o performed well in this drill, posting a mark of 33 inches—the eighth-best total of all linebackers. Ogletree out-jumped him by one-half of an inch, but in the grand scheme of things, this doesn't amount to anything.

The thing about Teo is, he seems to be a solid cover MLB. He did well in those drills, he had 7 ints last year at ND. I'd have to believe he's an every down MLB at the moment.

I think he's a football player, not a track athlete. Another guy who performed similar to Teo was Ray Maualuga who was drafted early round 2 #38.

Ray Maualuga ran a 4.86 40 and has been a starting MLB for the bengals the last few years as their D was solid and a major reason they made the playoffs.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000145497/article/manti-teos-slow-40yard-dash-does-not-alarm-nfl-gms?campaign=Ext_Email_NL_4_NFL&cvosrc=Ext.Email.NL.4.NFL

Manti Teo's slow 40 time does not alarm gms.

Quote:
As with all prospects, college game film takes precedence over combine drills. "If a middle linebacker runs a 4.82 but he is instinctive and quick in a short area, the 40-yard dash time doesn't matter," one AFC general manager said. "At that position what matters is they are productive and make plays."

One scout told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport on Tuesday that Te'o's 40 time was not enough to make him re-do his film work on the linebacker.

New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese suggested teams might start talking themselves out of a good football player if they put too much stock in Te'o's combine performance and "Catfish" soap opera at the expense of his Fighting Irish tape. "We try not to do that," Reese said. "We don't put our head in the sand, but we don't overanalyze the information we get either."

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: