Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Drafting Gore's Replacement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 22644
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
christine michael jumped a 43 vert!

Christine Michael
Texas A&M
5-10
220
4.54 off 40
1.51 10 split
27 reps
43 vert
125 broad
9.38

thats impressive



He was my secret darkhorse late round pick-up. When I read that we interviewed Luke Joeckel, I wondered why we wanted to talk to a guy we have no chance of drafting. The only reason I could think of is that we are interested in one of his teammates.


Like last year when people thought we were watching Gabbert, but were really watching Aldon.

Edit: Meant two years ago.....time flies.
_________________


Last edited by SoCalNiner on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
48 1/2ers


Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 2417
Location: UCI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
christine michael jumped a 43 vert!

Christine Michael
Texas A&M
5-10
220
4.54 off 40
1.51 10 split
27 reps
43 vert
125 broad
9.38

thats impressive



He was my secret darkhorse late round pick-up. When I read that we interviewed Luke Joeckel, I wondered why we wanted to talk to a guy we have no chance of drafting. The only reason I could think of is that we are interested in one of his teammates.


Like last year when people thought we were watching Gabbert, but were really watching Aldon.

Theres alot of guys we could be spying on, Damontre Moore who went head to head against Joeckel more than anyone! Ryan Swope who would fill a position of need, Sean Porter could be a late round OLB we pick up too.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninerfanwheelz


Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Posts: 11485
Location: Kempes on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
christine michael jumped a 43 vert!

Christine Michael
Texas A&M
5-10
220
4.54 off 40
1.51 10 split
27 reps
43 vert
125 broad
9.38

thats impressive



He was my secret darkhorse late round pick-up. When I read that we interviewed Luke Joeckel, I wondered why we wanted to talk to a guy we have no chance of drafting. The only reason I could think of is that we are interested in one of his teammates.


Yep. Last year in an interview at the combine, RG3 was talking about teams that he interviewed with and he said, "I talked with the 49ers but I'm pretty sure they just wanted to know about my boy Kendall Wright."

Probably explains why the Bengals interviewed Geno Smith
_________________


BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I hear within 5 years the fans at Jags games will be able to vote via Twitter on the in-game playcalls.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NINERFAN_4_LIFE


Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 12511
Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
AndyLeesAunt wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Or we'll throw more. Now that we have Kap, throwing more isn't as frightening a consideration as it once was, is it?


I agree that we will be throwing more and I have complete confidence in Kaep. The only thing is that our o-line is built to run the ball and our d is made for long sustained offensive drives. I would love to be the type of team that can score in a hurry and at will although not at the cause of our defense. We rarely substitute given the lack of depth on the defensive side of the ball.

Would our d be able to last a whole season with this possible high flying offense? I personally am not so sure it would.


There is, rightly a lot of love here for Hunter and James. Consequently a bit of unwillingness to face the reality that there are few if any successful backs of heir size in the NFL. The very few of their size there are (although none are as short as Hunter) also are among the fastest guys in the league. There are no successful backs of their size and speed in the league. So I, for one, think you are right to be wondering when will be the right time to look for a replacement for Gore because I doubt we have one on the team now.

The problem is that with Hunter and James and Dixon there is no room for another back without getting rid of one or two of them. Dixon is our only power back but he could easily go if we had another bigger back that was better than him. The question is whether this is the year to begin that process or whether we can afford to wait another year or two.


I think hunter has proven he is an NFL running back. his size doesnt prevent him from doing anything other than pass block, which is really the only flaw in his game. hes very explosive and was playing exceptionally well this season before he was injured. maybe you just dont remember but in the limited action he saw he was phenomenal. he rarely went down on first contact and if you give the guy space he will make you pay. Granted, we dont know how he will come back from his injury, Achilles can be career threatening from what I have heard. Im not saying he is gore's replacement (because gore is the best passpro rb in the league imo) but that he can be a role player for our offense. that means a limited number of snaps and not 20 touches like gore has gotten. Has his size prevented him from producing on the field? no, partly because despite being simply SHORT he has quick feet and powerful legs. He is short not small. he certainly is thicker than lamike.

ray rice 5'8 212
frank gore 5'9 217
mjd 5'7 208

kendall hunter 5'7 200
lmj 5'9 195

obviously they arent as powerful as those three guys but to say they is too small ridiculous. especially because both guys are so explosive, not to mention they are 23 and 24.

Its funny how you always talk about how you want a darren sprolles type and yet he is 5'6 190, so he is SHORTER than Kendall. yet he is considered one of the most dangerous players in the league, as a role player in a high powered offense

I think bruce miller could carry the ball pretty well if asked to do so. Hes only ever made plays when hes had the chance. Hes pretty quick and powerful, I would love to see it happen in the preseason just to see how he does with 20 carries.

I disagree that there is "no room" for someone else to come in, we essentially had a dead roster spot with brandon jacobs for the entire season and it was fine. I think we could bring in someone else, especially if they are going to play STs. we could keep lmj, hunter, gore, dixon, bruce and a powerback rookie and I think we would be ok. in this scenario we would have to be very careful to give gore his touches early and late in games. He establishes the tone for our offense very well with his patient style as it allows our OL to do their job and get a push. I also think we got away from the downhill running style later in the year which wasnt good. Im all for this read option shenanigans if we still maintain our downhill style. we have been running old power schemes disguised in wacky formations and personnel groupings since harbaugh got here so I do expect us to try new things, I just dont want to lose the identity that we have built over the past few years, I want to expand on it. running an uptempo style on offense but still pound the rock with our stable of able backs would be highly beneficial, especially because it would continue to chew up clock and rest the d but still gain big chunks and score a lot of TDs. I also think we should have some read option plays where kaep can start to run and if he doesnt like what he sees he can throw it. thats when our offense will truely become unstoppable.


so yes, Im all for drafting another rb or two to bring into camp to fight (and possibly play on the PS) if we are somehow unable to dump some of the extra picks we have or trade them for more picks in future years.
_________________
imani wrote:
We got so lucky last season

^a seahawks fan in reference to 2013

FOREVER FAITHFUL
the niners lost the superbowl
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
Some Seattle fans are really getting out of hand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39796
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter's a decent pass blocker for his size too. Got much better at it as time went on.

I wouldn't draft a RB until the 6th or 7th, if at all. I'm not okay with putting a 5th or better rd RB on waivers to make the PS.. no thanks. Competition's fine... but if anything, select a late rounder to compete with big Dix and Hampton.
_________________

___
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group