Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Garrett speaks, Ratliff to return in 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textaz03

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Garrett speaks, Ratliff to return in 13 Reply with quote

http://m.dallascowboys.com/s/30667/newsDetails?itemPos=2&itemUri=-807327654%2F1310125131019101561221571114115

Quote:
So will Ratliff be coming back to the Cowboys in 2013?

"Absolutely," Garrett said abruptly here Friday during his press conference at the scouting combine.

Quote:
When the subject was revisited, Garrett said getting Ratliff back to 100 percent again is the No. 1 priority.

Well, many of you will be disappointed. I hope it's at a reduced cost with a renegotiated contract. We need CAP relief and this could have provided it. However, having Rat back frees up our options in the offseason for the Dline.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratliff is perfect for the T2 (or was) so I am not upset at all

Sig courtesy of mack.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wouldn't be surprised if we cut him.

However, if he does come back I would hope it would be on a restructured deal with a stipulation that he's gone if he screws up again.

^^^Deadpulse
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Garrett speaks Ratliff to return in 13 Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
http://m.dallascowboys.com/s/30667/newsDetails?itemPos=2&itemUri=-807327654%2F1310125131019101561221571114115

Quote:
So will Ratliff be coming back to the Cowboys in 2013?

"Absolutely," Garrett said abruptly here Friday during his press conference at the scouting combine.

Quote:
When the subject was revisited, Garrett said getting Ratliff back to 100 percent again is the No. 1 priority.

Well, many of you will be disappointed. I hope it's at a reduced cost with a renegotiated contract. We need CAP relief and this could have provided it. However, having Rat back frees up our options in the offseason for the Dline.

2nd chance after 2nd chance for this guy to preform. Hopefully he can, not a huge fan. Was more than ready to cut ties, this has to be a reduced deal...

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

If Ratliff is our starting NT, I will officially write off our 2013 season now.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is we want a penetrating NT more than a POA guy anyway so I think hes better there than UT though I think he rotates with Price and Lissemore

Sig courtesy of mack.
matt79511

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of teams employ two penetrators rather than one penetrator and a space eater. And plenty of teams employ scumbags, too. I don't think any team really has a "We don't have bad character guys" rule, Garrett just pretends to. Also, I think Ratliff's speed and athleticism have declined far more so than his strength at the point of attack (which has always been way underrated on this board, weighing 330 =/= being strong and playing with leverage).

Basically there's far better reasons to write off the season.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully he is coming back at a reduced salary. If healthy I think the guy can play and contribute at a solid level in Kiffin's defense. He can at least keep a spot warm while we develop his replacement. As far as character issues are concerned Ratliff is no choir boy but lets face it the NFL isn't a Boy Scouts league. It takes all kinds to contribute.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems in spite of all of the ideas and suggestions many of us have offered in ways to reduce the cap, move some players for picks, get young and address the O and D line issues for the future, it appears this team is going to try to win or compete for a title with in house personell.

So, with that said, if Rat is healthy and can stay healthy, I feel he could make a decent DT/DE for us on a rotational basis. But damn, I am not happy with keeping older, underperforming, oft injured players.
Northland

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
It seems in spite of all of the ideas and suggestions many of us have offered in ways to reduce the cap, move some players for picks, get young and address the O and D line issues for the future, it appears this team is going to try to win or compete for a title with in house personell.

So, with that said, if Rat is healthy and can stay healthy, I feel he could make a decent DT/DE for us on a rotational basis. But damn, I am not happy with keeping older, underperforming, oft injured players.

I hear what you are saying and do think that with respect to Ratliff he can contribute in the new scheme, hopefully at a reduced rate. Hey, if he appears broken down, or not motivated then I have no issues cutting him loose. In a perfect world he comes back cheaper, plays hard, and holds a spot for a youngster to develop and eventually take over.
Justin Hoover82

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping Ratliff is the smart thing to do imo. Outside of Rat and Hatcher we don't have any proven depth. All we have behind them 2 is Spears and Lissemore and Spears will most likely be cut from what I heard. Obviously we are going to draft a dt at some point in the draft likely high but we still need depth and dt's take awhile to adjust to the nfl game alot of the times.

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

Yes. Never made sense to finally switch to a D that perfect fit Ratliff's skill set, and then release him. I want to see how he does this year. If he's injured or doesn't perform, we can release him next year. I don't know what people are talking about with creating all this cap this year. Cutting Ratliff will only create 1mil in cap space for 2013, unless he is designated a June 1 cut, then it would create 5mil in cap space for 2013, while counting 4mil against the cap in 2014. I think it's best to bite the bullet, and not sign free agents this year, and open up a ton of cap space next year.

Cutting Ratliff, Free, Sensabaugh, and Spears in 2013 saves little to no cap space, whereas in 2014 cutting them frees up significant amounts of cap space, so why not just keep them for another year. Dump Connor. It will save 3mil in cap space in 2013.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Yes. Never made sense to finally switch to a D that perfect fit Ratliff's skill set, and then release him. I want to see how he does this year. If he's injured or doesn't perform, we can release him next year. I don't know what people are talking about with creating all this cap this year. Cutting Ratliff will only create 1mil in cap space for 2013, unless he is designated a June 1 cut, then it would create 5mil in cap space for 2013, while counting 4mil against the cap in 2014. I think it's best to bite the bullet, and not sign free agents this year, and open up a ton of cap space next year.

Cutting Ratliff, Free, Sensabaugh, and Spears in 2013 saves little to no cap space, whereas in 2014 cutting them frees up significant amounts of cap space, so why not just keep them for another year. Dump Connor. It will save 3mil in cap space in 2013.

We have already dedicated a thread to the fact that the cap space this coming year is a dead issue. We will have little to none. Many of us have already conceeded that the 2013 season will more than likely be a wash.

As far as Ratliff is concerned, it may save a little under the cap but what pi$$es me off is watching these guys, who are collecting money, keeping us in cap prison, standing on the sidelines for half the season in warm up suits. You know what, trade his arse, let him go collect social security for some other team and get me a GOSH DARN player! Get me someone that could come in and play 4 quarters for 16 weeks. AND be productive. he hasn't been a difference maker in years.

And as for hanging onto players that are not performing because they are a cap hazard, as I mentioned earlier, this season will more than likely be a wash anyway.

I have stated my reasons for this line of thinking over and over but here they are bullet by bullet:

1. No offensive line to speak of. No money or cap space to sign anyone, rookies cannot come in and dominant at that position, especially needing more than 1.

2. New Defensive Co. A whole new scheme to learn and we do not have some of the players in house that are required to run this defense succesfully. Meaning we have to draft at least 2 (DT,S) and HOPE they get it in the 1st year? That's a lot on a draft class.

3. Several players returning form injury, can they stay healthy: Lee, Bryant, Murray, Carter. These are core young players that we NEED for an entire season.

4.Veteran players starting to show their age: Ware, Ratliff.

5. The good news is players like Romo and Witten had career years last yearin spite of all of the aforementioned problems.

There is one glaring problem that really cannot be measured by a simple statistic. Fundamentals. This team has not been fundamentaly sound since the days of Jimmy Johnson. Fundamentals include:

1. Protect the football, do not force bad passes or try to make somethingout of nothing. Low percentage plays are called that for a reason.

2. Play smart football. Penalty free. Do not negate a 5 or 6 yard gain on 1st down with a holding, false start, illegal hands to the face etc penalty. We are guilty of these too often. Conversely, do not give the opposition a 1st down via penalty.

3. Know your assignments. This is a BIG on especially with a new defensive scheme coming in. How often have our LB's or DB's been caught outof position? I understand you cannot make a stop on every play, but when it matters we always seem to get burned out of position ie: Wash at Dal Thanksgiving day. We needed a stop inthe 4th and they ran right over us.

4. Good play calling and clock management. This falls squarley on the HC. I lke Garrett and think he couldbe a solid HC, but it is clear he is still green in this role.

So with all that said, I do not see a promising season in 2013. But what the heck, that is why they play the game right?
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team is going nowhere this year...keep the guys that suck (Free...Spears...Ratt...Sensi...whoever else that wont free up much cap space this year) and release them next year so Dallas will have cap money to work with to sign guys like Dez and Lee and bring in others. So play Ratt and see if he has anything left. A lot of people have been beggen to get Ratt off the NT position...well here is his chance...

Peace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: